Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How long does a grenade last?

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:37 PM #1 of 17
How long does a grenade last?

I just watched a video clip of a guy threatening to kill two people via grenade. Before even making demands, he pulls out the pin. The police wait several hours and eventually meet his demands. Later, the issue is resolved and the man is caught, but that's not important. I've always thought that grenades have a short fuse; once someone pulls the pin, the grenade will explode shortly thereafter. Why didn't the grenade detonate?

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:39 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 02:39 PM #2 of 17
It could have been a dud, or one that was very old and the timer mechanism was faulty. Furthermore, explosives that are designed to strike at a greatly postponed state are triggered via a timer, hence the time bomb. But in this case, I don't think I've come across through my findings of a grenade that you can change the detonation time for hours, but of course, my name isn't Signit, nor Romanenko.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Apr 4, 2006 at 04:43 PM.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:40 PM #3 of 17
The grenades fuse doesn't start to burn until the spoon(the metal dealie the side of the grenade, looks like a spoon handle :P) on the grenade is released, the guy was probably holding onto the grenade very tightly. So it ending and all, he probably just shoved the pin back in. Safe again.

Oh, grenade times vary, you buy different kinds that go off at long or short lengths.

How ya doing, buddy?

oh my gawddd
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:40 PM #4 of 17
Either a dud or he held the safety until the whole time. As soon as you let go of that safety, the fuse starts. Fuse is usually 4 to 5 seconds.

seconds late

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:48 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 04:48 PM #5 of 17
Originally Posted by Greykin
The grenades fuse doesn't start to burn until the spoon(the metal dealie the side of the grenade, looks like a spoon handle :P) on the grenade is released, the guy was probably holding onto the grenade very tightly. So it ending and all, he probably just shoved the pin back in. Safe again.

Oh, grenade times vary, you buy different kinds that go off at long or short lengths.

What he said. That's why it didn't go off, however, what DID become of the grenade? Any word on that?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:53 PM #6 of 17
No. The video only showed the police grabbing him and the narrator did not expand on the situation except to talk about the emotional state of the hostages. I would assume that the grenade ended up in some kind of evidence locker.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Blackbord
Banned

Member 4342

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 03:59 PM #7 of 17
It had to be a dud. Or it was one of those grenades that go off after a while.

FELIPE NO
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:08 PM #8 of 17
Ok, lets think about this for a bit. Let's say that in some crazy world, pulling the pin does start the fuse. Do you think there is a fuse is big enough to fit into the grenade to last that long? If it was a dud, the police probably wouldn't have sat around negotiating it after he pulled the pin, rather just tackling him.
---
I do however wonder though, if the grenade was a dud, depending on how the police arrested him. I know I wouldn't want to attempt to tackle a person holding onto the grenade spoon without a pin, in case he drops it and all.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

oh my gawddd
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:28 PM #9 of 17
Why didn't the SWAT team come in and sniper his ass.

Most amazing jew boots
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:36 PM #10 of 17
Jack Bauer hacked into the grenade and prevented it from exploding. Why lie.

::goes back to his vehicle and starts crying::

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:49 PM #11 of 17
Originally Posted by Eleo
I'm assuming he was around the hostages, so if it was a real grenade, and he was holding onto the safety, then he'd just drop it and blow up everyone

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

oh my gawddd

Last edited by Greykin; Apr 4, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:59 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 03:59 PM #12 of 17
Does no one here know how a grenade works? The pin is only there to keep the lever in place. Without the pin, the lever falls off and the grenade's fuse is activated. If you pull the pin on a grenade, you can hold it in your hands for 200000 years and have it not go off as long as your hand prevents the lever from falling off. Here's a picture:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:12 PM #13 of 17
Maybe if you read all the posts you'd see that some of us do know how it works.

I was speaking idiomatically.

oh my gawddd
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:24 PM #14 of 17
Originally Posted by Eleo
I believe the event took place in Mexico, so S.W.A.T. wouldn't have really had a chance to do anything.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 04:44 PM #15 of 17
Originally Posted by Greykin
Maybe if you read all the posts you'd see that some of us do know how it works.
Oh, I just skimmed the thread and everyone was saying it was a dud. =\ Must've missed your post.

How ya doing, buddy?
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:18 PM #16 of 17
Originally Posted by Spike
Oh, I just skimmed the thread and everyone was saying it was a dud. =\ Must've missed your post.
I was kinda a dick there, sorry, just in a bad mood, I also skim posts too.
--
So how did they police take down this guy anyways? I'm curious >_>.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

oh my gawddd
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:26 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 06:26 PM #17 of 17
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
I believe the event took place in Mexico, so S.W.A.T. wouldn't have really had a chance to do anything.
You do know that other countries have Special Weapons and Tactics teams, right?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How long does a grenade last?