Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:16 AM #1 of 608
I can't believe how fucking piss-poor that poster contest winner is. He literally took 2 of the stock photos, blended them together, and added a Times New Roman tagline. It's complete ass. Then again, so were most of the entries, but seriously, that one is just god-awful.

Anyway, this movie is going to probably rock large balls. It's got the look down pat, and Pyramid Head is even scarier looking than he was in the game. When that image surfaced, I almost cried.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:56 AM #2 of 608
That's not grotesque enough for you?? I don't want to look inside your imagination

Maybe it's just that much more powerful for me because when I first saw Pyramid Head, it was the first time I was actually afraid in a video game. Not jump scares like Resident Evil, I'm talking actually afraid of something. It was a mindfuck seeing him just standing there behind that gate, motionless. I just sat there in awe of how insanely scary he was.

It's also reassuring to see that they're not doing a half-assed adaptation. Seeing P-Head looking like that gives me lots of faith in this flick.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:44 AM #3 of 608
They literally took 2 stock images, put them together, and then added their own tagline in times new roman. It's fucking disgraceful.

Now, the Stay Alive poster contest, that's a different story. Lots of great entries and the winner was also great.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:51 PM #4 of 608
My film professor does reviews for a radio show, so he gets to sneak movies on Thursday night, so hopefully that's when I'll see it :biggrin:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:00 PM #5 of 608
According to Coming-Soon.net, they're not screening it early for critics

That's always a bad sign, but I'm not giving up hope. I pray it has to do with the last minute censorship like you mentioned, but who knows. Regardless, I'm catching it early tomorrow night with my film professor, so hopefully I'll be home in ample time to tell you all how it is!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:35 PM #6 of 608
Badass. Have any examples or links?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:43 AM #7 of 608
http://www.horrorchannel.com/index.p...content&id=902

First "official" review of the movie up on The Horror Channel. 4.5 out of 5 is not too bad

So fucking pumped to see it tonight!

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:45 AM #8 of 608
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
I must warn EVERYONE who's planning on watching it that they need to understand the mythology of the town of Silent Hill to understand the movie and ESPECIALLY the ending (which, by the way, has nothing to do with the many endings of the original game). I'm a hardcore SH fan and even I had to pop the pieces back together during the amazing credits.
Yes, seriously plan on not liking it if you don't know the mythology. This movie was made for us fans, and people who haven't played SH 1 or 3 will hate it.

The people I were with absolutely hated it. They also didn't understand the mythology behind it. Me? I felt neutral about it. I was EXTREMELY impressed on many levels, and on others, disappointed. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Pros -

1. INCREDIBLE visuals. Production value is through the roof. Best production design I've seen in any horror movie, PERIOD. It is spot-on to the game, and aside from that, it just looks amazing on it's own.

2. Great soundtrack made up of previous SH music. Fits it perfectly

3. Awesome gore when it happens

4. PYRAMID HEAD!!

Cons-

1. Story is way too convoluted and very poorly delivered, even for us who know what's going on.

2. Not enough scariness.

3. Placement of creatures is too spotty

4. Not enough Pyramid Head

Overall, the atmosphere is what makes this movie work. Visually and aurally, it's unrivaled in horror. It's just as fucked up as the games, the story is just not as tight or as well-delivered. The mythology is just too much to handle in a 2 hour flick. Give me a movie based on SH 2 and we have a winner. That story could easily work in a 2 hour time frame AND be kick ass.

Still, a damn good video game adaptation none the less.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:00 AM #9 of 608
It simply doesn't deliver it as well as the game does. It does a decent job at getting it across in 2 hours, but for a story THAT deep you really need a full 10+ hour game to do it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:19 AM #10 of 608
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/f...ill_plot_b.txt

Check that out for all your SH 1 plot info.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the movie should have seriously been a game.

And also, as it flows through my head more, the character of Dahlia is much different that in the game. You'll understand when you see everything unfold.

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:02 AM #11 of 608
Too many people are saying the movie's ending is a cliffhanger, and that couldn't be further from the truth. The problem is that people simply don't understand the movie, and want more hollywood-style closure. As more reviews pile in, it just seems that people can't wrap their heads around the story, and therefore, hate it.

I'm starting to like it more and more as I think about the story and as everything settles in my brain. I'm starting to analyze a few things and have some more impressions and feedback for ya'll.

I'll put spoiler tags on these just in case people dont want to read any of it before seeing the film.

Spoiler:
- My biggest complaint, and by far the biggest disappointment for me and everyone else is that Pyramid Head is only in 2 scenes in the whole film. He does a few really cool things, and when he's on screen, it's AMAZING. However, that's it. He was over-hyped, and unfortunately, doesn't make more appearances. It's almost like he was put in JUST for fans to have orgasms, and didn't further the plot. He wasn't truly explained aside from the fact that he is just another part of Alessa's nightmare.

- As I mentioned in a previous post, the role of Dhalia is pretty much reversed. In the game, she's evil. In the movie, she's semi-good. The bad guy in this movie is Christabella, and it's her cult that wrecks shit up. I thought it was a neat little deviation from the games, but it had me confused.

- Lisa the nurse was a pretty useless cameo. It was great to see her on the big screen, but like Pyramid Head, it just seems like she was thrown in there for fans.

- The absolute worst part of this movie is how the "truth" is revealed. Rose runs down the hospital hallway into a room and is absorbed with white light. Then, we hear little Alessa say "congratulations, i will now tell you the truth." After that, it's like, 7 minutes of backstory on Silent Hill, what happened to Alessa, etc.

What I would have liked to see happen, and what I think would have been more effective and made the narrative more enjoyable, is if they had shown that in the very beginning. Just to kinda get the brain working. I think Christopher Gans forgot that this was a film and not a game. In the game, that would have worked fine, but it simply took me out of the film.

The movie felt almost too much like the game, which isn't really a bad thing. It was startling how much it felt like the game in many ways. In some ways, it translated well to the screen. In some ways, not so well.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 05:55 PM #12 of 608
Originally Posted by a_nal
Also, I aggree with Sprout's claims that the movie needed more Pyramid Head. The final act should've been him and his roaches going on a murder spree instead of the last "boss" they created for this movie.
That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. It's what I was expected. And while I didn't mind the...

Spoiler:
...barbed wire rape/massacre...

...seeing Pyramid Head wreck shit would have been much more satisfying.

That was an excellent review and I agree with pretty much everything you said. For SH fans, it's complete fan service and is a treat to watch. Others, not so much.

My guess is that the studio played a hand in the Dhalia switcheroo... If Gans is as big of a fan as he says he is, he would have kept her the way she is. The studios always have problems with really taboo stuff like that.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:53 PM #13 of 608
If there's any sequel, it should be a standalone title like SH2 was to SH1 (the games). I don't see how the ending was a cliffhanger like so many people are saying. Dumb.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:34 PM #14 of 608
Do you have a link to that interview?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:21 PM #15 of 608
Figured. Lame.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:45 AM #16 of 608
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
I do think that a great addition to the finale would have been:

Spoiler:
...the cult members who were running towards the front door to have escaped, only to meet Pyramid Head and dozens of the different armless acid-spitting monsters from before.
Agreed. Would have been much cooler that way. I was expecting that to happen and it didn't. Oh well, I was pleased either way.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:34 PM #17 of 608
Spoiler:
Alot of the complaints I heard from my professor and other friends was the Bean's character sucks for just saying "kthxbye" to the police and not continuing his search for Rose. Your idea for a rewrite would definitely satisfy their demands, Motsy.

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:48 PM #18 of 608
Originally Posted by Motsy
EDIT:This is why I really feel they should've written Christopher's segments so that HE learned the history of the town, and dropped the Dark Alessa exposition sequence. His scenes are mostly pointless filler as are.
Agreed. It would have been such a simple fix that for some reason, they didn't do. Oh well, I'll deal with it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:50 PM #19 of 608
Originally Posted by Zonix717
Hey i saw Silent hill and i was like OMG it was so good no it was great they did so good on it but there was a problem. The main person dident interact that much with the monsters. But it was still good. Ill give it a 8 out of 10.

Double Post:
O ya and you dont see PH that much in the movie so that sucked but when you do see PH it was AWSOME.

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:42 AM #20 of 608
Originally Posted by avanent
Message? When do horror movies have messages?
Horror movies always have messages, ESPECIALLY Romero zombie movies and the like. In fact, in my opinion, horror movies usually have the clearest points in any genre of films.

Originally Posted by Devo
Get recruited already.
Seconded.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie