Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Languages you want study

kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:11 PM #51 of 145
I'm taking Japanese now but after this year, the only Japanese teacher that teaches courses after 202 is retiring so I'd like to be able to continue it elsewhere.

I want to learn German. Got really interested in it when I got into project .hack, and while the language sounds a little...harsh...sometimes, I think it's a cool language. My ex is learning it now, he really enjoys it.

And I also want to learn Hawaiian. It was mandatory to learn really basic Hawaiian in elementary school (like colors and family members), but since then I've never gone on with it. I think it's a really beautiful language and I would love to study it, considering that I live in Hawai`i.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:19 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:19 PM #52 of 145
I know Chinese, and I thought that would give me an edge in studying Japanese... NOT. At least not from the get go. I have quite a few books (most of which are given to me by my aunt, who teaches Japanese. >.> ) in Japanese, and I'd very much likes to read them. Although so far I haven't menage to take a Japanese courses. For some reason there is only one or two first year level Japanese open each semester, and those tend to fill up quick. I think I am the only one in my immediate family who does not speak at least a little Japanese. >.>

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:14 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:14 AM #53 of 145
Studied French is High school for 4 years and went to France and lived with a french family for a while (which they say damn near counts as a fifth year).
I inevitably picked up some Spanish while working in the restaurant business, but I'd like to learn more.
In college I took some ASL, which is a very fun language to learn and very eye-opening.
I'd also like to learn Japanese (like most), but I may have missed that chance for now . . .

How ya doing, buddy?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:30 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 02:30 PM #54 of 145
Originally Posted by Hiiragi
Been "studying" Cantonese-Mandarin for the good part of my life, did Spanish since 5th grade, currently self studying Japanese. I want to learn Arabic, and also Goa'uld.
where does that Goa'uld language come from? never heard that before:borg:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:35 AM #55 of 145
I have such a long list of languages I want to learn. I really think I might become a linguist because it seems like I love languages.

Right now I'm learning Japanese, almost fluent. So it's almost time to choose.

Next up I think I'll learn Korean, I also want ot learn a dialect of Chinese, Sanskrit, Latin, some form of Norse or Swedish, and French. Maybe Italian. I can't really say I have a desire to learn Spanish, since I took it for three years and could only think about learning Japanese, but it might just be one of those things that just happens.

FELIPE NO
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:41 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:41 AM #56 of 145
Right now, I'm making it a personal goal to learn Norwegian, for that's my matriarichal roots. In fact, if I knew it already, I'd greatly consider moving to Norway and staying. I'd also throw in the predecessors to it, like Proto-Norse.

Since I am a native English speaking person, attaining knowledge on it's earlier forms as well. I'd actually run around speaking Old English if I could all the time.

Along with that, I'm eager for the other Scandinavian languages and Finnish. Latin and Greek are also high up on my list since they are the classical adademic languages. And I say fuck the Romantic languages. French and Spanish are the most boring things I've ever heard.

Most amazing jew boots
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:48 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:48 AM #57 of 145
I'd love to learn Russian. I find it freakishly romantic for some reason. Also it's supposedly one of the harder languages to learn so I think it'd be interesting to see the breakdown of that language.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Melee
Good Chocobo

Member 1586

Level 16.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:17 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 03:17 PM #58 of 145
I want to learn better English and I want to learn spanish and mandarin before I'm 30.

Originally Posted by Nahual
I would really like to learn German. I know how to say a couple of things. I think that Germany is a beautiful place and I'm going there this summer for 2 weeks! Woot woot.
But please don't visit the bad side of germany -> Hauptbahnhof Munich.. argh :eyebrow:

There's nowhere I can't reach.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:00 AM #59 of 145
I learned Italian in High School but I forgot most of the stuff, a quick review should bring a lot back.
Well, since I've started watching Asian movies I need to improve my Chinese.
I speak Cantonese but need more work on it. I want to learn two other chinese dialects, Korean, Japanese, and Germain. So that'd be a total of 5 languages.
It seems a lot but it's possible. Only problem is finding someone to practice with, preferably someone native to that language.

EDIT:
Whoops, I typed Germain instead of German. haha, my friend's name is Germain so that might be the reason.

Last edited by jouhou; Mar 8, 2006 at 08:33 PM.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 05:05 PM #60 of 145
I want to continue my Russian and German studies. My Russian is very poor, only took courses for three years. It would be very handy around where I live, since I see and hear the language almost daily. Spying on the conniving crooks that all Russian people are. >=O

German I took for 5 years and spoken it sounds so cool and looks cool written, so I'd just like to show off to people. Also my future profession might actually require me to learn more of it, since some of the study books are in German only.

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 10:10 PM #61 of 145
Originally Posted by Melee
I want to learn better English and I want to learn spanish and mandarin before I'm 30.

But please don't visit the bad side of germany -> Hauptbahnhof Munich.. argh :eyebrow:
Cool, hope you will manage to achieve that. But is esperante = spanish?
btw, what happens in that Hauptbahnhof?

I was speaking idiomatically.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:24 AM #62 of 145
I kind of wish I spoke Aramaic for no good reason.

I can comprehend most romance languages enough to get by. I speak French (better than I write it), but despite my entire family using it on a consistent basis, I am completely out of practice. I've considered spending another few summers in France with the family just to tune up, but I just never have time or money.

I'd like to learn German, if only because its so powerful sounding. I'd love to learn Japanese or Chinese as well, if only because they're both challenging languages to learn, and not very traditionally taught.

Also, Esperanto is not Spanish.

Melee
Good Chocobo

Member 1586

Level 16.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:38 PM #63 of 145
Originally Posted by eriol
Cool, hope you will manage to achieve that. But is esperante = spanish?
btw, what happens in that Hauptbahnhof?
esprante I've never heat...hm sorry, don't understand.

Hauptbahnhof is german and means 'Train mainstation',
the main station is already beautiful, but outside of the station are many unfriendly humans (peoples) and I can say one: there is not Germans.

(hope you understand me)

If you arrived in germany, you must visit the Deutsche Museum (german museum) and Olympia Park. But before I continue to talk.. where do you come exactly to Germany?

Munich:
http://www.muenchen.de/home/60093/Homepage.html
http://www.muenchen.de/Tourismus/6942/index.html

Last year I've visit Kentucky ... and it was soooooooooooooo fantastic awesome!! my uncle lives in kentucky.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:42 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:42 AM #64 of 145
Oh sorry, I got mixed up spanish with esperante. in fact esperante is an artificial language (checked from babylon). I wonder if any of you study this language? actually this language was made in purpose to become international language, but since everyone nowadays could use english, it becomes obsolete.

I never have chance to go abroad... sigh... but I really want to go to Neuschwanstein (New Rock Swan if you translate it?), I want to see that beautiful Ludwig II castle! just so amazingly beautiful...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:11 PM #65 of 145
Originally Posted by Melee

Hauptbahnhof is german and means 'Train mainstation',
the main station is already beautiful, but outside of the station are many unfriendly humans (peoples) and I can say one: there is not Germans.

(hope you understand me)

where do you come exactly to Germany?
So that's what the Hauptbahnhof is. Umm...I don't think I'll need to worry about that. At least not in Munich...I'm going to Stuttgart.

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Melee
Good Chocobo

Member 1586

Level 16.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:11 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:11 AM #66 of 145
Oh sorry, I got mixed up spanish with esperante. in fact esperante is an artificial language (checked from babylon). I wonder if any of you study this language? actually this language was made in purpose to become international language, but since everyone nowadays could use english, it becomes obsolete.

I never have chance to go abroad... sigh... but I really want to go to Neuschwanstein (New Rock Swan if you translate it?), I want to see that beautiful Ludwig II castle! just so amazingly beautiful...
Oh ok , yes english is more importantly for me.

SchloĂź(castle) Neuschwanstein <- I think, it can not be translated , like DĂĽsseldorf. Yes this castle is very beautiful, Ludwig II. our King of bavaria.

I hope I'll be able to visit China, I'm a big Fan of Jackie Chan... he have showed in an interview Hong Kong. That was awesome.

Originally Posted by Nahual
So that's what the Hauptbahnhof is. Umm...I don't think I'll need to worry about that. At least not in Munich...I'm going to Stuttgart.
Stuttgart, oh my god... it has beautiful places, too. but they talk there differently as normally, exactly the same as in East Germany. *big smile*

I'm so sorry for my english! :/

Last edited by Melee; Mar 9, 2006 at 04:13 AM.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:26 AM #67 of 145
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I'd love to learn Japanese or Chinese as well, if only because they're both challenging languages to learn, and not very traditionally taught.
Chinese in not that hard to get a decent grasp of. If anyone is dumb it's me and I did it.

That being said, I'd like to become better in Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Japanese and French and learn a the meanings of a few complicated english words to. =o

[/RIGHT]
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:27 PM #68 of 145
Now that I think about it, I believe some unpopular languages like Romansh and Maltese would both interesting to learn.

espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:57 PM #69 of 145
I'd like to learn German, simply because I like the sound of it. I used to take French in school but I dropped it so I can take more courses, too bad my school doesn't have a German class, cuz i would've taken it for sure.

I was speaking idiomatically.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 12:27 PM #70 of 145
Originally Posted by Jan
Chinese in not that hard to get a decent grasp of. If anyone is dumb it's me and I did it.

That being said, I'd like to become better in Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Japanese and French and learn a the meanings of a few complicated english words to. =o
Chinese is THAT hard dude x_X;.

My friend got a perfect E for his mandarin class last semester though I have warned him to pick up japanese instead (so that he might would have gotten an A like me, heh). From what I've heard, Chinese has complicated rule of sound system, speak it with different tone and you get different meanings. OMG, just how Chinese ancestors created them??

Even though I'm chinese, I couldn speak any of it, but I will definitely going to learn it, hoping that someday I will return to China.

Btw talking with natives from different nationality like you really amazes me, not to mention that they keep saying their complicated language is goddamn easy while it maybe takes non-natives about 7 years to master them:borg:

quest2368
Hitman

Member 2540

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:34 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 02:34 AM #71 of 145
I'm currently learning how to read and write in chinese and speak in Manderin. Hopefully I'll be good enough to get by in China. I also want to relearn my French and Spanish. I learned Spanish for 3 years back in high school, but it's a little rusty now. As for French, I use to speak it when i was 7, but I lost it when I moved to the United States.

FELIPE NO
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:39 AM #72 of 145
Chinese is THAT hard dude x_X;.
No it's not, I already said that I'm dumb and I learned it pretty decently by just listening to audio tapesand talking to a few Chinese people prior to going to China orginally. Sure tones are hard but that's it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
[/RIGHT]
kapsi
Why did the chicken cross the Moebius Strip?

Member 2495

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:30 PM #73 of 145
C++, Java and French. And Russian.

Fake_plastic
da plastix

Member 2593

Level 2.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:29 PM #74 of 145
Well, I'll say english, 'cause french is my first language.
If you've got french questions, ask away

Da Plastixxxx
Satsujinken
~Contra Mundi~

Member 2610

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:54 PM #75 of 145
I really want to learn Japanese.. i think the language sounds cool, plus their culture' overwhelms me, the games, manga, anime, j-stuff.. I love it! Furthermore, I'm a Chinese that lives in The Netherlands.. but I can't speak any word Chinese, so i think i want to learn that also.

I did learn some Latin and old Greek on school, it's pretty interesting, since, for example, many European words are kinda derived from it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Languages you want study