Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Demashitaa! PowerPuff Girls Z

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:14 PM #1 of 31
Cool Demashitaa! PowerPuff Girls Z

Okay what the hell. I was excited about this before when it was revealed but to my surprise the new PowerPuff Girls anime actually turns out to be a lot of fun and fairly well animated. I kind of wish it had more of the visual effects that the original PowerPuff Girls show had such as trailing speed lights and explosions but the anime counterpart manages to take stereotypical magical girl material and splice it with the original's setup and humor pretty well.

Instead of being born from chemical X via some accident it's now an accident where a daifuku is accidentally dropped into chemical X to create a new chemical, chemical Z. Somehow the world climate goes wacky with Tokyo turning into a snowland along with Egypt and Venice drying up, and well you get the idea. So the son of the professor, Ken, loads up some kind of ray gun with chemical Z and blasts one of mountains of snow causing the world climate to go back to normal somehow. However, this sends tons of odd particles of chemical Z everywhere. Three normal girls end up protecting kids from getting hit by these particles and when struck get their powerpuff girl powers which causes crazy spaztastic well-animated henshin sequences. So anyway the girls who play Bubbles and Buttercup don't think too much of it except that it's odd or inconvenient. Blossom on the other hand gets a first encounter with a chimpanzee who's been struck by Chemical Z who, you guessed it, has turned into Mojojojo.

Anyway, I'd say the whole henshin sequence, Professor having a son, being located in Tokyo, having a mascot dog, magical girl setup with devices and weapons, and creation story are what separates this show from the original. There are plenty of references and old characters to the original series that make this show fun. It's almost to the point that the characters make fun of themselves. In the first episode the girls get tired out so right when Mojo is going to lay the smackdown they just zip down to the streets below and eat some ice cream. Confused, Mojo goes down and joins them. It's silly moments like this that really make the show for me and I'll be sure to watch it more in the future.

The OP and ED songs are a bit weak compared to the original series but they work.

Anyway, give it a look. If you were a fan of the original show then you should enjoy this show.

Seriously, you don't need to understand Japanese at all if you've seen the show so go ahead and click on the links below if you're at all curious.

Youtube links:
Powerpuff Girls Z episode 1
Powerpuff Girls Z episode 2-1
Powerpuff Girls Z episode 2-2
Opening
Ending

Raw torrents:
Episode 01

Fansub torrents:
Doremi-Fansubs (#Doremi @ irc.rizon.net) & Fighting Magic (#FightingMagic @ irc.rizon.net)
Episode 01
Episode 02

TV-Nihon (#TV-Nihon @ irc.zirc.org)
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03 - NEW!

Expect updates in this thread

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jul 22, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 10:13 AM #2 of 31
The fact that they're keeping the face gag with Bellem is enough for me.

How ya doing, buddy?
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 05:11 PM #3 of 31
I suppose that this now fits in with the 'Magical Girl' genre. I also dont know what beef you have with the OP/ED, they sound decent (come on single!!!!).

It seems that Doremi fansubs (w/ fightingmagic) are going to sub this, so I have a backup for whenever the shitty dub comes out I'll have something to fall back on.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 03:34 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 12:34 PM #4 of 31
I saw the trailer a few weeks ago, and I'm curious about seeing the first episode even if it's been years since I saw the original. Like you, I also felt that the opening seemed a little weak.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:41 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 03:41 AM #5 of 31
i was a sort of closet ppg fan so this was actually sort of crazy to see
the art is wtf, the plot is wtf so.. im gonna say this is right around the us version ha

the ending was actually good i want a copy and the tranforming...takes waaay too much time but hey isn't that powerpuff-y?

if im anything else im shocked and awed by it

Most amazing jew boots
Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:58 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 11:58 AM #6 of 31

They'd better use the Rowdyruff Boys well or else.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Jul 6, 2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 08:27 AM #7 of 31
Originally Posted by K_ Takahashi
I suppose that this now fits in with the 'Magical Girl' genre. I also dont know what beef you have with the OP/ED, they sound decent (come on single!!!!).
No, I don't really mind the OP/ED. In fact I find the Engrishy ED to be quite hilarious but they're weak compared to the opening and ending sequence for the original PPG show. Doesn't quite pack the same punch. It's just a comparison. I know they're completely different and as I said the OP/ED for the anime work and they're fine but it probably could have been better.

Originally Posted by K_ Takahashi
It seems that Doremi fansubs (w/ fightingmagic) are going to sub this, so I have a backup for whenever the shitty dub comes out I'll have something to fall back on.
Ah good ol' Doremi subbing interesting shows and subbing the show they're named after but I love 'em anyway.

Actually I'm quite looking forward to the dub as it stands to gain a lot if pulled off properly. I'd be real interested in seeing the original PPG VA gang getting together again and dubbing this. It could infact prove to be better in a Samurai Pizza Cats kind of way and if you've seen that show then you know exactly how awesome that would be.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jul 6, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:57 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 10:57 PM #8 of 31
by the way... is the ppg anime version would eventually kill the original version? I would like to watch this, but I would wait for people appreciation first. The original PPG is quite fun, though a bit brutal for kids.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:58 PM #9 of 31
Um, what did you say? No offense, but I didn't understand those first two sentences.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 01:10 AM #10 of 31
I meant about this anime version (PPG = Powerpuff girls) might killing the original version. I would like to watch it but I want to know how people would rate and appreciate it. did I clear myself out? ^^;

There's nowhere I can't reach.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 12:47 PM #11 of 31
Well...since the original was like canceled awhile ago. This sort of will take it's place. I find it interesting that they were born from a meat bun contaminated barel of chemical X and saving little girls that had what they inherited as their powers (a Yo-yo, bubbles, a hammer...) rather then the "suger, spice, and everything nice" thing played up in the cartoon. I wonder if they'll keep the Roudyruff boys being born from a toilet and having Mojo Jojo has their father or base how they came to be like the powerpuff girls were and not being brothers at all, but random boys.

All and all they kept some of a gags from the original, but changed alot of things. I do have to say this though, for a magical girl show, it was good...even if the reusing of the transformations got a little old....

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:59 PM #12 of 31
I'm pretty sure the daifuku that dropped into Chemical X is a sweet so that kind of plays on the whole sugar, spice, and everything nice setup. =p

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 05:07 PM #13 of 31
I watched the first episode. It has none of the original's humor, it just retains most of the original character's, uh... looks I guess. Mojo is completely different (just some comedic relief "bad" flying monkey that randomly says "mojo" at the end of his sentences instead of being evil and amusing at the same time, with his long, drawn out sentences), the talking dog is really not funny as some talking robot assistant dog, and ugh.

It's nothing like the real version. Just a Japanese magical girl show with borrowed characters.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:10 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 02:10 PM #14 of 31
This is definitely a fresher look for the PPG. It also seems like they traded a little of the action for a more comedic angle, which isn't a bad thing. That has got to be one of the longest transformations I've ever seen, very Sailor Moon-esqe.

Another thing I like about this series is the addition of actual hands and fingers to the PPG instead of the nubs they gave them in the American version.

Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:30 PM #15 of 31
It's like giving the Japanese Chiyo-chan her own show.

Too much sugar shock, I think I might have to wait for the dub for this one.

FELIPE NO
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:39 AM #16 of 31
OK, after watching the first episode I've concluded that watching either Powerpuff Girls show is equally embarrassing.

I think I'm just gonna watch this to watch other shows faster for "sanity cleansing."

Although gonna download dat soundtrack though, techno-rock ftwtf.

Originally Posted by Keym
It's nothing like the real version. Just a Japanese magical girl show with borrowed characters.

Most amazing jew boots
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 02:50 AM #17 of 31
I'm tempted to watch it just because Kitada Nana sings the opening. Love her so much.

Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 12:40 PM #18 of 31
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
O RLY?
YA RLY. I mean it's NOT FUNNY, smartass.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:47 AM #19 of 31
And I'm asking if you seriously expected it to be exactly like the American version.

Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 03:39 PM #20 of 31
Obviously not. Doesn't mean I can't expect it to have a certain degree of amusement.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 03:22 PM #21 of 31
Wow, this PowerPuff Girls Z stuff is really serious business, huh Keym? =/

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 12:39 AM #22 of 31
A PowerPuff Girl Z killed my brother.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:45 PM #23 of 31
That's very tragic. What kind of a god would allow this to happen?

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 10:12 PM #24 of 31
I just watched the first episode of this last night, and I must say that I didn't really like it that much. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original, but the changes that they made to it were a little too drastic for me. I wasn't expecting an exact clone of the original (that would have been even worse), but I was expecting them to keep a little more that what they actually did.

The main thing I didn't like was that the girls aren't sisters anymore. Since they're just three random girls from off the street, it changes the whole relationship between them, and not for the better in my opinion. If they had at least kept that part the same, I probably wouldn't have minded some of the other changes that much (like making them older). But with this core change combined with the others, it just makes the show seem a little more generic.

Even looking at this show without comparing it to the original, I still didn't like it that much. The transformation sequences were really long (hopefully they'll combine them in future episodes), most of the jokes weren't that funny to me, and the OP/ED sequences were just alright. Hopefully they can improve on some of these things, because I still think the show has a lot of potential. I'll still watch the show, as I want to give it more than just a one episode chance.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 09:19 PM #25 of 31
I think you are expecting too much from an anime that is suppose to market towards grade school level kids. Personally I think it is suppose to be generic crap, at least to us.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Demashitaa! PowerPuff Girls Z