Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

One in Eight Americans Now Receives Food Stamps

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:35 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 04:35 PM #51 of 74
not to be a semantic shit, but there's a difference between the costs of instruction, and the costs of receiving an education

instructors and institutions will always cost money, but getting an education should not

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:46 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 02:46 PM #52 of 74
It's always seemed in my experience that those paying at least part of their own way in college tended to take their studies a bit more seriously than those completely on their parent's dime.

I guess I'd be all for free education as long as you actually had to get an education in order to get the piece of paper at the end.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:25 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2010, 11:25 PM #53 of 74
If I'd have had to pay what kids do these days to go to Uni I certainly would have tried to actually learn something while I was there, rather than just getting hammered for three years.

How ya doing, buddy?
InvestmentBankr
Banned

Member 35157

Level 5.67

Jan 2010

Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:14 PM 1 #54 of 74
It's always seemed in my experience that those paying at least part of their own way in college tended to take their studies a bit more seriously than those completely on their parent's dime.

I guess I'd be all for free education as long as you actually had to get an education in order to get the piece of paper at the end.
thats a good point to make but i think the system should sort itself out. people who dont take their studies seriously will fail and those who do will pass and those who pass will succeed in life.

i think the important thing is to at least give everyone free access and the opportunity to education. what each person does with the education is up to the individual. we can give them free education but its up to them to make use of it.

i think thats better than someone not being able to get an education because they cant afford it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:46 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2010, 04:46 PM 1 #55 of 74
Except the problem with making a college education free for everyone is the total devaluation of a college degree, and the likely decrease in the quality of an education everyone will get. Do you think it'll be any more fair when colleges expect the same quality of work as our current high schools?

I'm in total support of making college free for everyone, but restricting the everyone to the people who will take their education seriously.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:30 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 01:30 AM 2 #56 of 74
Any education is better than nothing. A society that puts more value on the exclusivity of post-secondary than an educated populace is headed in the wrong direction.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:26 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 09:26 AM #57 of 74
I suppose learning how to do a kegstand is more important than, say, learning a worthwhile trade or skill.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:29 AM 2 #58 of 74
Just so I understand, your argument is that people shouldn't be able to get an education because then you wouldn't feel special.

Why should you care if a college degree is devalued? It's all these nebulous trades and skills that really make people succeed in life, right?

Tell you what, we'll both get an education and THEN you can become a plumber's apprentice and I won't. Then you'll still have the edge over plebes like me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:10 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 11:10 AM #59 of 74
Okay, so now education is free. Anyone can go to post-secondary institutions. Now where does the money come from to accomplish this? Health care? Public works? University isn't high school. A proper university is expensive as fuck to run if you want a decent quality of education. You need to pay a fair amount to attract bright minds to teaching, you need money for the very expensive science equipment, you need money for grad students and research grants. You can't just magic that into existence. Some places can pull this off when they have a lower population and a high income, but big countries it just isn't feasible.

Don't get me wrong, what Americans charge for education is fucking ludicrous, especially when you set that side by side with the quality of education you actually receive. But to expect the government to pay for all of it is bloody asinine as well. I'm all for subsidizing education and making sure the best and brightest get the best education, but not everyone needs or belongs in a university. If they really want an education, I hear community college is cheap and accessible.

The system isn't perfect, but if you think education can be free and held to high standards, you're living in a dream world.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:20 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 06:20 PM #60 of 74
Okay, so now education is free. Anyone can go to post-secondary institutions. Now where does the money come from to accomplish this? Health care? Public works? University isn't high school. A proper university is expensive as fuck to run if you want a decent quality of education. You need to pay a fair amount to attract bright minds to teaching, you need money for the very expensive science equipment, you need money for grad students and research grants. You can't just magic that into existence. Some places can pull this off when they have a lower population and a high income, but big countries it just isn't feasible.

Don't get me wrong, what Americans charge for education is fucking ludicrous, especially when you set that side by side with the quality of education you actually receive. But to expect the government to pay for all of it is bloody asinine as well. I'm all for subsidizing education and making sure the best and brightest get the best education, but not everyone needs or belongs in a university. If they really want an education, I hear community college is cheap and accessible.

The system isn't perfect, but if you think education can be free and held to high standards, you're living in a dream world.
And this is coming from a man with four degrees.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:39 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 11:39 AM #61 of 74
And this is coming from a man with four degrees.
And paid for all of them myself, thank you. Of course if I tried that in the States I'd be like, 70K in debt or so right now, I'm sure.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:14 PM #62 of 74
And paid for all of them myself, thank you. Of course if I tried that in the States I'd be like, 70K in debt or so right now, I'm sure.
Just one degree can cost $70k in debt in this country.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 01:29 PM 2 #63 of 74
They only cost so much because of artificial scarcity

People are buying up degrees in bulk on the cheap in foreign markets, forcing the value of the few remaining degrees into the stratosphere

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:17 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 01:17 PM #64 of 74
Just one degree can cost $70k in debt in this country.
Yeah, but I take funny joke degrees that you don't need to go to a really high end school to get.

Anthropology?

Hah.

P.S.

YouTube Video

The new Yale Admissions video.

Ivy League.

Business be serious.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:00 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 06:00 PM #65 of 74
When has anybody ever said this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:39 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2010, 06:39 PM #66 of 74
When has anybody ever said this?
Free education for all IS freedom if you ask me.
Birthday girl did.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:49 PM Local time: Jan 21, 2010, 08:49 AM #67 of 74
In principle, I have no objection to providing free education for all. So long as "all" are willing to pay for it with taxes.

However, I question the "arms race" dimension of it all. Way back then, you can get by with a high school degree. Then, everyone's gotta get a college diploma. Pretty soon, you'll need a Master's. When does it stop?

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:32 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2010, 07:32 PM #68 of 74
A MS is actually seen as the entry-level degree in a lot of engineering fields.

Rex_Banner
Wark!

Member 36075

Level 2.12

Jul 2010

Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:38 PM #69 of 74
Well someone please think about the children!!?

I was never big on welfare like most in my postion, but I'm not keen with the idea of children going to sleep starving in America.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:42 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2010, 04:42 PM #70 of 74
Well I'm glad you're not a total monster. Good job on not being human filth.

Rex_Banner
Wark!

Member 36075

Level 2.12

Jul 2010

Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:09 PM 1 #71 of 74
Well I'm glad you're not a total monster. Good job on not being human filth.
That wasn't directed at me was it?

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > One in Eight Americans Now Receives Food Stamps