Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

GFF Comic Book Club

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:39 AM #1 of 26
GFF Comic Book Club

I feel safe to say that I'm not the only nerd/dork/etc here on GFF, so I figure we could have a civilized discussion regarding favorite comic book heroes, villains, old and new storylines, and up coming predictions regarding our favorite comics.

Recently I've been on a spree of reading comic books. I'm not sure what inspired it but I started reading the House of M storyline and before I knew it I was reading "Siege", "Fear itself", etc. House of M blew me away and so did Secret Invasion.

I'm reading the Walking Dead as well but I'm not fully caught up with it. I think left off reading at issue 90ish.

So yeah. Let's talk.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:49 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2012, 10:49 PM #2 of 26
I've started picking up the IDW Transformers Collections. IDW bought the rights off of Marvel a long time ago and have got the author of the original (And hugely superior) UK Transformers comics, Simon Furman, to re-invent the whole universe and it's fucking awesome. Also apparently a limited-ish run as Volume four was recently on sale on Amazon for a minimum of £300, although there are a few used ones cropping up now for a more sensible £30 each. I think they're up to Volume 7 now, I have the first three.

How ya doing, buddy?
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:45 PM #3 of 26
Someone sent me a link to a Sarah Palin, Steampunk comic. I haven't started reading it yet but I plan on downloading it just for shits and giggles.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:52 AM #4 of 26
Just started reading ”invincible”. Its by Robert Kirkman (same guy that did the walking dead). I have not been able to put it down.

Spoiler:
its basically a twisted version of superman. Where an alien comes to earth, swears to be the protector of Earth but after years of being there, it turns out he reveals that he was only protecting it in order to have his peopke conquer it.

I would suggest this as a good read to anyone that wants to a good super hero comic.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:05 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2012, 03:05 PM #5 of 26
ALL RIGHT! A COMICS THREAD!

Invincible is pretty fun! (Although I've stopped on issue 30-ish)

Right now I'm enjoying the current run of Batman (Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo). I would like to recommend this to folks who want to get into Batman. Right now, they're on the 3rd story arc (the return of Joker), but I suggest you start from the first issue (where they introduce a new type of evil in Gotham) because it's really good.

I recently saw Dark Knight Returns, and that made me want to check Knightfall and No Man's Land.

Hey Furby, have you read Avengers VS. X-Men yet?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Vemp; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:16 AM #6 of 26
ALL RIGHT! A COMICS THREAD!

Invincible is pretty fun! (Although I've stopped on issue 30-ish)

Right now I'm enjoying the current run of Batman (Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo). I would like to recommend this to folks who want to get into Batman. Right now, they're on the 3rd story arc (the return of Joker), but I suggest you start from the first issue (where they introduce a new type of evil in Gotham) because it's really good.

I recently saw Dark Knight Returns, and that made me want to check Knightfall and No Man's Land.

Hey Furby, have you read Avengers VS. X-Men yet?

You stopped at 30???? Omg. It gets soooo good. Im up to 76 so far and I cant wait to keep reading.

Ive been trying to get hands on the rest of the comics in that same universe (Capes inc, gaurding the globe, etc)

Ive been wanting to read Xmen vs avengers. Im guessing you recommend it?

If you like ”Dark knight returns”, read ”year one”. Commissioner Gordon is a complete badass.

How ya doing, buddy?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:42 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2012, 03:42 PM #7 of 26
I'll definitely pick up Invincible again. There's a lot of stuff that's happened and I'm want to catch up on the story.

AvX is ok, it's really a big recommendation (since it's 12 issues long). It's basically Avengers fighting the X-men and trying to save the world from the Phoenix. It has it's good and bad moments. I personally would have skipped it because the art duties were divided into several artists.

If you're into military fiction, I recommend The Activity (from Image), written by Nathan Edmonson and art by Mitch Gerads. It's about a secret special ops unit and every issue happens is a different mission and on a different country. Very fast paced and action packed stories, so if you're into that kind of thing I highly recommend this book.

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:57 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2012, 10:57 AM #8 of 26
Today Hellboy in Hell #1 comes out! Is anyone else excited? I know I am! I'm pretty biased, but this is one hell of a book! (pun intended)

Also, Avengers #1 by Hickman & Opena is out, which features a new storyline and lineup! Can you recognize who the other members are? Honestly, I don't know the other 4 or 5, but it's still a fun book (not as good as Hellboy though, heh)

All New X-Men #4 is out too from Bendis & Immonen (man, his art is amaaazing). Here we have post AvX Cyclops starting a "revolution". A wonderfully drawn book, and very good characterization by Bendis.

What are you picking up this week?

How ya doing, buddy?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:41 PM #9 of 26
If there's new Hellboy, I am excited, full stop.

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:22 AM #10 of 26
I'll definitely pick up Invincible again. There's a lot of stuff that's happened and I'm want to catch up on the story.

AvX is ok, it's really a big recommendation (since it's 12 issues long). It's basically Avengers fighting the X-men and trying to save the world from the Phoenix. It has it's good and bad moments. I personally would have skipped it because the art duties were divided into several artists.

If you're into military fiction, I recommend The Activity (from Image), written by Nathan Edmonson and art by Mitch Gerads. It's about a secret special ops unit and every issue happens is a different mission and on a different country. Very fast paced and action packed stories, so if you're into that kind of thing I highly recommend this book.
I'm checking out The Activity right now. I'm on issue 7 so far and I'm really digging it.

Really good suggestion. Keep them coming lol.

I started reading some of the other Image Comic stuff. I've been reading through "Guarding the Globe" and I'm trying to get my hands on the Savage dragon Comics.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:51 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2012, 02:51 PM #11 of 26
Another Image book that I will recommend is Who Is Jake Ellis by Nathan Edmonson and Tonci Zonjic. It's a fast-paced spy thriller with a very interesting twist. There is a trade out, so you can read it in it's entirety.

The first issue of the 2nd volume, Where is Jake Ellis, was released a few weeks back. It continues here it left off from "Who".

If you liked The Activity, you will probably enjoy this too!

Last edited by Vemp; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:18 AM #12 of 26
Skip both of these and find a copy of Son Of The Demon or The Long Halloween.

(Knightfall was especially bad.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:09 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2012, 10:09 AM #13 of 26
Skip both of these and find a copy of Son Of The Demon or The Long Halloween.

(Knightfall was especially bad.)
I already read those though ;p I heard Knightfall was really bad, that's why I haven't touched it for the longest time.

Can you recommend any good books that shows the Batman/Bane relationship? I have to admit, I don't really know anything about Bane (aside of the back-breaking thing, and the not so recent Secret Six).

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:50 AM #14 of 26
I heard Knightfall was really bad, that's why I haven't touched it for the longest time.
Its not bad in the way that its written for idiots. But it suffers from that very 1990s mantra of writing: escalation, unnecessary and oft unwarranted drama, etc. It more or less hits the same notes as the Death Of Superman stuff (which was at least affecting symbolically) and the much better (though I can't explain why) Emerald Twililght run on Green Lantern from 48 to 50.

Can you recommend any good books that shows the Batman/Bane relationship?
I don't think one exists. Bane is the most 1990s comic character made. But, yeah, if you needed to know about Bane, I guess Knightfall is it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:21 PM #15 of 26
My comic book pile has been building up, since I haven't had much time to read many of them. There are a select few that I read as soon as they come out though.

One series that I would tell anyone to pick up is Morning Glories, from Image. Its ridiculously hard to explain everything that mixes in, but the whole story focuses around 6 students accepted into a prestigious boarding school, which is actually involved in murdering and torturing students (or ok with students murdering and torturing each other), while experimenting with the occult and supernatural. My description doesn't do it justice, I dont think. Every issue leaves the reader with new questions, but not in the annoying, 'this is getting old' way. Beautiful art to boot.

Nemesis, by Mark Millar, is another fantastic comic mini-series (4 issues). I told Deni to read it a while back, and last I checked, we were both equally excited about the sequel (coming out in January, Deni!!!). This one can get a bit disturbing, depending on how sensitive you are.

I think Invinsible is an amazing comic. I was just talking with Lehah and Seris about it the other day. I'm getting so antsy over the 'Death of Everyone' arc to 100.

I've been kinda curious about other people's thoughts, and now that its been over a year (enough time to try out the series, at least), what's everyone's opinions about the 'New 52'? I've found myself mostly disappointed with them, honestly. I've stopped collecting the new Green Arrow, and Birds of Prey is barely holding a spot in my box. After a rocky start, I've come to like Justice League Dark. I think I've only truly enjoyed Supergirl from the start... and World's Finest, but I think that's only because I have a soft spot for Power Girl. I don't collect a ton of DC, so maybe I'm just missing all the good ones.

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 AM #16 of 26
I don't think one exists. Bane is the most 1990s comic character made. But, yeah, if you needed to know about Bane, I guess Knightfall is it.
Thanks for clarifying things! I haven't really read that much stuff in the 90's so I'm kind of "catching up" on things.

I've been kinda curious about other people's thoughts, and now that its been over a year (enough time to try out the series, at least), what's everyone's opinions about the 'New 52'?
New 52 was good when it started, but after a year it kinda lost steam. For me, that is. These days I only read Batman (the main book), I still like Green Lantern and GL Corps, but I'm behind a few issues, I stopped BoP just after Travel Foreman's run, I really liked Animal Man and Swamp thing but I lost interest when "Rotworld" happened, Wonder Woman and Batwoman are still good but is slowly losing it's grip. Overall, I think the 52 craze is slowly dying and Marvel's NOW initiative is getting a lot of people's attention. Specially with the new books with re-shuffled creative teams coming out, a lot of fans are getting interested. Currently, I'm enjoying All New X-Men (Bendis+Immonen), and the recently released Avengers (Hickman+Opena).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Vemp; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:23 AM #17 of 26
I honestly haven't picked up any of the New 52. I was considering it at first for the collectors value but other expenses came up so I had to sideline that project.

Don't ruin Invincible for me>_< I'm only at 95. I like that they finally explained what happened between Monster Girl and Robot. For a bit there, I was getting bothered by the fact that they disappeared, nothing hinting at their situation.

Has anyone read "Nowhere Man"? I keep seeing ads for it but I'm not sure if I should start or not.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:09 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2012, 09:09 PM 1 #18 of 26
I just picked up Chris Ware's Building Stories. It comes packaged in a package the size of a board game box, and is filled with all sorts of books and journals and correspondence, which - upon reading - reveal the stories of the inhabitants of a Chicago apartment building along with the anthropomorphic bee who lives outside.

It is somehow sadder and more intense and real than his last major piece, Jimmy Corrigan. I highly recommend it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:51 AM #19 of 26
Personally I tend to follow particular writers more than series. I pretty much read anything by Brian Michael Bendis, Warren Ellis, Allan Moore, Ed Brubaker, Robert Kirkman, and Carla Speed-McNeil.

The annual new volume of Powers just came out, so I am really looking forward to that.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:08 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2012, 03:08 PM #20 of 26
Oh yeah, Bendis is good, although his Avengers run towards the end was a bit disappointing. But now, he's handling All New X-Men, and I must say he's doing a very very good job and it's now one of my favorite books!

For those reading Ed Brubaker's Fatale, what do you guys think of it? I kind of lost interest after the 4th issue, maybe I was expecting it to be another Criminal and approached it the wrong way. I might give it a second chance after I sort out my "to-read" list.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RD-Fan
Banned

Member 37989

Level 1.47

May 2011

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:06 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2012, 11:06 AM 1 #21 of 26
I recently picked up My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic issue #1. Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet; it's one of the biggest selling comics of 2012, with 125,000 physical copies sold* (not including digital sales; 100,000 of those copies were online pre-orders), and it's now going into its third printing. It's also outsold Marvel Now and DC New 52**

The comic is written by Katie Cook (who previously worked on Star Wars comics) and drawn by Andy Price. Not only does it have story and conflict, issue #1 also has references to Road House and Shaun of the Dead, amongst other things. It is a comic for all ages of both genders, NOT targeted squarely at prepubescent girls.

My local comic shop had ordered 25 copies and put them out at 12 noon on November 28th. I went there at 5:30PM the same day, five and a half hours later, and I had just bought the last copy. Hasn't been in stock since then (printing #1 is completely sold out and they're waiting for printing #2 to come in).

Issue #2 was supposed to be out today but it has apparently been delayed to January because of a strike at a major shipping port in LA.

* Approx. five minutes into this interview: Comic Geek Speak:

** My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Comic outsells Marvel Now & DC New 52!! Pass as a Brony! - YouTube

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:01 PM #22 of 26
Outselling Marvel and DC is a pretty low bar to set for yourself these days, honestly.

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:05 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2012, 07:05 PM #23 of 26
well, when Marvel's new gig is that doc oc is spiderman

not really that surprising

FELIPE NO
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:18 PM 1 #24 of 26
The fact that you had to justify why you bought it makes me immediately lose interest.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:59 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2012, 09:59 PM #25 of 26
It is a comic for prepubescent girls.
FTFY.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > GFF Comic Book Club