Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Kramer snaps

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:38 PM #76 of 221
Originally Posted by rocketdog
I think the problem isn't Minion but the fact that you are all kids (and yes I'll name names here, Deni, Lehah, Lurker) and are still moved by words, like nigger. Grow up. Any sophisticated, educated person will be able to take a racial slur, and just brush it aside. You just look down on those people who have to stoop so low... that's about it. You don't take the time to make an argument of it, or to blow it up. Who gives a shit if they are close minded? It's not our job to save ever single damn person. I think Minion is coming from that perspective "above".

Words have power man, but words like this... only move idiots who can be provoked by such childishness.

And you really don't need an education for this stuff unless you grew up in a closed closed closed white town with your parents constantly reminding you of white power. It is legit to make a study of it, and to analyze outcomes of people, but it really is something you develope with personal expereince... and you know it.

But back on topic, if you were heckled by a few black guys I bet you'd have the phrase "fucking niggers" crossing your mind. Mike just had the balls to say it... it's about damn time.
Because Deni certainly isn't known as one of the more offensive members of the board, who often throws around racial slurs for pure amusement. I mean, he certainly doesn't refer to his buddy encephalon as beaner, or kurado as his house boy. That would never happen. The problem with you, Rocketdog, is that at the heart of you, is a very simple little man. You're about black and white. Thus the entry on girls you date and your demand that they're musical.

Of course an educated person can brush aside a racial slur. By the by, walk up to a jewish professor and tell him you think he's a kike and he should burn in an oven. See how fucking funny he thinks you are. I can brush aside a racial slur. I'm white, I'm educated and I can make a point about how words shift constantly, how they don't intrinsically have meaning, but rather they take meaning from webs of understanding dictated by societal pressures.

But I'm not black. I've never had someone spit the word nigger at me in blatant anger. And you know what, when that person chooses a word they know is hateful, and use it in a hateful way? That can be a harsh thing to do. Now, I'm a big proponent of words being words and people needing to be less sensitive, but you know what? Your lack of understanding of any of the modern concepts or theories just proves that education IS needed in it. Not because nigger is the worst thing you can say, but because understanding why other people might think it is... ya, that's sort of important to the debate at hand.

Also, Minion and Rocketdog, I have three years worth of fieldwork behind me, along with years of research. I've dealt with this on the ground, I'm not talking from a textbook. When one of you has worked in the field, doing research on agency and language with different cultures, then you can talk to me about real world experience.

Also, Rocketdog, you are the last person to talk about this subject. We've seen before how your perspective works, and you've managed to talk yourself right out of any valid point. Especially considering neither Lurker, LeHah, or myself said the word nigger was as offensive as these two men are making it out to be. If you don't even understand the basic point, keep your arguments to yourself.

Also, Heckler, stealing as in having the same basic premise. I got tired of people asking me why I'd become retarded in my posting habits, and having to explain that you aren't me. Apparently a moderator did, too.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:42 PM #77 of 221
Originally Posted by Denicalis
Especially considering neither Lurker, LeHah, or myself said the word nigger was as offensive as these two men are making it out to be.
Frankly, I'd be pissed off too if I were them - for being caught acting like the racial stereotype. It's embarassing but all they were doing was acting like every idiot racist makes blacks out to be. "Lets sit in cheap seats and talk loudly amongst ourselves and heckle the white guy from that show."

Maybe Richards should've used another word - but maybe their mothers should've raised them better.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:45 PM #78 of 221
Quote:
then you can talk to me about real world experience.
The thing is, if you're going to make an appeal to authority as an argument (which you're welcome to do if your experience is genuine) that's great, but in order for there to be an actual dialogue in this thread, you need to kind of stoop down to our level and at least give us a the jist of the theory involved. Don't just say you know stuff - explain it. I'd love to hear about it, really. I'm not being the least bit sarcastic.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:50 PM #79 of 221
Originally Posted by Minion
The thing is, if you're going to make an appeal to authority as an argument (which you're welcome to do if your experience is genuine) that's great, but in order for there to be an actual dialogue in this thread, you need to kind of stoop down to our level and at least give us a the jist of the theory involved. Don't just say you know stuff - explain it. I'd love to hear about it, really. I'm not being the least bit sarcastic.
I sort of touch on it above when I snapped at Rocketdog. But it isn't really the theory that is important, what's important is that they took it as offensive. And you know what, Michael Richards feels as if he was wrong to do it. Did you see his apology? The guy is almost in tears over it. Now, if he was trying to make a point about racial slurs, a la Richard Pryor, I'm sure he'd have been less broken up. He threw out hate. Not words, pure hate. He just happened to use those specific words. What he was trying to do is cut someone with language, so he used the most heated thing he could think of. If this was a commentary on how nigger is an overused slander with no real meaning and the black community needs to lighten up (which I happen to agree with), I'm sure the news reports would be very different.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:52 PM #80 of 221
Yeah, I mean... that's how I feel exactly. I'm just trying to understand how our views differ, if they in fact do.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:56 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:56 PM #81 of 221
Yeah, I mean... that's how I feel exactly. I'm just trying to understand how our views differ, if they in fact do.
I don't think you and I have much difference in terms of opinion on this, so much as ways of coming to the conclusion. My issue is with Rocketdog.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:47 AM #82 of 221
Originally Posted by LeHah
I call people poor all the time. I also call people WTP all the time (White Trash Poor).
apropos of nothing, if you actually called them the acronym that's gay. BUT. If you called them WTC (White Trash Cunts) then that validates your entire existance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 09:50 PM #83 of 221
It was so sad watching Richards apologize on the Letterman Show.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:53 AM #84 of 221
I have to admit, you know yourself well. If only you could decipher a point.

I'm not saying *I* know anything. I'm saying there are things you can't learn in a classroom. Do you understand that? Or maybe this argument stems from your relative lack of real social experience? I'm just trying to sort things out here.

You don't need to learn "from the streets". Again, it seems as if you either didn't actually go to college, or you were a shut in the whole time. I was able to bond with people during college that I would never meet under any other circumstances in this country. African-Americans were not only present, but any American was viewed as a bit mundane in light of my school's ethnic strata. I don't honestly know how I could have learned more except by actually being black and growing up in harlem or detroit. I sure as shit wouldn't learn anything that I've learned from real interaction with human beings in any classroom.
Whoa, this cat's got claws!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 04:19 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 03:19 PM #85 of 221
Here's the thing:

The two black guys were ignorant dumbfucks for inciting the shit in the first place. Richard was an equally ignorant dumbfuck for keeping the shit going and saying/reacting in the way that he did.

As for this lawsuit nonsense that the black guys are going for (if you saw thier interview on Extra): Mental trauma MY ASS - they deserve no money and are obviously only after the man for his riches at this point. This ladies and gentlemen is what we in the educated world like to call "niggerism." As for Richards, his credibility and career are destroyed and the only person he has to blame for that is himself. MANY a comedian - even the best have been heckled in thier day - the good comedians are the ones that turn it around and wind up making the hecklers look like a bunch of dumb shits. The hecklers are like "We want to see some punishment" - Richards has been banned from performing at one of the most well known comedy clubs in stand up, his reputation is shattered through no fault of his own, and he's ginormously borked up what's left of his career. What more do they want? Personally I think both parties were heavily at fault.

If I sued everybody I know cause they called me a nigger whether in jest or in insult I'd be a fucking RICH BITCH and I am almost certain that goes for almost every other black man on the planet as well. Nothing goes better together better than fools and money.

Last edited by Dubble; Nov 25, 2006 at 07:19 PM.
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 03:08 PM #86 of 221
in all honesty, richards said that he did it cause he had a lot of anger at the time. I myself never support using that word period for what he used, but it really would've made better sense for him to find a different outlet for that anger before the show, to avoid the aforementioned incident

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:57 PM #87 of 221
Originally Posted by Capo
It was so sad watching Richards apologize on the Letterman Show.
The worst part was when the audience cracks up and Jerry Seinfeld of all people has to tell them "Stop it, it's not funny." It was pretty depressing hearing two people who did a great job of making people laugh on Seinfeld trying to have the audience take them seriously and not doing a very good job of it.

FELIPE NO

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:57 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 09:57 AM #88 of 221
I know, man. It was just sort of pitiful to watch.

Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:21 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 03:51 PM #89 of 221
yeah, it's sad knowing you're such a comedian that you can't be taken seriously anymore

Most amazing jew boots

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:25 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 10:25 AM #90 of 221
It was more seing this amazing guy who has made me laugh countless timed up there apologizing like this. Him being laughed at and almost ridiculed just felt sad.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 02:09 PM #91 of 221
I found it really depressing as well. I've watched Seinfield for as long as I can remember and I've come to care about the actors. For something so terrible to happen and for Richards trying to apologize and not being taken seriously... Its really depressing. He did do something wrong but he is sincerely sorry for it and I'm sure he's still in a lot of pain over it. It's terrible.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 02:29 PM #92 of 221
Originally Posted by Balcony Heckler
I myself never support using that word period for what he used
Please tell me a time when its appropriate to use the word nigger. Because, see, you can't say theres a time for racial slurs and theres not a time for them. Obviously, they're there to get a reaction, so saying them at any point would be inappropriate.

Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 03:06 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 02:06 PM #93 of 221
Originally Posted by Ultima
He did do something wrong but he is sincerely sorry for it and I'm sure he's still in a lot of pain over it. It's terrible.
His grief is probably only because of the heat it's brought him, not because he sincerely didn't feel that way. That's what I think anyway, he might actually feel bad, but I doubt it.

*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 06:41 PM #94 of 221
I know this discussion is a few pages down the line, but Im proud of the guy. He hit some assholes where it hurts and should stick by what he said with no apologies.

I keep seeing alot of people saying he could of handled it better, but I honestly think he handled it the best way possible. Hes a comedian and he completely shit talked some stupid fuck into a loop. You can tell someones losing a trash talking argument when they say the same shit over and over again.

"That was uncalled for" < Owned

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:00 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 07:00 PM #95 of 221
Calling someone a nigger takes no comedic skill, and even less values. It was a moment of weakness, and nothing more, I hope.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:06 PM #96 of 221
Calling someone a nigger takes no comedic skill, and even less values.
I disagree. I think it depends on the situation; it was obviously okay to say nigger 140 years ago.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 07:08 PM #97 of 221
As far as I can tell from the terrible quality video, this stand-up act didn't take place on a plantation in the 1830's.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:16 PM #98 of 221
As far as I can tell from the terrible quality video, this stand-up act didn't take place on a plantation in the 1830's.
That doesn't defeat the point I made. As with any word, its all about using it in the right place and context.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2006, 09:59 PM #99 of 221
Originally Posted by LeHah
That doesn't defeat the point I made. As with any word, its all about using it in the right place and context.
Unless you provide a "right place and context" besides 140 years ago, which I cannot visit due to an unexpected technical problem with the Wayback Machine, that pretty much does defeat your first point.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:01 PM #100 of 221
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Unless you provide a "right place and context" besides 140 years ago
How about in the south? How about amongst friends whom you feel comfortable with? How about in the privacy of your own home?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Kramer snaps