Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What food does your home town specialize in?

Jin
Syklis Green

Member 383

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:59 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 08:59 AM #26 of 61
Let's see, Hawaii, Kona to be more specific. I guess Kona is known for Kona coffee. But that's more in south Kona in the boonies where there are still plantation houses instead of downtown Kona which is like a small town. For the Big Island of Hawaii, I know Kairyu will say Hilo is known for locomoco, and in Hamakua it's Tex Drive inn for their variety of malasadas. Like strawberry malasada or ice cream malasadas.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Jin; Jul 5, 2006 at 08:27 PM.
taytsay
Carob Nut

Member 1393

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 03:46 PM #27 of 61
Dubuque, Iowa: Home of the Dressing Sandwich. In other words, people will take stale bread in the form of dressing (like for Thanksgiving) and put it between two pieces of bread.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dan1500
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5624

Level 2.74

Apr 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 11:07 PM #28 of 61
Sheffield specializes in the Pork Sandwich. A sandwich where the inside of the breadbun is rubbed with pork dripping (fat basically). Filled with hot sliced pork, stuffing, apple sauce and crackling (more commonly known as pork rind). This is definately one of the more traditional Yorkshire foods, up there with fish and chips, though probably alot more localised in Sheffield.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 01:48 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 10:48 AM #29 of 61
Pittsburgh, home of putting french fries on everything. From steak salad's to the world famous Primanti's Bros. sandwiches. Also, pierogies are pretty tasty, and there's a big Polish population here.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:16 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 02:16 PM #30 of 61
My hometown of Guadalajara, Jalisco in Mexico is actually well known for one delicious junk food delicacy (a fucking Mexican oxymoron, if I ever heard one) that is truly a chore to eat if you’re not akin to spicy foods: Tortas Ahogadas (Loosely translated it means “drowned sandwich”)

If anyone has ever had a “torta” you sort of know the basic construct of the sandwich. The difference with this one is that the bread is purposely hardened because they are made with only the bread, beans and pork “carnitas”. It is then fully dipped into a deathly-spicy tomtato-based sauce and left to soak for about 20 seconds or so. Since the bread needs to be somewhat hard when the sandwich is made, this actually softens it just a bit and is then garnished with tomatoes, ground pepper and lemon. Now, keep in mind that is a sauce so hot and spicy that it has made whimpering pussies out of the most boastful spicy food enthusiasts I’ve ever met. The secret, or course, is always in the sauce and there’s only one place here in the U.S. that I’ve ever been to that has come close to emulate that spice titan of a sauce and it’s in a tiny taco stand in East L.A. I only wish I could remember the name of it. :/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:17 PM #31 of 61
This place in Philly I forgot to mention called Nifty Fifties has the best shakes in the world. They home make a lot of their ice cream and their shakes are just amazing.

FELIPE NO
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 11:46 AM #32 of 61
Jin would be right in saying that Hilo, Hawaii would probably be known for its LocoMoco. Because i have been to some places in the mainland, hell even japan that saidthey served locomoco's HAHAHAHAHAHAHA please!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 07:57 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 01:57 AM #33 of 61
Paella. >_>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sonne
Project Gamma

Member 1967

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:47 PM #34 of 61
Miami and Cuban Sandwiches. Shit, I just had a Medianoche, a modified cuban sandwich on dark, sweet bread.

Makes life worth living.

Quote:
So this one time a Ballerina came to Perth and so this chef invented a dessert for her. Her name was Anna Pavlova so it's called Pavlova.

It tastes like what you would expect something named after a ballerina to taste like. Heaven

Spoiler:

New Zealanders will probably lie to your face about this, claiming to have invented it themselves. Just remember that these people are fucking idiots, Elixir a prime example.
In 6th grade, there was a world's fair. I had the New Zealand exhibit and after much research I decided to serve pavlova and peanut butter and banana sandwiches. People loved that shit.

Last edited by Sonne; Jul 5, 2006 at 09:52 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 07:56 PM #35 of 61
Originally Posted by Sonne
Miami and Cuban Sandwiches. Shit, I just had a Medianoche, a modified cuban sandwich on dark, sweet bread.
Those are Cuban? I was seriously under the impression that they originated from Puerto Rico. I had a friend in high school who was Puerto Rican and her mom used to make those when we'd have study groups at their place. It was lamb on a toasted and honey-sweetened bread, I think and I'm almost positive that they called them "medianoches".

What a trip... =o

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Melee
Good Chocobo

Member 1586

Level 16.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:07 AM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 01:07 PM #36 of 61
Originally Posted by XSO
Oh Paellera means in german Paella-Pfanne. I ate in former times already several times, it taste super! *yum*

From my home town:

Munich and Bavaria
Leberkäs' (meat loaf, doesn't contain liver), various dumplings, Käs'spatzen (pasta with cheese and roasted onions), Spanferkel (pigling), Spießbraten (skewered roast), Weißkraut mit Kümmel (white cabbage with caraway seed), Schwammerln (forest mushrooms with dumplings) mit Knödeln (forest mushrooms with dumplings), Leberknödelsuppe (liver dumpling soup), Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen (roast sausages), Weißwurst mit süßem Senf (white sausages with sweet mustard), Brezn (Pretzel), Obatzder (spread made from camembert, butter and onions), Bayrische Creme (Vanilla cream), Strudel (filled cake made from very tin dough that's rolled), Nürnberger Lebkuchen (ginger bread from Nuremberg), Steckerlfisch (skewered trout, grilled).

The generally wide variety of food and drinks in Germany should include something for everybody. The advantage for diabetics is that they hardly have to limit themselves. In restaurants you'll always find light dishes as an alternative to the typically German meals, which indeed are quite substantial and contain a lot of fat; normally various salads and low-fat meat products are offered. Apart from that you will find international cuisine almost everywhere in Germany. So there's no problem if you need a little taste of home.
German bakeries offer a big choice of bread variety, so a diabetic can always choose between various wholemeal rolls and bread. Many ice cream parlours are also prepared for diabetics and offer ice with sugar substitutions.

I'm so sorry for my english! :/
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 03:12 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 01:12 AM #37 of 61
I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles where there exists a huge Taiwanese-Chinese population and because of that, the Chinese and Taiwanese food there was unbelieveably great.

Now this is not your typical Panda Express type Chinese food, this is the real stuff, Shanghai dumplings, Beef Noodle Soup, Cold Chicken Noodle Salad, Pork Chop Rice, Stir-Fried Rice Ovals, I can go on and on. It's tricky because while the shops there are a dime a dozen, you have to really know your stuff because there are great finds within the crowd of good but overall mediocre resturants.

That area is pretty much know for it's amazing Chinese food, Cantonese, Taiwanese and Chinese. In fact, it's hilarious because the food there is just as good if not better than the food I get when I visit Taiwan or China.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:17 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 10:17 PM #38 of 61
Being from Adelaide (SA, Australia), I have to say it would be the 'Pie floater' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater), which is essentially a meat pie in a thick pea soup. At a recent tourism convention/expo it was served to delegates and met with mixed reaction (not surprising) along with all the other regional goodies: wine, oysters, seafood etc.

How ya doing, buddy?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:45 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 07:45 PM #39 of 61
I'm from a town called Lilo-an in Cebu, Philippines

It's some sort of cookie/biscuit

FELIPE NO
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 01:11 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 12:11 PM #40 of 61
Originally Posted by taytsay
Dubuque, Iowa:
Oh wow...I remember reading that town's name in an orchestra presentation about Dvorak XD.

A dressing sandwich doesn't sound too appealing to me, but my parents go on and on about my grandma's stuffing at Thanksgiving...maybe it's a use for all the leftovers....

How ya doing, buddy?
Yarbles
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5247

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:47 PM #41 of 61
Around here, in North Carolina, the big thing is BBQ'd pork. Most of the time, people here just cook a whole pig and slice it off while sitting at the table. In my small town alone there are around 5 places that specialize in the Carolina' style BBQ with the vinegar sauce. Lexington BBQ, only a half hour drive from here, is supposibly the best BBQ you can get...Anywhere. Even Bojangles has brought a BBQ plate to the table, however I am bet they do that elsewhere too.

Another thing my area is kind of known for are the 'carolina' style hamburgers. It's got chilli, slaw, and mustard and it's really good. When you order a hamburger at a local joint around here you get that, not a regular hamburger. Wendy's has even named a burger for us; the carolina classic.

gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 11:44 AM #42 of 61
I live in a beach city, so a lot of our food is stuff that the surfers can get quickly before heading back out. We have a great Mexican restaurant right by the beach. They have some of the best burritos. We've also got a lot of pizza places and old diner style restaurants. People don't really come here for the food, though. they come for the "small beach town" aspect.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:37 PM #43 of 61
Originally Posted by Capo
Pittsburgh, home of putting french fries on everything. From steak salad's to the world famous Primanti's Bros. sandwiches. Also, pierogies are pretty tasty, and there's a big Polish population here.
I found an awesome picture of this sandwich. Check it:

How ya doing, buddy?
fluffywuffy4

Member 9784

Level 1.60

Jul 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:06 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 01:06 PM #44 of 61
well...

Depoe bay seems to have several restruants each offering the "world's finest" clamb chowder.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 02:22 PM #45 of 61
one being moes...I know that.

Most amazing jew boots
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:49 PM #46 of 61
Originally Posted by Slash
one being moes...I know that.
lol, it would be funny if you were one of my old friends from taft high...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 03:03 PM #47 of 61
never went to taft...im in SoLame so yeah

FELIPE NO
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 06:04 PM #48 of 61
Not anything that I know of(I need to get out more -_-). Down here in the south, I often seen biscuits fly off the shelf like no tomorrow. I swear, as soon as we open(I work at a fastfood rest, no, not McD) people order biscuits like no tomorrow. Though i like to make my homemade biscuits from scratch.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
zandroid

Member 9675

Level 2.25

Jul 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 06:29 PM #49 of 61
Here in Tucson? It's an Eegee, bar none. Kind of like this...umm...snocone? That's the closest approximation I can come up with. More of a combination of snocone and all-fruit smoothie. They have thing called 'flavor-of-the-month' plus two or three regular flavors.

Not bad, if I do say so myself. Definitely good when you're getting your wisdom teeth pulled (or any other dental surgery, for that matter).

Onyx
Chocobo

Member 384

Level 10.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 04:12 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 03:12 PM #50 of 61
Here in St. Louis, we're apparently known for our toasted ravioli. I've heard that it's difficult to find anywhere else.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > What food does your home town specialize in?