Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2007, 02:01 PM #176 of 196
Whip's Memory:
I had a lot of trouble with Whip's Memory, but I finally beat him by tricking the AI. If you time it right when jumping over his head he'll keep whipping in front of him and you can hit him twice from behind before he's able to turn around. I used the Kaiser Knuckles for this since they can hit multiple times at ~50 each. The only downside to using those is that you have to stay close. If you want to keep some distance use the Jet Black Whip since it's Dark element.

It's a pretty easy pattern to maintain except for dodging the occassional Cross Crash and resuming. I used the Javelin for those times, but that's only because it was the subweapon I'd leveled the most and it hits 2-3 times.

Oh yeah, and as already stated you need the Holy Mail. It halves the damage you take from him.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:22 AM Local time: Jan 22, 2007, 03:22 PM #177 of 196
Spoiler:
Where do I find this Holy Mail?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:35 PM Local time: Jan 22, 2007, 01:35 PM #178 of 196
Are you unable to return to the castle, or are you asking for help progressing with the game?
I was thrown off by the fact that "Wind" was at that save point. I just couldn't figure out where at in the castle he was (the next painting required me to go to him anyway)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: Jan 22, 2007, 02:50 PM #179 of 196
Whip's Memory:
I had a lot of trouble with Whip's Memory, but I finally beat him by tricking the AI. If you time it right when jumping over his head he'll keep whipping in front of him and you can hit him twice from behind before he's able to turn around. I used the Kaiser Knuckles for this since they can hit multiple times at ~50 each. The only downside to using those is that you have to stay close. If you want to keep some distance use the Jet Black Whip since it's Dark element.

It's a pretty easy pattern to maintain except for dodging the occassional Cross Crash and resuming. I used the Javelin for those times, but that's only because it was the subweapon I'd leveled the most and it hits 2-3 times.

Oh yeah, and as already stated you need the Holy Mail. It halves the damage you take from him.
Spoiler:
Where do I find this Holy Mail?
Spoiler:
You don't need the Holy Mail at all. All you really need is a fully mastered Shuriken subweapon and a couple of tonics to replenish MP. Once you learn how to make all four Shuriken land, you can take down Richter pretty quickly without getting anywhere near the whip's range. I took him down pretty much right as the fight became available using these tactics without even taking so much as a hit from him.

Most amazing jew boots
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:27 PM #180 of 196
Spoiler:
You don't need the Holy Mail at all. All you really need is a fully mastered Shuriken subweapon and a couple of tonics to replenish MP. Once you learn how to make all four Shuriken land, you can take down Richter pretty quickly without getting anywhere near the whip's range. I took him down pretty much right as the fight became available using these tactics without even taking so much as a hit from him.
Spoiler:
That's true, I know someone else who used the mastered Shuriken to easily beat Richter. Honestly, if you want to go through the effort of mastering it that method sounds a lot easier. I never really mastered any subweapons until Wind's quests started requiring it, so that wasn't an option for me.

Oh, and the Holy Mail is dropped by the Mummy boss of the second desert painting I believe.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:04 PM Local time: Jan 22, 2007, 09:04 PM #181 of 196
Spoiler:
That's true, I know someone else who used the mastered Shuriken to easily beat Richter. Honestly, if you want to go through the effort of mastering it that method sounds a lot easier. I never really mastered any subweapons until Wind's quests started requiring it, so that wasn't an option for me.

Oh, and the Holy Mail is dropped by the Mummy boss of the second desert painting I believe.
Spoiler:
What I did to master weapons fairly quickly, was first take Charlotte in LUCK increasing gear + LUCK Spell into the City of Haze where the Peeping Eye is like right there when you go into one of the rooms, and repeatedly kill him quickly (jump in, hit, dive out, repeat) netting up to 9 Eye of Decays (sell for 12500 each), as two runs of that will net you the Master Ring from the shop and double mastery points when equipped.

The subweapon in question doesn't have to outright KILL the target, you just have to use it against the target once to gain points. In the portrait room with the four small portraits and larger portrait, the one on the very right (has graves on it, believe it's the Dark Academy) has an Alura Une about three screens to the left of the entrance. She's worth 11 mastery points and is easy as hell to kill and respawn. Just jump in, fire Shuriken, then use whatever to take her out, and repeat the cycle for 22 mastery points each time you use the Shuriken. I mastered almost every weapon using this very technique, though I'm not sure if having two Mastery Rings would make it 44 points or not. If so, just repeat first paragraph process once more for another Ring.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 09:10 PM #182 of 196
Spoiler:
What I did to master weapons fairly quickly, was first take Charlotte in LUCK increasing gear + LUCK Spell into the City of Haze where the Peeping Eye is like right there when you go into one of the rooms, and repeatedly kill him quickly (jump in, hit, dive out, repeat) netting up to 9 Eye of Decays (sell for 12500 each), as two runs of that will net you the Master Ring from the shop and double mastery points when equipped.

The subweapon in question doesn't have to outright KILL the target, you just have to use it against the target once to gain points. In the portrait room with the four small portraits and larger portrait, the one on the very right (has graves on it, believe it's the Dark Academy) has an Alura Une about three screens to the left of the entrance. She's worth 11 mastery points and is easy as hell to kill and respawn. Just jump in, fire Shuriken, then use whatever to take her out, and repeat the cycle for 22 mastery points each time you use the Shuriken. I mastered almost every weapon using this very technique, though I'm not sure if having two Mastery Rings would make it 44 points or not. If so, just repeat first paragraph process once more for another Ring.
Spoiler:
Huh, and here I've been slaughtering zombies since they die so easily and respawn in large groups. I wasn't quite sure how mastery points worked, and I thought it was based more on the number of enemies killed with that weapon. I'll use your method to get the three Holy subweapons mastered.

Most amazing jew boots
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:05 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 04:05 AM #183 of 196
Spoiler:
Huh, and here I've been slaughtering zombies since they die so easily and respawn in large groups. I wasn't quite sure how mastery points worked, and I thought it was based more on the number of enemies killed with that weapon. I'll use your method to get the three Holy subweapons mastered.
All you really need to do with a subweapon is land one hit on the target with it, and then you can kill the target with whatever other means you want. You need to make sure to have a Master Ring equipped when you kill the target to earn the double points. Each monster has an SP (Subweapon/Skill Points) rating (you can see it in the bestiary) that determines the number of points you'll get on a particular subweapon for defeating it. Alura Unes (at 11 points a piece) seems to be the most efficient way possible to master weapons before you have access to the other areas of the game, because of the location of the one I mentioned and how weak they really are.

FELIPE NO
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:18 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 05:18 PM #184 of 196
Spoiler:
Actually, I do have the shuriken mastered and maxed out. I think I'll try him on again laters.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
OH MY FRICKIN SHIT. I just beat him extremely fast, only using the shurikens. The thing is, for some reason I thought you couldn't use items (potions). Bah
Thanks for the help Tenkai Star

Last edited by Syndrome; Jan 23, 2007 at 10:26 AM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:54 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 03:54 PM #185 of 196
Can someone tell me what the purpose of wifi is.

I haven't started this game properly yet (only 2 hours in) but I'm thinking of thrashing the hell out of it when I'm ready.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:05 PM #186 of 196
Can someone tell me what the purpose of wifi is.

I haven't started this game properly yet (only 2 hours in) but I'm thinking of thrashing the hell out of it when I'm ready.
The wi-fi essentially has 3 different functions:

- Co-Op mode online is basically a boss rush, but with a few normal enemies at the beginning of it. It's really easy as long as you get the right partner, and there's an item at the end depending on your time. Usually it's just food, but I've gotten some nifty things like the Invisibility Cloak.

- Shop mode has two different functions. You either go into another person's shop and buy items from them at ridiculous prices that the game itself sets, or you put items on a display list and connect as the shopkeeper. As I said, the prices are already set for each item, but they're a great deal higher than what you'd get normally. You also don't seem to lose the item after it's sold, but I'm not completely positive on that.

The problem with setting up your own shop is that it's the same as Co-Op with partners. It connects you to someone else and you're forced to disconnect after your last customer leaves (I've had two at once before). It would've been great if you could just set up shop and leave your DS sitting there while customers come in and out, but noooo.

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:00 PM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 11:00 PM #187 of 196
The only good usage for the shop is buying up items you don't feel like unlocking or obtaining normally. I was able to fully complete the bestiary getting every common/rare drop in the game, but there are several items that require Boss Rush records or items that don't drop twice in the game that you can buy in that manner.

I never really bought anything from the online shops, though was tempted to buy a second Thief Ring. In the end, I didn't need it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:19 PM #188 of 196
I couldn't resist buying a pair of Gambler Glasses towards the beginning in an online shop. Seeing percentages rather than stars is so helpful.

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:05 AM #189 of 196
The online shop was incredibly helpful for me because I had sold some of the "only-one-in-the-entire-game" items like the Long Sword and the Nun equipment because I had absolutely no idea the were needed for some of the quests.

Most amazing jew boots
DarkDraco911
Veteran Ninja

Member 426

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:14 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 06:14 PM #190 of 196
Have Charlotte wait under the doorway you entered and cast the spell there. As Jonathan you will have to take the brunt of the sisters' attacks, while trying to keep Charlotte in view at all times (or else she'll warp). Do it my way and it's easy as pie. If they use the triple ice sword attack, you will probably have to try again later, or else they'll get you before the incantation is finished.
THe way I did it was to use Charlotte and cast Sanctuary there while Jonathan distracted them. It takes a few tries but it works.

CAUTION: This strategy WILL fail if you give Jonathan ANY powerful weapons.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eusine2
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16395

Level 3.09

Dec 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 01:46 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 02:46 PM #191 of 196
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I need some help with the game. Could anyone sell me an Ancient Armor? I'm trying to beat hard mode with the lvl 1 cap, and I can't beat the very last boss ;_; Two of his attacks spell instant doom for me (And the wing one is specially hard to avoid @_@;;; ).

So, if any of you is kind enough as to sell me that armor, I'd be very very grateful. (I don't know if this was mentioned before in the thread, but you don't lose what you sell in your wifi shop, so even if you have just one Ancient Armor you will still have it in your posesion after the sale)

---
EDIT= Nevermind, killed the bastard already xD

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Eusine2; Feb 20, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 09:04 PM #192 of 196
Not too much into necromancy these days, but I've got good news and bad news.

For those whom missed it, the official soundtrack is out.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1omr3s

Bad news is I can't get it, sendspace hates my guts. Please help!

garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:48 AM #193 of 196
hey, this might be slightly off topic but for those who have not played the first DS castlevania, Aria of Sorrow. I just happened by my local Best Buy yesterday and it is now one of "Konami's Best" and Best Buy was selling it for 9.99 so I picked it up.

Just thought I would post this somewhere relevent, even though it is a stretch.

How ya doing, buddy?
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 07:25 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2007, 10:25 AM #194 of 196
I'm horrible at Sisters mode. I'm left handed and its impossible to hit all the buttons while playing left handed. My co-ordination isn't as good with my right hand as left.

Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:00 PM #195 of 196
I know that feelkng. Why couldn't they just make the xyba buttons also move them /sigh.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:28 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 01:28 AM #196 of 196
So I bought this just recently. Sunday infact.

Looking abck at earlier screens, It's pretty cool that didn't even turn out to be a boss. Tutancarmen was jsut some enemy you fought and yet, still huge. In fact from what I've seen, most of the bosses seem to be a little, small. And also, sexy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin