Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:25 PM #1 of 608
Some stuff that was posted during the downtime...

WonderCon Exclusive Footage Description:
Spoiler:
There is some dialogue between Rose and Dahlia Gillespie. Rose says she has seen Alessa and she asks why Alessa looks exactly like her own daughter Sharon. It was hard to hear the dialogue clearly as it wasn't loud enough and I was sitting toward the back of the room.

The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it.

There was an effect where some of it splatters on the camera as it splats against the door.

EGM Interview with Christophe Gans and Akira Yamaoka:
Quote:
SILENT FILM

Konami’s Silent Hill fogs up the big screen

So you’ve be come understandable wary when it comes to big-screen adaptations of your favorite games. From Super Mario Bros. to Doom, nearly every motion picture inspired by our industry has royally stunk up the multiplex. (The continually fecal torrent of flicks like House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark by German director Uwe Boll certainly doesn’t help matters, either). But one upcoming game-to-film project actually shows promise- Sony Pictures’ Silent Hill (opening April 21). Shortly after an impressive trailer ignited positive buzz among the fan community, EGM sat down with director Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf) and composer Akira Yamaoka (director of the Silent Hill games) to discuss their fog drenched horror flick
- Shane Bettenhausen

EGM: Did the stigma of working on a videogame-based film deter you?

Christophe Gans: Of course it w as challenging, but it was impossible for me to do Silent Hill and not be serious about it. It’s much easier to adapt Doom, even if it turns out to be a disaster- as we’ve seen (recently)- then to adapt Silent Hill. If you want to adapt Silent Hill, you must be ready to face all of the complexity of the story. For a lazy director, like the one who directed Doom, Silent Hill would be too big of a piece to swallow. I dreamed of adapting this game when I first started playing the first one six years ago. I prepared for this for years, knowing that every fan in the world would wait for me with an ax. I will be sniped when I go to buy my games at my favorite store if I do a bad job. And I understand that. I’m a fan of the games myself-I admire the work of Akira and his friends, and I feel like someone who joined the group and tried to transport that amazing piece of art into a different medium. I love the fandom, and I understand these people and how tense they get when they hear, “Your favorite game is going to be adapted by some French guy.” (Laughs)

EGM: It’s impressive that you actually tackled the mythology of the games rather than creating a simpler story…was that something you intended from the project’s outset?

CG: Yes. Although, when we first decided to do Silent Hill, we wanted to base it on the second game. It was very natural, since that game is the favorite of every fan, and it’s the one with the most beautiful world, and it’s the most emotional on of all four. Ever gamer who finished the game knows what I’m talking about…it’s a very tragic and romantic game, and it’s a beautiful adaptation of the myth of Orpheus- going to hell to bring back his love, Eurydice. It was not a real Silent Hill, though; the town serves as the background to the story, but it’s not really about the mythology. So, when we decided to do the film, we realized that it was impossible to talk about Silent Hill and not talk about why this town is like that. So we realized that we had to adapt the first one.

Of course, we were facing the fact that the characters that we love so much were designed for games, and not to be played by real actors. It became readily apparent when we began to write the script and had to deal with the (main) characters, Harry Mason. We realized after two weeks in the writing process that Harry was actually motivated by feminine, almost maternal feelings. It’s not that he’s effeminate, but he’s acting like a woman. So, if we wanted to keep the character, we would have to change other aspects of him…so to be true to the character, we changed Harry into Rose. Essentially, all the people who love Silent Hill are more interested in seeing the mood and atmosphere of the games rather then if a certain character is wearing pants or a dress.

Also when we decided to adapt the characters of Cybil and Dahlia, we found it difficult, mainly because they appear only sparsely in the game. When you have to create a narrative arc for these characters, you have to work really hard to make them work on the big screen. I didn’t want to do what they did with Resident Evil: Apocalypse when they put Jill Valentine onscreen. I mean, that’s a perfect example: I love Jill Valentine…in the game, but not onscreen. I mean, I’m sorry, but just dressing a girl like her doesn’t make her the character.

EGM: Did you feel a need to clearly explain the Silent Hill mythology to the audience?

CG: It’s a delicate balance, because in the game we are basically following one character, and this character is more or less finding little clues that tell a backstory. In a film, we can change the perspective when we want. We can show what Silent Hill was like before it became a ghost town. We can show precisely what Silent Hill is like in reality- we’ve never seen that before. In the game, there are two Silent Hills: the Silent Hill of darkness and the Silent Hill of fog. But when you have to tell a story about something that happened 30 years ago in a town, and that town suddenly became like the Bermuda Triangle, you have to add two more dimensions: the reality and Silent Hill from 30 years ago. So basically, we had to deal with four dimensions, and jump between them at will. It makes the concept very exciting; it’s very compelling to juggle the story between those different incarnations of the same place.

EGM: Akria, what do you think of the additions Christophe has made to Silent Hill world?

Akira Yamaoka: After seeing the film, I think that Christophe has really expressed the core elements of Silent Hill, and he’s really kept the themes alive in this new medium. Silent Hill is not just a horror game; there is human drama rotted very deeply in the story, and I feel that he expressed that very well with the visuals, sounds, and atmosphere in the film. By watching the film, I Fell that you’ll get a clearer and deeper understanding of the world of Silent Hill, more so than by simply playing the games.

EGM: Christophe, given your fandom, have you considered directing a game?

CG: Yes, I’d like to try that one day. Because as a director who is also a gamer, I think that there are two different ways to tell a story, and sometimes it can be like a dialogue between a film and a game. I’d like to think that, like, a 40-year-old woman might enjoy the film and than realize that it’s an adaptation of a video game. Now, I don’t expect her to play the game, but for her to realize that the games are important and that they deal with human emotions, not only carnage. Most of the people have a very caricatured vision of videogamers, and actually, gamers are very intelligent.

Games are a form of art. I realized that when I played through Silent Hill. Of course, I was a big fan of (Mario creator Shigeru) Miyamoto’s work, and I consider him a true artist. Playing through The Legend of Zelda, for example, was a beautiful, poetic moment for me. Playing through Silent Hill is very serious-and adult, of course- and that was the moment that I realized that gaming would become an important medium for storytelling. The quality of immersion is very difficult to reach with cinema. And I feel that it’s extremely stupid for films like Doom to come out and reflect poorly on games.

EGM: IT doesn’t help when a critic like Roger Ebert says that games are not art…

CG: F*** him. You know, I will say to this guy that he only has to read the critiques against cinema that the beginning of the 20th century. It was seen as a degenerate version of live stage musicals. And this was a time when visionary directors like Griffith were working. That means that Ebert is wrong. It’s simple. Most people who despise a new medium are simply afraid to die, so they express their arrogance and fear like this. He will realize that he is wrong on his deathbed. Human beings are stupid, and we often become a**holes when we get old. Each time a new medium appears, I feel that it’s important to respect it, even if it appears primitive or naïve at first, simply because some people are finding value in it. If you have one guy in the world who thinks that Silent Hill or Zelda is a beautiful, poetic work, then that game means something.

EGM: How did you tackle the concept of evil in Silent Hill?

CG: Because Silent Hill comes from a part of the world where the line between good and evil is blurred more so than in the West, it’s very interesting to deal with that. Since you haven’t seen the film, I don’t want to go too deeply into that, but I will say that for me, it was interesting to define what exactly is evil in the world of today. I think it’s an important question to raise. Until five years ago, we were living in a world that was a product of the Second World War. It was very clear that we were on the good side. But many things have happened in the last few years, and now people aren’t so sure about that.

In Silent Hill, I don’t attempt to answer these questions, but I do try to illustrate them. And I think it’s one of the most important objectives of the horror genre, to ask the right questions. Horror is actually a very political genre. Silent Hill is a very disturbing game, because you’re not just alone physically, but also alone morally. That’s the world of today. Each day, we’re forced to reevaluate our own morality.

EGM: You seem so passionate about this project…do you hope to helm a sequel?

CG: OF course, I would love to come back. And of course, Silent Hill 3 is a direct continuation of the first game’s plot…I think that it would be very possible to do a sequel to this film. As I said, Silent Hill is a complete mythology, and I did what I could in two hours, but I would love to tell much more about the Red Nurse, Claudia, and the Doctor. Plus, there is a fifth dimension of Silent Hill-how it existed in the 18th century, during the Salem witch-hunts. It’s so big and so interesting, and I would love to jump back on the horse.

EGM: Akira, what has the whole Silent Hill movie project meant to you?

AY: I never dreamed in my wildest dreams that Silent Hill would ever become a feature film, so I must say that I’m extremely grateful for the chance to work on this incredible project. The approach that we took when making the games was not typical- we were heavily influenced by films, and really wanted to touch the users’ emotions. We wanted to touch their hearts deeply. That kind of emotional potential was generally reserved for other forms of art, but I think that we were able to succeed. And now, to see these filmmakers take inspiration from our game, that was a very emotional moment for me.
Winning Poster in the "Poster Contest"...

How ya doing, buddy?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:47 PM #2 of 608
Originally Posted by dagget
Holy shit. WHAT THE FUCK. Uh yeah. Rated R.
Heh, no doubt about it. At least we know what's going on in this scene now..

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:09 PM #3 of 608
Originally Posted by Hantei
By the way, was it mentioned whether that Akira Yamaoka will be composing the OST as well? I'd assume so, seeing as how he compositions from the games were used (and the fact that he's apart of the project).
Yep. An all new score too that'll mesh with the games perfectly.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:16 PM #4 of 608
Originally Posted by Jazzflight
Um. You've got your story a bit wrong here.

Jeff Danna is going to compose the soundtrack, taking influence/tracks from Yamaoka. To be clear, Akira Yamaoka is not going to be doing new work on this movie's soundtrack.
From the new EGM interview:
Quote:
EGM: How does the score for the film compare to that of the games?
AY: I didn't really want to change the style too much, I wanted the game and the film to mesh.

EGM: Any vocal tracks for the film?
AY: There may be some vocal tracks, but I don't want them to interfere with the atmosphere of the film--instrumental score provides a better balance.

EGM: What was the process like for composing the film's score?
AY: Actually, I'm just starting now--and by seeing the film I got immediate inspiration for how certain tracks would fit into the film. I'm actually really inspired after seeing Christophe's film.
I was aware of the Jeff Danna news and whatnot but it looks like Yamaoka will be producing new music while Danna will help with the timing/editing/intergrating his stuff into the movie like he was going to do before.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:37 AM #5 of 608
Originally Posted by sprouticus
I can't believe how fucking piss-poor that poster contest winner is. He literally took 2 of the stock photos, blended them together, and added a Times New Roman tagline. It's complete ass. Then again, so were most of the entries, but seriously, that one is just god-awful.
The contest was a complete waste of time, not to mention all the loopholes. I mean you could submit your entry, vote for it and then wipe your cookies and then vote for your entry again without the 24 hour time limit. Rinse and repeat.

It's no wonder the finalists were a load of crap.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:42 AM #6 of 608
Here's the WonderCon PH clip that was also shown at a Fangoria Con this weekend. The quality is shit but if you want to check it out....
http://home.wi.rr.com/rdmrdm/Movie.wmv

It's not all of the clip though and ends just as
Spoiler:
PH is about to twist and rip off the woman's skin and throw it towards Rose and Cybil as they close the church doors.

Credit to Savral at S.H.F!

Most amazing jew boots
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:00 PM #7 of 608
Originally Posted by dagget
I'll wait for someone to get it and put it on a hosting place. 4k/s is too long for me to wait for that clip. :\
Will yousendit do?

EDIT: http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...I0MFGNFY9IAEZ1

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Simo; Mar 6, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:04 PM #8 of 608
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
I don't know how the storyboard for the WonderCon clip found its way online, but it's online.

Here's a GIF of the storyboard frames. It continues past the end of the leaked clip.

I can only imagine what the rest of it looked like in motion.
It's fanmade. Somebody over at S.H.F made it based on the various descriptions of the WonderCon clip.

Here's some monster details that was posted at S.H.F courtesy of Fangoria:
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Fangoria:
The featured fiends derived from the games includes SILENT HILL 2's Red Pyramid Head, the Dark Nurses, the Armless Thing (sometimes called the Demon Patient), the Grey Children (a.k.a. the Mumblers) and of course the Boss. Gans also came up with a new beast to add to the existing world. "His name is the Janitor," he says. "And Akira Yamaoka thanked me for doing that. He is my personal addition to SILENT HILL, and he's a sick thing."

I believe we've already seen the latter creature in the trailer and it looks like this...
*Spoilers*
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5118/371gv.jpg

Finally Christophe Gans updated his production blog with some answers to a few submitted questions:
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/s...iary/index.php

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:08 AM #9 of 608
Originally Posted by striped phantom
here's another really short animated gif floating around..

Spoiler:
I think it's a back shot of PH ripping the skin off "the poor girl." you can see the two characters in the way background at the doors.
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/6...midhead7dh.gif
It's from the internet teaser and pretty much shows the finale of the WonderCon clip.

Double Post:
From Ain't It Cool News...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Simo; Mar 8, 2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:32 PM #10 of 608
Another new image courtesy of CHUD:

Last edited by Simo; Mar 8, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:24 PM #11 of 608
Originally Posted by xSummonerYUnax
What's that in the posters? They don't look familiar...
The first one is...
Spoiler:
...a new creature called "The Janitor".

Not sure on the official name for the second one but it kind of reminds me of the Insane Cancers from SH3. The last image looks like the miners from some of the earlier stills.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:33 PM #12 of 608
Originally Posted by SOLDIER

I totally support the "Janitor" design from the poster, but I do not support this, whatever it is. The appeal of SH's monsters is how they never have any distinct human features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc). This thing, on the other hand, looks more like a monster from The Suffering, or some other Rob Zombie type horror movie. It doesn't really fit for Silent Hill.
Wait, what? You support the "Janitor" design but at the same time you don't?

As for SH creatures lacking "eyes, noses and mouths", well that's not true...

Even some of SH1's creatures had full human faces including the puppet nurses and doctors. Gans isn't breaking any kind of rule or tradition, especially when Yamaoka fully approves of the design.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:00 AM #13 of 608
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
Any news on the composer issue? I'm listening to some Yamaoka right now and the thought of having someone to work on the movie's score who was involved with Resident Evil Apcalypse makes me feel nauseous. (I still need to climb a hill and bark/cry at the moon for the Castlevania movie.)
Despite previous reports Yamaoka himself said that he is working on some new material for the film in the new issue of EGM...
Quote:
EGM: How does the score for the film compare to that of the games?
AY: I didn't really want to change the style too much, I wanted the game and the film to mesh.

EGM: Any vocal tracks for the film?
AY: There may be some vocal tracks, but I don't want them to interfere with the atmosphere of the film--instrumental score provides a better balance.

EGM: What was the process like for composing the film's score?
AY: Actually, I'm just starting now--and by seeing the film I got immediate inspiration for how certain tracks would fit into the film. I'm actually really inspired after seeing Christophe's film.
From UGO..

Last edited by Simo; Mar 9, 2006 at 02:12 AM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:23 PM #14 of 608
The new Fangoria magazine on store shelves now has plenty of details on the film but one of the big pieces of information is that Konami is planning a re-release/remake of the original Silent Hill in the near future. Apparently Yamaoka and Team Silent liked the change of Harry Mason to a female lead so much that the re-release will incorporate the same change.

Other info in the mag includes Konami having already approached Gans with another one of their properties to be adapted to the big screen, Gans having agreed to do a sequel if the first film proves successful and some spoiler plot information.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Simo; Mar 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM.
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:14 AM #15 of 608
Originally Posted by Da Joker
I wonder what other property they offered to Gans. Maybe MGS, or better yet a epic dark fantasy Castlevania!
Paul W.S Anderson is working on Castlevania so it ain't that. I doubt it's MGS either since Hideo Kojima has been pretty vocal that no director, especially Dr. Boll, has been approached nor are there any plans for a feature film at this time.

FELIPE NO
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:50 PM #16 of 608
The Nurses...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:10 AM #17 of 608

I guess the official name for this is "The Gray Child"...

More here plus desktops and the like:
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/s...ll/characters/

Most amazing jew boots
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:07 AM #18 of 608
Originally Posted by Zurc
I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but the Silent Hill website is different: http://www.konami.com/silenthill/

First there was Harry's picture, now James'. What will be next, Heather's, Henry's? Silent Hill 5 character pic? God I wish so. That or a Silent Hill remake. Ç__Ç
Supposebly it's for a Silent Hill re-release packaged titled "The Silent Hill Collection" for the PS2 that'll contain Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4: The Room all in one package:

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:56 PM #19 of 608
Originally Posted by Zurc
Well, I don't think so, since Harry is on the website and The Silent Hill Collection doesn't contain the first game.
Well the contents aren't finalised either so SH1 may be packaged with the set. That or they'll skip it entirely if they're working on a SH1 remake which I'd imagine they'd try and make it conincide with the film's DVD release.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:29 PM #20 of 608
Starz On Set video. Plenty of good footage both behind the scenes and finished scenes. Some minor spoilers.
http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/9607273976.wmv

2 weeks....

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:54 AM #21 of 608
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Oh no. Don't tell me it's going to be one of those "not screened in time for reviews" movies. That almost always spells instant doom. What the hell are they thinking?
I'd imagine Gans is more concerned in finishing the film rather than screening an unfinished product to critics and the like. Besides, whatever happened to forming your own opinion rather than listening and going by somebody elses?

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:42 PM #22 of 608
New-ish clip. It's basically some of the WonderCon clip only it features something we haven't seen in either the Starz footage or the leaked WonderCon CAM recording:
http://dustfungo.com/shm/shmovie/mov...ie-Extract.avi

'Direct Feed' too so you also get to sample some of the sound design of the finished product.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:43 PM #23 of 608
Originally Posted by a_nal
I won't be looking at any of those clips (movie's less than a week away), but I am glad to hear that the opionions have been favorable.

But now I'm wondering if including the original music from the games and putting them in the movie is the greatest idea. Don't get me wrong, the music in SH 2-4 can easily pass in a film, but the problem is the songs themselves. Practically all the music in the SH series is context-sensitive to the games they were made for. The song used in the trailers, for example works great at the situation it was originally intended for (the piano melody played when you meet Angela in the hotel), but the question is whether it can work in a totally seperate story and situation.

I was all for Yamaoka's music being used, but to have the entire soundtrack consist of previous music? It almost feels like a way to save money. I would have preferred a whole new soundtrack composed by Yamaoka.
Well earlier in production Gans said they were taking 200 tracks that Yamaoka had composed for the SH series that includes not only music that was included in the games but also alot of unused tracks too. So in that regard there will be some "new" material from Yamaoka in the film while Jeff Danna has also provided some additional cues to compliment Yamaoka's tracks as well as edit Yamaoka's work for the film.

Besides, having Akira Yamaoka's music remixed to 5.1 isn't too shabby either.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie