Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:12 PM #1 of 608
Silent Hill movie

official site: http://www.welcometosilenthill.com/

trailers: http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=9348

Movie based on the game.

here's a set visit from Comingsoon.net

Quote:
On July 18, 2005, ComingSoon.net had the opportunity to pay the cast and crew of Silent Hill a visit on set in Toronto, Ontario. The city was hotter than Georgia asphalt, but the heat did nothing to diminish the spirits of producer Samuel Hadida (The Rules of Attraction) and director Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf). In fact, it seemed nothing could bring them down. The funny thing is that Hadida and Gans genuinely seem excited about the film they are making… something you don't see too much these days.

Gans is a hopelessly addicted gamer, and knows what it is like to see a crappy movie get made on the back of a great video game, and he was hell-bent to make sure that "Silent Hill" gets treated as a self-supported majestically dark film that holds true to the game's aesthetics and not go the way of dismal-beyond-imagination catastrophe that was Super Mario Bros. Judging by the set they were filming in that scorching day, there is little doubt that they achieved their goals.

The set ComingSoon.net was privileged enough to view was possibly the creepiest hospital ever designed. In fact, it looks as though instead of being a place created for caring for and healing the sick, this hospital looks as if it were used solely as a fecal matter storage facility for the last one hundred years. That by no means is to suggest that the set design looks crappy, because it was clearly a very well thought, but you don't want to tough the walls. From experience acquired from years of working as an art director in the film industry, this writer can assure you that's a pretty hard thing to achieve and it shows just how skilled Silent Hill's production designer Carol Spier (Mimic, Blade II, eXistenZ) truly is. What's more, the overall production design is reminiscent of a Rothko painting. Throughout the story, the sets --which this hospital is somewhere around the second act-- get darker and more decrepit from scene to scene as the characters go deeper into the darkness.

What could have come off as campy truly does look frightening, and in a time where suspense and horror are tag lines used to justify poorly crafted splatter flick remakes targeted at teenagers who wouldn't know sh*t from good chocolate, Silent Hill looks like it may have the vision and clarity that created films like The Changeling or The Shining.

Of course, that's a hefty thing to say when one considers that the statement is made after only a few hours of talking to the cast and crew and seeing one especially creepy scene develop. But really, faceless nurses clad in skin tight vinyl costumes slinking around in the dark as if they were marionettes being guided by a puppeteer above the set is one hell of a disturbing visual.

"Christophe has a really interesting take on the concept of the video game. And you do have a sense of what it must feel like to be stuck in this chase," says Radha Mitchell (Phone Booth), who plays Rose, a distraught mother looking for her daughter who is lost in the darkness that is Silent Hill. "Since we've been making the film, we see the vision and the script come alive. It's a very visual piece so when [reading the script] you won't necessarily understand what it is but every day has just been an assault on the senses."

One of the things that a lot of modern horror films lack is suspense. It's all about establishing characters as briefly as you can and then putting them in situations that will make you either jump or groan. Gans' idea for Silent Hill is to slowly take you down into the darkness. With each passing minute, Silent Hill is intended to make you feel like the situation is going from truly bad to incredibly hopeless. All the while he is keeping a strong focus on character's appearances and motivations to insure that they are not unlike those in the game.

"Cybil is a woman who grew up in a small town outside of Silent Hill. She's a bit of a lone wolf, in the sense that her mom died when she was thirteen and there was never really a father around." Says Laurie Holden (The Majestic, The X-Files) of her character. "It was a very religious community, so I think that because [Cybil's] mother was such a woman of faith and she passed away in a really painful way, it really scarred [her]. And she's really kind of denounced any sort of religion just because of what happened. Because of that she's been a bit of an outsider, doesn't have a lot of friends. But that's okay for Cybil because she's found her calling and that is to serve and protect. And, really, she wants to save children. She wants to be kind of like the mother of saving the children."

Much to Holden's dismay, Gans' quest for accuracy also cost the actress a little bit more. "I had hair before this movie. They chopped it all off for Cybil."

Hair wasn't the only thing done to establish character traits from the video game though. Some characters, like Dahlia Gillespie played by Deborah Unger (The Game), are an equal mixture of special effects and artistic design geared to translate what you see in the game to the silver screen.

"Dahlia's been extraordinary. To Christophe's credit, he's really captured the essence of her and then extended her into the psychological nightmare that would capture the imaginations of the gaming fans. So it was a much deeper exploration than I anticipated." Says Unger, "With Dahlia it's been an extraordinary psychological journey for me, as an actor, to embrace this walker between worlds. And, as a mad and slightly cryptic prophet, akin to obviously the essence of the game, [she] has been just a delight to play."

As a stark contrast, the character of Chris Dasilva, played by Sean Bean ("The Lord of the Rings") is very much a real world character that is "sort of a successful businessman. They live in a nice house. Things seem to be going well, apart from the child. But he's a good guy, a regular sort of guy with bit of money, wears nice clothes and drives a BMW." For those not familiar with the game, this character is married to Mitchell's Rose character, and both of them are independently looking for their daughter.

"It has the nostalgia," Mitchell reflects, "their relationship does, as is in the game in that they're sort of separating in different dimensions. And they're kind of passing each other by often in the movie. They don't actually connect. So it's kind of, I guess, like the average relationship…"

A young Canadian actress named Jodelle Ferland, who according to Mitchell is amazing to work with, plays their daughter. "She has a sort of adult concentration and patience and yet, obviously, the charming innocence of a little girl. So it's been fun playing [her] mom."

Silent Hill does still follow in the footsteps of stories already told, but at least from the perspective of Holden, unlike the remakes we've seen over the last few years, this film seems to be going in a more interesting direction.

"I think of this more as a nightmare fairytale. It is elegant and I think of this as kind of a cross between 'Alice in Wonderland' meets 'Dante's Inferno'. It's very high art and frightening and violent and sexy and elegant all at the same time. Which I think is Christophe's genius."

Going to a traditional style of story telling does mean a lot of practical sets and people in monster costumes. But being a film of the 21st century, CGI will still play a part on how the terror of Silent Hill unfolds.

"A lot of the time we're reacting to things that are not necessarily in front of us and we've got to imagine them at the same time." Says Mitchell, "So we've constantly encouraged the first AD to make loud noises for us so we can all, you know... be scared."

It is impossible to say whether the film can deliver what Gans hopes it will, but considering its solid cast and Spier's production design, chances are good we're in for one heck of a dark suspenseful ride that will give its viewers the willies. As Mitchell herself put it, "Christophe has made sort of clear decisions to make sure it's not cheesy. So there's none of that kind of, you know, action movie kind of stuff we've seen in a lot of American films. There's no inside humor in the film, like winking at the audience. If you're into horror I would say this is the movie to watch because it's elegant horror. That's my understanding of it."

Silent Hill hits theaters on April 21. Click here to watch the trailer, view photos and learn more about the anticipated film
Begin discussion again of this movie. :P

Jam it back in, in the dark.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:34 PM #2 of 608
Quote:
Spoiler:

The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it.
Holy shit. WHAT THE FUCK. Uh yeah. Rated R.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:57 PM #3 of 608
I'll wait for someone to get it and put it on a hosting place. 4k/s is too long for me to wait for that clip. :\

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:28 PM #4 of 608
Originally Posted by Simo
Perfect. Downloading now!

How ya doing, buddy?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:51 AM #5 of 608
Originally Posted by chato
my bro showed me this clip of some convention where the lucky bastards were able to see the movie.. one of them was ..

Spoiler:
where cybil and that other chick are walking up to this building(quality was soo so.. buuut.) cause of the pyramid head is going after them. as soon as they were going to enter..it appeared with an innocent girl being held by him. he ripped off her clothes then squeezed the living shit out them then it stopped from there..my only guess is he probably ripped her tits off lol. but damn u.u....this is going to be a good movie [excuse me if im typing like this >=p]

did anyone catch that clip?
yeah... that was clip that was linked on the second page of this thread. :P

and

Spoiler:
he doesn't rip her tits off, just her whole skin :P

Most amazing jew boots

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:31 AM #6 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
It's Rumble Roses. Why lie.
I'd see that other than that DoA shit.

Come on, you guys know what it is:

http://contrarnold.ytmnd.com/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:11 PM #7 of 608
If it's the one I saw during Saturday Night's Main Event, then it's the same trailer that was the first theatrical trailer (not the teaser). The one that has the silent hill music playing in during it.

After watching it, I stand corrected. New Silent Hill footage is always a good thing. <3 Thanks dood.

Also:

Silent Hill... rated R. <3 <3 <3

FELIPE NO

Last edited by dagget; Mar 22, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:32 PM #8 of 608
Originally Posted by BluencoolX
Just remembered one of the more tragic characters in the SH1 game, Lisa. Will she be in the movie? If so, I hope that mutation scene was done nicely, meaning not just focusing on the gore but also the emotional aspect... ya, that CG scene left me kinda sad.

There was a very early set shot that had Lisa sitting with her back to the camera. Well, I don't think it was confirmed it was Lisa, but pretty much assumed since she looked just about exactly like her. :P

Most amazing jew boots

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:45 AM #9 of 608
I plan on catching this next Sunday. I hardly watch movies opening night anymore and with Sunday I can always catch an afternoon matinee. (cheap ftw!~) So I'll probably stay out of this thread after Thursday to keep myself from being spoiled too much. :P

Jam it back in, in the dark.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:49 AM #10 of 608
I might see this later today depending on weather, although it's looking like a possible Sunday/Monday showing for me.

Been seeing user reviews pop up and of course as I expected, there are people at Rotten Tomatoes giving it the ol' heave ho. Sometimes I wonder if people bitch about how lame a movie is just to be "cool" and "different" and just trash popular stuff.

Also, ComingSoon.net had interviews with both Christopher Gans and Radha Mitchell about the movie:

Quote:
Maybe the name Christophe Gans won't be immediately familiar, but anyone who saw his 2002 period horror piece Brotherhood of the Wolf won't forget that experience any time soon, because it was a truly original take on the horror film.

Since then, Gans has been working on a movie version of the video game Silent Hill, something he's been wanting to make since he first played the game years before making "Brotherhood". After years of hard work and months of CG touch-ups, the movie is finally ready to be seen by avid gaming enthusiasts, and ComingSoon.net had a chance to speak to the director, speaking to us from Toronto, where he was putting the final touches to the DVD and television versions, before returning home to France after almost two years in Canada working on the movie.

ComingSoon.net: You're still up in Toronto working on this movie?
Christophe Gans: We finished the movie just exactly eight days ago, because we have a lot of special effects hoping that everything will be perfect. It's always something with special effects movies. Eight days ago, I saw the film for the first time in one piece, and it was like, "Wow!"

CS: The last time we heard from you was with "Brotherhood of the Wolf", which came out in the States four years ago. Were you working on "Silent Hill" this whole time?
Gans: Actually, I played "Silent Hill" just one year before I did "Brotherhood of the Wolf," and I was talking with my producer, also the producer of "Brotherhood of the Wolf," about the idea of adapting this game on the big screen. For a long time, I wanted to make a horror movie, but it's difficult to come up with something really original. When I played "Silent Hill 1," I had the feeling that it was actually something that I didn't see before on the big screen. It was completely original.

CS: Was it hard to get the rights to it?
Gans: Yes, it was extremely difficult, because the game is Japanese, and the Japanese people aren't always willing to make deals. Sometimes, they can wait months, and in many cases, they wait years on these games. We were chasing the rights since the beginning, and we had no answer. We were sending tons of messages, Emails, and letters and no answer. And then, the second game came, and I played it and I was blown away, and again, I asked for the rights, and no answer. I knew that Miramax was also chasing the rights, Paramount, Sam Raimi, even the company of Tom Cruise was chasing the rights, and no one got answers. So I decided maybe it was not who was asking, but the way we were asking for the rights. Basically, I did a note of intention in video. I shot myself speaking to the camera, explaining why I wanted to do so badly this game on the big screen, and it was 37 minutes. I put Japanese subtitles, and I sent it to Tokyo; two months after, we had the rights.

CS: Did your previous experience in Japan, adapting "Crying Freeman," help your position in getting this adaptation?
Gans: Yeah, I know Japanese people, and I know that for them, politeness is very important. I think that's why we got the rights, because I showed some respect, and that's what they wanted. They also didn't want to sell the rights of the game have no involvement into the project. We didn't want to see the movie be completely disrespectful to the game. They wanted to find somebody who showed some big respect, and basically, I was that person. They were happy to work with us.

CS: Obviously, the second and maybe third game came out before you started this, so did you try to incorporate them into the movie or did you stick pretty closely to the first game?
Gans: When we started to think about the adaptation, we were very attracted by the idea to adapt the second game, because that's the best of the series. In the second game, there's a problem, because the town Silent Hill is just a background. It has nothing to do with the story. We realized it was impossible to tell that story and not explain why Silent Hill is this "Twilight Zone," that bizarre zone where different dimensions can cross. So we decided to go back to the first one, because in the first game, we have the explanation of why Silent Hill became that strange zone. But of course, we decided we will adapt the first game, but taking some things from the second game, using some of the narrative element of the third game, which is a sequel of the first one. I also wanted to use the way they were moving the camera from the fourth one, so basically, I decided to tell the story of the first one, but invite as much as possible the beautiful esthetic of the three other games.

CS: So the time it took you to get the rights actually ended up being a good thing, since it gave you more stuff to work from?
Gans: Oh, absolutely. Each time you're taking some time to do something, it's for the better. At the moment when you decide to do it, I think it's important to live on the energy. This film has been done like one straight line. When we decided when it was the moment to do it. It was July 2004 when we started talking about it, and in December 2004, I came to Toronto and I started shooting in April 2005. I finished shooting in July 2005, and the movie's going to be released now. It's less than two years to just do the job, and I think that's interesting to live on the energy. Especially for a game like that, I think it was good to mature it and just think about it. When I decided to do the film, I didn't necessarily play the game again. Sometime, I was just playing a little, but I didn't try to play again, because I just wanted to make the movie with all the memories that I brought back from the game. When I showed the film the first time to the creator of the series, Akira Yamooka, he was blown away by the precision of each detail. He asked if I played the game again, and I said, "No, I didn't have to because playing your game is like going to a foreign country and bringing back so many memories about each detail." Adapting a game is not like adapting a book. When you're adapting a book, you're building your adaptation on the feeling you had while you were reading the book, but when you're adapting a game, you're talking about your own experience into a virtual world. You're talking about your memories, about life experience. It was very different.

CS: Roger Avary did some rewrites on "Crying Freeman" and he also wrote this script. Did you bring him onto the project?
Gans: Yes, because I've known Roger Avary for a long time. He's a very good friend, a very talented screenwriter, and he's also a really obsessive gamer. I think it was important to get as many gamers as we can to adapt this film, and we had three working on the script: Roger, a friend of mine who was also a director in France and also a big gamer, and myself. We were basically three screenwriters, three directors and three gamers trying to adapt "Silent Hill." Why? Because we tried to find a collective way to describe that journey in Silent Hill. For each of us, it was a different journey, even though we went to the same place, and we brought back some very precise memories about it. We tried to compare these different memories, to try to find a collective way to tell this story. When you want to do the adaptation of a game, you have to figure that each gamer has a different version of the game in his mind. It's a subjective experience, so if you want to make something which actually can satisfy these gamers, you have to find a collective way to tell this story.

CS: How much gameplay is incorporated into the movie, and what is there to offer gamers and make them want to go see a game they've played on the big screen?
Gans: "Silent Hill" is a good example of a game which is not a big gameplay experience. Basically, you have to walk or run, and you have to find clues to find your way out of the town. It's not like a game based on reflex; it's much more the feeling you have and the way you dive into the atmosphere of the game. Actually, "Silent Hill" is one of the games that you can really adapt well, because it's not only about the gameplay. I'll say that a good gameplay is one that can invite the imagination and the intelligence of the gamer. What is important in Silent Hill is that constantly you're trying to imagine what happens, and the game is constantly playing with your imagination, and a good movie can do that also. Hitchcock was working before video game existed, but when you're seeing his film and the way he's playing with the intelligence of the audience, he's doing something attractive. I don't think that cinema and game are so completely different, and I think it's stupid to think that the game is only a way to move your fingers on the joypad. I think that games are a much more noble experience than that. Of course, when you're playing a shooting game, it's only about your reflex, and I think it would be difficult to adapt a shooting game, but with "Silent Hill" is not a problem.

CS: I read that you did most of the creatures practically on the set rather than CG.
Gans: Except the bugs. It's difficult to have [people dressed like] bugs. All the creatures are on the set played by dancers. For each creature, we tried to figure a different kind of movement. Of course, we were basing the concept of the creatures on what we could see in the game. For example, one of the creatures is played by a hip-hop dancer, another one is played by a very small Japanese dancer, and another is played by the choreographer himself. We tried to invent for each creature, a different type of movement. For me, it's important because the creatures in "Silent Hill" are disturbing. You enter into a room and you have something in the middle of the room, naked and screaming, and it's so disturbing. If you want to achieve that on screen, it's impossible to go CG. It was important to have the monsters on the set, so the actors could see and play with the monster.

CS: Was this in response to "Brotherhood of the Wolf" where the monster was mostly CG and some people didn't think it looked very real?
Gans: When we did the monster of "Brotherhood of the Wolf," we were very inexperienced. It's crazy to say, but it was the first monster movie made in France, and we learned a lot from our mistakes, and I realized if you want to have something interesting, first you must have something on the set in front of the actor. You must have an actor or a dancer playing the monster, and then you must enhance it in post-production. That's basically what we did. It's true that I learned a lot about how to do a monster from the mistakes I did on "Brotherhood of the Wolf."

CS: Which was the most challenging creature to bring to life?
Gans: Ah, ha ha. I think the most challenging is the armless monster that the fans call "straightjacket." It's a guy trapped in his own skin, like in a straightjacket. We did that with a costume, and it was played by the hip hop dancer, and then in postproduction, we stretched him, we slightly changed the proportion of his legs and torso, and I think it's quite amazing to see the result on the screen. Actually, each monster was a challenge, because each monster is very different. I also like very much the nurses, they're super-buxom nurses with no faces. That was also very interesting. We used lap dancers and jazz dancers to achieve that, and it was quite difficult.

CS: I noticed that there are a lot of women in "Silent Hill." Was there something symbolic about that?
Gans: Actually, when we decided to adapt the first game, we decided to have the hero of the first game, a guy named Harry Mason, but when we put him on the paper and tried to be very close to the original character of the game, we noticed that he was almost never acting like a man, but much more like a woman. When we decided to make him a woman, we realized that all the game was filled with women. It was almost like a complete feminine world, so then we realized that it was very interesting that "Silent Hill" was dealing with such issues as motherhood, sisterhood, immaculate conception, and we realized that was a good angle to make the film. It started as a convenient thing, making the character female, but then it became the structure of the project, and we realized that "Silent Hill" was a feminine dimension.

CS: Were there any requests to try to make this a PG-13 movie?
Gans: No, no, no. I said that I'd do the film only if the movie is R-rated. If you try to make me do a PG-13 than I will not do the film, because I knew that it would be impossible to deal with PG-13, simply because of the story of the little girl who created Silent Hill. We know that this little girl had been horribly tortured, so I knew that issue would make the movie a R-rated experience.

CS: One of the big things in the news these days is how studios aren't screening genre movies for critics or journalists anymore. Do you have any thoughts about this because you spent so much time working on this, and you obviously want people to see your work?
Gans: I have to say something that maybe you don't know about me. I was a journalist myself. I was a film critic before I became a director. What's happening today is very complicated, because of the Web. In this case, we finished the film very late, but it's true that most of the studios are concerned by the fact that they can't control the information on the Web. I think that it's going to be more and more a problem in the next few years.

CS: I've talked to a few other horror directors in the last few months who are pretty upset that their movies aren't being shown to the genre journalists who might actually appreciate their work.
Gans: Simply because it's adapted from Silent Hill, it's very original. At the same time, Sony Tristar Pictures can do what they want. They have put one third of the budget, and their way to market the film is their way, and I have to respect that, and that's all. In France, just a few days ago, we have shown the film to the critics and there was no problem, and I know that today, they're showing the film to the critics in UK. It's not a problem, but simply, in America, the way to market a movie is very different from the rest of the world, and I have to respect that.

CS: Speaking of marketing, one of the things that has really been amazing is the poster, which has become a popular target for graffiti artists. Have you seen any of that?
Gans: Yeah, it's cool! I love that! The first person who was blown away by that was Jodelle Ferland, who played the little girl in the film. She went through New York and she saw all the graffiti on her face. She's ten, and for her, it was amazing. That's a movie from an interactive medium, and I think it's important to think that what we're doing exists on different media. "Silent Hill" is a multimedia creation. Today, it's a movie, but tomorrow it's going to be a cartoon, and then it will be a new game. We are working on multimedia ground and we have to play with that.

CS: If "Silent Hill" beats "Scary Movie 4" this weekend, do you think your movie will be spoofed in "Scary Movie 5"?
Gans: Oh, absolutely! I hope so. I think it's legitimate to think that if "Silent Hill" is a success, I will see some interesting parody in the next "Scary Movie." As I say, it's a multimedia experience, so why not parody? I have nothing against it, just that it's treated with respect and intelligence, that's all that we hope.

CS: Any idea what you're doing next?
Gans: I'm working on an adaptation of another game, which is very different atmosphere. It's going to be so different from "Silent Hill." (He wouldn't say which game it was, as much as I tried to coax him to tell.)

CS: But are you just writing that or will you direct it as well?
Gans: Yeah, I will have to direct it very soon. They want me to start the shoot next March, because they also want that I do the sequel of "Silent Hill" if this movie is very successful. But it's okay, I'm very happy to work.

CS: Why do you think so many other French directors have had problems breaking into Hollywood here?
Gans: It depends on the project. In the glorious days of the old Hollywood, in the '30s, there were plenty of French and German directors working very successfully in Hollywood, because they were working on good films. If you're coming with a formulaic movie, I don't think you can enjoy success, but if you're coming with something really different, I think that people will notice, especially in genre. I think that "Silent Hill" is expected, because people know that it's an original movie. I can say that simply because I have not created the original concept, so I'm something like the illustrator of this concept, but everybody knows that the concept in the game was so absolutely original that it's interesting. That's what I hope.

CS: Where do you see your place in French cinema these days?
Gans: Oh, I have no place in French cinema. I'm an outsider. I'm not working in my own language. I did one film in French, "Brotherhood of the Wolf," and I could not do another movie in France, even if that was a huge success everywhere in the world, including in France of course, it was impossible for me to build another movie after this one. I'm working in English, so that's why it's difficult for me to think that I have any place in French cinema, because for me, everything is about the language.

CS: Were you surprised by how well "Brotherhood of the Wolf" was received here in the States?
Gans: I was intrigued and at the same time, I was pleased. Basically, "Brotherhood of the Wolf" was a little like a Hong Kong film, like an exotic experience, and I understand why people are so fond of this film. I like that, because myself, I like to watch Hong Kong films and movies from India, and what I enjoy is the experience of the exoticism.

CS: I originally saw "Brotherhood" at the Ziegfield in New York on a weekday afternoon. I was in that huge theatre with less than 20 people, and it was amazing experience seeing it on that big screen.
Gans: When I'm doing a movie, I hope people will come and dive into the sound and the color. I was born in 1960, and I remember very well how it was to go to films, when you were enjoying James Bond and the latest big war movie or Western from Hollywood. Basically, the cinema must be an experience. I showed "Silent Hill" to a bunch of people five days ago, and I know that they were pretty amazed, but it was difficult for them to find the words. Some of them were pretty shocked and fascinated. I think it's important that we don't see a movie that we can rationalize after the film's finished. That's what I tried to do with "Brotherhood of the Wolf" and with "Silent Hill," and I hope that people will feel like that.
And Mitchell's:

Quote:
This Friday, TriStar Pictures brings Silent Hill to the big screen. The video game adaptation takes place in an eerie deserted community with a brooding past. Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) and her young daughter, Sharon (Jodelle Ferland), get caught up in its disturbing dark secret after arriving in town. The two cross into another dimension that sends them on a journey where they face horrific creatures in a fog of uncertainty and mystery. It becomes a frightening trip as they try to get back to the real world and the life they once knew.

The movie script was so scary that Radha Mitchell couldn't finish reading it the first time she picked it up. It didn't take her long to realize the story had already made a lasting impression on her.

She said, "The script itself was very disturbing. I started reading it and I had to put it down. It was too creepy for me to get through it at night. I picked up the script and finished it the next day. Images in the story stayed in my mind. Over the next week I would sort of have a flash of one of the monsters from the film when I was cleaning my teeth. The fact that it haunted me in that way made me know that there was something in that script that was going to affect people. It was an important story."

Another reason Mitchell decided to act in the film was because the character she plays allows the viewers to get a glimpse of the powerful bond between a mother and child. Da Silva is portrayed as a woman with a strong determination to overcome horrific circumstances she faces to save her daughter. It is an unyielding role that is respected universally.

Some of the stunts she performed in the movie were a little unnerving to the talented actress. There was one particular scene that required Mitchell to make a precarious jump to reach safety. She had to land on metal planks to keep from falling a great distance to the ground. A harness she wore provided her with a degree of safety.

"It was a huge drop below me and there was no rehearsal for that. It was kind of intimidating and exciting. I was strapped into this harness and I had to jump between the planks. You can see on my face trepidation and fear; it was real."

The cast enjoyed playing the game when not filming on the set.

"I hadn't played the game before we started shooting, but after we started shooting the film; I started playing it. We all had a copy of the game in our trailers. We'd get caught up in it and they'd be calling you to set, and you're like, 'Hang on I'm coming.' It's the kind of game that you don't want to put down once you get into it," said Mitchell.

The cast and crew of Silent Hill come from diverse backgrounds. The U.S., Australia, France, U.K., and Canada are all represented throughout the set.

Mitchell said, "I'm used to that in a lot of ways. A lot of films that you see these days are set in one place and shot in another. There are actors from different countries working on them. You learn so much about yourself and about people when you do that. In this case there were a lot of Canadian and European actors. That created a certain kind of feeling for the story. The director (Christophe Gans) is French. The mood and look of the movie is very French. It's actually quite sophisticated for this kind of film."

Mitchell just finished working on another movie called Rogue. The Greg McLean thriller is about a riverboat tour captain, Kate (Mitchell), and an American journalist (Michael Vartan) battling a giant crocodile in a desolate area in Australia. The actress had never been to that part of the continent.

She said, "I had never been to the Northern Territory which is where the movie was shot. The Northern Territory, I think, has the smallest population in the whole of Australia. I don't know exactly what the statistics are, but basically there is nobody there. We were shooting in the middle of these national parks with all these live crocodiles swimming around us. Basically, a lot of the film was shot in the boat. My job was to drive this boat around to find live crocodiles to act with. It was quite an adventure. I learned a lot about Australia. Even though I'm Australian; I'd never been there. I learned so much about Australia's history. Some of our history isn't so great. A lot of the stuff we try to ignore, but in these remote areas you see it really clearly."

There's nowhere I can't reach.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:29 AM #11 of 608
Yeah I read that one. I think the guy is a moron. Everyone's entitled to their opinion I understand, but this guy seems to be trashing the movie just because it's a game adaptation.

I don't expect oscar winning reviews, but some people seem to be dismissing this as a flop just because and not have any founding to back it up.

I just wonder what the game he's working on next is... I'm curious as hell about that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:22 AM #12 of 608
eFilmCritic's has it being a piss-poor movie. 50% (at the time I saw it) vote for worth a look and 50% vote for bad movie. He even trashes it further. I don't know why people think they have to be cool and trash shit because of it being a game movie. (He even admitted that games don't need to be put on celluoid)

Weather's clearing up some so I may go see it in a few hours at the mall, might try and find a copy of Silent Hill 4 at EB after I see the movie.

edit: LOL @ some of the reviews at Yahoo! The ones who gave it an F don't really give good backing on why they gave it an F. Especially that one fucktwit that was like "GO FUCK YOURSELF IN THE ASS RIGHT NOW IF YOU LIKED THIS PIECE OF SHIT MOVIE!!!!1111!!@@@!212121!"

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by dagget; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:20 AM #13 of 608
Is it hard for you to not troll.

The movie may be bad, but when most of the reviews I've seen shit on it don't go into why they feel it's bad or talk in all caps, credibility sort of falls down the drain.

I was speaking idiomatically.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:47 AM #14 of 608
Hrm, I dunno. With people talking about how gory this movie is, I don't know if I'll enjoy it. I've never been one for too much graphic gore in movies (I really don't like the "slasher" flicks of the late 70s early 80s that were just nothing but gore fests) so should I still watch this because of me being a huge fan of Silent Hill and most of it's justified? Or is the gore just there and not relevant to the movie? Sort of how like 13 Ghosts was just way too gory, when it didn't really need to be.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:50 PM #15 of 608
I thought Mr. Marine there was gone for good. I was wrong.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie