Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Shadow of the Colossus review

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 12:29 PM 1 #1 of 16
Shadow of the Colossus review

If I was given the choice to review a game in three words or less, I would choose the following three for Shadow of the Colossus:

Epic
Beautiful
Moving

I've been playing games for damn near 20 years now. Never in my life have I experienced a vision of art, be it a TV show, movie, or video game, that has engulfed me so wholly into its world. Shadow of the Colossus is as much a video game as it is an emotionally engaging piece of art. It is as fun as anything I've ever played, while simultaneously being as engrossing as anything I've ever watched. It's a huge, sprawling world, and it's just you, your horse, and 16 of the biggest, baddest beasts on the planet.

I suppose I should tell you about the story. Don't worry, I won't give anything away. Basically, you play as Wander, and you enter this forbidden world where it's just you and the dead woman on your back. You place her on an alter, and are told that it "may not be impossible" to bring her back to life from a mysterious voice above you. From there, you set forth on your journey.

On paper, the game doesn't even sound like it should be good. It's basically 16 boss battles when you get right down to the nitty gritty of it. But wow, what boss battles they are. Each one completely outdoes the one before it, whether it be in size, challenge, appearance, or just utter coolness. For a game to have even ONE boss battle like any of these is already awesome, but considering there are 16 of them in this game, it's nothing short of mindblowing.

The battles themselves are completely remarkable. Your task is to fell a huge beast. You first need to figure out just how the hell to get on the damn thing before you can even figure out how to go about fighting it. In that regard, it's somewhat of a puzzle game amidst the other obvious elements of action and adventure. Once you figure out how to get onto the colossus, you're in for literally a wild ride, holding on for dear life as the colossus shakes and tries to get you off of it. Being on the top of a giant colossus and seeing the entire world in front of you is nothing short of breathtaking, and is something that literally knocks the wind out of you at times.

What makes this game so emotionally enthralling is because it picks and prods at tons of feelings a human is capable of experiencing. Love, loneliness, pride, curiosity, excitement, thrill, sadness, happiness, confusion... The list goes on. This is a game that thrusts you square in the middle of a huge, empty world. It's this loneliness that gives you chance to connect with this game. When most games try to cram tons of NPCs and other things into their world, SotC limits your inhabitants to you, your horse, your dead lover, a voice above you, some bugs scattered around, and 16 giant bosses. It sounds boring, but once you sit back and let yourself get lost in the world, you'll realize that it's unlike anything you have or likely will ever experience for a long time.

Visually, the game excels nearly flawlessly. It may not have the prettiest-looking things, but the art direction is simply unmatched. Even visual spectacles like God of War have nothing on the size and scope of this game's art direction. Imagine being told to create a literally EMPTY world, save for a few landmarks to save your game, and 16 resting places for colossi. It's a daunting task, and the fact that it was created with such unmatched beauty and grace is just remarkable.

Aurally, this is one of the most incredible scores I've ever heard. It's brilliant on its own, but when you hear it all in-game, it makes the battles with the colossi all the more exciting. My only gripe is the super-noticable crossfade done to transition from "less exciting" to "super exciting" pieces of music. Nothing huge, but compared to a game like Zelda: Twilight Princess that uses MIDI tracks, I end up missing the seamless musical transitions that MIDI allows you. Oh well, that's just me.

My main gripe about this game when I first played it were with the controls. Over time, you get accustomed to them, but I still feel that they feel almost TOO organic. it makes great use of the pressure sensitivity of the controller, but I can't help but feel like it still controls strangely. It feels very much like Ico, a game I tried and tried to get into, but couldn't. In the end, it controls well, but it feels weird nonetheless.

Once the game is over, you are treated to the option to play it through in hard mode, and also fight against the colossi in a time trial mode. This is all excellent, because it gives you more excuses to play through this game again.

Shadow of the Colossus is not a game from everyone, but I still think that everyone should play it. It's easily one of the most engaging games ever made, and one of the most emotionally gripping as well. The ending will leave you shocked and speechless. It's powerful to say the least, and undoubtedly one of the most well-played endings I've ever witnessed. It is a game that is not to be missed, and if you ask me, it is the best game of the previous generation, and one of the best games of all time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2007, 01:15 AM #2 of 16
Interesting. I've always wondered what kind of gameplay it had to offer with all the epic music and stunning visuals I keep hearing and seeing about. I actually heard the other day that the game has no clear cut story basically until the end stages so I didn't know what to expect. I wonder if this game has any annoying flaws in particular.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2007, 02:58 PM #3 of 16
None that I could find, and I'm a picky bastard when it comes to games. The story is basically you trying to bring the dead girl you brought with you back to life, with the story deepening the further along you get in the game. It's very well done.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2007, 05:33 PM Local time: May 29, 2007, 03:33 PM #4 of 16
Uh, slowdown and choppy framerate. Those are pretty big flaws.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: May 30, 2007, 09:25 AM #5 of 16
You place her on an alter
On an altar, actually. Alter is a verb.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 07:33 AM Local time: May 30, 2007, 01:33 PM #6 of 16
Uh, slowdown and choppy framerate. Those are pretty big flaws.
Can't say I noticed any of either when I played through it. Maybe it's your console?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 04:25 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 03:25 PM #7 of 16
Aye, I saw the slightest bit of slowdown on a few of the dirt kicking bosses, but that's about it.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 05:42 PM #8 of 16
There's a bit of slowdown, yeah, but that doesn't detract from the overall experience. I wouldn't have remembered it if you hadn't mentioned it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 01:17 AM #9 of 16
It must have something to do with the console you play it on, because on mine the framerate went from bad to worse when you actually started fighting a colossus.

Most amazing jew boots
bahamuty
Celestial Chocobo

Member 1438

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:11 PM #10 of 16
I only remember slow down on #16 if there was any on the others it wasn't significant enough to notice. I've heard of people with older Playstation 2s having the ground not load in time while they are running with Agro and they fell into the blue void and died. That's never happened to me but my PS2 was relatively new when I got SOTC, so I think the age of the PS2 could be a factor causing some people to have more slowdown or glitches.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by bahamuty; Jun 7, 2007 at 11:23 PM.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:15 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 09:15 PM #11 of 16
Interesting! Though the headless Mono scares the shit out of me.

As was probably intended.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
bahamuty
Celestial Chocobo

Member 1438

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:27 PM #12 of 16
Sorry, I posted the pictures in the wrong SOTC thread I moved them to the main one. But yeah headless Mono scared me the first time I saw her.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lycanthrope
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 24695

Level 3.41

Sep 2007

Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:06 PM #13 of 16
When I first started the game, I was mildly disappointed by the emptiness of the world, but when I failed miserably at simply cutting down the first few bosses as I'd been expecting, I found out how complex and puzzling it really was.

My only problems were the controls, which took time to get used to, and the stupid horse (Was it "Argo" or am I mistranslating?) often got in the way or hindered me in some other respect.

This reminds me... I'd better get back to actually completing the game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Yeldarb
River Chocobo

Member 4464

Level 24.63

Apr 2006

Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:10 PM #14 of 16
I loved the game tremendously. The unique environments always kept my attention while fighting the colossi so I died alot

But it was really fun and I consider it a game that should be played by all(except for Smelnick). Though my only peeve was that once you finish the last colossus there isn't much left to do except reach The Garden. Which it isn't all that special anyway. I can't wait until they come out with another game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:44 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2007, 03:44 PM 1 #15 of 16
I liked the game a lot, but there was a massive amount of slowdown. Those white things which served no real purpose at all except for climbing on would always make everything move terribly laggy and slow when I was at the top.

If it "depends on the PS2 you use", what's different about the PS2 models which would cause the slowdown? (I was using a SCPH-30001R model).

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:09 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2007, 09:09 PM #16 of 16
If it "depends on the PS2 you use", what's different about the PS2 models which would cause the slowdown? (I was using a SCPH-30001R model).
There isn't a difference.

I'll give Mo0 the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "maybe yours is broken in some way" rather than "XYZ model is different from ABC".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles > Shadow of the Colossus review