Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Doesn't anyone like GTO.

lzhouchen
Gah?

Member 2545

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 09:01 PM #1 of 43
Doesn't anyone like GTO.

And By GTO, I mean Great Teacher Onizuka, one of the top mangas in the world! (35mil sold!)
Discuss here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 05:31 AM #2 of 43
I haven't read the manga but the anime is one of my top favorite animes of all time at least. As far as i heard that the anime is different than the manga, I enjoyed all the comedy and the serious past the students have. Onizuka was the caring type even though he is the king of shonan. Every gang member fears him yet he gives a shit about school kids.

Tohru Fujisawa should make a third installment to GTO. Even though the art doesn't appeal to anyone, You gotta give him credit for actually pulling off a great school-comedy-drama based story into anime and manga. I still need to read Shonan Junai Gumi (the prequel) It always got me curious when i saw the first episode of GTO when they showed 2 scenes with Onizuka and Ryuji along with him and this other girl so im interested to know about it.

There's yet another prequel to shonan junai gumi but nothing too big. Its called Bad Company when Onizuka and Ryuji first meet.

How ya doing, buddy?
lzhouchen
Gah?

Member 2545

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:13 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 10:13 PM #3 of 43
Touru already has made a 3rd installment, and a fourth. The 'Drama' 'real life GTO' and the movie. You can catch the movie on YouTube. IMHO, I still think that the manga is the best. (tokyopop's version) but the Anime is good too. Of course the drama is more well-written and directed, it lacks many of the main characters and events, for example Urumi Kanzaki.

So I'm glad to know that there are actually MORE than one person at GFF that likes GTO. ^_^

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:21 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 12:21 PM #4 of 43
I love the manga. I've not seen the anime, and don't plan to, though. I'm sure it's a good anime, but it won't come out exactly as I've imagined it in my head, so it would be a dissapointment for me, I think.

How ya doing, buddy?
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:46 AM #5 of 43
I love GTO. live action and manga.
my friend gave me a torrent link to the LA a year or so ago. i downloaded it and then bought the manga. ^_^

i also love the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZg6kLBsxY&NR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFHPE0VOVx0

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by janus zeal; Jul 20, 2006 at 06:51 AM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:53 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 01:53 PM #6 of 43
I liked the manga and the anime, but the live action didn't do it for me. The anime is better than the manga for GTO, in my opinion, but both are excellent.

But my favourite Fujisawa Touru manga would have to be Shounen Jun'ai Gumi. It's class.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:55 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 07:55 PM #7 of 43
Izhouchen: Since you're new here, I'm going to point you to this thread:
Please Read Before Posting

Please insert a decent introduction to GTO in your first post, instead of just "discuss here". And are you going to discuss just the manga, or the whole series? Make that clear, too.

FELIPE NO
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:00 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 02:00 PM #8 of 43
I've read the manga, but I left a few volumes unfinished. It was during high school when Tokyopop haven't released the last few. And when I had this really awesome friend who actually bought manga. I then just read the last few volume summaries online, which I think I would be better off then reading scanslations, something I have now. Bah, it may be a little late for that. But in those 20 so volumes I have read, I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, that's not a good manga to read during class since there are too many "lol" jokes. Onizuka is really just an overall cool, hentai guy.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 01:04 PM #9 of 43
I really enjoyed the live action. Such a feel-good show! And apparently the guy who plays Onizuka actually married the woman who plays Fuyutsuki in real life. So romantic.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 20, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:02 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 12:02 PM #10 of 43
I've only seen about twenty episodes of the anime, but I've always been curious about the manga. I was entertained by the anime episodes I saw though and plan to finish it very soon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:45 PM #11 of 43
I heard alot of things about the manga as well. The thing with the anime is that it was rushed in the end. Tohru could've done alot with it. A continuation or a much longer final arc for it but in the end, the anime is left opened and possible to make another series.

@lzhouchen : I meant as in another anime series of GTO. after it . But if not. I really want Bad Company and Shonan Junai Gumi to be animated. I read and was very impressed with it.

edit : For those who aren't familiar with the prequels. Here is one from bad company. I think its only 1 volume and before Shonan Junai Gumi (If i remember SJG starts when Ryuji and Onizuka start their summer vacation working in a tuna boat or something ;p while bad company is when they first met.)

That girl looks just like the one from the first episode of GTO when Onizuka was talking to Nanako about how life isn't always the way you want it to be. You only catch a glimpse of it

Summary from ANN: Before Eikichi Onizuka became a legend, before Onibaku, before he became GTO, he was just a normal junior high school delinquent. Getting into fights with his seniors, trying to pick up girls and just hanging out with his friends. Bad Company is a compilation of many short stories, linked together with the characters of Eikichi, Ryuji and their school buds. Such stories involve the origins of Eikichi`s bike, which we see frequently in GTO, the first meeting with the Midnight Angel and many other.

Last edited by chato; Jul 20, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
Schandmaul
lazy bum

Member 1863

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:55 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 11:55 PM #12 of 43
I love GTO. I've read the manga, seen the anime and watched the Live Action Series. GTO is funny and it can be also really touching from time to time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Schandmaul; Jul 20, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:10 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 12:10 AM #13 of 43
GTO is an absolute blast. I've only seen the anime, but I intend to have a look at the manga at some stage.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2006, 11:06 PM #14 of 43
Great Teacher Onizuka Live Action - Best J Drama. Ever.

Originally Posted by Jdorama Synopsis on GTO - Live Action
Eiji Onizuka, a graduate from a third-grade university cum a gangster head, has always wanted to be a great teacher. An opportunity has came when a school is short of a teacher and he happens to get employed! Although his gangster status and attitude create lots of headaches for many, his warmth towards teaching gradually touchs them and gains their acceptance.
Understanding that this is primarily an anime thread, the only exposure that I have had with the GTO series is the live action series. Unfortunately I do not know how well the series sticks along with the manga or anime series for that matter, but I will point out and highlight some favorite moments from the live action and hope they correspond with the anime/manga.

Regarding the Live Action, Eikichi Onizuka, played by Takashi Sorimachi, nails the cocky and somewhat arrogant personality of the substitute homeroom teacher right on, even though I haven't had exposure to Onizuka's character beforehand.

The series itself is the sort of mix that hits you in the emotion where it hurts most. Onizuka at first comes off as a try hard playboy who can't score anything worth a job, a date, nor anything desirable. His first contact with principal makes him look like a total looser - round-house kicking Principal Uchiyamada Hiroshi in the neck.

In the live action series, Onizuka has got a lot of things to handle in his homeroom class. Everything from a schoogirl scandal, a suicidal boy, a principal whose always wanting to fire him,three very cunning and devious students who want Onizuka out for good, and last, but not least,
Spoiler:
a buyout by another school to merge it with a more prestigous school.

What's great about this series is Onizuka at first fights fire with fire. When they attack him, he strikes back. But as the series progresses, both him and his students start to mutually accept each other. It climaxes to a point where you really wish you had him as a homeroom teacher. No seriously, I was in tears at some points.

I've learned of quite a few Japanese actors through this series, namely Sorimachi Takashi, Matsushima Nanako (who stars in Ringu), Oguri Shun (Densha Otoko), and Nakao Akira (Yoshitsune). Takashi and Nanako are married in real life, as least that's what I last heard of them.

Full cast and credits may be found here on jdorama.

EDIT: Acutally, I'm lying, I did read maybe one or two chapters of the manga, up to the point where the first two students are caught by Onizuka trying to frame him for ....yeah...

- What we all do best -
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:37 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 08:37 PM #15 of 43
Having only recently watched the greatness that is Great Teacher Onizuka (yeah, I got in late fucking sue me) I must say that I only wish that more anime would have been made surrounding the series because that was some of the best shit I've ever seen in a long time. So much emotion to be had in the series, where the first half made you throw your fists in the air wondering when Onizuka would get justice, and the second half teaching you all kinds of lessons. The ending was kinda so-so, but there's literally no way to end that series without feeling disappointment because of it ending.

Definitely going to be reading the manga for this one.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:52 PM #16 of 43
Ok. Anime News Network has a description of Shonan Junai Gumi OVA.
No one touched it or licensed the damn thing. What the hell is up with that ? =/

Its 5 episodes. AND I WANT IT! o.o;

Looks pretty badass. Here is the link to other screens.

http://gureetonizuka.free.fr/galerie...um=59&offset=0

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by chato; Aug 12, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
Chairman Kaga
ALL ABOARD!

Member 592

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 07:11 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2006, 10:11 PM #17 of 43
Originally Posted by Spatula
Great Teacher Onizuka Live Action - Best J Drama. Ever.
I seconded that!

Quote:
Eikichi Onizuka, played by Takashi Sorimachi, nails the cocky and somewhat arrogant personality of the substitute homeroom teacher right on...
I regard Sorimachi Takashi's performance as Onizuka as one of the best acting performances I have seen. It's that alone that makes me want to watch the series over and over again. And of course, Tomoko! LOL Dakko LOL! When I watched the series for the first time, I was shocked how similar Sorimachi Takashi's facial expressions where to mine. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

I pray that someday, there will be DVD release with English subtitles.

lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2006, 09:19 PM #18 of 43
eh of course ppl love gto its just so damn old ppl don't talk about it like it was new

Manga > Anime > Live action
the order of which is better

saw that Shonan Junai Gumi manga at the comic bookstore i plan on picking it up just something is really holding me back on it :s

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkDraco911
Veteran Ninja

Member 426

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 07:01 PM #19 of 43
I've seen the Anime and it rules! But.....I really wanna see the Manga. ;_;

Planetenbrecher
D.

Member 702

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 05:10 AM #20 of 43
If it goes for anime and comedy, GTO is the best combination from both by far.
I never laughed so hard to any other series

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 01:19 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 11:19 AM #21 of 43
Casually bumping this thread.

In response to my earlier post:

Understanding that this is primarily an anime thread, the only exposure that I have had with the GTO series is the live action series. Unfortunately I do not know how well the series sticks along with the manga or anime series for that matter, but I will point out and highlight some favorite moments from the live action and hope they correspond with the anime/manga.
After seeing the 43 episode anime series, and currently starting on the manga, I think the anime was far more fleshed out than the condensed television series. After examining the focus of where the anime series is, I’ve found that the live action focuses more on Onizuka himself and how he’ll survive and deal with situations, namely still staying in employment with Vice Principal Uchiyamada on his tail constantly. The threat of him getting fired was more real in the live action, where as it was used for a comical side track in the anime, which Onizuka’s future employment with the Holy Forest Academy the primary topic “discussed” between him and the VP.

It’s sad to say that the live action cut out now my most favorite character, besides Onizuka, which is Suiseiseki Urumi Kanzaki. She’s calculating, brilliant, and conniving, all at the same time, with a sense of humor for good measure. I think the only complaint I have with the anime is that the ending seems too abrupt. According to Wiki, the Okinawa trip would actually mark the half way point in the full GTO plot, where as with the anime series, the ending followed 2 episodes later after the “Confessions” episode (one of my favorite episodes) and it seemed to just “hang there”. This results in quite a few characters that come later into the story which never make it into the anime. Furthermore, Kanzaki’s secret is never explicitly fully revealed (besides the fact that she went to daily “tutoring” and the teacher got so upset at being unable to provide an answer to Kanzaki’s heavy hitting questions), which also the secret reveals why she has different colored eyes. Besides that, Miyabi also goes on a “classroom terrorism” crusade later on, which is also not covered in the anime nor live action.

I think the most surprising twist is what happens to Yoshikawa and Anko, something I never really expected, as I rewatched the episode where Yoshikawa is bullied to such an extreme where he decides to kill himself – twice. So that was an awesome way to tie up that mini-sub story.

At any rate, I hear that out of the 3 prongs of the GTO story, the manga is the most fleshed out (as expected) and should give more information and details into the lives of the various students.

- What we all do best -
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 02:43 PM #22 of 43
Furthermore, Kanzaki’s secret is never explicitly fully revealed (besides the fact that she went to daily “tutoring” and the teacher got so upset at being unable to provide an answer to Kanzaki’s heavy hitting questions), which also the secret reveals why she has different colored eyes.
Spoiler:
I think that the secret, which was never fully revealed, had something to do with her possibly being a test-tube baby(thats what I suspect the most), and/or her father's potential infidelity. I think at some places in the anime, these hints were revealed.

Also, you might want to apply spoilers to your post. =)On second thought, that may not be necessary.

Last edited by packrat; Oct 24, 2006 at 03:16 PM.
darksage6790
12 cups...

Member 9978

Level 1.86

Jul 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:36 PM #23 of 43
GTO Live Action was really good... i finished the series in a week and i loved it (until there was no more to watch) i watched the anime but i dont really remember much of it and i havent read the manga yet but i plan too eventually

FELIPE NO
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:11 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 05:11 PM #24 of 43
Darksage, similarly, I was introduced to the GTO universe via the Live Action. While it's definately a good "stand alone*" series to enjoy, I find it doesn't take a good look at the micro-picture of the various students' troubles, besides Noboru's and Tomoko's, and finally Miyabi's struggles.

If anyone is interested in starting this series, I personally would recommend them to watch/read in this order:

1. GTO Live Action series
2. Live Action special
3. GTO Live Action movie
4. Anime
5. Manga.

This is my own personal preference, as you might get the gist of the issues with the live action, but the manga covers so much more, even more so than the anime.

*Stand alone meaning it doesn't require previous knowledge of the GTO story, and has its own beginning, plot, and conclusion.

Also, found some funny bloopers of the GTO Live Action.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Oct 24, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:34 PM #25 of 43
Darksage, similarly, I was introduced to the GTO universe via the Live Action. While it's definately a good "stand alone*" series to enjoy, I find it doesn't take a good look at the micro-picture of the various students' troubles, besides Noboru's and Tomoko's, and finally Miyabi's struggles.

If anyone is interested in starting this series, I personally would recommend them to watch/read in this order:

1. GTO Live Action series
2. Live Action special
3. GTO Live Action movie
4. Anime
5. Manga.

This is my own personal preference, as you might get the gist of the issues with the live action, but the manga covers so much more, even more so than the anime.

*Stand alone meaning it doesn't require previous knowledge of the GTO story, and has its own beginning, plot, and conclusion.

Also, found some funny bloopers of the GTO Live Action.

For me it was like :

1. GTO Anime
2. Live action series
3. Live action special (still needs to finish off)
4 .Shonan Junai Gumi Anime/Manga (First US vol is out now)
5. GTO Manga (never read it but all US volumes are out.)

Im between 3 and 5 but Im sure I already understood what was and wasn't covered in the anime. I just want to see the anime version of SJG >.>.

Also, keep away from the movie of GTO Live action. Not too good. o.o;

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Doesn't anyone like GTO.