Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Are you an audiophile?
Yes 96 55.17%
No 78 44.83%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Are you an audiophile?

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 09:47 PM #101 of 203
Originally Posted by TubeRacer
You guys are also guilty of turning me into an audiophile as well. I deleted 60 gigs of music; everything except a couple soundtracks that are in 160kbps. Now I will only listen to audiophile-quality mp3s on my laptop.
Did the same myself! Though, it was closer to 80GB and only for those I had ripped myself in MP3. I also got rid of some of the ones I downloaded that I wasn't going to bother to get on CD or in lossless anyway. Can't say I miss them, regardless whether I have re-ripped them or not yet...

Originally Posted by Kairyu
But to permanently delete stuff from my collection.. I think I would shed a tear too .
I guess it depends on whether you actually listen to and like the music you collect. Most of what I deleted was stuff I just downloaded originally for the sake of doing so, being new to broadband and all. Mostly, it was stuff that I was never going to listen to again. Mostly...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by sabbey; Apr 8, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:07 AM #102 of 203
I molest little audios all the time.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 03:33 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 06:33 PM #103 of 203
Audiophiles are music lovers.

AUDIOPHILES, however, are indiscriminate consumers prone to autosuggestion with impeded critical thinking skills who get hung up on bullshit distinctions such as lossy versus lossless.

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Apr 9, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
Fireman Joe
Superhero Extroadinaire

Member 1518

Level 11.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 06:10 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 10:10 PM #104 of 203
I guess I am an audiophile... I hate .wma files and the like, and re-ripping cds of mp3s etc. I always rip vbr mp3s with EAC (as instructed by a tutorial on these boards before the downtime).
When downloading, I always try and get the best bitrate, and am on a constant mission to educate my heathen friends about the evils of their WMP.
I'm forever tagging and sorting mp3s; I've got my downloaded music separated from my ripped cds, which again are separated from ripped burnt cds.
On several occaisions my HD has been full due to music. Totally. 0bytes free space. If I had the HD space, I'd love to use .flac, and I'm still looking for a high capacity mp3 player with all the features I 'need'. Alas, I have not enough money for either.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 06:22 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 05:22 AM #105 of 203
Originally Posted by Cal

[tuberacer quote]

This is sum case example
Oh my hell do I have to spell it out. Look at my posts again and ask yourself again if I was actually doing anything more than playing along with the thread's own ignorance.

How ya doing, buddy?

Ovelia
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4863

Level 1.60

Apr 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 11:40 AM #106 of 203
Nope, but hell if my brother doesn't get angry as hell if i'm playing anything other than lossless.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:16 AM #107 of 203
Originally Posted by Cal
Audiophiles are music lovers.

AUDIOPHILES, however, are indiscriminate consumers prone to autosuggestion with impeded critical thinking skills who get hung up on bullshit distinctions such as lossy versus lossless.
I laugh at AUDIOPHILES who pay $200 for "special" cables.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jay
From Beyond

Member 1244

Level 16.59

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 02:41 PM #108 of 203
It depends, when dealing with ordinary albums/songs/soundtrack I'll listen to anything. I do try to avoid 128 kbps though.
When I'm dealing with bootlegs then it's another story, all my bootleg material needs to be lossless.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:44 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 11:44 PM #109 of 203
Originally Posted by TubeRacer
Oh my hell do I have to spell it out. Look at my posts again and ask yourself again if I was actually doing anything more than playing along with the thread's own ignorance.
Indeed you were. My mistake! Sarcasm's invisible when you're scanning.

Most amazing jew boots
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:11 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:11 PM #110 of 203
I believe the record states that I loathe audophiles.

nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:17 PM #111 of 203
I wish I could be an audiophile...disk space won't let me. With headphones you Can tell the difference between 320 and 128....I never noticed until I started using headphones (Mac Mini Speakers SUCK). *sigh* Someday when I have, like, a terabyte...Ha....

FELIPE NO
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:10 AM #112 of 203
Anyway, all this bitrate talk isn't all that relevant. A 160kbps LAME MP3 can sound better than a 320kbps Blade MP3, for example.

pyrus421
the sky remains the same as ever

Member 597

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:25 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 01:25 AM #113 of 203
Does this mean having sex with music. If so then yes I am an audiophile. GOA FTW, gotta make sure I hit all those freqs.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 02:22 AM #114 of 203
OK, I have a few questions for audiophiles.
1st - Let's say you got a song from the internet, or downloading or whatever, but definitely NOT from ripping CD. You don't like the sound quality of it because it's 128 (or lower) and is CBR. What would you do? I'm asking in the case that you really love the song and do not want to toss it away. My question is you would not convert it to VBR or even lossless or FLAC, would you? WHat I'm guessing is since its quality is "not good", you cannot convert it to a higher standard to make it "good", right? Just like you cannot burn a 128 mp3 to CD and make it sounds like a real CD, isn't it? What would you do in case you're a hardcore audiophile and you just want everything high birate?
2nd - Putting hardware aside, will sound effect plug-in from soundcard program or music player affect your judgement between ... say 128 and 192? With the EAX program come with the Creative Audigy deluxe that I own and winamp's equalizer, I can pimp a 96 sounds nearly as good as a 160 or around that. I can't tell the difference between 128 and 300 if I leave all my setting on.
3rd - The one above leads me to this one. Do you leave your sound effect setting the same with every song you listen to? For the home system, some people prefer real equalizer to make sound the way they like. But, will audiophiles (who have equalizer) come and change the setting as songs go? I think it must be a pain.

Sorry for the shitload of questions. I'm a audiophile wannabe so I want to hear opnions from every aspects. Though, I have an opinion about lossless or FLAC and the likes. I'm against the whole "everything lossless" thing. Let's say I have an OST CD of a video game from the previous generation. Its sound quality is already "not good" eventhough it's professionally recorded. Any PS1 OST or any portable system's games (hell, even PSP) will work my point. Some people are obsessed with ripping music from games. Those ripped music will never have good sound quality. It goes the same for the old music. Akkk... I don't wanna make all of them lossless. It's space and time killer while doesn't make the quality goes any higher.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
вяоκєи.
i_h8_u.

Member 10244

Level 2.50

Jul 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 04:40 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 08:40 PM #115 of 203
As long as it isnt below the 128kbps mark, and is "normal sounding", I don't care. Anything below 128kbps, sounds a bit stale.

I can tell the difference in quality, but quite honestly, I don't care. Very rarely will you find a music file that is 320kbps or above on my computer, as I couldn't care what amount of kbps a file is. Just as long as it's enough to make the "stale" sound go away. Which in my opinion, is 128kbps, or in some cases, 112kbps.

How ya doing, buddy?

--yeah...; [ υ сяєатєd а яιfт wιтнιи мє. ] now there hav been several complications tht hav, left me feelng nothng. ...i mite say...; u were wrng 2 take it from me...; u left me feelng nothng.

i lōōk 'rōūnd ūr hōūse. būt there's nōthin' 2 steāl.

Last edited by вяоκєи.; Aug 1, 2006 at 06:40 AM.
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 05:05 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:05 PM #116 of 203
Nope. Don't know the different between VBR or CBR, and don't spend much money to get a good set of soundsystem.

However, i like good music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 08:49 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:49 AM #117 of 203
I think I may be becoming an audiophile. I recently bought my first DAC/Amplifier, a portable Total Bithead from HeadRoom. I have three pairs of rather high-end headphones, and I'm already looking at another. Although, in the end, the equipment is still a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

Most amazing jew boots

Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:03 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 09:03 AM #118 of 203
I have habits and equipment that may make me look like an audiophile, but I am not an audiophile. I used to use an 800 watt subwoofer that I played real soft to listen to Les Claypool or Victor Wooten, just for that clean, crisp bass. I have a bad habit of messing with people's systems when their 5.1 surround is completely off. I used to have a music file server that would only have .wav files, because they sound better than any .mp3s.

but I still think I am not an audiophile.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:32 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 02:32 PM #119 of 203
I don't listen to anything below 192kbps. I'll tolerate 128... On very rare occasions. I have shitty speakers, though, but I do have kickass earbud headphones with noise cancelling and changeable heads.

FELIPE NO
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 09:33 AM #120 of 203
Quote:
1st - Let's say you got a song from the internet, or downloading or whatever, but definitely NOT from ripping CD. You don't like the sound quality of it because it's 128 (or lower) and is CBR. What would you do? I'm asking in the case that you really love the song and do not want to toss it away. My question is you would not convert it to VBR or even lossless or FLAC, would you? WHat I'm guessing is since its quality is "not good", you cannot convert it to a higher standard to make it "good", right? Just like you cannot burn a 128 mp3 to CD and make it sounds like a real CD, isn't it? What would you do in case you're a hardcore audiophile and you just want everything high birate?
You can't add quality that's not there. Period. End of story. You have to get the file in a higher bitrate somehow. Either search the internet forever or, you know, you could actually BUY the song. Most music that I like I end up buying. And the stuff that's not worth buying I quite often delete to make room for better stuff, which I usually end up buying. It's a long cycle.
Quote:
2nd - Putting hardware aside, will sound effect plug-in from soundcard program or music player affect your judgement between ... say 128 and 192? With the EAX program come with the Creative Audigy deluxe that I own and winamp's equalizer, I can pimp a 96 sounds nearly as good as a 160 or around that. I can't tell the difference between 128 and 300 if I leave all my setting on.
All those settings ever do is equalize stuff, which I hate. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (I bought the 2ZS for gaming and had an opportunity to purchase the front panel later for $10 and decided what the hell), and all of its various crystalization options only lower the end audio quality to my ears. Also, with an Audigy series card, get foobar2000 and have it upsample the output to 48000Hz. Most programs output at 44100Hz, which the Audigy 2 then internally upscales, but its internal algorithm sucks.
Quote:
3rd - The one above leads me to this one. Do you leave your sound effect setting the same with every song you listen to? For the home system, some people prefer real equalizer to make sound the way they like. But, will audiophiles (who have equalizer) come and change the setting as songs go? I think it must be a pain.
I don't equalize anything. Nor do most of the "audiophiles" I know. But I do know some that change it depending on the song.

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 06:38 PM #121 of 203
Partly!
I do not use Mp3's less than 192kbps, first of all. Secondly if there's this CD i really like, I rip it in WAV to get everything out of it

Also, I've gone from using some random MP3-Player under $99 to now investing $300 in a player and headphones. I'm on my way!

(Is this thead old? It says I've already voted no in this poll)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

galador
Chocobo

Member 652

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2006, 07:44 PM #122 of 203
I'm not really an audiophile. I mean, I can tell the difference between a poorly encoded file and one with better quality, but I'd rather save the disk space than have those extra samples that you're not really going to hear.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:10 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 02:10 AM #123 of 203
I don't think very many music has a need for anything higher than 192 kbps, and possibly for modern music not much of a need for anything higher than 128 kbps. For classical, it's best to have the highest possible, 192 VBR at least. With that said, I don't really consider myself an audiophile, but I will not accept anything lower than 128 CBR. The quality is too poor.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:55 AM #124 of 203
Originally Posted by lightgem
Well, the best possible thing you can do for the quality of most downloads is to leave them as they are.

Quote:
Some of these filters will make it easier to tell apart MP3's, some will make it more difficult. It depends on what the filter is doing. For instance, a lowpass will make it more difficult to tell, but using an EQ to boost the high end will make it easier.

Quote:
I generally leave settings the same. Generally on PC this means no settings at all and on my stereo it means just a simple bass boost - but only because it sounds downright anemic without it.

Quote:
I have an opinion about lossless or FLAC and the likes. I'm against the whole "everything lossless" thing. Let's say I have an OST CD of a video game from the previous generation. Its sound quality is already "not good" eventhough it's professionally recorded. Any PS1 OST or any portable system's games (hell, even PSP) will work my point. Some people are obsessed with ripping music from games. Those ripped music will never have good sound quality. It goes the same for the old music. Akkk... I don't wanna make all of them lossless. It's space and time killer while doesn't make the quality goes any higher.
Agreed. For anything older than N64/PS1, I'd use either the native sound format (e.g. SPC, PSF) or MP3... and for anything newer, I might use lossless.

Most amazing jew boots
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 06:16 PM #125 of 203
Unless the quality of file was really poor then maybe. The notes I am hearing is more important to me than the quality of the recording. Personally I just can't hear that world of difference.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Are you an audiophile?