Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

US universities

lol_nl
Chocobo

Member 8475

Level 9.10

Jun 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:06 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 09:06 PM #1 of 8
US universities

Can anyone tell me some more about US universities? I searched google, wikipedia and that stuff, but I don't have time to read 100 pages per university and don't have time to look at 3000 universities, so can anyone tell me something about US universities?

I'm interested in:
-Important things if you want to study in the US (and you don't live in the US): SAT/TOEFL tests? Extra tests? Scholarships? Things to know?
-Which universities are very good, what are they like (location, teaching style, atmosphere, etc.) and is it very difficult to get into them?
-Forums where I can discuss these things.

Links are also fine, but I want a clearer overview and not 5000 lines of text for each university. First I'll have to observe and get a general impression before investigating them in detail.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Yiteng
Bolide
Get Ready for the Surprise!

Member 15657

Level 6.75

Nov 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:01 PM #2 of 8
Well, several things to consider are as follows:

-How much are you willing to spend?
-What are you wanting to study?
-Do you have location preferences?
-Do you have class size preferences

Unfortunately, you really have to dedicate a good bit of time in researching particular universities so reading a large amount of material is innevitable. You might not get much help here except for personal preferences which may not actually help you that much.

As for tests, each university is different. My university takes either SAT or ACT scores. The actual scores for any university is going to vary (sometimes widely) from university to university. Once you're able to answer questions that apply to your personal preferences/demands, you can begin to figure out what university satisifies that desire, than you can email their admissions office with questions. That's what I would do.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:17 PM #3 of 8
http://collegeboard.com/

(Almost) Everything you need to know about colleges in the US.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 05:32 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 03:32 PM #4 of 8
You can't go wrong with any of the UCs (University of California) except for maybe UC Riverside, UC Santa Cruz, and the newly established UC Merced (no offense students and alumni of those schools). If you have the grades, UC Berkeley and UCLA are top universities in the nation overall and Berkeley has an excellent engineering college. UCSD also excels in engineering and is also an overall good school.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 08:53 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 06:53 PM #5 of 8
Originally Posted by lol_nl
-Important things if you want to study in the US (and you don't live in the US): SAT/TOEFL tests? Extra tests? Scholarships? Things to know?
-Which universities are very good, what are they like (location, teaching style, atmosphere, etc.) and is it very difficult to get into them?
To your first question, there is no set answer. Every university sets its own requirements to get in. You'll certainly have to take a TOEFL, but many universities will wave the standardized test requirement (SAT and ACT are geared toward American learners) depending on what level you're at, where you're coming from, what kind of studies you've already done, etc. You can't say for sure exactly what you'll need until you narrow down several places you want to go.

To the second, that's also very tough to answer. There are thousands of universities and colleges in the United States. Very good? Like, the best? Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and Princeton, for example, are all very good and extremely hard to get into. To get an idea of general education rankings, you can look at:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...udoc_brief.php

If you have an idea of what you want to do, you can narrow it down. The Big 4 for computer science, for instance, are Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, and Carnegie-Mellon. For criminology, you're looking at Maryland, SUNY-Albany, or Cincinnati.

The United State is huge, the best colleges are scattered, though mostly in the northeast and California. But you can find great schools all over.

How ya doing, buddy?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 08:37 PM #6 of 8
Another great resource for college information is The Princeton Review. One of the best things about this site is the fact that they allow you to see the school through the eyes of current students. I wouldn't know first-hand if this is actually reliable, as I'm still in high school, but it's better than nothing. You can find the site here:

http://www.princetonreview.com/home.asp

Good luck with finding a school that fits you. There are so many schools to choose from that I often find myself feeling overwhelmed. Hopefully the resources provided by this thread are useful.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 11:53 PM #7 of 8
I agree with the above sites, and I also include your bookstore. There are plenty of print texts that describe demographics of universities in the US. My brother owns one. Really, I think it just boils down to location, cost, and the field(s) you are interested in. Field is a little iffy because many people change. Whatever your choice, you can always transfer within your first year if you are unsatisfied for whatever reason.

I'm guessing you are international. Ask other people you know who went to schools in the US. I ask international students here why they choose my uni, and it really is just what school is the best fit for you.

FELIPE NO
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2006, 03:11 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 02:11 AM #8 of 8
All the best schools in the US are pretty pricey - you'd be looking at around $30,000 US a year, at least. Opinions vary on what schools are best, but it is widely accepted that the Ivy League schools plus a few choice California schools top the charts. Typically.

I can't speak for other universities with regards to international students, but I know that my school (Brigham Young University (BYU)) caters to international students, and the tuition is quite low, especially considering the relatively high quality of education provided (not the best, but far from bad). The only downside is that you have to be prepared with a slew of close-minded, right-wing Mormons from Utah that overrun the place. And this is me speaking from an open-minded mostly-center Mormon perspective.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > US universities