Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Superman Returns

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:53 AM #26 of 232
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
The Academy just doesn't like Elfman very much, since they think he doesn't write his own music.
I have no clue where your jump in logic about "they think he doesn't write his own music" comes from. If they thought that, they obviously wouldn't have nominated him.

But it may explain why he heavily sucks when he doesn't have a good orchestrator. Or can the internet finally admit that Shirley Walker had more to do with why Batman is a classic score?

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
Still, while we're on the topic of composers, I'm curious what your opinion on John Ottman is, since he'll be the one actually writing the score and adapting Williams' material.
Ottman is very hit or miss. I love some of his stuff (Apt Pupil, Fantastic Four, Usual Suspects) and don't care for others (X2). I was talking to him late last year and he has a lot of worries about doing this movie because it's doubly hard - not only is it John Williams's theme but Ottman is a HUGE fan of Williams. He's very fanboyish when it comes to certain scores from the 70s and 80s.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Mar 8, 2006 at 10:00 AM.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:12 PM #27 of 232
Three Six Mafia is my rebuttal to the idea of using Oscar nominations as a gauge of a composer's worth.

I'll wait and see what the movie looks like when further details come out, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't consider the Christ figure overtures in the teaser trailer to be a good sign. Unless they're doing a funky take on the Death and Return story, which we know they're not, it suggests they're just abusing the source material for the sake of pandering to the Passion demographic.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:22 PM #28 of 232
Originally Posted by Monkey King
I don't consider the Christ figure overtures in the teaser trailer to be a good sign.
Well, let us not forget that Superman was created by two Jews.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 11:19 AM #29 of 232
For anybody that's interested, Soundtrack.net has a feature on the scoring sessions for this flick. It seems that John Williams' brother was in the studio orchestra, and John himself was invited to attend, but declined. It also notes which old themes are going to be reused.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:31 PM #30 of 232
There are a few reasons why I probably won't go see this Superman. First of all, I can understand Brian Singer wanting to take a break from X-3 and work on Logan's Run or some other film, but then he finds out that they are wanting a director for Superman and he basically says, F**k you X-3, I'm doing Superman. I don't know, it just seems like a betrayal to me, like if Peter Jackson directed the first two LOTR and then said out of the blue, You know what? Screw Frodo, I'm directing Harry Potter. It's like the same genera just a little bit of a different plot.

Also, Kim Basinger as Lois Lane? I'd still have preferred someone that was an actual brunette to play the role (I've seen pictures of her as Lois Lane, and to me, she looks like a horrible Lois Lane, no offense to anyone who is a fan of Basinger's work).

However, the person playing as Lex Luthor seems interesting. I don't know about Brandon playing Superman. It looks like they were trying really hard to find someone that looked like the kid of Dean Cain and Christopher Reeves (then again, I have only seen one or two pictures of him as Superman).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:57 PM #31 of 232
Originally Posted by Visavi
Also, Kim Basinger as Lois Lane?
Are you smoking rock? Kate Bosworth is playing Lois.

FELIPE NO
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 02:07 PM #32 of 232
The person playing Lex Luthor? I didn't think Kevin Spacey was just some random no-name. He should do a fine job, methinks. Probably the best part casted outside Rosenbaum.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 03:42 PM #33 of 232
I'm glad this was bumped up since the theatrical trailer was posted online today:
Direct Link-HD 480p

Thoughts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 04:09 PM #34 of 232
LoL, oh my god. What is this, a fan trailer. I knew it all along. Bryan Singer ruined Superman.

Most of the CG just sucked. Will you look at the Fortress of Solitude. Fortress of Plastic. Also, Kevin Spacey's acting was somehow not impressive.

Most amazing jew boots
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 03:38 PM #35 of 232
That actually looked pretty badass. BR looks to be doing a convincing job. Spacey will probably make the movie gold. Special effects looked most impressive. June can't come soon enough.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 04:51 PM #36 of 232
Wow, that looked great. I think this movie is going to be badass. Spacey as Luthor? Come on, that's unbeatable.

Tomzilla
Critically Insane

Member 2968

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 03:28 PM #37 of 232
That made my jaw drop a few times. Well, I was excited to see this movie since it was announced, but now that excitement has tripled. It's looking great so far. I can't wait for June!

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 05:36 PM #38 of 232
Originally Posted by LeHah
Are you smoking rock? Kate Bosworth is playing Lois.
Note to self: Nyquil + Posting = WTH?

Originally Posted by sprouticus
Wow, that looked great. I think this movie is going to be badass. Spacey as Luthor? Come on, that's unbeatable.
A very impressive Luthor indeed.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 05:40 PM #39 of 232
Originally Posted by Megalith
Thank god people are impressed by anything these days.
Yeah come to think of it weren't you impressed by the movie The Island?

Anyway I thought the trailer looked pretty sweet and having Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor gets an A+ in my book.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Wojo; May 2, 2006 at 05:45 PM.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 06:31 PM #40 of 232
Wow it definitly looks awesome, Brandon as Clark looks and acts so damn much like Reeves did. The action and special effects look promising, 1 more month!

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 06:59 PM #41 of 232
Originally Posted by Wojo
Yeah come to think of it weren't you impressed by the movie The Island?
OUCH.

Originally Posted by Wojo
Anyway I thought the trailer looked pretty sweet and having Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor gets an A+ in my book.
Thats the only bit of casting I wish was undone. They hire Frank Langella but have him play Perry White? If there was ever a man to play Lex Luthor, it's him!

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 07:07 PM #42 of 232
Is it just me or did the trailer have some of Ottman's score in it, in particular the first time the "March" is heard....?

Anyways I enjoyed the trailer and have high hopes for the film, even more so after watching the trailer and Coca-Cola ad.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 07:32 PM #43 of 232
Routh is a fantastic Superman... At first, I wished they had cast Tom Welling from Smallville, but he's too much of a pretty boy. He's fantastic in Smallville, but for the movie, Routh is the man.

Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 08:03 PM #44 of 232
The trailer was sick. On the whole, the special effects look awesome (the plane shots look a bit hokey, but I'm not about to make any sweeping judgments about the film based on those slight blemishes). Plus, I like Lex Luthor's character under Spacey. He's maniacal yet doesn't take himself too seriously. What Singer said about melding a more serious Luthor with just a touch of campy one was right. Anyway, I'm pumped for June 30.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 08:47 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 10:47 PM #45 of 232
It looks pretty nice visually, but I'm unmoved by it.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 02:38 PM #46 of 232
This movie is pretty much gonna great. I have faith in Routh as Clark/Supes for the character Btw, love the ending of the trailer

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."
DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 10:41 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 01:41 AM #47 of 232
The latest trailer has actually set my mind a little more at ease for some reason. I think this is mainly because I can actually see Routh pulling off a good job at taking on the role of Superman. While Reeve's shoes will be difficult to fill, from the trailer it seems Routh both sounds and looks the part.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 10:47 AM #48 of 232
The flight scenes looked incredibly nice but those were only like 3 scenes.
I'm a little confused though. Superman returns is suppose to be after the original reeves movies or is it its own thing?
The movie looks more promising that I originaly thought but I'm still not interested. I think a better louis lane could have gotten the role though ~_~

New Record!
DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 02:20 AM #49 of 232
Originally Posted by Shenlon
The flight scenes looked incredibly nice but those were only like 3 scenes.
I'm a little confused though. Superman returns is suppose to be after the original reeves movies or is it its own thing?
The movie looks more promising that I originaly thought but I'm still not interested. I think a better louis lane could have gotten the role though ~_~
It's a continuation of the Reeves movies, although I think there will be probably be quite a bit of "origin" retelling. So, yeah, officially this one is Superman V

In this movie, Superman has supposedly left earth for an unspecified period of time, and when he returns he has to rediscover his place in the new world which has learnt to manage without him.

Personally, I would have ideally preferred that they do what Batman:Begins did and start from scratch (especially since Superman III and IV were just... well... awful )... But it looks like they've put alot of work into making sure this new movie will be a solid work (and it's about time... they've travelled through a very rocky road all the way back since ~1997 or so in order to get to where they are now with this new film)... So I'm cautiously optimistic

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 11:01 AM #50 of 232
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/ima...6031801760.jpg well here is the poster, found it on IGN

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Superman Returns