Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do you tip?

llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Oct 24, 2008, 01:53 AM #51 of 127
me and my friends always tip 25-30%. that way the waiters always remember us and they don't sit in our food.

we always go to this diner, so yeah. and 25/30% split with 6 people isn't too bad at all

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:46 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 12:46 AM #52 of 127
I can't count the number of times I was ready to slug a customer working as a cashier because some asshole started yelling and cussing at me cause he couldn't buy beer because he didn't have enough sense to leave his underage friends outside. But it was always satisfying if a manager overheard them swearing, came over, and notified them that they were now banned from the store.
Please confirm that you don't assume that I yell and cuss at my waiters/waitresses? Nigga please. Get back to me when you're not in a thread bitching about the money that I'M giving you.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:37 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 09:37 AM #53 of 127
This also reminds me... One time Frank and I were at a local restaurant that brews their own beer and we ordered a beer. Keep in mind, I'm there twice a week either to write my lesson plans or to work on some design.

I'm also known for being a damn generous tipper and I know every single server that works there so whenever I show up with anyone they only thing they wanna know is what my company is having for dinner because they already know what I want, "Liter of IPA, right? What's everyone else having?" Some new kid that had actually started working there and even though he'd already taken our drink order, he decided to card Frank. Frank didn't have his wallet on him because I was buying. This little prick wouldn't serve him a beer!

Needless to say, I didn't leave a single tip but Frankie, ever the sucker for being a kind soul, pulled him aside before we left and gave him a $5 tip for having brought me my liter of beer. I was still kind of pissed that this little shit wouldn't serve him so I just told Frank in mid-transaction, "What the fuck are you doing? I could've bought another pint with that." I left a penny on the table as well.

I'll tell you what though, they've never refused service to anyone who walks in with me after that and that boy never worked the floor again.
In all my years of working behind bars, nothing is more likely to make me ID an entire group of people than them swanning in like they own the place and saying "Why are you IDing me, I come here all the time". If you go there all the time, you should have learned to take some fucking ID with you.

I delight in turning kids away though. Bar staff don't get tipped over here (We just get proper wages), you just get bought drinks but it's rare for kids to buy you one so chucking them out is always entertaining, especially when you know for a fact that they're over 18 but haven't got ID on them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:46 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 01:46 AM #54 of 127
I use a pretty ornate system. California usually floats around 7.25%~8.25% depending on the area I'm in, so I usually double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar if service was up to par, but not extravagantly good (meaning they did nothing wrong but wasn't fantastic).

If I'm not satisfied, I round down to the nearest dollar. If I'm really unsatisfied beyond that, I state my problem on the credit card receipt the store keeps (that way the manager has it on file and sees it) and leave a crappy tip confirming what the problems was.

If the service is good I default to 20% tip.

Once I went to Applebee's with a party of 20+ people, and we just had to be split up to 3 parties just because of the sheer size. Everyone at our table was just sharing large appetizers (we're all college students). Our server even made sure our subtotals were divided up per person on the check! I've never seen that done before. I wanted to make sure our server's efforts were well rewarded since he didn't make one stint about the party being so large (composed of broke college kids might I add), with us having 3 separate people needing to pay by card separately, and yet he still was making absolute sure everyone's needs at the table were fulfilled and came back more than enough times to refill our drinks and make sure everything went smoothly. I knew for sure 15% on 6 appetizers wasn't satisfactory when our server was going back and forth for 11 people at the table, so I left a $40 tip for my $8 cup of chili.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:09 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 05:09 PM #55 of 127
Tipping is not mandatory where I live. So being the cheapskate that I am, I don't give any most of the time. Especially if the restaurant has a 10% service charge.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Zergrinch; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:31 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 02:31 AM #56 of 127
For everyone bitching about being broke college kids. If you're broke, don't go out for food where you get served. Either get take away, eat somewhere cheaper, or learn to cook your own goddamned food.

I've heard there's a practice in some countries of leaving a poor waitress/waiter an overly large tip as a sign of, "You're going to be needing that extra cash soon..."

I generally tip around 18% or so, though it does go up a lot with some meals. There's one place I go to where my school's students can get a cheeseburger, fries, and unlimited refills on soda for $2.25. I'll usually go with a friend or two, and the tip is generally at around 100% since the meal's so absurdly cheap and the guy there knows us. I actually took my parents there because they have really good normal food, too. While we were leaving my dad wound up talking to the one of the managers or the owner or something and found out my dad was :jew:. Turns out the guy used to live in Israel and when we went back there the next week they gave us a free appetizer and 25% off of our bill.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:39 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 10:39 AM #57 of 127
I knew for sure 15% on 6 appetizers wasn't satisfactory when our server was going back and forth for 11 people at the table, so I left a $40 tip for my $8 cup of chili.
Er, what? One would hope that the restaurant employed enough staff so that everyone eating can get their food in a reasonable amount of food when the place is full. Serving a bunch of people at once isn't some act of heroics, it's what he's paid to do. I think tipping extra because a place is busy is pretty retarded really, it's like you're assuming that the normal state for a restaurant is half empty, in which case, if the waiters aren't busy then the owner is employing too many people.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:09 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 09:09 AM #58 of 127
If there's a party of 20 and you're the only server then, yes, you SHOULD be given an extra tip. I realize it's their job but when you're waiting on 20 people single-handed that's a little out of the ordinary.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:13 AM #59 of 127
Please confirm that you don't assume that I yell and cuss at my waiters/waitresses? Nigga please. Get back to me when you're not in a thread bitching about the money that I'M giving you.
No I don't assume that and I'm sorry if you thought I did. I more or less just got myself going on a particular subject and said more then I needed to.

But the customer is always right motto only holds true for so much. Getting mad over a business obeying the law is pointless.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Out thought and out fought."
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:17 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 12:17 AM 2 #60 of 127
It's the law that's the problem. Why should tips be considered as part of minimum wage? That makes no sense. Where I come from, you are expected to a good job for the salary that you get, not force me to give you cash just so you don't spit in my soup, and not stand and glare at me if I give you less than 15%.

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:24 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 09:24 AM #61 of 127
For everyone bitching about being broke college kids. If you're broke, don't go out for food where you get served. Either get take away, eat somewhere cheaper, or learn to cook your own goddamned food.
I completely agree. If you go out to a proper restaurant, where you know it's customary to tip, don't be a fuck and short the person serving you because you can't afford it. Most restaurants, no matter who they are, are willing to allow you to order your food to go.

The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:33 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 02:33 PM #62 of 127
My co-worker wrote this yesturday. I can only assume he had a shitty day.

Rules of Service

1. IF you can afford to go out to eat, but you can't afford to tip, hey guess what you can't afford to go out to eat.

2. This is 2008 people. 10% is not acceptable anymore. Standard tipping for GOOD service is 20%. If your server has given you GREAT service then tip a minimum of 20%.

3. Now, I understand that 10% is good enough for God. That's fine. But this isn't church, and you're not tithing.

4. Ordering a well done steak will constitute a longer ticket time you will be okay. If you wanted fast food, you should have gone through a drive-thru.

5. It is really not necessary to snap at me or wave your hand in the air like your having a spasm or get up and follow me. I saw you, I acknowledged you, and you saw me. hold the fuck on, and sit the fuck down. I am coming.

6. When I take the time to be courteous and introduce myself please don't be rude and cut me off. Sometimes the place I work at requires me to tell you about the specials and offer you an appetizer. When I ask you how you are doing please don't reply with what you want to drink, its called manners.

7. I follow a strict rule that you should never reward bad service with a good tip however; you should also never punish excellent service with a bad tip because you're a tight-wad.

8. Please don't take it out on me because you have had a bad day. I'm here to make it better. Relax.

9. When I deliver your food and ask if there is anything else, you can tell me. I asked didn't I? Don't get all bent out of shape because I'm not psychic and cannot read your mind. How the hell am I supposed to know you needed A-1? Also, please tell me the moment I ask if that's everything you need. If you have to think about it that's okay, I'll wait. I'd rather spend a few more moments at your table then running back and forth to the kitchen because you forgot you needed extra something or other.

10. I know sometimes you can't help it. But do you really have to ask for something every single time I walk past the table. I mean really. Jessica Simpson is not even that high-maintenance.

11. Hi, look around you. You are one of probably twenty people I am waiting on. Did you happen to notice that? So if you have to wait for a minute. Be patient. I promise I will take care of you.

12. Treating a server like a SLAVE because we are serving you is the quickest way to get the worst service you ever thought possible. We are people too and you are no better than me. I don't give a fuck what you do.

13. Just think about it like this. Your tip left on the table is how I pay my bills. I am making minimum (most of time $2 0r $3 dollars an hour.) So no, I don't get a paycheck. After taxes and claiming tips I'm lucky if I even see one. Remember that next time you decide to be cheap. Please also remember when using a To-go service, that the people that bring out your food don't always make 7 or 8 dollars an hour. Most of the time they work for tips too.

14. Don't assume that my job is easier then yours and I am some simpleton who can't get a better job. The restaurant business is a fast paced environment with a high stress level. You don't even see all the things we do behind the scene. So have some respect. I don't come to your office and treat you like shit for sitting on your ass all day do I? No. I don't.

15. Most people do not know that we pay taxes based upon what we claim to make. News flash, we have to claim at least about 10% (In most cases we claim 100% of our tips) of our sales. Often times we often must tip out other workers in the restaurant i.e. bussers, bartenders, and hosts. What this means is if you are one of the stingy people that can't tip, I just paid taxes on your meal that I worked to serve you. Thus, meaning that I just paid to serve you. Better yet, if you walk out on your tab, chances are I just paid for your meal! Karma people...Karma

16. You fuck with your server - your server will fuck with you. I know this may not be true in all cases, but there are times when servers come out on top! To all of you stingy people who don't tip or just treat servers like SLAVES in general - Remember this we will show you the same courtesy you show us. If there isn't a boss around to see something happen then I will surely pick up your well-done, charred steak that fell on the floor, wipe that rock off on my shirt and serve it to you. With a smile of course!

17. I also want to add...why do people think that it's okay to walk into a restaurant and eat when it's 15 minutes before closing???? FYI...there's a lot of stuff to be done after hours, i.e. cleaning up and Stuff like that! So if it is vacuuming and shit like that you don't want to hear when having a decent meal...then don't show up 15 minutes before closing time! Not only are you holding up your server from leaving the damn place, but you are also pissing off the individual who's cooking your damn meal...remember that!

18. People please teach your kids 'RESTAURANT MANNERS!' Restaurants aren't playgrounds! They will get hurt and it will not be our fault. Keep them seated!

19. Ranch is NOT the nectar of the Gods. It is however one of the main culprits of the obesity epidemic in this country! So yes I will get you ranch just tell me when you order.

20. Telling your server how wonderful they were, and how great they were DOES NOT pay the bills. Church pamphlets, monopoly money, or (my personal favorite) your number. Also DOES NOT pay the bills.

21. This is another one I would like to address; your server does not want your number. He or she is being nice because it is their job. They are not into you we usually date people in the industry.

22. We work double shifts, go to school or have multiple jobs, or all three, and sometimes our last day off was... well we don't remember. We do this because people don't follow these rules. Please help us out.

Speaking of the God things, you've no idea how many people leave pamphlets about Jesus. Chad has about 20 in his book.

Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:50 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 01:50 PM 1 #63 of 127
13. ...Please also remember when using a To-go service, that the people that bring out your food don't always make 7 or 8 dollars an hour. Most of the time they work for tips too.

I'm sorry, call me a cheap bitch, but this is where I draw the line. If my dinner is leaving the restaurant in styrofoam containers, and I have not used a table, I am not tipping.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:13 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 10:13 PM 1 #64 of 127
13. Just think about it like this. Your tip left on the table is how I pay my bills. I am making minimum (most of time $2 0r $3 dollars an hour.) So no, I don't get a paycheck. After taxes and claiming tips I'm lucky if I even see one. Remember that next time you decide to be cheap.

14. Don't assume that my job is easier then yours and I am some simpleton who can't get a better job.
Yeah, of course. If you can so easily go get another job then why not go and fucking get one rather than writing out a long list of bullshit demands and ansty complaints? I mean, if being a waiter is so fucking hard and the pay is so shit then get another job, it ain't rocket science.

From that list, Americans must be proper fucking rude when they eat out to illicit that kind of response.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:30 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 03:30 PM #65 of 127
Wait, there must be something I don't understand here. How is it legal for you people to be paid "$2-$3 an hour"? Isn't the minimum wage in the United States $6.55 per hour under federal law?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:59 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 10:59 PM #66 of 127
As I understand it there's some exemption for waiters that says that their average wage, including tips has to be minimum wage, hence everyone's expected to pay twice what the meal costs to make up the wage deficiency. Works out geat for the rest of the world when Yanks are on holiday though because they still leave monstrous tips, even though waiters here get the same minimum wage as everyone else.

Most amazing jew boots
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:42 PM #67 of 127
6. When I take the time to be courteous and introduce myself please don't be rude and cut me off. Sometimes the place I work at requires me to tell you about the specials and offer you an appetizer. When I ask you how you are doing please don't reply with what you want to drink, its called manners.
THIS bothers the SHIT out of me. I work in a small enough place where you sit yourself and I'll come over and get your order, or you wait and the end of the counter where I'll get your order to go. We see every customer that comes in at all times, and we have to greet you. Its part of the friendly atmosphere of the place. So every time someone comes in, I'll greet them with 'Hi, how's it going?' or "Hi, how are you?".

A good number of people just reply 'good, how are you' and wait patiently for me to specifically ask for their order, but the ones that just go right into "I'll take this this this and this to go"... drives me nuts. Normally I proceed to cut them off and say 'One moment please', and finish what I'm doing. I didnt ask you for your order, and you dont know if there's someone waiting ahead of you. Patience, you will be served.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 05:55 PM #68 of 127
17. I also want to add...why do people think that it's okay to walk into a restaurant and eat when it's 15 minutes before closing???? FYI...there's a lot of stuff to be done after hours, i.e. cleaning up and Stuff like that! So if it is vacuuming and shit like that you don't want to hear when having a decent meal...then don't show up 15 minutes before closing time! Not only are you holding up your server from leaving the damn place, but you are also pissing off the individual who's cooking your damn meal...remember that!
Okay.

See, if I am paying full price for a meal during a restaurant's business hours, I expect to have an experience similar to experiences of earlier customers.

I realize that sometimes, when I walk in at 15 minutes before closing time, it's a hassle to you. Consider I don't know your business hours. I also expect that the hours listed are the ones where you're actually doing business - just as you were doing earlier in the day.

I don't like the notion that I have to sit through vacuuming when I want to have a conversation with the people I am with. Save your loud tasks until all your customers walk out the door. Find something to do that DOESN'T fuck with my full-priced meal experience if you need to. Just do me the fucking favor of NOT VACUUMING IN MY FACE when I am trying to enjoy a meal I am paying for.

Maybe I am a bitch for thinking this. I don't know. I also agree with Midna re: take-out tips. If you're making less than minimum wage working take-out, bring it up with your boss and not me. You're not "waiting" on me, I am not holding up a table, and I am not asking you to fucking serve me. Take-out guys don't get tips unless they deliver to my goddamn door.

Lastly, I was pretty sure that with a party over 8 (depending on where you go), gratuity is included in your bill as a separate line item. Sure, it's proper to tip over that, but you're not getting 20% in the check AND another 20% unlisted tip.

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Oct 24, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:09 PM #69 of 127
How do I tip?

Well, if I like the service, I tip at least 20%. Otherwise, I punch her in the back of the head and hold her down while I carve a backwards 'B' in her face.

---
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:17 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 06:17 PM #70 of 127
You're supposed to do that after you see her bumper sticker.

:INCONSISTENCY:

>=\ You also need to take $60.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Oct 24, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:22 PM #71 of 127
Quote:
12. Treating a server like a SLAVE because we are serving you is the quickest way to get the worst service you ever thought possible. We are people too and you are no better than me. I don't give a fuck what you do.
The tone of this one struck me. Yeah, common decency and all, but I am the customer. You're not doing me a favor. It's your fucking job.

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:27 PM #72 of 127
On one hand, I understand this person's claims. On the other, I think of the simple fact: it is your job. I can't begin to tell how my frustrations I have had with past jobs regarding various issues. However, that's the point. You have to swallow hard, take it, and do your job.

One thing this person should keep in mind is that given the economy, they should be thankful people are still coming out to eat (and tip). Even if they tip 10 or 15 percent, that's better than not tipping at all.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:53 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 04:53 PM 3 #73 of 127
Instead of quoting and responding to each of the points in Melo's little list, can we just agree that her friend is a whiny faggot and needs to get a different job?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:58 PM #74 of 127
I can't agree to that. He's a whiny faggot who can't and doesn't deserve to get a different job.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:00 PM #75 of 127
Another thing...I just remembered some friends who are LOOKING for jobs LIKE his and HOPING to get one to HAVE a job...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How do you tip?