Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:12 PM #1 of 608
Originally Posted by Simo
Yep. An all new score too that'll mesh with the games perfectly.
Um. You've got your story a bit wrong here.

Jeff Danna is going to compose the soundtrack, taking influence/tracks from Yamaoka. To be clear, Akira Yamaoka is not going to be doing new work on this movie's soundtrack.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:01 PM #2 of 608
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
I don't know how the storyboard for the WonderCon clip found its way online, but it's online.

Here's a GIF of the storyboard frames. It continues past the end of the leaked clip.

I can only imagine what the rest of it looked like in motion.
That's just some guy's drawings of what he heard the Wondercon trailer was like. He didn't see the footage.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:01 AM #3 of 608
Originally Posted by Eleo
I don't get what you mean "changed" Harry? I thought that this story could theoretically work in parallel to the video game's?
No.

No way it could.

Spoiler:
It has Dahlia and Cybil and the storyline is the first game, where the daughter is related to the girl the cult created to become their god, etc...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:20 AM #4 of 608
Originally Posted by Zephos
Oooh, that'd be awesome. Though I've actually only played "Crimson Butterfly", it scared the shit outta me. The shibido are not nice.
Are you thinking of Fatal Frame, or do you really mean Siren?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:27 PM #5 of 608
Either:

I am the reaper. (lame-ish)
I am the rebirth. (cool!)

Unfortunately, it's probably the first one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 01:24 PM #6 of 608
Originally Posted by Mobius One
Is this the same thing as The Silent Hill Experience for PSP?

http://psp.ign.com/objects/801/801059.html

It's not really a game, but a digital interactive comic book in the style of the Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel, and features a few movies and SH music. I think it uses the SH comics that have already been done, it's not a new comic.
If you read the link, you would see that it said it was a different thing than the SH Experience.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:53 PM #7 of 608
There is no way you can convince me it's a CLEAR "rebirth."

There is absolutely no -th at the end of the word, and it's hard to tell whether she says "b" or "p."

Plus, why would they put it in the trailer unless it was a standard creepy phrase like "I am the reaper." It would make sense in the story to be "rebirth," but not to the average viewer who's just seeing the trailer.

FELIPE NO
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:02 PM #8 of 608
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
Seriously, you guys are nerds. One little cliche line isn't going to ruin the movie. That 10 minute clip I just watched is excellent. I think this will be a good film.
You are correct.

That 10 minute behind-the-scenes just blew me away.

I cannot see this movie being bad in any way. Perfection. It's what Sin City did for comics.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:10 PM #9 of 608
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
10 minute behind-the-scenes? When and where was that?

I probably won't watch it though, those previews tend to give too much of the movie away. I'm just going to wait until the first reviews pop up. But let it be known, if the reviews are favorable, I'm watching this within the first day or two that it's out. This is the ONLY movie in theaters that I care about at all this year.
It's just one page back in the thread.
http://uploadfile.putfile.com/videos/9607273976.wmv

You can watch it if you've played SH1. Essentially same story.

Only addition is pretty well known by now:
Spoiler:
Sean Bean's character visits SH but can't see/hear his wife or the bad versions of the town.

How ya doing, buddy?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:35 AM #10 of 608
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lewis
The only thing Doom had going for it was The Rock. Fortunately he delivered with the line "SEMPER FI MOTHER ... FUCKER."
More like the only thing Doom had going for it was...

the FPS sequence.

If the whole movie was in 1st-person, it'd be a much better movie.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:29 AM #11 of 608
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/60421001
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Perhaps those who have played the game will understand the movie, and enjoy it. Speaking of synapses, another member of that panel discussion at Boulder was Dr. Leonard Shlain, chairman of laparoscopic surgery at California Pacific Medical Center, and an author whose book Art & Physics: Parallel Visions in Space, Time and Light makes you think that if anyone could understand "Silent Hill," he could.

Dr. Shlain made the most interesting comment on the panel. He said they took some four and five year-olds and gave them video games and asked them to figure out how to play them without instructions. Then they watched their brain activity with real-time monitors. "At first, when they were figuring out the games," he said, "the whole brain lit up. But by the time they knew how to play the games, the brain went dark, except for one little point." Walking out after "Silent Hill," I thought of that lonely pilot light, and I understood why I failed to understand the movie. My damn brain lit up too much.
*cough*whataprick*cough*

Ebert always gets hung up on one little detail or another in his negative reviews, and he forgets to actually review the film. His review is essentially "I DUNT GET IT. YOU GAMARZ ARE STUPID LOSERS."

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:16 PM #12 of 608
I saw it.

Pretty good, maybe an 8/10.

The only problem was that it fell out of the "silent hill" style at the end, it kinda lost its way. Too much standard human gore, the atmosphere was gone, it just seemed like an emo kid's sketchbook (or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez).

However, the first 2/3rds felt SO MUCH like the games, it was incredible. Gans matched the camera movements of SH1 (game) perfectly. Like how you run down the alleys in the beginning of the game and the camera follows you from on top of a building.

The characters followed clues just like you would in the game.

In essence, I don't consider it a good "movie," but as a recreation of the game, the first 2/3 were spot-on fantastic.

HERE'S SOMETHING THAT'S KINDA MEAN:

In the credits at the end, they credit ONLY Jeff Danna for the "music," while the entire soundtrack was essentially Akira Yamaoka's work. The only credit for Yamaoka was as "Executive Producer" and they list some of his individual songs at the very, very, very end of the credits.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:52 PM #13 of 608
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
He gets credit for all the pieces at the end. Stay through the whole credits.
Didn't you read what I posted?

I know, he gets credit for the individual songs. All the way at the end.

Also, I was the only person left in the theater during the second credits. At least some people (like, 5 people) stayed for the first group of credits. This is out of a crowd of 30+ people.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:10 PM #14 of 608
Originally Posted by Amanda
-everything said-
QFT.

That's exactly it. That's everything that was right/wrong with the film.

I love the details, it showed that either Gans or Avery wanted to put in a lot of cool stuff that only the fans would appreciate (exploring Brahams, keeping many of the names the same, using the same camera angles for the alleyway scenes). However, I wished they hadn't turned the cult into a cliche, muddled mess.

As you said, if they had dropped the cult story or kept with the original game's plot completely, it would have been perfect.

Still has a lot of great scenes, and if this had been a fan-made movie, it would have been KING.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by JazzFlight; Apr 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:25 PM #15 of 608
Frankly, I don't see any need or opening for a sequel.

It would come out of left field if Gans announced one.

FELIPE NO
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:44 AM #16 of 608
I do think that a great addition to the finale would have been:

Spoiler:
...the cult members who were running towards the front door to have escaped, only to meet Pyramid Head and dozens of the different armless acid-spitting monsters from before.

Basically, I felt the finale had too many humans, and no monsters. I don't consider rape tentacles/barbed wire to be a Silent Hill monster.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:17 PM #17 of 608
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
Well I can easily see a sequel with Sean Bean based on SHII, or would that not work? I'm not too familiar with the series so I'm not sure.
Wouldn't work, in terms of SH2's story.

MAJOR SPOILER FOR SH2'S WHOLE PLOT!:
James visits SH because his dead wife had written a letter to him, asking him to come. He goes there, but eventually finds out that HE killed his own wife.

Basically, she was really sick, and he was feeling tied down to her, so he put a pillow over her head and smothered her. Then his mind made up this little story that she died from the disease.

I can't see this happening, unless he gets married again or something. They could have easily worked this in if Rose actually got back home safely, but since she's in "Limbo Land," he's wifeless.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:21 PM #18 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
This is the fact that the town is a representation of oneself. The dark side is nothing but a reflection of one's own evils. The whole story about birthing Samael in the first SH and the third is just boring and stupid.
Woah, how is this a fact? Sure, it's an element of SH2, but you can't just throw out SH1 and 3's plot. It's freakin' canon.

Also, as I've said above, they'd have to create a new story with some kind of new twists if Sean Bean is going to be the main character.

It can't be based off of SH2.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:32 PM #19 of 608
Originally Posted by Motsy
SH2 (the movie) could easily rewrite SH2 (the game)'s story as
Spoiler:
Christopher getting calls/letters from Rose begging him to find her in Silent Hill and berating him for leaving her there to die alone and never caring enough to find her.
Not saying that's what I would want, but they could easily rework the story to fit that mold.
Spoiler:
The only thing is... that's not a twist. The problem with making Christopher into a James-esque character is that we already know what happened before. We saw the first film, so there's no "hidden past" that we could uncover.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie