Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] The 2006-2007 NBA Season Discussion Thread

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 09:42 AM #26 of 358
Aww. Arenas got hurts and won't be playing in the world championships. I like how USA hasn't had to cut anyone since the initial cut from 30 as players just keep getting hurt, making Coach K's life easier. Now just one more needs to get hurt cut.

This Yahoo! article on the Eddie Johnsons fucking confused me at first, since I wasn't expecting it. Lollin' now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:21 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 03:21 PM #27 of 358
Too about about Arenas indeed. He really really wanted to play for Team USA.

He's still a part of the Olympic program so he could still be in Beijing. At least he can concentrate on doing well for the Wizards for the upcoming season.

Anyone have any idea on whats going on with Bonzi Wells? Kings offered a bit more than the midlevel and he refused it was the last I heard so Kings signed Salmons instead.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:53 PM #28 of 358
It's official, Team USA has made it's final cut, and the casualty is Bruce Bowen of the Spurs. Here's an article about it: Team USA names official roster; Bowen final cut

The team is going to miss his "defensive intensity" but I think most people saw this as the obvious cut to make.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:13 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:13 PM #29 of 358
Dang. It would've been fun to see Bruce Bowen coming in with flying side kicks on players from around the world.

Battier does offer more on the offensive end while keeping a defensive mind, so it was an easy cut IMO, though Coach K would say otherwise.

Can't wait for these games to startup. Winning with almost twice as many points as the opponents is crazy. Like the old video games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
waka waka

bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 PM #30 of 358
Originally Posted by nazpyro
Dang. It would've been fun to see Bruce Bowen coming in with flying side kicks on players from around the world.
lol! Yeah, he could have been our secret weapon.

Originally Posted by nazpyro
Battier does offer more on the offensive end while keeping a defensive mind, so it was an easy cut IMO, though Coach K would say otherwise.

Can't wait for these games to startup. Winning with almost twice as many points as the opponents is crazy. Like the old video games.
Arenas getting hurt probably sealed Bowen's fate. If he hadn't gotten injured, Team USA would have probably cut Himrich instead.

Team USA should get out of group play without any problems. China is probably the only other contender: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...ldchampsgroupd

== Around the Association ==

>> Bobcats Unveil Alternate Road Uniform
I actually like these new unis. Adding the blue was a nice touch.

>> 'Starbury' for less: Marbury to endorse cheap kicks
... I have to say I'm not really impressed with the look of this shoe. I mean, they look decent I guess, but I don't think I'd even pay $5.00 for thsoe things.

"Starbury won't be paid for endorsing the sneakers but will be compensated based on how well they sell."

hahaha! Can't wait to see some figures on those sells.

>> Shaq signs shoe deal with Chinese company Li-Ning

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2006, 01:11 PM #31 of 358
Dwyane Wade vs Dirk Nowitski again.

Does anyone know if internationally, the US was favored to win gold at the past couple World Championship and Athens?

For some reason I thought that domestically the US was favored even though they got completely thumped. Especially at the previous world's.

FELIPE NO
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 09:03 AM #32 of 358
Oops.

No gold. Again.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jin
Syklis Green

Member 383

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:15 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 06:15 AM #33 of 358
Pretty good for a team without some of their best guys. But I'm pretty sick of some our big name players not wanting to play. And good, no, great job by Greece, they actually had me jumping out my chair.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Jin; Sep 1, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 03:25 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 01:25 PM #34 of 358
<sigh>
Hopefully in two years we will have the very best of our best.

PF - Tim Duncan / Kevin Garnett
SF - Lebron James / Ron Artest
C - Shaquille O'Neal / Brad Miller
SG - Kobe Bryant / Tracy McGrady
PG - Chauncey Billups / Mike Bibby

Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul to fill out the rest.

Yes I know I'm a Kings fan but I do really believe in Ron Artest and Mike Bibby.

Ron would kill the opposing teams. litterally.

bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:19 PM #35 of 358
I have to say that the team that played in this year's FIBA tournament was a lot better than the team we had 4 years ago. They played with a lot more heart and a lot more energy and enthusiasm. However, it was still a flawed team. We don't need to have all superstars on a team to win. What we need are good shooters, more specifically, good 3-point shooters. Michael Redd needs to be on this team come the Olympics. There just aren't many American players these days that can both shoot the 3-pointer well AND play solid defense. That is something that's going to continue to hurt us.

But I'm proud of this year's team and how they played hard. I hope they figure these problems out before '08 though.

TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 03:24 PM #36 of 358
Michael Redd is an All-Star. Not a superstar but definently an All-Star. You are right that we need more defense - more players like Ben Wallace, Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen would have been nice. I guess Bowen's problem is he is getting ancient but since they didn't play Miller anyways.

Some Ray Allens, Chauncey Billupss would have been great.

Overall I am proud of the US team and it is a 3 year commitment and I'm furious that we didn't have our absolute best possible team. Winning the Olympics, even the worlds would mean more to me than the Larry O'Brien. F making Miami happy when you can win for every American.

Last edited by TonyDaTigger; Sep 1, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Korosuke
Spirit

Member 9836

Level 2.00

Jul 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 03:03 PM #37 of 358
Couldn't have any more respect for this team. I'm from LA and Lakers fan and I'm not being biased by saying Kobe and Paul Pierce (Celtics) would bring gold if it weren't for those injuries.

to the USA and efforts to bring Gold back to America.

USA 2008 Olympic Champs .

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2006, 06:50 PM #38 of 358
Didn't get to add my thoughts during the weekend, but yeah. I actually didn't expect USA to win this tournament, and it would've surprised me if they did. I didn't expect them to lose to Greece either, but that's another story. Anyway, USA is a much better team than before, and I can't wait for them to get better together and bring it next year. If they keep at it, gold in 2008 will happen.

waka waka

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:15 AM #39 of 358
The only person who shouldn't be giving lessons about chemistry:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Plus, he's wrong. The USA team didn't lose because of a lack of chemistry.

FELIPE NO
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:28 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 09:28 AM #40 of 358
Ha! What he means by "needs better chemistry" is "needs to mix in a lot of Kobe."

Most amazing jew boots
waka waka

bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 03:57 PM #41 of 358
hehe, there is so much irony in that it's not even funny. While it is true that most of the other teams in the tournament have played together for a lot longer, that is in no way the reason why they lost. I already explained the reason in an earlier post. No consistent shooters (more specifically 3-point shooters) who play defense is why they got the bronze and not the gold.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 02:41 PM #42 of 358
Originally Posted by bishop743
hehe, there is so much irony in that it's not even funny. While it is true that most of the other teams in the tournament have played together for a lot longer, that is in no way the reason why they lost. I already explained the reason in an earlier post. No consistent shooters (more specifically 3-point shooters) who play defense is why they got the bronze and not the gold.
Osnap. Yeah it is funny. Taking Kobe's statement: "need more chemistry" and the words behind that: "need more me", Kobe is right. USA does need a shooter like him. Kobe... can shoot. Arenas would've been awesome here too.

waka waka

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:31 PM #43 of 358
Are we going to do Fantasy Basketball?

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:22 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 09:22 AM #44 of 358
Wow, this thread's been dead. Fortunately, stuff is atring up soon.

Originally Posted by Ryuu
Are we going to do Fantasy Basketball?
Hell yeah, my favorite fantasy sports game (rotisserie mode). Has it ever been done on GFF before? Anyway, I'd be interested, even running it in fact. Preseason starts early October, and regular season in November. We should probably draft a week or two before the regular season begins. I'm also interested in making the draft "offline" (i.e. not using e.g. Yahoo!'s online draft), but just using something like Google Spreadsheets (just did this this year with football... SO FUN) and/or AIM chat rooms to draft (more fun and less rush).

So yeah, if there's enough interest, There's probably only been like 6 unique people that have posted in the NBA threads this year.

waka waka

TonyDaTigger
Chocobo

Member 4142

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Sep 25, 2006, 04:25 PM #45 of 358
I'd be up for a fantasy league. Always wanted to try it but not experienced in it. Any types out there that doesn't require TOO much management? I'd have a few friends who dont post on GFF who would be interested I am sure as well.

Jin
Syklis Green

Member 383

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:28 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 09:28 AM #46 of 358
The new ball for the league.

Wow.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2006, 01:46 PM Local time: Oct 4, 2006, 11:46 AM #47 of 358
Yeah. A lot of the players are complaining about it. D-Wad expects many bricks for the early part in the season. Players (especially him) will probably get more steals because of it too... oh, and turnovers. They (players) say it gets wet too easily, and it stays pretty slippery; the grip is slick. :/ Shaq said it also feels cheap. Despite it, the NBA claims its better. We'll see....

Also, Fantasy NBA Thread here. Play!

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:48 AM #48 of 358
Here's what Shaq had to say about the new ball (video included): http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2610976

And here's another one: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6026976

Quote:
Both O'Neal and Dwyane Wade griped about the ball's slick grip when wet, and two-time reigning MVP Steve Nash said the ball has a tacky feel that's making shooting and certain types of passes tricky.

"I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky," Nash said Tuesday in a conference call from the Phoenix Suns' training camp in Italy.

Of seven Heat players interviewed about the new ball at the team's media day Monday and after practice Tuesday, not one preferred it to the old leather model. Certainly not Shaq, who took a spinning jump hook in the lane, about six feet from the basket. But the ball slipped in his hand and went straight up in the air - without moving toward the hoop at all.

It was one of three times Shaq lost the handle in a span of about 15 minutes.

"I'm right with him," Heat coach Pat Riley said. "I think it's horrible. ... It really does feel like an indoor-outdoor ball. We'll see how it works. Maybe they'll learn to love it, I don't know."

I take the players' feelings about the new ball over the league's any day.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Timberwolf; Oct 5, 2006 at 10:53 AM.
teddyboy
First Filipino S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent

Member 13176

Level 1.86

Sep 2006

Old Oct 6, 2006, 07:58 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2006, 08:58 PM #49 of 358
so i see a lot of players are complaining about the new ball...imo i hope it gets changed to. if not, well, they'd have to get used to it quick, lol.

i'm also hoping that halfway into the season, kobe changes his number back. i just think it's weird and confusing...

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2006, 09:52 AM #50 of 358
Originally Posted by Jin
The new ball for the league.

Wow.
The ball looks like one of those plastic ones you win at like a carnival booth or something.

Horrible.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] The 2006-2007 NBA Season Discussion Thread