Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Avatar (2009) - BZ wants your nub

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:46 PM #51 of 125
A trilogy is most likely to happen. This movie is doing really really well and he already has stories ready to work on for sequels. Another factor is that since he already has all the CG assets and equipment needed to make the next film it won't take anywhere near as long to make it.

The next movies are most likely to take place off of Pandora perhaps on other planets/moons/systems and supposedly still feature the same cast as they are very pumped to get on board again. There's also rumors of an extended director's cut of Avatar which features Earth scenes that apparently WETA had completed but Cameron cut out of release in order to keep the movie under 3 hours.

While all this excites me I am slightly disappointed because Cameron may or may not do the Battle Angel trilogy he put so much design work into. I'm hoping that filming the next two Avatar movies changes his mind and he figures out a good way to mix CG captured performance characters (ie Alita/Gally) into a mostly live action world.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:18 PM #52 of 125
Given that Battlefield Earth did a better job of tying up loose ends, there really should be a sequel.

Spoiler:
Do the Na'vi really think that Earth isn't going to send a fleet of ships to nuke them out of existence? The final conflict, with the complete disproportion of technological advancement, reminded me of Battlefield Earth (ugh), but those folks nuked their enemies so they couldn't retaliate.

Most amazing jew boots
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:38 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2009, 12:38 PM #53 of 125
We're going into sequel (and manual) territory here, so...

Canonically it takes six years to go from Earth to Pandora. So the natives will have twelve years to prepare.

I don't really see the nuking happening. RDA is a for-profit corporation, it behooves them to play nice by Earth space rules. Plus, they're on Pandora to mine their rare fuel source. Nuking it is a complete waste of resources and no stockholder will agree to that expedition.

I'd link to the official Pandorapedia, but it seems their links are broken at the moment.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:39 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2009, 11:39 PM #54 of 125
Spoiler:
Do the Na'vi really think that Earth isn't going to send a fleet of ships to nuke them out of existence? The final conflict, with the complete disproportion of technological advancement, reminded me of Battlefield Earth (ugh), but those folks nuked their enemies so they couldn't retaliate.
Spoiler:
Some of the early dialogue that sets the scene for the movie talks about how the whole thing is basically a corporate venture with mercs, and how badly it would reflect on them to kill indigenous people. Essentially it was trying to put a degree of separation between Earth and the corporation.

And presumably the corporation doesn't have access to (or reason to own) weapons of mass destruction.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:13 AM #55 of 125
Just came back after seeing it in IMAX 3D.. What can I say that already hasn't? I find it was worth the 17.50 for the ticket, and yeah... pretty fun experience

FELIPE NO

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2010, 04:58 AM #56 of 125
Yeah Cameron had plans for a trilogy if it did well and.. it's doing pretty damn insane at the box office and was well received with critics so expect it. I know he really wants to do Alita next and they even have a script and other pre-production work done already. However with the great response Avatar is getting he may change his mind and shift focus to the Avatar sequels.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:00 PM #57 of 125
Wow so Avatar has already crossed the billion mark worldwide and knocked down The Dark Knight as the 4th highest grossing film worldwide of all time in just 3 weeks. It looks like it REALLY might beat Titanic at this point. This movie is a beast and has some insanely strong legs. Made 68 million this weekend only dropping 7 million from last weekend. Sherlock is also doing well and we will most likely get a franchise out of it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:59 PM 1 1 #58 of 125
Hey, so. Unobtainium is the most retarded name for something ever.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:54 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2010, 11:54 PM #59 of 125
Yeah, that really bothered me at first. It struck me as kind of pandering, but the more I thought about the movie as a whole, the more I think he really made it to be a family film. The soundtrack, visuals and visceral impact of everything was his way of making a film with universal appeal. He wanted people of all ages that saw it to immediately understand who the major players were and what their motives were.

I mean, he could still have come up with something like "lenticulum" but it might not be as transparent to youngsters.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:15 AM #60 of 125
Unobtainium is actually a term that's used jokingly in engineering to describe materials that are either rare and impossible to find, or flat-out non-existant. Cameron's cheeky use of it is pretty clever but it comes across poorly in the film. It's like they KNOW it's a ridiculous name so they play it off that way.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:46 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2010, 07:46 AM #61 of 125
I know Unobtanium has been used in other movies as well. I think the machine they used in The Core was supposed to have been made out of it.

(I'm actually surprised Bender wasn't made out of Unobtainum at some point.)

quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:59 AM #62 of 125
In the original script (I don't have the link on me) unobtanium had a legitimate name, but was coined unobtanium because it was a pain to get. The name stuck.

I agree though, in the movie it just came off as somewhat ridiculous.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:20 AM 1 #63 of 125
Script can be found here with Unobtainium intact, for anyone interested. This is the version being passed around for the Academy to read, so I'm sure it's the final draft:

http://www.foxscreenings.com/media/p...eronAVATAR.pdf

FELIPE NO
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2010, 04:38 PM #64 of 125
Here's the original scriptment to which I was referring: Avatar Scriptment by James Cameron

Summary of changes here: PROJECT 880: THE AVATAR THAT ALMOST WAS

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:20 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2010, 01:20 PM #65 of 125
I kinda thought unobtanium wasn't the real name in the movie, but just something all the workers called it for the heck of it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:51 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2010, 05:51 PM #66 of 125
Here's the original scriptment to which I was referring: Avatar Scriptment by James Cameron

Summary of changes here: PROJECT 880: THE AVATAR THAT ALMOST WAS
I can honestly that sounds like a much better movie. When I said that I felt the film was dumbed down to make it more accessible to its PG-13 audience, it was changes like these that reflect it.

The spectacle wasn't taken out of the film...just the interesting parts. Like seeing Earth in the shitter, and implying that the Avatars they are piloting are actually conscious. More horrifying, but interesting. Doesn't have to be arty to be a bit less generic than the final script was.

Oh welly. Plus:

Quote:
There are dozens more species in Project 880, some of which are truly weird. The slinger throws its head at enemies; the head is actually its young
That would have been for some entertaining cinema methinks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:25 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2010, 02:25 PM #67 of 125
It's on the same level as literary great J.K. Rowling naming the character she shockingly reveals to be a werewolf three-quarters of the way through the book "Remus Lupin".

"Alright, like, so this stuff, it's like an element that's hard-to-get. Hard-to-get, hmm... almost like it's unobtaina- Hold on. I've got it."
- James Cameron, 2009

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:12 AM #68 of 125
I'm reasonably sure it's a knowing nod to the engineering term rather than a really unoriginal stab at a name of something.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:23 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 12:23 PM #69 of 125
Doesn't really change my opinion of the inanity of the movie.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:06 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 10:06 PM #70 of 125
Unobtainium is actually a term that's used jokingly in engineering to describe materials that are either rare and impossible to find, or flat-out non-existant. Cameron's cheeky use of it is pretty clever but it comes across poorly in the film. It's like they KNOW it's a ridiculous name so they play it off that way.
I only just read the thread and was going to post this if nobody else had. It's used jokingly in all sorts of contexts to describe that kind of material, often with the properties required for an exotic invention which don't exist in any genuine material.

TV Tropes uses it along with the terms "Phlebotinum" and "Narrativium" to characterise the phoney science often used in film and television scripts. It's the fake science version of "A Wizard Did It"

Unobtainium - Television Tropes & Idioms

So I don't know what to make of the use of it in Avatar, since usually a scriptwriter is expected to come up with his own term for unobtanium (see: Naquadah, Dilithium...) rather than just use the generic name.

Worm
:furious proofreading noises:

Member 11262

Level 15.40

Aug 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:25 PM #71 of 125
Okay, so the scriptment says stuff about superconductivity at room temperature and whatever, but, I mean, it's not like the fantastic properties of unobtanium were used as a plot device, like in The Core. It could have been called Space Gold or Astro Oil or whatever and nothing would change; all that mattered was its monetary value.

I see that the scriptment's in-universe explanation of the term is that it started as a joke name and stuck, which is plausible, though not terribly clever.

EDIT: whoops quazi already said that

FELIPE NO
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:36 PM #72 of 125
Well, floating mountains make more sense when you know that superconductors float in magnetic fields. So with a big magnetic field and lotsa unobtainium, the floating mountains aren't quite as absurd.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:20 PM Local time: Jan 21, 2010, 10:20 AM #73 of 125
How about them waterfalls

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:27 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2010, 06:27 PM #74 of 125
It's like they're cascading right into my fucking face!

How ya doing, buddy?
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:29 PM #75 of 125
Really rainy there.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Avatar (2009) - BZ wants your nub