Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Hardest game(s) you've ever played

solid_snake
Chocobo

Member 3413

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:33 AM #1 of 134
Hardest game(s) you've ever played

as for me, the hardest game i played was resident evil 4 on the ps2, then it was mgs3 snake eater on the ps2, also gta san andreas and vice city.

resident evil 4 was realy hard cuz the ammo you get is pretty low compared to the recovery items and there are so many enemies in the game that wether you like it or not, you have to fight them with guns. the number of enemies that come at you are just too many as compared to other resident evil games, in them there are only 3 or maximum 4 enemies in a room or an area and in re4 the enemies just keep coming like about 9 or 10 and those guys arent as dumb as zombies which makes it even more harder.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Keep your friends close and your enemies....closer.
masa
This is my boomstick

Member 11207

Level 6.05

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:59 AM #2 of 134
Most difficult game? The original Gradius was one that made me toss my controler over and over again. Resident Evil 4 was evil too, great game, but not enough ammo. Then thats followed closely by Guilty Gear XX, not the entire game, just those damned Mission Modes. Rounding out my list would probably be Duke Nukem 3D...you're just so killable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:01 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 03:01 AM #3 of 134
Ikaruga, Mushihimesama, Ibara, Image Fight, Mighty Morphen Power Rangers, Battletoads, Terminator vs. Robocop, Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Ninja Gaiden, F-Zero GX, Ghouls and Ghosts, Contra III, Gitaroo Man, IQ, Metal Slug 3~

Find me someone who's managed to complete them (1 credit for the arcade titles) and I'll show you a rare gamer.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:32 AM #4 of 134
Doom 64 was all but impossible if played on the hardest difficulty. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that was. Maybe "I Wanna Die" or something. I once played the final level on this difficulty and turned on cheats. I realized that, without invulnerability, I would have died in mere seconds.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 09:09 AM #5 of 134
Ultraman for the SNES. The controls make little to no sense in that game, and it did not come with a manual. Frustration ensues.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Void
i turn black thoughts to red

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:14 AM #6 of 134
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Doom 64 was all but impossible if played on the hardest difficulty. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that was. Maybe "I Wanna Die" or something. I once played the final level on this difficulty and turned on cheats. I realized that, without invulnerability, I would have died in mere seconds.
Most likely Nightmare... that's always the hardest difficulty.

---

Hardest game? Probably Abadox for NES. I never got past the first level without the cheat which I still remember after like 15 years --> AA up, BB down, AB start start.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The only way out is through.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:41 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 10:41 AM #7 of 134
Hardest games I've ever played? Heh... NES games away!

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Hard hard hard game. It'd hit nightfall and creatures would be uberized. If you ever wanted to quit you'd have to copy some essay-length password. Gets lots of criticism but I'll be damned if it isn't good old-school fun. The game will tell you where to go and what to do, but about 99% of the time, the tips are HORRENDOUSLY VAGUE. Near the end you have to use some item on a crystal I think entering Dracula's Castle. It's some really expensive item and if you miss, you have to go back, work up, and buy it again.

Solomon's Key - If you've ever played this game, I don't need to expand any more. If you haven't touched it, download it. And prepare to cry.

And a Saturn goodie --
Radiant Silvergun - Beaten it legit before. Incredible game that never saw the light of day in the western world. And it was a horrid crime, as this game is stupendous as well as ridiculously hard. Bullets everywhere and only a single place on screen to hide at times.

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Aug 19, 2006 at 10:44 AM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:10 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 11:10 AM #8 of 134
Well, there are several that've made me frustrated, however, there was one I've never been able to complete EVER. And it would be...

...Castle Quest for the NES. Goddamnit. You play as this weird "knight" who looks more like a Muskateer and the entire point of the game is to collect keys and open doors. Everything's color-coded, so you'd know if you have the right key. However, the game is just such a bastard at giving you even relatively easy access to these keys and their doors. Enemies are near impossible to defeat, and it just SUCKS. Man, fuck that game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:16 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 06:16 PM #9 of 134
most recently Ninja Gaiden.
Such a awesome engine and game but it was just too hard for me to enjoy it.

no homo
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:11 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 07:11 PM #10 of 134
Cybernoid - The Fighting Machine by far. A pretty weird game in itself, but gameplay-wise it was basically trial and error shooting. Most of the time it felt more like error and error. I never got very far.

Other than that, Last Blade 2 is probably the hardest 2D fighting game I know, at least against the AI, who basically stops making mistakes after the second level and you have to beat it on pure skill. Every mistake you make is punished mercilessly. Harsh.

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 12:03 PM #11 of 134
Hardest games ever?

Phalanx (SNES)
Philosoma (PS1)

Both of these space shooters are ridiculously hard, even on the easiest settings. Don't even get me going about the "funny" setting in Phalanx.

Gimmick! (FC)
The game's slippery controls make the game quite difficult. And most of the special items (needed for the good ending) are in really difficult spots.

Rakka
Forgiveness

Member 10978

Level 9.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:52 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 01:52 PM #12 of 134
I'm a bit weak, I guess...the hardest game that I've ever beaten was probably Goldeneye on 00 Agent difficulty. Aztec was a nightmare for me...I probably retried it at least 40 times, and I got killed on the ladder at the very end of the mission twice, which was really, REALLY annoying. Finishing that mission with literally nothing left on my life meter was probably the most satisfying moment in that game for me. At least Rare made Egypt really easy to make up for it!

The absolute hardest game I've ever played was probably Contra III, but I've never come close to beating it...I always died on the motorcycle level.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

all the cool people are doing it...rakka's last.fm page
Sarmoti
Chocobo

Member 262

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:59 PM #13 of 134
The only game in recent memory that had me throwing the controller was Devil May Cry 3. Capcom still neglected to bother fixing the camera views, which in turn allowed the often cheap enemys to take off some good chunks of energy off of you when you couldn't see them.

Ninja Gaiden was hard aswell, but a good hard. A hard that was based purely on the players skills and not the lousy camera and/or lousy controls *coughDMC3cough*.

Last edited by Sarmoti; Aug 19, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Prinnydood
Good Chocobo

Member 208

Level 15.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:25 PM #14 of 134
I'd have to say Ikaruga. I've played a Gradius and R-Type before but never that extensively and dont actually own em so I'd have to go with Ikaruga since I actually have it.. Great game, but hard as hell.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:38 PM #15 of 134
I will have to say the Adventures of Cookie and Cream. Definitely not the kids game that it looks to be. First off, both you and your partner have to be good, and although the levels start out easy, the difficulty quickly escalates. Second, you need a good sense of teamwork, so if you don't work well with others and have patience, then you're screwed no matter how good you are by yourself. Third, the penalty for getting hit/falling is heavy, with a whopping 20 seconds deducted from your time each time you make a mistake. Some puzzles are terribly confusing as well with strange uses for items that wouldn't normally used in such ways. You'll need a good eye to spot these things.

FELIPE NO
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 06:46 PM #16 of 134
Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX. Man, that was a hard game, a great game, but really really hard game. I played it on the lowest difficulty (normal) and it was still really tough. I can't imagine what 'hard' and 'very hard' are like. It took me about 31 hours to get through.

xman25

Sharaz Jek
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10557

Level 3.31

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:15 PM #17 of 134
Super Ghouls and Ghosts. You see, you have to beat it twice...which promply made me stop. I did beat Ghosts and Goblins with my brother, though. Spider-Man and X-Men: Arcade's Revenge is definitely a contender. Chakan I could only beat using the unlimited alchemy code. I couldn't get past stage 6 of Target Earth without cheating.

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 02:48 PM #18 of 134
The only game hard enough for me to rip my hair out was F-Zero GX. From the frustratingly hard "normal" difficulty in story mode (imagine very hard) to the grand prix races with human-like AI, it was a killa.

Still managed to clock it though.

28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:49 PM #19 of 134
Devil May Cry 3: SE. If I have played the original version, I would probably say that, but I havent. SE is, in my mind, not all that difficult, but it's one of the hardest games I have played through in recent memory.

EDIT: Oh yeah, F-Zero GX definately tops that in terms of difficulty. The amount of precision required for some races, especially the story mode ones, is insane.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 08:04 PM #20 of 134
Ikaruga is only difficult to play well, same for ESPGALUDA, they're not difficult games in themselves.

For me it'd have to be Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX. Possible the first two R-Type games too.

How ya doing, buddy?

Yeldarb
River Chocobo

Member 4464

Level 24.63

Apr 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:21 PM #21 of 134
Originally Posted by masa
Then thats followed closely by Guilty Gear XX, not the entire game, just those damned Mission Modes.
I know they are impossible especially the last one(i'll give you a million dollars if you beat it). But anyway an overall hard game was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I haven't even beat Thor yet. It made me mad. :aargh: :aargh:

devilmaycry
Chocobo

Member 4461

Level 13.07

Apr 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:48 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 06:48 PM #22 of 134
- Ninja Gaiden Black, in easy (Ninja Dog) is a hard fuck.

And the most difficult game I've played is most likely Dinamite Headdy. It's just ARGH!!!

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:53 PM #23 of 134
Ugh, Panzer Dragoon Orta...

I've only passed the first stage ONCE. And I still haven't gotten past the second stage yet. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they were ranking difficulties... Normal Mode is insane.

FELIPE NO
SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:55 PM #24 of 134
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
I will have to say the Adventures of Cookie and Cream.
Woo! Love that game...my niece and I worked through it together, and didn't have too terribly difficult a time, except for the damned fish boss, which was a painful three-hour affair.

Most difficult game I've taken down successfully...well, that's a tie between the original Ninja Gaiden and Gyruss. The former was an EXPERIENCE, and the ending was a cool payoff. The latter was just plain hard, with one of, if not THE worst endings ever.

Most difficult-to-the-point-of-broken game I've encountered would be Lunar 2: Complete. Right around the time I reached the Blue Dragon - who has high defense, nasty group-striking moves, and the ability to arbitrarily heal himself by several hundred (or is it thousand?) points every single turn - I decided life was too short to waste trying to prove myself to Victor Ireland and his HARDCORE tendencies.

DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 02:04 PM #25 of 134
The hardest game I've actually beat was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Beatmania IIDX games can be pretty hard games on the hardest levels, they're definitely tops among music games. Ghosts 'N Goblins is another hard one I've only played a few times. Then there are some of those NES games that were made with poor controls/design that were just hard because the designers never tested anything.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Hardest game(s) you've ever played