Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Do you correct people?

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:12 PM #26 of 54
Unless they want me to read over a paper and give them grammatical advice, I do not want to correct people over such small things as grammatical errors. I try not to correct people on pronounciation since different areas have different pronounciations, but I will ask a question about a word. For example, one of my Asian friends kept saying, "Damage!" whenever something went wrong, so in order to understand what she really meant I said, "Do you mean, damn it?" and that's how I correct people.

I will sometimes correct people on something big such as if a Doctorate says, "Pocahontas married John Smith" then I will raise my hand and ask, "Didn't she married John Rolfe?" However, it seems to be that the more intelligent a person thinks they are, the harder it is to correct them.

I don't mind being corrected on major things, but little things like grammar and punctuation just seem like nonsense. If a word is grossly mispronounced or if I'm doing a paper, then I don't mind being corrected, but I don't feel as though it is worth arguing whether someone should use a dash or a comma in a sentence. There are more important things in the world.

Originally Posted by Kaphwan 86
I only get mad if arrogant people correct you constantly but have nothing else to say.
I came so close to doing horrible things to my roommate because of it. I'm sorry, but there are better ways to show that you are intelligent than to constantly tell people that they are wrong even though they are right.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:26 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 02:26 PM #27 of 54
I don't typically correct people I don't really know that well, but I do so if an error may impact him or her. During one group project a few semesters ago, I managed to be the person typing the essay while the group discussed what topics to cover, and I occasionally pointed out an error as we went through the paper together. Otherwise, I may only correct a person if the information must be presented later.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 03:35 PM #28 of 54
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
I had my cell phone in my hand getting ready to call the station and correct her, and then decided against it.
You.... need help.

And so do I, apparently. :/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:02 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 02:02 AM #29 of 54
I remember playing this game where we think of something beginning with each letter of the alphabet. The subject was fruit and vegetables and this guy was desperate to begin because he had in mind something beginning with A, so he said, "Asparangus" (Asparagus). Me and the other guy looked at him and then each other and we both couldn't stop laughing, and I thought my use of language was poor.

I can't imagine too many people around me who pronounce something wrong. It is usually me who language is poor which is why I am the one who talks a lot. I wouldn't think I'd be in a position to correct them and then I doubt myself. I remember someone picking on me because of the way I pronouced one word, and I get embarassed about it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 09:38 PM #30 of 54
I don't normally correct people unless I'm critiquing a work or some other. One of my pet peeves are (you're, your). Is it that hard to un-conjugate a word if you're unsure? As for others catching my errors, I thank them. I try hard not to use incorrect grammar. That is unless they mock me; that just gets mean.

As for speaking, I would correct people if they're practicing on their language. Although I have seen people laugh and correct them in a sort of mocking manner, which always pisses me off since they're trying to practice another language. The last thing they need is embarrassment to hinder them to speak more.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:16 PM #31 of 54
I correct my fiancee a lot, and that's the last person you'd want to correct, next to Freddy Krueger or someone.

FELIPE NO
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:01 AM #32 of 54
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
but aside from a basic inability to properly roll my 'rr's,
Darn those 'rr's.

I don't correct anybody except for my family members. And the only thing that get's me is the word, good. and that's only because my of friend always telling me, when I said, "I'm feeling good," that it's "supposed to be well."

I wouldn't mind if someone corrected me though. I correct people in languages other than english though...

Most amazing jew boots

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:29 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 12:29 AM #33 of 54
What a great question. I know I correct my friends, usually I use the phrase "actually it's blah blah blah" None of them seem to really mind. I when I get corrected I usually feel embarassed and stay quiet for a long time after the correction.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:12 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 09:12 PM #34 of 54
I don't tend to correct people's grammatical errors. However I have been known to correct spelling errors on essay extracts and stuff like that. Also, I don't mind being corrected, I guess it serves me right for correcting people's (written) mistakes in the first place, so if you can't take it, don't give it, I suppose.

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:20 AM #35 of 54
Back in college I tended to make a production about it. You know something like "wait, wait, hold on. How is it that you are able to BREATHE!? I mean, bleeding christ, how the fuck did you get here? Why am I friends with you? I am drowning in a deluge of HICK SPEAK. ;____;" I think it was for failing to use the subjunctive. As in, I think he said "If I was gay..." Everyone would laugh. And then EVERYONE would refuse to use the subjunctive. =(

Actually this particular incident likely didn't happen, however it still serves as a model for the type of thing which did happen. I just can't remember; it's been so long. =(

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:43 AM #36 of 54
I will only correct someone if I am alone with them. If there are other people present, or even someone within earshot, I refrain from making a comment. People can get embarrassed if the are shown to be wrong, so I avoid embarrassment. I know this because one of my friends had a habit of correcting people when there were large groups, and it was always embarrassing.

I do make mistakes of my own sometimes, though. Some words, I've never heard someone speak, but I've read them in books, or I may come across a word I've never seen before, and read it out loud phonetically. I don't see how a person can speak perfectly all the time without being corrected, so I don't think it's wrong to correct someone, just some wrong instances.

Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:15 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 09:15 AM #37 of 54
I usually only correct those who make corrections. When I talk to people familiar with Des Moines, Iowa, I used to pronounce the silent "S". When you say Des Moines, you say "De Moine". Of course, the tables turn when you talk about Des Plaines, Illinois. "What? Did you just say 'De Plaine'? Do you think you're Tattoo or something? 'De Plaine! De Plaine!' It's DES PLAINES joker."

It urks a lot of Chi-town natives when you pronounce the 'S' in 'Illinois'. It is pronounced 'elle-noy', not 'elle-noise'. It doesn't bother me too much, but it is a nice distinction to tell who really is an Illinois native.

How ya doing, buddy?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 09:17 AM #38 of 54
Originally Posted by Fatt
It urks a lot of Chi-town natives when you pronounce the 'S' in 'Illinois'. It is pronounced 'elle-noy', not 'elle-noise'. It doesn't bother me too much, but it is a nice distinction to tell who really is an Illinois native.
I haven't met many people who don't know that you don't pronounce the 's' in Illinois, and I'm not from there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mithos
Angel of Cruxis

Member 3307

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:01 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 05:01 PM #39 of 54
Don't suppose anyone's heard of a little book called, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?

Lynne Truss was inspired to write a book about the "inner stickler" in people (the urge to correct spelling and grammar - particularly in terms of punctuation and stuff) also doubling up as a brief history of punctuation, because she read in some leaflet, "The panda eats, shoots and leaves":

"A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

Why? asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

I’m a panda, he says, at the door. Look it up."

I find that more amusing than I probably should.
Anyway - the book came with a bunch of stickers. These stickers were mostly punctuation marks, but some were blank. The idea was to use these to rectify punctuation omissions/mistakes in posters - like on a shop that sells "Video's" or something similar.

FELIPE NO
By any other name, would smell as sweet.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 01:06 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 12:06 PM #40 of 54
Originally Posted by Avalo
How is it that you are able to BREATHE!? I mean, bleeding christ, how the fuck did you get here? Why am I friends with you? I am drowning in a deluge of HICK SPEAK. ;____;"
Ha! Do you happen to go to college in Texas? ;_; Not that I'm 'drowning in a deluge of hick speak' there, but I've heard plenty of errors and such. If I make one little grammatical error in my speaking, my grandma or my viola teacher are allllll over my ass about it. Sometimes I try to correct myself, before they do. I know when I'm using bad grammar, and frankly, I don't give a damn.

Originally Posted by Mithos
Don't suppose anyone's heard of a little book called, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?
Hell yes, that's what this makes me think of! I love books that poke fun at language; there's another book, Ella Minnow Pea and while it's not about punctuation and usage of language, it's still amusing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:28 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 08:28 PM #41 of 54
I'm not really fussed about people's mistakes any more unless their grammar is so bad that I can't understand what they're trying to say. It's always fun when someone complains about others' "spelling and grammer" though.

Mithos
Angel of Cruxis

Member 3307

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:21 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 11:21 PM #42 of 54
That would be too good to be true.
It doesn't actually happen...does it?

By any other name, would smell as sweet.
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:41 PM #43 of 54
A lady at my church always says Tusami instead of (t)sunami. She also says Science-tology instead of Scientology. Drives my up the wall.

Reckoning
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7645

Level 1.02

May 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:42 PM #44 of 54
tusami!! haha!! that would erk the hell outta me!! today a friend of mine kept saying facsilime instead of facsimile!! i corrected her like 3 times & she still couldn't get it right!! it's prolly a bad habit of mine - but i look at it this way - i'm just trying to help them to keep from looking dufus-y in front of someone who might really matter!
------------------------------------------------
Listen to Bunny Gamer by Xiu Xiu : napster.com

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 04:46 PM #45 of 54
Originally Posted by agreatguy6
Drives my up the wall.
"me". Drives me up the wall.

Most amazing jew boots
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:06 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 06:06 PM #46 of 54
I almost forgot...my grandpa was just as bad as my mom with spanish (maybe that's where she gets it from). He would always say Ree-LEN-o for relleno [reh-YEH-no] and occasionally say tor-TILL-uhs for tortillas. Gah, I could never get past that. I mean, come on. It's not like we haven't been eating mexican food our whole lives >_<. The 'll' makes a 'y' sound!!!

Most amazing jew boots
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:35 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 06:35 PM #47 of 54
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
I've finally trained her to not say 'Hal-a-PEE-no' for jalapeño, but she still has issues with the Spanish language.
Except for that it's "Hal-a-pen-yo."

The one that pisses me off the most is the word "both." I run into a ton of people that pronouce it "bowLth." There is no L in both.

My mom has a tendency to say "acrosst" instead of "across." I have no idea why she's adding the t at the end.

I try my best not to correct people in person at all unless we are very close friends. Most of my friends would appreciate me saving them the embarassment (as would I). I usually approach is with something like, "I could be wrong, but I think it's pronoucned..." Or I'll just end up working the same word into the conversation and pronounce it correctly myself. For the most part I figure, "who am I to correct anybody?"

It only bothers me if somebody corrects me when they're acutally wrong, or if they do it in a condescening manner.

FELIPE NO
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:49 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 06:49 PM #48 of 54
Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
Except for that it's "Hal-a-pen-yo."
I know. That's why I said I got her to not say it with the 'PEE' in it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 07:26 PM #49 of 54
(My bad; I totally read what you wrote wrong... Open mouth - insert foot!)

Haha! awesome. Where is your mom from? Mine has trouble pronoucing Spanish too. Every time she tries she ends up speaking sort of a pigeon english that she picked up in Nigeria as a kid. Totally crazy.

Last edited by Meth; Jul 18, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:31 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 06:31 PM #50 of 54
Shit... You guys think you have it bad with parents having trouble speaking Spanish...

I have uncles who have trouble pronouncing Spanish words.... And they're MEXICAN!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Do you correct people?