Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

whats your antivirus? kaspersky? nod32?

llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:13 PM #1 of 18
whats your antivirus? kaspersky? nod32?

i hear kaspersky and nod32 are the best, i need to get one myself, i hear nowadays they come with spyware protection and everythinhg all in one, which is awesome.

what do you use or think is the best security package?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
joshuak
Carob Nut

Member 32079

Level 4.68

Oct 2008

Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:35 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2008, 03:35 PM #2 of 18
I use Avast! Home Edition (It's free and it has an active scanner so it's always scanning your hard drive for infections). In addition to that I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which I use for a daily quick scan.

Of Nod32 and Kaspersky, I've heard that Kaspersky is the best, but you should do some research on them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:09 PM #3 of 18
ah yea im probably going with kaspersky. i tested it out and like ti a lot.

ive heard good things from malwarebytes ant-malware, is that any good?

oh yeah, a complete security suite, does that mean no need for lavasofts adaware or counterspy? do these catch as many things as the dedicated programs?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by llmercll; Nov 2, 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:15 PM #4 of 18
I'm a fan of AVG, but the fact that it freezes up online games for a second while it "scans" them for viruses is starting to get on my nerves.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:04 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2008, 05:04 PM #5 of 18
AVG free is good to great (used for 2-3 years), Avast is great (used for 1 year), NOD32 gets a lot of raves (used for a week), Kaspersky too (never tried it), and AntiVir, according to the comparatives, is the technical best at present (never tried it). Comodo firewall protection is also considered highly in matters of protection, even as a standalone application (used for 6 months).

For spyware & friends, however, I'd still stick to several dedicated apps rather than an all-in-one solution or service.

I was speaking idiomatically.
llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:47 AM #6 of 18
Yeah I've officially tested out all the antiviruses i can think of.

Nod32 security has a zonealarm type alerting system which really annoyed me, though i'm sure it can be disabled

Kaspersky remains my favorite. when i install it gives me options of installing real time protection or not, i just don't install any of that and i get my perfect little virus scanner. Every week I run a thorough scan which takes probably 12-16 hours but completely scans everything. I run it overnight and into the next day so it doesn't get in my way. I can also scan suspicious files no the fly with the shell integration. Another bonus is kasperky only runs one service, and one process (at least the way i install it) for fast operation of everything else.

I read that AVG free misses a fair amount of viruses and isn't recommended by a lot of security gurus, which is shame because so many people use it. AVG pro isn't as good as kaspersky or nod, but still a viable protection option.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Immortal
I float.

Member 1281

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:15 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2008, 10:15 AM #7 of 18
I use Sophos on my Mac since I mainly use it on campus and that is what the campus suggests for use on their network. So far it has been really nice, but as long as it finds viruses and such, I don't really care.

FELIPE NO

While everyone around me is busy drowning, I float.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:39 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2008, 04:39 PM #8 of 18
I've been using AVG for quite a while, but after reading merc's post I think I might give Kapersky a shot. AVG runs a lot of background processes I don't care for, and I wouldn't mind ditching them.

I have to say, the best thing I have on my computer is Spybot's registry scanner. It notifies you whenever a change is made to your registry (and lets you choose to ignore or allow it). It's annoying when you're trying to install something new, but when you're hit with a virus it can really help stop it from self-replicating uncontrollably.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aLTERsCHWEDE
Banned

Member 32091

Level 1.73

Oct 2008

Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:49 AM #9 of 18
I am using Kaspersky. I also tried AVG but sometimes the updates hangs up for a unknown reason.

jikifreak
Lover of Noire

Member 32341

Level 1.47

Dec 2008

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:24 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 09:24 AM #10 of 18
I hate AVG as well, its just a mess. I use Avast! Pro and it works beautifully. I had Home edition, but I like to support good software

Nod32 works well too, but after my license expired I just didnt feel like renewing. Kaspersky is excellent, albeit a bit expensive for what it offers.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:01 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2008, 09:01 PM #11 of 18
I have been using AVG full edition for over a year now and I enjoy quite a bit, but with a few people mentioning a few other ones, I might give them a whirl. I plan to reformat my HD soon, so that might give me the opportunity to try something different.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Capcom Lord
Banned

Member 32644

Level 3.31

Jan 2009

Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:27 PM #12 of 18
I've also been using AVG for a few years, and just recently, the updates have been hanging and not finishing completely. Last month, I picked up NOD32 ESET Smart Security, and so far I like it. I just got so used to AVG scanning my PC for viruses every night, whereas I guess with NOD32, you have to manually scan your system, but it updates automatically.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"The way. The truth. The life."
Softmod and Hack your Wii

Currently playing:
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen - Wii
Mega Man 9 - Wii
Sonic Unleashed - Wii
Fate/Unlimited Codes - PS2
Phantasy Star Universe - PS2
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:33 PM #13 of 18
I use NOD32, but I use just the antivirus edition, and not the full 'internet security' one. I'm currently running the beta for version 4, and it works like a charm.

How ya doing, buddy?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
boris_37
Wark!

Member 31997

Level 2.12

Oct 2008

Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:15 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 10:15 AM #14 of 18
I used Avast, it's cheap its free, and it didn't always bug my like AVG did.( i started to hate AVG for that).

Honestly though antivirus is bogus. If you aren't downloading unsafe things you will almost never need antivirus. I only use it because i download torrents that could be potentially unsafe and even then i know the risk is low.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:27 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2009, 12:27 AM #15 of 18
I'm using AVG for almost 3 years now. I tried Avast, but for some reason it freezes after it finishes installing.

FELIPE NO
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:50 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 04:50 PM #16 of 18
I kind of juggle between Norton and AVG depending on if I'm feeling tight with my money or not, I can't stand most other pay to use anti virus softwares like McAffee because every machine I've ever worked with which had it installed just seems to slow everything to a crawl like a system resources whore.

Adding to what others have said I've noticed AVG as well as missing some viruses also seems to think some of my torrent downloads are viruses when they're actually clean, kind of like how when you instal 2 virus guards on 1 machine they will almost always identify each other as viruses, has anything similar happened to anyone else here?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by S_K; Jan 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:18 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 07:18 PM #17 of 18
Honestly though antivirus is bogus. If you aren't downloading unsafe things you will almost never need antivirus. I only use it because i download torrents that could be potentially unsafe and even then i know the risk is low.
Exactly, it's a waste of time and computer resources if you're not the kind of person who opens attachments called not_a_virus.jpg.exe.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:16 PM #18 of 18
I use NOD32 only because my school requires that everyone install it to be on the network. As far as I know it works pretty well, it updates its database at least twice a day.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > whats your antivirus? kaspersky? nod32?