Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] GFF Anime Club

Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:12 AM #351 of 369
lol no you didn't - as my last post said tonight was catnapped and robot carnival - i was merely saying what we'd start next week

nice to see a post in this thread not made by me though so <3

might as well throw out the anything i could be doing better bit again - there it is

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:23 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2011, 12:23 PM #352 of 369
FUCK YES CATNAPPED

I MEAN I MISSED IT BUT STILL FUCK YES

HOI HOIIIII

Most amazing jew boots

Talec
Dandelion Cysts

Member 802

Level 26.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:56 PM #353 of 369
Yay ;_;

(still vexed that I missed Tree of Palme, though)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:02 PM #354 of 369
Starting Dennou Coil and Astro Fighter Sunred 2 tonight. Hope to see you guys in the stream shortly.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:49 PM #355 of 369
More Dennou Coil and Sunred this evening. Hope to see you in the stream shortly. I'm waiting~

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:20 PM #356 of 369
It's been like 4 months since I last showed Baccano on the weekend. I'm gonna actually finish it up tonight. Amazing - I know. See you guys in a couple minutes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:39 PM #357 of 369
Of all things I appear to be a bit earlier than usual. I seem to start more like after 9 PM or something these days. Anyway I'm just waiting in the stream for people so I can start Dennou Coil. More of that and Astro Fighter Sunred tonight. =I

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:54 PM #358 of 369
Starting a bit late tonight. Yeah... so much for 9 PM being a new standard feh...

Finishing Astro Fighter Sunred tonight so we'll be need a new comedy when I return from vacation. Yeah no anime club or waw next week (most likely).

See you in a couple minutes hopefully.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 04:09 PM #359 of 369
Exclamation ATTENTION! BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Okay, this has probably been a long time coming but it's something that needs to be done. I'm going on hiatus after this week. Having completed 2 out of 3 shows I will be marathoning seven episodes of Dennou Coil each night this week completing it on Thursday. There will also be one more WAW on Wednesday for those of you that double dip. After that I will be on hiatus only doing Let's Play streams every now and then.

Why am I doing this? A couple reasons actually.

1) I have a huge backlog of shows that need archiving and that means both actually going through and encoding, timing, and doing html bullshit and also rebroadcasting a good amount of shows locally that got cut short due to technical difficulties and other unforeseen crap that was out of my control that left me with partial recordings. So I will taking some of the hiatus time to just rebuild a proper archive and hopefully get a nice system down so I can keep it going well when I break hiatus.

2) I'll be returning to school and until I can figure out how that will work for me it might be a good thing I'm not doing shows. Depending on my school schedule I may have to shuffle the streaming schedule around to different days and/or times.

3) Attendance has honestly been pretty poor (even for WAW) and that could be attributed to waning interest, conflicting schedules on the part of viewers, my inconsistent broadcast start time, disinterest in what is showing, and/or disinterest with my stream entirely. I realize you all have your own lives and it's just another dumb stream on the Internet. Some of my fondest memories were when I started this thing up and had some funny regulars from #gfchat that got me into this to begin with but they have since either lost interest or have conflicting schedules. I regret not being able to satisfy everyone's schedule and that was what the archives were for and I think neglecting them is part of how I lost some of my audience. Another thing is general apathy I see in the forums and even this thread. When I started this thing I thought it would be more like the simulcast threads on something awful where we watch a couple episodes and then while we do some fun mst3k hijinks in the stream chat we'd then come back to the thread and talk more seriously about what we're watching. Instead it's usually just me chiming in with a post indicating I'm starting the stream soon and maybe a post asking for show requests met usually with no responses. I'm not perfect and I do shoot down some ideas but I think I've been fair and meeting requests too. In any case it is true that attendance has been rather low. The best events I do are still the rare Drink On and my Let's Plays and as such those will be the only streams I'll do during the hiatus.

For those of you that have been with me through most of this I really appreciate you being there and all the bullshit you have put up with me. If this was the thing that really made your Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights then I'm really sorry that I'm letting you down. Hopefully when I come back it will be a more consistent program with a honest to goodness archive kept up to date regularly and hopefully a better attended stream. Thank you all so much again for making this one hell of a thing. Here's to one more week and then it shall be hiatus time. Feel free to let me know what you think of all this and of course any suggestions that I should take into account during the down time.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:22 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2011, 04:22 PM #360 of 369
I will say this here, but I mean it for both streams: You, personally, have absolutely nothing to apologise for. You have never let anyone on these boards down. You are hands down the most helpful and accommodating person we have. These streams have been great when I could catch them, and the archive even more so. You run drink-on, you let us MST3K the hell out of you in Let's Plays, sir, I say this because absolutely everyone here should.

THANK YOU

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:28 PM #361 of 369
o u~ <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

also reiterating that i will still be doing let's plays and drink on's during hiatus

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 05:29 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2011, 04:29 PM #362 of 369
Well of course you will. Preferably at the same time at some point. Club Drink-On: Abuse Acer edition.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:40 PM #363 of 369
loool

well anyway starting late not that this is unusual but come on in for 7 episodes of Dennou Coil

we'll be starting very soon as soon as enough people show up (three hopefully - including me)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:15 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2011, 08:15 PM 2 #364 of 369
LET US PASS

So that song "Tooryanse" that plays when they're crossing the road and that electric song comes through? It's a very old Japanese folk song from the Edo era and it actually has some significant meaning to the animu "Dennou Coil" we're watching.

YouTube Video

because this is kinda boring:
Check out the translation (again, mostly my interpretation and transliteration, so forgive me if it doesn't roll with the tune so well):

Tooryanse (Let us pass)

通りゃんせ 通りゃんせ Tooryanse tooryanse (Let us pass, let us through)
ここはどこの 細通じゃ Kooko ha dokono hoso michi ja (What/where is this narrow path?)
天神さまの 細道じゃ Tenshin Sama no Hoso michi ja (This path belongs to the God/Goddesses)
ちっと通して 下しゃんせ Chiitto to~shite kudashanse~ (Let us pass a little, please)
御用のないもの 通しゃせぬ Goyo~ no nai mono toosha senu~ (Those with no purpose, shall not pass)
この子の七つの お祝いに Konoko no nanatu no oiwaini (For this child's 7th birthday celebration)
お札を納めに まいります Ofuda wo osameni Mairimasu~ (We're offering prayer notes)
行きはよいよい 帰りはこわい Ikiwa yoi yoi Kaeri wa kowai (Going there is fine, coming back is scary)
こわいながらも Kowainagaramo (Although it is scary)
通りゃんせ 通りゃんせ Tooryanse, tooryanse (Let us through, Let us pass)

So here's the background to the whole nursery rhyme. As you can see in the picture from the youtube clip i posted, it's basically a "Ring Around the Posey" or "London Bridge," but with a scarier connotation. From the "going there is fine but coming back is scary", it implies a situation in someone could be "Spirited Away" or from the word 神隠し (Kami-kakushi) and literally translating that to "God-hiding" the song kind of hints that you can go "there" but you may (or may not) come back.

I said earlier that this was a song from the Edo-period (Between 1603~1868 AD). So in those ages, children living past their 6th birthday (they counted the day of their birth as the 1st birthday in those days, so the 7th birthday would have actually been a full 6years the kid was alive) was kind of rite of passage point since the infant death rate was quite high due to all the illnesses we typically get vaccinated for nowadays. Some regions would believe that you cut out a paper doll when the child is born, have that as the "protecting spirit" for the child, and then when they reach their 7th birthday, the parents would go "return" the paper gods back to the Gods. So that's where the "ofuda" (tags) come from.

"Kowai" can also be sort of a regional slang / dialect meaning "tiresome" so it could just be that "Going to make the offering is easy enough but coming home is a rough journey home."

But yeah, just watching the show tonight and actually paying attention to what's been going on, I can't help but think the producers of this show just basically wrapped the entire concept of this show around this song.

Oh, also btw: a lot of streetlights in Japan play this song (kind of a double feature; for people who are too short to see the light when there's a hoard of people crossing (which does happen, I've been there)) and for the blind) as a signal for "you may pass while this song plays" but it usually never plays through the whole song. Those that do, cut off at "going there is fine, coming back is" and then fill it with SIREN NOISES after that so it makes you think that "If you're trying to go back the way you came at the point of us playing this song, it's going to cause a traffic accident, SO DON'T YOU DARE". Very psychological. So that might be why the show references to "accidents" a lot.

By the way, the "ofuda" can be also read as "tags" rather than notes. And those metatags? Looks awful lot like "ofuda"s to me~ :3

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Shorty; Aug 10, 2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Found a reason.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:52 PM #365 of 369
Wow I don't think I could prop that post enough. Certainly gives a new light to the song and the show. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Last night's show ended on a real cliff hanger so I'm eager to see the rest of it on Thursday. Everyone was really getting into it and I must say the seven episode marathon format seems to do well with a good show like this. Three episodes just seems like a tease and so with that in mind I mentioned that I'm considering a new format after the hiatus that would be six or seven episodes of just one show per day. The only problem with this idea is that you have to wait an entire week to see the next batch of episodes. At the same time I had no issue doing this with my weekend shows when I ran them regularly each weekend so the patience is there although being the weekend perhaps the attendance is not.

Speaking of attendance last night got a slow start but we had a good four people actively on the edge of their seats by the end and although the numbers weren't high everyone was piping in and having a good time so thanks again for coming. =)

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Talec
Dandelion Cysts

Member 802

Level 26.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:02 PM #366 of 369
I will say this here, but I mean it for both streams: You, personally, have absolutely nothing to apologise for. You have never let anyone on these boards down. You are hands down the most helpful and accommodating person we have. These streams have been great when I could catch them, and the archive even more so. You run drink-on, you let us MST3K the hell out of you in Let's Plays, sir, I say this because absolutely everyone here should.

THANK YOU
also Shorty your observations are very interesting! Thanks for posting them :3

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:08 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2011, 03:08 PM #367 of 369
Acer, what time are you starting today?!?!! I DO NOT WANT TO MISS ANY OF THIS.

Please let us know what time you starting so I can time my "fake illness to go home early" today. Thank you!!!!!! <33333

FELIPE NO
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:50 PM #368 of 369
Alrighty starting the last 7 episodes of Dennou Coil soon and then it'll be hiatus time until I get my shit figured out. It's been a pleasure but please remember this is not the end. I am fairly certain the broadcast will return (hopefully soon enough). I do love doing it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] GFF Anime Club