Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Saddam Hussein to receive death penalty

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:39 PM #101 of 175
Hooray for idiots in Dearborn, MI dancing in the streets, cheering for his execution.

"YAY JUSTICE LIEK WUT"

I laughed at CNN's headline image showing him and his dates of life.

Awww he deserves a melancholy obituary image.

Back to the idiots in Dearborn: they're celebrating like they just won a championship or something. Don't these people have anything better to do?

WOOOOOOOOO

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Dopefish; Dec 29, 2006 at 10:47 PM.
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:45 PM #102 of 175
I just heard that he was executed. I'm sorry, I might get flack for this but it pisses me off. I'm against the death penalty. To me it doesn't matter how horrible you are or how many people you killed, no one deserves to die. I just don't think we have the right to take one's life to justify the crimes one commited. Ugh and hanging of all things...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:14 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 10:14 PM #103 of 175
Take it up with the Iraqis.

FELIPE NO

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:29 PM #104 of 175
I just heard that he was executed. I'm sorry, I might get flack for this but it pisses me off. I'm against the death penalty. To me it doesn't matter how horrible you are or how many people you killed, no one deserves to die. I just don't think we have the right to take one's life to justify the crimes one commited. Ugh and hanging of all things...
You speak as if the United States or a church was in charge of his trial. He was tried under Iraqi law, a judicial system that he helped install. Saddam approved the death penalty when he was dictator, then abused it. It's not without irony that the same system convicted Saddam and ordered his death. It is up to the Iraqi people to decide whether they can accept acting as his killers, which they obviously can.

I believe in fairness, not pacifism. Those who would intentionally take a life should be willing to give up their own in payment. This is the proposition that a soldier accepts when defending his country. This is the risk a murderer accepts when he kills an innocent. If you live by the sword, it is only fitting that you die by it also. Fair is fair.

But let's not turn this into a big circle-jerk over whether it's ethically just to hang a despot. The deed has been done and now all we can do is wait to see if anything improves.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:35 PM #105 of 175
He was just executed. There was a story on our news station about how the middle-eastern community around my area (Detroit) are going nuts over it, celebrating in the streets and all that jazz.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:51 PM #106 of 175
You speak as if the United States or a church was in charge of his trial. He was tried under Iraqi law, a judicial system that he helped install.
Oh I know it was under the Iraqi law. But I don't get why it matters anyhow? So what if it is under a different law than the US, I still feel strongly against the penalty. I'm not saying they should change it, I just don't agree.

However I never really thought about him helping in the installment of the system. It is ironic, and you're right, since he did agree with it while he was in control...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:49 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 12:49 AM #107 of 175
Quote:
But I don't get why it matters anyhow?
Because anthropology tells us that it isn't right to judge other cultures based on ethnocentric value judgements. Know what that makes you? A racist. Go burn crosses on your own time, honky.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:01 AM #108 of 175
Because anthropology tells us that it isn't right to judge other cultures based on ethnocentric value judgements. Know what that makes you? A racist. Go burn crosses on your own time, honky.
Excuse me, where in my post was I judging their culture? Because I don't agree with a law of theirs I'm a racist? Look I'm not going to go into this huge explanation but I am heavily interested in other cultures and I appreciate them. No where did I say anything about the Iraqis or their country. Oh and I am far from a honky. I'm against the death penalty, period. I don't care what country adopts this law or not, but it is no way my reasons because of their culture.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Lalala; Dec 30, 2006 at 01:04 AM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:10 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 01:10 AM #109 of 175
More honky jive. You gotta wise up, turkey. If you disapprove of the actions of a foreign culture, then you're negatively judging them based on your own perspective.

Incidentally, r you a women?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:18 AM #110 of 175
Ok these last couple of posts help nothing whatsoever, neither does the provoking.

My thoughts on this..Saddam was a bad person, for what he's done, he deserves nothing more than pain and despair. Death I think..too easy, too quick, and doesn't solve a thing, and won't bring back anyone who did die under his feet. He deserves a prison cell in the dark until he naturally dies. Like Lalala, I don't believe in the Death Penalty [This has nothing to do with Islam and Saddam]. From a Judeo-Christian perspective, no one under those two religions has the right to take another life un-naturally, especially people who uphold justice and law. They have no right to play God in who lives and who dies. God himself decreed it himself it was never to be done, no matter how much your enemy has done to you. That's my general look on the death penalty, not a technical outlook on it, so don't give me situations and scenarios or technicalities, it was my general view.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 01:21 AM #111 of 175
So your general view is that it's more acceptable to torture people than it is to execute them. Sounds like sadism. Tastes like butter.

FELIPE NO
Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:24 AM #112 of 175
If you disapprove of the actions of a foreign culture, then you're negatively judging them based on your own perspective.
I just don't like the idea of the death penalty in general. It's not like Iraq is the only country using the death penalty. Sorry, I just don't see this as a cultural issue.

Quote:
Incidentally, r you a women?
Yes I am.

Last edited by Lalala; Dec 30, 2006 at 01:27 AM.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:25 AM #113 of 175
So your general view is that it's more acceptable to torture people than it is to execute them. Sounds like sadism. Tastes like butter.

Where the hell did I say that bucko? Did you interpet 'pain and despair' as torture? If so, you're wrong.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:40 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 01:40 AM #114 of 175
Pain and Despair sound an awful lot like what you'd get from being tortured. If you're thinking of some kind of moral test like God's trial of Job it's foolish to think that he would do the same for anybody else.

Kim Jong Il is still in power, after all, and his father Kim Il Sung lived out his life of oppressive totalitarianism to a peaceful grave. If you think that somebody deserves pain and despair, then the reasonable conclusion is that you think it'd be ok if they were tortured.

Of course, the "Christian" argument is that it's not our place to punish people for their crimes in such a manner. It should be up to God to decide. Yet we punish people and judge them without God for their infractions on a secular daily basis. If someone is deserving of pain and despair, and not death, why shouldn't they be tortured? Barbarism? Please.

Quote:
It's not like Iraq is the only country using the death penalty. Sorry, I just don't see this as a cultural issue.
Because you're a product of a culture, and whether it's becuase you were influenced by a hippy liberal pacifist one or a pacifist Christian one, you're still making judgements about the death penalty based on a cultural perspective. Therefore, if you think it isn't right that Saddam was executed, then it automatically means that the Iraqis were wrong. The fact that you're a woman also calls your perspective into suspect, because women are categorically more likely to adopt pacifist or liberal views. Your inability to accept reason as an emotional woman could be used as an argument by myself if I was dumb as shit, but you see this whole thing is just a joke to me, including your opinion on the matter. I mean, for God's sake, I'm using racial slurs from the 70's and you're still taking my assertion that you're racist seriously?

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:41 AM #115 of 175
To be fair, Brady, I don't believe that Lalala is objecting to the death penalty for geopolitical reasons. Her(?) argument seems more based upon spiritual conviction. And while that dogma is assuredly fueling her convictions, she would likely object identically if someone were put to death on American soil.

But yes, expecting other cultures to conform to your beliefs makes an assumption that both sides derive their belief system from the same source and that one has woefully erred. Objecting to a death penalty is noble enough, but also naive in thinking that these other cultures can be swayed from practices that they truly believe to be just. This is their choice as a people, and though you may not approve, it is best to accept their decision.

Intolerance isn't necessarily racism, but it is often prejudice. And that leads to worse beliefs if unchecked.

One should merely be gracious in acknowledging our right to object in general. Under Hussein's dictatorship, the people didn't even have that.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:52 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 01:52 AM #116 of 175
Also, to be fair on my end, Crash. She never said anything about changing the way they do things in Iraq, she only said that she found the Death Penalty morally revolting.

Most amazing jew boots
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:53 AM #117 of 175
Pain and Despair sound an awful lot like what you'd get from being tortured. If you're thinking of some kind of moral test like God's trial of Job it's foolish to think that he would do the same for anybody else.

Kim Jong Il is still in power, after all, and his father Kim Il Sung lived out his life of oppressive totalitarianism to a peaceful grave. If you think that somebody deserves pain and despair, then the reasonable conclusion is that you think it'd be ok if they were tortured.

Of course, the "Christian" argument is that it's not our place to punish people for their crimes in such a manner. It should be up to God to decide. Yet we punish people and judge them without God for their infractions on a secular daily basis. If someone is deserving of pain and despair, and not death, why shouldn't they be tortured? Barbarism? Please.

My definition of pain and despair is more metaphoric, than literal. And Saddam doesn't exactly deserve a free and happy life no? Pain and despair to me would be exhiled to a cell, completly cut off from everyone, including inmates and workers in the prison. The only interaction you would get would be sometimes getting a shower, and food, but it would be rare. I think it would be justice if he was alone until he died, let the silence of the people that he tortured and gave death to ring in his ears until his heart stops.

Now you say that 'It should be up to God to decide. Yet we punish people and judge them without God for their infractions on a secular daily basis.' Well I think we as people should be allowed to carry out justice and law, without there's chaos of course. But I think death..doesn't belong with Justice personally, and neither does Torture, for I am against that too. Torture is inhumane, and shows the darker side of humanity, the only way for humanity to grow is to let go of their lust for violence and vengance.

Lalala
astro lady

Member 6122

Level 6.82

May 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:57 AM #118 of 175
I mean, for God's sake, I'm using racial slurs from the 70's and you're still taking my assertion that you're racist seriously?
To be truthful I wasn't sure if you were serious or not. But I decided that maybe you were being serious but because you used Jive and honky (which did make me giggle btw) I thought you were being facetious but at the same time serious...if that even makes sense. lol

And you're right Crash my view is on religious beliefs. Like I said earlier though, I'm not asking for them to change.

Last edited by Lalala; Dec 30, 2006 at 01:59 AM.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:00 AM #119 of 175
Well then, your stance as a conscientious objector is noted. Fair enough.

FELIPE NO
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:15 AM #120 of 175
That's what i'm really afraid of, the insurgents causing more violence and destruction to our soldiers and to their own people out of vengance.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:20 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 02:20 AM #121 of 175
Vengeance for what? Saddam didn't have a cult of personality, his entire regime was based on a You-Scratch-My-Back I'll-Scratch-Yours... or else system. Without a power base, there's nobody who possesses any personal loyalties to Saddam that aren't already openly resisting occupation or shooting up mosques.

If you think solitary confinement is acceptable, then your perspective of pain and despair has gone beyond the metaphorical (if that's even possible?).

Solitary confinement is torture, because you're intentionally causing suffering to an individual via social neglect as an act of punishment.

Psychological means of torture are no less significant than the physical ones. At least with the rack, people were still possessed of sound mind.

Quote:
But I think death..doesn't belong with Justice personally, and neither does Torture, for I am against that too.
Yet you are also advocating solitary confinement, but I've already debunked that notion.

Why is there no justice in death? Is it because the convicted are not granted the opportunity to be punished for the crimes they've committed? Is it not justice that murderers should lose their life, the one thing they took from their victims that can never be given back? The only thing anybody can ever truly possess?

Quote:
To be truthful I wasn't sure if you were serious or not.
I'm serious in that I think it's important people think about why they are possessed of an opinion. Understanding the nature of perspective is an important part in understanding truth.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:28 AM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 11:28 PM #122 of 175
That's no reason to kill a man*.

*Not saying Hussein didn't deserve to die.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 02:39 AM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 11:39 PM #123 of 175
I dunno, it just seems to me he feels ok with dying. What harm would it be to anyone if he was just kept in a cell 24/7 for the rest of his days. I know I'd rather be dead than that.

SlightlyOddGuy
The Higher Cow

Member 14439

Level 3.73

Oct 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 03:15 AM #124 of 175
According to Wikipedia, he actually had been executed. But that's Wikipedia. You never know.

Edit: Whoa. I didn't realize this page filled up so fast. Ignore this post.

Edit again: In fact, I think I just was stuck on page number four...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vive le roi.

Last edited by SlightlyOddGuy; Dec 30, 2006 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Old news.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 03:30 AM #125 of 175
Vengeance for what? Saddam didn't have a cult of personality, his entire regime was based on a You-Scratch-My-Back I'll-Scratch-Yours... or else system. Without a power base, there's nobody who possesses any personal loyalties to Saddam that aren't already openly resisting occupation or shooting up mosques.

If you think solitary confinement is acceptable, then your perspective of pain and despair has gone beyond the metaphorical (if that's even possible?).
Like I said, do you think he should be un-punished for his crimes? Free? He deserves to be punished for what he has done, and I can think of no better punishment than a social exhile from everything.

Quote:
Solitary confinement is torture, because you're intentionally causing suffering to an individual via social neglect as an act of punishment.
That's your point of view, to think what I am saying is torture. My point is death is not the answer to anything, and it won't bring back anyone, and it won't solve anything. Do you think his death will make the insurgents go "You know what, they're right...lets bring out our white flags and surrender." No, you kill one saddam, ten more show up. It's a cycle of violence and pain, that will never end, unless someone acts big and ends it. That 'someone' being them or us [The West]. And like i've said, being exhiled from society is something that would be good for everyone. He would be punished for his actions, and basically...thinking about what he did, until he dies naturally. Kinda like permanent Time Out if you will.

Quote:
Why is there no justice in death? Is it because the convicted are not granted the opportunity to be punished for the crimes they've committed?
Because I don't believe that death is justice, but more like a archaic form of personal vengance on a subminal level. You gain nothing by killing another life. And if you're a christian...holy shit, you commited one of the top ten sins, no matter how much your actions were sincere and 'good for the rest of the world'. I'm not as christian as I used to be, but I think some of those ten laws [the big one being 'thou shall not kill'] should be something the west should embrace.

Random question...are you a righty? *smirk*

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Saddam Hussein to receive death penalty