Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Is ur windoez 4 realz?
Ja 66 51.97%
Nein 61 48.03%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Is your Windows for realz?

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:58 AM #1 of 83
Is your Windows for realz?

I've been wondering, who among us has an authentic, store-bought (or computer-shipped) copy of Windows installed on their PC, and who has a pirated version of some sort?

Today I went to install Internet Explorer 7 beta. Apparently I have to validate Windows to install it. I saged that and downloaded a pirated IE7 to install on my pirated Windows XP Pro.

But at the same time I feel: most computer ship with Windows XP, even if it is Home edition. I had to pirate XP Pro for two reasons: to install IIS (webserver, so I can edit/test webpages locally) and to join Domains. (Actually, does Windows XP Pro have any useful features besides this?) In a way I feel I don't really owe MS that much because I already own their software, but in a crippled form.

I also like how even if you do have a valid copy of XP, after about 3 activations online, you can activate your installation of the OS anymore. At that point you have to call MS and explain your situation. This is retarded, since I must format C:\ five to ten times a year for various reasons. (After a while, the process of installing/uninstalling software causes things to break and I just feel much better doing a clean install.)

Anyway. Discuss.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shadow Drax
Carob Nut

Member 285

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:46 AM #2 of 83
Mine is ~ technically. It came from the MSDN Academic Alliance which I gained access to at Uni because my team project required some pretty specific MS software. (Well, I had Home, and I'd have taken any excuse to ditch it for a legit Pro, especially for free!)

I believe that I can only use it while I'm still a student, but to be honest, I'll keep on using it afterwards too!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:10 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:10 PM #3 of 83
Mine came with my notebook - so yes, it's legal.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:11 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:11 AM #4 of 83
Besides my two legit copies of home and pro --I guess I'm pirating windows too.
Like you Eleo, I reformat and reinstall the OS at least twice a year; per computer! And frankly I can't be bothered to fork over hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for another copy that'll only last me one or two years .

Sure I feel bad that I have to do it this way, but I'm one of those people that thinks its stupid to put a limit on the activation.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:22 AM #5 of 83
Quote:
Since the Windows Genuine Advantage debut as a pilot on 9/2004 Microsoft is slowly making the program more annoying and intrusive.

In the beginning the WGA was an opt-in feature, and then slowly it became mandatory. Users who choose not to validate their copy of Windows can not download updates from Windows update (they still can download critical security updates via automatic update feature in Windows).

On Tuesday Microsoft will make WGA more intrusive and will use scare tactics to make users validate and purchase a legal copy. On 4/25/06 Microsoft will start WGA Notification in the US, UK, Australia, NZ and Malaysia. The WGA notification has been running as a pilot in several countries such as Norway, Taiwan, Sweden, Israel, Denmark, Poland and other countries.

The new WGA notification campaign will have a new logo for OEM and system builders, as seen here exclusively for the first time.

The new Windows Genuine Advantage Logo

Some users will begin to receive the update as early as Tuesday next week. When a user goes to WGA to validate and/or download things like IE 7.0 or Media player or take advantage of the Buy Local offers they may receive the notification if their copy is not genuine.

Up until now if you didn’t validate your copy of Windows nothing happened, but now with the WGA Notification, every time you reboot your computer, log-in and periodically (every hour or so) Windows will display a nag screen “reminding” you to validate your copy.

Log-in Nag Screen

From the first time users get the request to validate they have 14 days to comply. After 14 days they will not be able to download security upgrades such as IE7 and Windows Defender. Critical security updates will still be available like it is now.

Tooltip baloon nag message

Microsoft hopes that by notifying users that they are not eligible for all security upgrades it will drive more users to purchase a legal copy of Windows, and also report the counterfeit dealers that sold them their copy. In some cases Microsoft will give a free license to users who are victims of a high quality counterfeiting.

However there are good news for those who still don’t wish to validate their copy (and no it is not GEICO). There is a way for users to turn off the notifier but it may be turned back on in the future as they try to download the latest updates to IE or Media player or take advantage of the Buy Local offers through their local system builder.

And last note, if you think that this is the end, Microsoft is preparing enhanced notification and better VLK validations in Windows Vista.
source
::everyone cracks::

That, or everyone moves onto the Firefox based Windows updates. (Speaking of which, what is the link to that.)

Actually, I have a legal version of Windows XP Pro (got for $5 because of Microsoft Campus Agreement,) but I haven't installed it on my computer because I don't care enough, and my pirated disc is just so much more awesome than the regular XP disc.

Not to mention, I plan on buying a new computer eventually, anyway, so why use my license on the computer I currently have, when I'm not going to be using it for a longer time. Although I think I can pick up a new copy of Windows XP in the Spring 2007 semester. Maybe by then I can get Vista for $5!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:45 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 01:45 PM #6 of 83
This computer came with a legit copy of XP Home, but I've yet to touch the disc. I'm on a pirated XP Pro ~

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:59 AM #7 of 83
I have 2 copys of XP Pro, one is legit and the other is pirated. I also received my legitamate copy Windows XP from the college I go to, something like $15. I'm running of the legit copy right now, because I figure hey, it isn't inconveniant the first time to play by the rules. When I buy my new computer, I'll probably end up running my pirated version though.

FELIPE NO
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:33 AM #8 of 83
All of my operating systems have been graciously granted to me for "free" through my school's MSDNAA program. I even have free access to their top of the line software development tools, as well as all of their server OSs.
And because I am a dual major of EE and ME, I have double the available licenses at my disposal.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:12 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:12 AM #9 of 83
My PCs all run Linux, so it's a non-issue for me. My brother's PC is running a pirated version of XP, and my Mac is running a legit version of OSX 10.4.

As a Linux user, it really pisses me off that more OEMs aren't shipping OS-less PCs, and that MSFT is now getting on the case of overseas or small-time providers for doing just that. They claim that "selling blank PCs is aiding pirates" because EVERYONE who buys a PC with no OS is going to pirate windows.

Because Linux doesn't exist. Or something.

This is why I'll always build-ideological soapbox ranting aside, I'm not paying extra cash for software I'm never going to use. If they sold a packaged standalone license of XP with OEM boxes, then fine, I could resell it. But no, can't do that either.

For the times I need Windows on my laptop for software that isn't available on Lin/Mac, I use a copy of XP that I get through Illinois Tech's MSDN partnership.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:20 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 08:20 AM #10 of 83
I use a CD-R copy of WinXP Pro with a illegal key. I don't really see the point in paying if I'm forced to upgrade every serveral years (due to new programs only running on the newest OS). Hell, you can't even play some newer games on Windows 2000, even though it's only one year older than Windows XP. I chose not to install that WGA BS Merv mentioned. Funny how doing a manual install allows this.

Neo-Zacar
Chocobo

Member 111

Level 10.49

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:36 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 06:36 PM #11 of 83
Pirated xp corp (pro), and had to put the pirated to laptop too because the legit wasn't accepted by windowsupdate.

i see no reason for signatures other than mindless spam
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:51 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:51 AM #12 of 83
There is a rumour going around that in the past, I ran a less than legitimate version of XP Pro corporate edition {as in the one that doesn't require registration}. Of course this is unsubstantiated. Currently, I run a fully legal and paid for version of XP Pro corporate edition. And I still don't care for this genuine advantage bs.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:00 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 05:00 PM #13 of 83
I heard similar rumors about my 2003 Server install...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:12 AM #14 of 83
Every computer in my house that runs Windows has a legal license, surprisingly enough. The Dell that my Siblings have came with XP. The P3 Dell we let my mother use I moved the XP License from my laptop (which I run Linux on) over to. When I built my Dad's computer he insisted on a legal license, and on my Desktop's XP Partition I use the $5 license I got through MSDN.

WooshaQ
Wheel of Ka

Member 502

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:31 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 06:31 PM #15 of 83
LOL, in my entire PC owning period I've never seen an original copy of windows, guess my dvd drive will never taste the original rotten work of bill 'the asshole' gates and his lazy good for nothing crew

FELIPE NO

Last edited by WooshaQ; Apr 27, 2006 at 04:24 PM.
OnlyJedi
#!/usr/bin/perl

Member 4747

Level 7.65

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:40 PM #16 of 83
When I ran Windows, it was always a pirated version. With pirated Office, pirated PowerDVD, pirated this, pirated that. Everything we had was pirated, and we gave copies to friends and family to pirate. Heck, the store we bought our first and second computers from (a mom-and-pop joint) sold it with pirated Windows. It came to a point that I was sick and tired of searching for serialz and crackz and warez for every little applicationt, that I just dumped Windows for Linux. And I have no regrets.

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:15 PM #17 of 83
I've got a rather mixed situation going on. I've purchased a copy of Windows XP Home and I have the lamenated pamphlet with serial number to prove it. However, I didn't take very good care of the CD and after awhile it started to crack and warp to the point where my PC couldn't read the thing properly so I through it out. Of course, Windows is too fucking expensive for me to buy a brand new copy, and I was bound to need to do a reformat eventually. So a few days ago I downloaded a copy of XP Pro, reformatted and installed it onto my C partition, and then realized I had a Backup file from awhile ago. I'm guessing my Windows is not the most stable thing right now (two security updates fail to install and it's having trouble identifying some hardware) but since it isn't mission critical at this point I hardly see the point in worrying about it.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:52 PM #18 of 83
Uh, for all of you that have a pirated version of XP Pro...

Do you even use the "extra" features it has over Home? I have a legal version of Home, and I can't see any need to have a "Pro" next to my OS name.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:13 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:13 PM #19 of 83
I'm running a legit version of Windows XP that I got through my school. I've tried to buy a legit version of Office for a few years now, but every time I go to the computer store they're out of stock.

Does anyone know if educational copies of Windows have a different pool of registration numbers from other versions of Windows? Like, I know our CD is different from the general one since it shows our school's logo during some steps of installation and the default wallpaper is the one that's on most of our computer lab machines (which is plastered with school stuff all over it).

Originally Posted by CelticWhisper
My PCs all run Linux, so it's a non-issue for me. My brother's PC is running a pirated version of XP, and my Mac is running a legit version of OSX 10.4.

As a Linux user, it really pisses me off that more OEMs aren't shipping OS-less PCs, and that MSFT is now getting on the case of overseas or small-time providers for doing just that. They claim that "selling blank PCs is aiding pirates" because EVERYONE who buys a PC with no OS is going to pirate windows.

Because Linux doesn't exist. Or something.

This is why I'll always build-ideological soapbox ranting aside, I'm not paying extra cash for software I'm never going to use. If they sold a packaged standalone license of XP with OEM boxes, then fine, I could resell it. But no, can't do that either.

For the times I need Windows on my laptop for software that isn't available on Lin/Mac, I use a copy of XP that I get through Illinois Tech's MSDN partnership.
How many people do you know that would buy a Dell instead of building their own custom computer and prefer to have a Linux install on it over Windows?

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:24 PM #20 of 83
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

Do you even use the "extra" features it has over Home? I have a legal version of Home, and I can't see any need to have a "Pro" next to my OS name.
I know I do

Home eliminates some of the tools that allow you to have better administration over your computer. Home only has "Simple File Sharing" (which is terrible,) while Pro has the ability to turn it off and use the Sharing and Security dialoge that Windows 2000 uses. I like the Windows 2000 sharing method, since it is a lot more customizable in sharing than Simple File Sharing.

Windows XP Pro also allows you to use the entire MMC, which gives you tons of extra administrating features that I use. One example of what I have used before is the ability to create users other than Users (or is it Power Users,) and Administrators.

It doesn't matter though pirated or not, because even my legit copy is XP Pro. Even if I was forced to buy XP, I would probably bite the extra $100 and get Pro. Home just terribly cripples my ability to administer a computer the way I want to.

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:03 PM #21 of 83
I'm running a pirated copy of Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 (non-R2). I could get a legal copy quite easily due to the fact that my school has an MSDN subscription. At the time I got my current copy of Server, I had misplaced my XP Pro CD (which is completely legitimate) but still needed to install some Windows version on the machine.

Most amazing jew boots
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:03 PM #22 of 83
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

I've used all of these features, but I don't need them at home, so I run Home (legit).

I don't see the sense in having a microsoft domain based network, nor do I run a dual processor box. I don't need to set up a bunch of extra stuff in the MMC just for myself. I have other ways of sharing than XP's options. Having non-administrator users tragically doesn't allow some things to run, so I don't have any configured. IIS is shit, so I wouldn't want to run it.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:06 PM #23 of 83
Doesen't Home also lack the ability to properly configure user accounts? Can't think of anything more idotic in modern computing.

FELIPE NO
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:06 PM #24 of 83
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
Doesen't Home also lack the ability to properly configure user accounts? Can't think of anything more idotic in modern computing.
By "properly configure," what do you mean?

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:21 PM #25 of 83
Quote:
Home eliminates some of the tools that allow you to have better administration over your computer. Home only has "Simple File Sharing" (which is terrible,) while Pro has the ability to turn it off and use the Sharing and Security dialoge that Windows 2000 uses. I like the Windows 2000 sharing method, since it is a lot more customizable in sharing than Simple File Sharing.
If by "terrible" you mean "Actually works". Other than the obvious "I can't access anything in Program Files or Windows", I've NEVER once had an issue with XP Home File Sharing. Share a Directory, people can access it, done. XP Pro, I STILL can't get public access to any of my directories - I can give full permissions to whatever group you want - Anonymous, "Everyone", etc. - and it still needs my username and password to access the share. And it's not an isolated issue - at LAN parties my Linux boxes running Samba and the XP Home people are more often than not the only ones who successfully get shares up.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Is your Windows for realz?