Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Star Trek (2009)

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:53 PM #26 of 151
Quote:
I always felt that star trek is more of a cerebral experience relative to some of the other more action oriented Science Fiction films.
The problem with Star Trek movies is that they've never once been like the shows which were popular.

Star Trek 2 is popular for, what, blowing shit up and having some early cross-pollenation between movie and show. Meanwhile, TOS had entire episodes devoted to allegory about Vietnam and TNG was doing episodes about acceptance of homosexuality.

First Contact? Blowing shit up. Undiscovered Country? A Scooby-Doo episode.

I mean, they're fun and I love watching them - but "cerebral experience"? Oy gevalt!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:05 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 01:05 PM #27 of 151
Undiscovered Country? A Scooby-Doo episode.
Jinkies gang, we found ourselves a clue God!

Oh wait, wrong movie

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 05:29 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 03:29 PM #28 of 151
Hmm, I'm guessing Trek is enjoyable -100% of the time, but somehow mandatory for you, LeHah. Am I close? It's like Math and Sciences, but Television, for those who don't like those subjects.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:01 PM #30 of 151
This will probably sound dumb to LeHah some but the HD trailer improves my opinion of the movie somewhat. I still want to see more character development, but apparently (from reading about the movie online) some of my fears about the story between Spock and Kirk will be assuaged.

Most amazing jew boots

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:25 PM #31 of 151
This will probably sound dumb to LeHah some but the HD trailer improves my opinion of the movie somewhat.
So, Kirk was an accomplished hotrodder in his youth, huh? Funny how he forgot by the time he visited the Iotians in TOS's "A Piece Of The Action", but I guess driving a car's not like riding a bike...

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 08:33 PM 5 #32 of 151
Logical disconnect discovered in Star Trek

film at 11

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:02 PM #33 of 151
Pang makes a snide comment that adds nothing to the thread and only further bolsters the idea he lacks a personality

See page 16, after the middle school sports scores.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:06 PM 4 #34 of 151
Page 16? Well, I can't knock KIRK'S ORIGIN LADEN WITH INCONSISTENCIES off the front page, I guess.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:07 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 08:07 PM 2 #35 of 151
LeHah attempts a comeback.

This event recieved no media attention.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:10 PM #36 of 151
Page 16? Well, I can't knock KIRK'S ORIGIN LADEN WITH INCONSISTENCIES off the front page, I guess.
The joke isn't that Star Trek has no continuity issues - since the joke has always been how convoluted the franchise is.

The joke is that - for someone who supposedly loved and grew up on the original series - JJ Abrams and his script continuity department didn't do their homework at all.

LeHah attempts a comeback.

This event recieved no media attention.
Except you just said it happened... so, what?

How ya doing, buddy?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:55 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2008, 02:55 PM #37 of 151
The joke is that - for someone who supposedly loved and grew up on the original series - JJ Abrams and his script continuity department didn't do their homework at all.
They probably did, and even if they didn't, they just don't care. And I'm thankful. The Trek "universe" has needed a redo for a long time anyway, much like any franchise that over extends itself in time. The original story and series are good, very entertaining and overall just good creative TV. Over the years and various Trek movies/TV series, the original characters and universe have evolved and not necessarily for the better.

I'm excited about Trek born anew. We'll see if it's worth anything, but over all, it's about damn time they started over. The Trek universe is tired, very tired. Much like Marvel and DC rebirth their comic universes (albeit poorly at times), it's healthier for the franchise, healthier for story-telling, and it's a fresh take for fans.

I myself am not a Trek whore, but I've enjoyed it over the years. The original series when I was a boy, the movies when I was a bit older, TNG as a teen... DS9 while some swear by it, lacked a certain momentum that earlier stuff had. Same with Voyager. Unfortunately, I never saw Enterprise, but I'm guessing I would have liked it. The overall developing Trek universe has been fun and entertaining, but it's layered complexity is too much anymore. The simplicity, mystery, and adventure of the originals is completely lost.

I don't have an educated opinion on Abrams or any of the creators of this movie, but I'm certainly glad someone is attempting to restart this intriguing franchise/story as Trek still has potential to excellently entertain for years to come.

I was speaking idiomatically.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:06 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2008, 06:06 AM #38 of 151
Since it's a JJ Abrams film, the movie will only show the Enterprise as a silhouette, the trailer was actually a flashback, and the movie is shot in first person view.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:07 PM 1 #39 of 151
I don't have an educated opinion on Abrams or any of the creators of this movie, but I'm certainly glad someone is attempting to restart this intriguing franchise/story as Trek still has potential to excellently entertain for years to come.
So your entire post was "I like some things except the things that I don't like, which I'll ignore."

Ladies and Gentlemen of GFF - your common Star Trek internet person.

FELIPE NO
tebian
Radio DJ

Member 32219

Level 3.41

Nov 2008

Old Dec 2, 2008, 07:56 AM #40 of 151
Being that I watch the original shows when I was a kid and have every since. I have just on thing to say ...

WHO CARES ITS STAR TREK \ @.@ /

i love it period

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:00 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 01:00 PM #41 of 151
Yeah, but you're not allowed to enjoy it

The curvature of Spock's ears is all wrong

And there are some scratches on the Enterprise which shouldn't be there

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 07:50 PM #42 of 151
So the movie's been premiered and the reviews are starting to come in. The word is good so far, character development being the main point of praise. I'll be going this weekend...who else is excited?

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 10:01 PM 1 3 #43 of 151
Has it leaked yet?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 10:02 PM #44 of 151
<Mo0vereaction>Just pay for a motherfucking ticket, for christ's sake.</Mo0vereaction>

How ya doing, buddy?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2009, 10:34 PM #45 of 151
He just wants it to make slash pictures from screencaps.

Kirk/Harold HOTTTTT

I was speaking idiomatically.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 03:20 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 09:20 AM #46 of 151
However, I *have* always wanted to get into the Trek series of films and TV. Where would be a good place to start with doing that?
Any series can serve as a starting point. You can either watch the original series from way back when or start with any of the subsequent series. I'd probably recommend you start with The Next Generation though. If only because during the latter seasons, they start to develop a story arc that continues to some extent throughout whatever came afterwards. Political events in the furthest reaches of known space effectively set up all that is to follow. You don't need to know the backstory to watch Voyager, for example... it just adds colour.

Wouldn't recommend starting with the films. They assume a great deal of prior knowledge about the characters and situations. If you want to start with the original series, then you'll probably get a more historical perspective on the events which follow... but many episodes are a bit weak. Mind you, the same could be said for the first couple of seasons of any other Star Trek. It seems to take these series about two seasons to really hit stride. I wouldn't skip the early episodes of any series because they establish the characters, but be prepared for some weak episodes.

If you do watch some of the films, skip the first and fifth. I can honestly say that I wouldn't subject anyone to those, even an enemy.

The most recent series, Enterprise, is a prequel to the whole saga. The others follow on the chronology in approximately broadcast order. It blows chunks. Don't watch, unless you feel like punishing yourself.

With regards to the trailer... it looks like a Michael Bay movie. Fuck that noise.

Additional Spam:
Start with the first show and just work your way up. Be sure to ignore the internet along the way - Enterprise is excellent and DS9 is a brilliant back-hand commentary toward Roddenberry's idea of utopia.
Wait, what? I totally agree with your assessment of DS9, but Enterprise is supposed to be excellent now? I ditched it... I think before the season finalé. I'm asking you honestly, no bullshit.... did it improve a ton and a half suddenly in season 2? It would have to!

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Soluzar; May 5, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 07:35 AM #47 of 151
Enterprise is supposed to be excellent now? I ditched it... I think before the season finalé.
People are retarded about Enterprise because they don't understand the premise. They think its just a ham-fisted ST show that attempts to prequel the ST universe.

No. Thats the way idiots think. Its The Right Stuff with Star Trek. It also features more than one clever episode - like the First Contact backstory and the series finale is probably the most clever of all the ST endings. (It uses the same literary device as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein)

FELIPE NO
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 08:14 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 02:14 PM #48 of 151
People are retarded about Enterprise because they don't understand the premise. They think its just a ham-fisted ST show that attempts to prequel the ST universe.
Honestly I just thought the acting was below feeble in some cases, and it put me right off. The premise worked for me, it really did. Just not the execution.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 08:23 AM #49 of 151
Honestly I just thought the acting was below feeble in some cases
I'm sure the internet follows your gold standard of good and bad.

This would explain why Sturgeon’s Revelation applies so well to people and posts found on the internet.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2009, 08:25 AM Local time: May 5, 2009, 02:25 PM #50 of 151
I'm sure the internet follows your gold standard of good and bad.
Hey I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I can't really call the performances of most of the cast good by my own standards.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Star Trek (2009)