Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Immigration Protests

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 01:16 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 02:16 AM #426 of 453
Originally Posted by Night Pheonix
Your argument fails because it ignores the fact that America's proximity and ease of entry into the country (illegally) is the primary reason why Mexicans come to America instead of someone else.
Oh so collecting handouts isn't why they're coming to America? Thank you.

Originally Posted by Lord Styphon
Similarly, the Florida Channel doesn't deter people who really want to get out of Cuba, but the Atlantic and Pacific do inhibit Asians and Africans from trying to get into the U.S. illegally in numbers similar to those of Latin Americans.
Of course sorry. Everyone is trying to come to America.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 11:27 PM #427 of 453
The free hand outs come in many forms; whether it is the free usage of our health care system, our police, our firemen, state and federally funded welfare programs, etc. It is all coming out of the American tax payer’s pocket and going into the hands of people who shouldn’t be here.

This is a huge problem here in Oregon. We have people coming here illegally and having as many children as they can, all of which are now receiving food stamps, free healthcare, and free schooling among other things. What makes it worse is that even when they do catch people who are illegally here (even on drug trafficking charges) they let them out on bail and give them a court date, HELLLO they aren't going to show up. On top of that Oregon's Governor has taken the idiotic stance that he refuses to let state Agencies check if the people receiving the states services or getting state ID are illegal (or even wanted for that matter) and it is bankrupting the state.

You can say there are no hand outs all you want, that doesn’t stop them from taking revenue from our system that the American public now has to make up for in the form of higher taxes. Sounds a lot like wealth distribution to me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 04:40 PM #428 of 453
Originally Posted by Ridan Krad
Why? It's an actual example of a group of people who are frustrated over the situation caused by illegal immigration. Is CetteHamsterLa's personal experience with the minimum wage problem also invalidated because he is not a representative of everyone?
These examples do matter, and yeah, sucks to be CetteHamserLa. That kind of thing shouldn't happen, and it's the real problem with illegal immigrants working undercutting wages. It is a symptom of the issue, not another issue. This is the reason why I am against illegal immigration to begin with.

If all the illegals here now are given amnesty, don't you think that this would send a clear message to others that if they come here illegally, they will, given time, also be given the same reward?
Well, that's the problem. And that's also the part that the proposed changes haven't addressed very well IMO. If legal immigration were made a more attractive option, there would no longer be a reason to do it illegally. To deal with the undercutting of wages it'd require a pretty watchful eye on employers, and that's something many don't seem to want (I'm all for going after those who are the ones undercutting wages illegally. It starts with the employers.)

If wages were raised back to where they need to be by law, and legal immigration were a more attractive (easier) option, why would they come illegally? This option however is quite passive, and is therefore immediately dismissed by many people.[/QUOTE]

Unless everyone in the US becomes bilingual (which would be nice, but let's be realistic, with the current education system, this just isn't feasible), I see the language gap to be a major problem when it comes to national unity.
I'm still not sure why this unity is all that important. I mean, is there a significant downside to having, for lack of a better term, Spanish states, as long as they still hold to the roughly accepted ideals of what it is the be American?

If it were officially a bilingual country, everyone wouldn't need to be bilingual. It'd only be relevant in some areas. And I don't see why improving the education system is beyond consideration either. ESL classes are pretty cheap and quick, and get a person enough language that they are able to get by in English. Shouldn't be too much of a reform to add SSL classes in those areas that would benifit. Sadly education is something that doesn't get nearly enough review and reform in every country I know of.

Making language(s) official would go a long way to even starting on the language issues.

Most amazing jew boots
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 05:16 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 05:16 PM #429 of 453
ESL classes are admittedly a good idea but from what I've come to understand the ones in place are pretty ineffectual. Now admittedly I haven't been through the school system here so I'm lacking first hand experience. It's my fiancee that's from here but she's explained some basics of it anyway. Apparently as is they teach the classes with english trying to be pushed on them fo the first three years or so and then just kind of dump them in with everyone else after that regardless of progress. And when they come from a household/neighborhood that speaks entirely spanish that really doesn't cut it.

I mean hell I had that long in spanish when I was going through school and due to having no need to use it anywhere around me I admittedly ignored it and didn't learn a damn thing same thing for them. When you see no need for it and especially when your parents also see no need for it then something's not likely to be much of a priority. Then you add in the whole wealth distribution to school's making it so the area's where large numbers of spanish speakers live have much worse educations overall doubly so in the english department do to them almost universally being the lowest income area's.

I mean probably making sure everyone knows at least the basics of spanish and english from school is ideal but it's a whole other can of worms getting the school system to be even vaguely effective at it. Also think of how half assed it would be gone about in area's that see little need when even the places that desperately need it now have it completely fucked up.

Also that just may be New Mexico's problem with it but i have a hunch that in most area's with a high spanish speaking populations at least some of the same issues pop up.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!

Last edited by A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS; May 31, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 05:56 PM #430 of 453
I've been through the Boston ESL classes 7th and 8th grade, regular ed for high school. I got into a few prestigious colleges with full scholarships ($45,000 a year) and have a few freinds who went through the same system and are going to MIT, Harvard, and Yale.

By the same token, though, most of the people in my ESL classes are now house cleaners and painters.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 06:18 PM #431 of 453
So the real question there is are they house cleaners and painters who can speak enough english to be understood? If yes then I think we can conclude that Boston has it's shit together in this regard.

FELIPE NO
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 06:27 PM #432 of 453
Yes, absolutely.

But not necesarily because our ESL classes are great. They came here when they were 12-15. They had it easy picking up the languages. Their parents don't speak a lick.

I will tell you about my mom though. She is a house cleaner, makes good money, actually. She can speak english just fine, but she panics very easily. That is, to say, she can understand everything, order a meal, go to the movies and get the gist of the movie, but she can get nercous and shut down and not understand anything anymore.

She's a fine citizen like that, I think.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 01:57 AM #433 of 453
The last I heard of the ESL (now known as ELL) program a couple of months ago was it was a complete failure here in Oregon. There was a report that stated a large percent of the students that came out of that program couldn't speak English and were in fact behind those that had full emersion English schooling. I’ll have to look for the news paper that I read it in.

When I was in high school I had classes with several students that had completed their ELL classes and were then put into regular classes. Several were Russian and a good number of others were Mexican. None of them could speak English beyond a few words, they normally only associated with others of their country, and I remember a lot of them just not showing up for class anymore because they didn’t understand what was going on and probably didn’t see a need to continue to waste their time.

On the other hand my fiancé went though the same classes, she now speak fluent English, can read and write at a college level, and is currently attending a University.

Also the age thing isn’t as telling as you might think. There is a janitor who works for a company that cleans the building I work in. This man is in his mid-50s and has been here less than 2 years from Russia. I’ve been here at this company almost a year and a half now. When I started the guy could only make very, very simple conversation and had never had any schooling English before coming here. Now however he understands English about as well as any 5 – 7 year old and is getting better every day. If an old man can do it by working hard, any of these other people can do it as well. What I do see is a lot of people who just don’t want to put forth the effort to try and learn the language.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 08:37 PM #434 of 453
I don't have that problem in my school, Gumby. Well, it's an Academy, so you can't really get away with not speaking proper English, I guess. But generally in my region, you're pretty much right. I see a vast amount of immigrants not putting forth the necessary effort and initiative to integrate into American society. I think we should make our forms and things so difficult that learning English is a pressing prerequisite. That'll make a great incentive to learn the language. Agreed?

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Ridan Krad
And All Eyes Fix on the Death of Tomorrow

Member 690

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 08:57 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 06:57 PM #435 of 453
Originally Posted by PUG1911
I'm still not sure why this unity is all that important. I mean, is there a significant downside to having, for lack of a better term, Spanish states, as long as they still hold to the roughly accepted ideals of what it is the be American?
Unity on general principles of language and culture is important in that it tends to overlap into other such ideals such as what it is to be American. Of course, I'm aware that some degrees of division already occur with the existence of culturally based communities (e.g. Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Little Italy, etc.), but these divisions are relatively small as they are contained to regions with cities, rather than taking over entire states. On a state level, I think major differences in ideology are a problem.

Making language(s) official would go a long way to even starting on the language issues.
Actually, I agree with you here, in the sense that I think establishing English as the official language of the United States would be benefitial to taking a firmer stance in encouraging immigrants to adopt English.

Adopting two official languages, however, would be a problem unless the education system was significantly changed so that Spanish was taught right from kindergarden.

If wages were raised back to where they need to be by law, and legal immigration were a more attractive (easier) option, why would they come illegally?
Given that the United States already seems to be relatively open to immigrants, just how open are we supposed to become? I think some people will not ever be satisfied until the United States has opened its borders to all.

Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 04:56 AM #436 of 453
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
I don't have that problem in my school, Gumby. Well, it's an Academy, so you can't really get away with not speaking proper English, I guess. But generally in my region, you're pretty much right. I see a vast amount of immigrants not putting forth the necessary effort and initiative to integrate into American society. I think we should make our forms and things so difficult that learning English is a pressing prerequisite. That'll make a great incentive to learn the language. Agreed?
I went to public school... It was also the poorest school in the district, which had the highest level of ELL students, had gang issues, drug problems, teachers sleeping with students, and 2100+ student body in a school designed to hold 1500. Our teachers are also paid some of the highest wages in the nation and we get the least for our tax dollars :/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 10:51 PM #437 of 453
Oh, that's fucked up. My school is really good on diversity. No one generally has problems with another's race or something. Although, I have to admit that we had a drug episode, but that's done and over with because the perp. got pwned... You gotta make your child really smart I guess.

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:12 AM #438 of 453
I will say that people who wanna be in this country should be loyal to this country and carry our flag. While I'm not terribly patriotic personally, it's only logical from an immigration standpoint.

I also fully support making English the one and only official language of the country.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Why are you arguing with WoW players? It's pronounced "Shut the fuck up and get a job. Raiding isn't a job." - Lukage
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 02:20 PM #439 of 453
So, by making English the official language what do we gain? Do we no longer offer services in other languages, to people who might be trying to integrate into the society, but still aren't fluent enough in English? Are there penalties for speaking any other language in public?

Yes, the majority of people in this country speak English, but a huge minority speak another language as their first language. I, myself, speak more than just English, but it is my mother language. Look at Europe, it's hardly linguistically homogenous, but everyone functions normally. In fact most Europeans speak 2 or 3 languages, as a norm. It's not like Americans are incapable of this, it just seems that we have some disdain for anything foreign and it's related to some distorted sense of patriotism.

FELIPE NO

Posting without content since 2002.
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 05:27 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 05:27 PM #440 of 453
I'd say it's more likely lazyness and being used to not having to learn other languages as generally in the U.S. you can go a couple hundred miles in any direction and still be speaking the same language as everyone else. In Europe not so much so it's more it's much more important to their day to day lives to know several languages. I'd say outside of some border states it's completely unnecesary here.

And making it offical would make it much easier to force the issue where as at the moment people can still throw out the old "well it's not the offical language so we don't have to learn it" arguement. It'd if nothing else clear up a lot of the ambiguity about the issue.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS; Jun 1, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:49 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 10:49 AM #441 of 453
So.. what about the large amount of illegal immigrants who use stolen Social Security numbers and other information to steal identities so they can get a job and work? You do need a SS number to get a job, right? Has anyone ever wondered how they get these? They buy them, steal them, borrow them, or use fake ones (which are sometimes real ones of either dead people or living people).

Then if you are one of those unlucky people who have had thier identity stolen alot of companies will not do anything about it. Since it's cheap labor and they are not going to want to get rid of it. It's also apparently pretty hard to clear your name and get rid of huge bills and taxes that get pinned on you when they go unpaid.

Plus, it's hard to know if someone else is using your SS number since Social Security wont tell you and it wont show up on your statement. You only find out when you suddenly get strange bills or get denied something like unemployment because you're already working (usually in a completely different state). A large amount of people have no idea they are sharing thier identity with someone else.

I know the blame can't be put completely on illegal immigrants because the people who have thier identities stolen probably didn't take care of it very well. Also, alot of illegal immigrants do it because they have to if they want to feed thier families or want to make a living. But it can't be denied that it's still a problem with illegal immigrants.

After reading the thread I now understand I've been wrong on many of the opinions I've held on this subject. But this part of the problem is pretty bad, dont you think? I also dont hear it talked about very much when it comes to illegal immigration..

How ya doing, buddy?
Stuff goes here~
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:08 PM #442 of 453
Originally Posted by Shonos
So.. what about the large amount of illegal immigrants who use stolen Social Security numbers and other information to steal identities so they can get a job and work?

[...]

I know the blame can't be put completely on illegal immigrants because the people who have thier identities stolen probably didn't take care of it very well. Also, alot of illegal immigrants do it because they have to if they want to feed thier families or want to make a living. But it can't be denied that it's still a problem with illegal immigrants.
Of the black market surrounding stolen identities, illegal immigrants are probably the least to blame. Do you think there'd be no market for SSNs without them? Come on, be reasonable. It's like saying that GFF's My Stuff is 'still a problem' with pirated goods; while technically true, it's near minute in the big picture.

Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:36 PM #443 of 453
Why would you go through the trouble of STEALING a SSN when you can just make one up?

Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:57 AM #444 of 453
The law is the law for a reason, it's there as a guideline that is meant to be observed, reguardless of whether or not you have good intentions or not. A good samaritan trying to speed up and stop a speeding criminal in a police chase for instance is still breaking the law, same as an immigrant coming here illegally and working here illegally. Don't say that they take the jobs that none of us want to touch, I mean fuck, here in Michigan for instance our unemployment rate is the highest in the country. Don't tell me no one else will take those jobs because that is simply not the case.

Although I have to say the rednecks with the 'go back to your country, you dirty wetback!' signs piss me of to no end.. Here we are trying to solve this dilemna and you essentially just flung shit at everyone like the retarded apes you are.

How ya doing, buddy?
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 07:05 AM #445 of 453

Well.

I've said it before: no point in following an unjust law. Blah di blah.

PS: You came in a little late in the thread. This has been discusses to no end. As a matter of fact, the thread was already dead.

So there.

POLO!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > The Immigration Protests