Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:08 AM #1 of 608
Originally Posted by Simo
The contest was a complete waste of time, not to mention all the loopholes. I mean you could submit your entry, vote for it and then wipe your cookies and then vote for your entry again without the 24 hour time limit. Rinse and repeat.

It's no wonder the finalists were a load of crap.
Is that the reason? Still, Sony was suppose to sort the top 50 in house and choose the top 5. Halfway through, they changed the description of the contest to imply this was no longer the case. This one getting through is their lazy-ass fault.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by avanent; Mar 5, 2006 at 09:13 PM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:51 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:51 AM #2 of 608
ooo, that reveal spoiler button is nifty!!

I think it'll make money. It doesnt really look like a video game movie... Alot of people (whom are not into games) don't know what SH is, and thus wont instantly decide its just another VG movie... and most fans are actually supporting the movie so far.

How ya doing, buddy?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:04 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 11:04 PM #3 of 608
Originally Posted by Goggles
Yeah, the poster that won was not that bad at all, but your poster is better. And it creeps me out more compared to the one second shock effect of the winner.
Ya, it wasn't _that_ bad... but they really didn't do anything to it. Its near identical to one of the pieces of source material.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 10:21 AM #4 of 608
Originally Posted by wvlfpvp
Although that line is fucked up.
What did she say? I cant understand the last word... reborn? is that what she said??

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:44 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:44 AM #5 of 608
Originally Posted by Zurc
Well, I don't think so, since Harry is on the website and The Silent Hill Collection doesn't contain the first game.
ironic, considering the 1st one is the only one thats a bitch to find

I was speaking idiomatically.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 07:18 AM #6 of 608
the comerical snippet they're playing here is a bit different than the one online...

shes clearing saying reaper in it :/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:29 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 10:29 PM #7 of 608
Who listens to the critics? I seem to disagree with them as much as I agree with them. If it looks like a good movie, go see it. Don't let some ass clown form your opinion for you.

Oh wow, that 10 min clip is amazing. I can't watch all of it, I want to save something till I see the movie.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by avanent; Apr 8, 2006 at 08:37 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 02:16 AM #8 of 608
got mine at best buy for 10$ :P

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:09 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 08:09 AM #9 of 608
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lewis
The Blockbuster I worked at had a copy of Jacob's Ladder to rent. I recall recommending it to a few older customers (and once a teenaged punk rock couple who wanted something kind of different). I was surprised that every single one of them came back very pleased with the movie. Some even told me they would never have rented the movie otherwise.
Someone on gff a few years ago recomended the movie to me shortly after I saw donny darko. Its a great movie, and I also wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Could you spoiler that? This is the main surprise of the movie.
agreed, spoiler tags are great and should be used as needed :P

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 08:59 AM #10 of 608
Seeing it opening night with a girl, my best firend and his girl.

It seems my little brother, and a gang of his friends, are planning on seeing it opening night as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:09 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 10:09 PM #11 of 608
I'm seeing it tonight with a few people.

I saw the rotten tomatoes reviews too. I like this one in particular... makes the guy sound like an idiot.

Originally Posted by Rotten Tomatoes User
I sat down at the advanced screening of the movie, eagarly awaiting for the movie to begin. And lets just say, being a fan of the games I was excited to see how the movie would be adapted to the big screen.
Let me summerize the plot. Woman loses child. Woman goes to Silent Hill to look for child. Woman gets chased from one place to another running away from demons. Woman meets female cop. Woman and female cop do some more running... ...Rather then letting this crap of a movie just die, they set up a required sequel
Now, yes before you go on I understand that most horror movies invove people running from things. But the things in this movie our main character is running from are not even scary. The 'fiend' (as the people in the movie call it) is a shirtless man with a metal triangle over his head who carries a big sword but walks REALLY slowly and can't hit anything.
So this guy is a fan of the games? Hmm... thats intresting... intresting how he acts like he's never seen pyramid head before...

Last edited by avanent; Apr 21, 2006 at 08:12 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 10:42 PM #12 of 608
Yahoos Movies currently has average reviews listed at B. Not to shabby.

Meta Critic's average is at 8.3 of 10 right now too... not bad.

Lol, I just find it humorous that he pokes sticks at Pyramid Head like some osrt of alein entity in the movie, and yet claims to be a fan of the series. It's a great "I'm talking out of my ass" statement.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by avanent; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:07 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 05:48 AM #13 of 608
Originally Posted by LeHah
Which is the correct way to look at things. People that say Ebert "just doesn't get it" are people who don't understand film in the slightest.
So... thinking is bad?

I'm reading what you wrote, and that seems to be the overlying point. It seems your claiming if the movie won't spell it out for the general public, then it's not a good movie. What are you getting at?

It sounds like you gear yourself toward pop-culture, spoon fed, movies... which always leave me feeling I didn't get my money worth.

I'm actually fairly conscerned that the movie might suck tonight. However, any reviewer who resolves to "I won't think through this/I won't try to think through this", deserves no credibility in that review.

I was speaking idiomatically.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:18 PM #14 of 608
Just got back. Overall it was about what I expected. I expected it to be good, and good it was.

Some scenes were amazing, beyond what I had hoped for... other were below my expectations... so in sum, it kind of evens out to about where I expected. However, the better scenes leave me very impressed, depsite the lesser ones.

I don't see movies in theaters, I feel its a waist of money(8.50 here). I decided to support Silent Hill. When I handed them my money, I felt a bit reluctent and worried the movie wouldn't suffice... That feeling quickly disolved.

Gans did a great job. 9/10
although with some modifications, it could of easily been a 10.

my basic review... bit of spoilage, tried to keep it down though.
Spoiler:

the beginning was too rushed, some of the dialogue could of been better... some of the plot felt a little too forced... and some of the music could of matched a bit better. Overall though, it was great.

I wish they had used the siren-dimensional que once more prior to the church scene. It was beginning to have a psychological conditioning affect, I noticed... however, I don't feel it was quite complete... I think one more time prior to the church scene would have done it. I was hoping they'd have some of those dogs in the film, but I guess they didn't want people to think they were ripping off resident evil. I thought the janitor was going ot be a pansy... actually, he was pretty pimp.

This movie spoon fed the information. Ebert didn't get it, either he went in with a "stupid video-game movie" predisposition, was really messe dup for 4/20, or is an idiot. You can choose whichever you prefer.

I'm all for a sequal. I'd like to see it a bit more introverted, which would work great for James. Give PH a bit more liberty . And I want to see James beat a squirmer with a pipe. If they make a sequal, Avery and Gans better stay on the project. I don't trust anyone else on SH.

I take it you're not at all familiar with the movies I cited when I quoted Roger Ebert. Because El Topo is about as fucked up a movie as you can hope to find.
Correct, I'm not familiar with them. I was having to use other ques to indicate some sort of background info. Guess thats why it was confusing to me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by avanent; Apr 22, 2006 at 01:27 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:29 PM #15 of 608
Thats complete bullshit. How many people do you know who figured out Mulholland Drive? Theres 20 clues as to the plot on the inside of the DVD case - but it doesn't make it any easier.
Um... im not talking about mulhollond drive...

When I said THIS movie.. I meant the one I had been talking about the whole time, and of which the whole thread is centered around.

I guess, perhaps, your trying to deter the factor of him being an idiot... please specify if thats the case next time.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by avanent; Apr 22, 2006 at 01:38 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 01:44 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:44 PM #16 of 608
You're saying this because he said something that disagrees with you - nothing more and that shit don't float.
The plot isn't even that complicated... No, What I'm saying is that the movie s-p-e-l-l-e-d out the plot, which didn't even need to be spelled out. So why did he fail to comprehend it?

My friend, who's never even touched Silent Hill understood the whole thing, without any problems. He also felt the "let me reveal the truth" was way more info than needed to fully grasp the movie. Familiarity with the series isn't required to get the movie.

If he didn't like it thats fine... but saying "I didn't understand it, therefore it sucks", especially when it was easy to grasp as well as spelled out... Is not ok. Theres something more there, theres some other reason he didn't like the movie, that hes not sharing with us; whether or not he is aware of it. Thats what I'm saying.

Honestly, I dont assume he saw the movie under influence of any substance, and doubt he's an idiot(both of which were meant in psuedo-sarcasm)... so then the question once again... why couldn't he understand a movie with minor complexity, and then spoon fed the plot to you? Personally, I believe its that he went in with preconceived notions, and thus refused to accept a game-based movie as anything more than action.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by avanent; Apr 22, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:20 AM #17 of 608
If they followed the current character in a sequal, I think it'd doom them breaking away from them later. Go to James or whoever is in #4, then come back to the characters (if they choose to) for #3s storyline.

Or they could just mind rape anyone who doesnt know the games and decide to make Sean Bean fit James' storyline (in a 3rd movie), and effectively say the first two movies didn't happen. :P
Id find it amusing to see what the populace would do, although I don't recomend it.

Last edited by avanent; Apr 25, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:00 PM #18 of 608
Semper
Yeah, the nurses movement was crap how they vibrated like that... But when they actually started doing something, that was pretty sweet.

Message? When do horror movies have messages?

Concerning your sig... is that something a specific unit of US marines say, or did you just make it up? I'm not so fond of it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 11:38 AM #19 of 608
ya... nurse scene would be much better without the vibration movement.

Last edited by avanent; Apr 30, 2006 at 12:03 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie