Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Field Commander (PSP)

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 01:54 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 01:54 AM #1 of 3
Field Commander (PSP)

So, this game basically rules. I've never played Advance or Battalion Wars, so I've really got nothing to compare it to except for old PC turn-based strategy games.

Field Commander is a turn-based strategy game produced by SOE. It encompasses what a turn-based strat game is -- you move, you build units, you capture buildings, and you defeat your enemy.

There's only money to worry about as far as resources are concerned, and you earn money every turn according to how many and what buildings you have under your control. There are both enemy buildings and neutral buildings to capture, so take your pick. Capturing is easy, requiring you to move a single grunt onto the building's square (game's set up on a line-less grid) for two turns.

Speaking of moving, it's really easy to move along the grid-based map. Some terrain features will get in your way, such as trees, but tanks can blow those up and grant you access. Utility Helicopters are used to transport units across the sky, and Transports are used in the water. Grunts and Spec Ops don't have fuel, but your tanks and airplanes use up fuel according to how many spaces you move. Fuel can be replenished, but I find it easier to just have another one being built when a unit nears its end. When it runs out fuel, it simply explodes.

Combat's easy too. When you are next to your desired target, you have the option of firing on him if you're able to. If the unit is able to fire back, he will. You've got your choices from combat in water, air, and land

Missions typically end when you either destroy all of your opponent's soliders or capture his headquarters.

Throughout the course of battle, you'll notice a meter that builds with every turn. That's your Division Power meter, and when you select your headquarters, you can select your particular military's division power. In the tutorial, your power is "Nitro Boost," which lets your units move twice as far for two turns. Another division that came up (it was my opponent's) was one that boosted defense and offense by 25% for one round, so as you can see the powers could be quite varied.

So, having not played a turn-based strategt game since Deadlock on the PC (loved that game though), I'd say that this is a worthy strategy game. The sounds are excellent, including explosions and weather noise. Graphically, the game is very impressive. It's a top-down view of a fully 3D map, with complete camera control via the analog nub. The controls are intuitive and don't require a major learning curve at all, if one even exists.

Like I said, I've never played Advance Wars or Battalion Wars, but everything I've read on it praises Field Commander as the first great strategy game on the PSP (since Gen. of Chaos sucked ass) and a rightful competitor to Advance Wars on the GBA and DS. Jazz, I know you were just as disappointed with GoC as I was, so I'd suggest grabbing this one up. :ninja:

On a different note, geez Sony how many people are you gonna impersonate? Field Commander = Advance Wars, Tilt-Sensitive controller = Wiimote, and online service = Xbox Live. Expect "Sony Brawl Fighters: FIGHT!" coming soon to the PS3, featuring playable characters Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Sly, Murray, Bentley, and many more! Duke it out! >__>;

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 03:42 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 01:42 AM #2 of 3
And I was thinking of nabbing this one up too. Well, I'm awfully convinced.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 11:46 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 01:46 PM #3 of 3
Originally Posted by SouthJag
On a different note, geez Sony how many people are you gonna impersonate? Field Commander = Advance Wars, Tilt-Sensitive controller = Wiimote, and online service = Xbox Live. Expect "Sony Brawl Fighters: FIGHT!" coming soon to the PS3, featuring playable characters Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Sly, Murray, Bentley, and many more! Duke it out! >__>;
I personally hope they make one.

Toss in Kratos, Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter, a guy from Socom, a guy from Killzone, and hopefully 3rd party chars like Crash Bandicoot, Snake, Dante, Cloud, Sephiroth, GTA chars, etc.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Field Commander (PSP)