Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do you tip?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:18 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 03:18 PM #76 of 127
You caaaraaazy American's and your tips, you'd be completely fucked down here! Tips consist of 'keep the change!' when the bill comes to something like $98 and they leave a $100 note.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:29 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2008, 10:29 PM #77 of 127
Er, what? One would hope that the restaurant employed enough staff so that everyone eating can get their food in a reasonable amount of food when the place is full. Serving a bunch of people at once isn't some act of heroics, it's what he's paid to do. I think tipping extra because a place is busy is pretty retarded really, it's like you're assuming that the normal state for a restaurant is half empty, in which case, if the waiters aren't busy then the owner is employing too many people.
I agree, but we were a party of around 20-24 ppl, taking up at least 2-3 tables each in the 3 sections we were being split up into. Considering all were college students, with at least 2 people sharing appetizer entrees that are only like $8 each, when you compare that to normal customers who would come in as a party of 4, take 1 table, and each order an entree of at least $15 each with drinks, appetizers and possibly even desserts, that makes a difference in their sales share.

I just wanted to make sure the hospitality of our server, his very reasonable manager(s), and the kitchen staff was well rewarded. I don't think what I did was absurd. The restaurant pretty much sacrificed 5-6 tables they could have used to serve customers that would have ordered alcohol, a full-price entree, and possibly appetizers and desserts, so given that their sales could have been impacted by our huge party, I would think that leaving down a couple extra Jacksons would not be too crazy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 06:10 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 04:10 AM #78 of 127
Why not just buy more food?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:06 AM #79 of 127
Lastly, I was pretty sure that with a party over 8 (depending on where you go), gratuity is included in your bill as a separate line item. Sure, it's proper to tip over that, but you're not getting 20% in the check AND another 20% unlisted tip.
Funny thing about that. One of my friend's worked at Bennigans and they wouldn't let any of their servers gratuitize parties of black people because they were worried they would think it's a racist thing. Even though it's the law they wouldn't let them do it and around here black people are notorious for not leaving a tip. So yeah, they'd serve a party of like 8-10 people and get no tip.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Out thought and out fought."
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:09 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 09:09 PM #80 of 127
My mom once attempted to get a server in Chengdu to "keep the change". Poor guy looked terrified. Maybe we need to go to posher restaurants.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:41 AM #81 of 127
My mom once attempted to get a server in Chengdu to "keep the change". Poor guy looked terrified. Maybe we need to go to posher restaurants.
Well, in China you almost never tip. I am trying very, very hard to think of one time I tipped in China. And this wasn't me being a cheapskate...they just don't do it. I remember one time going back last year I went to my hotel, only to find out they overbooked. They then moved me to another hotel, gave me fruit, and begged forgiveness. And they were long gone before I could even think of tipping them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:44 AM #82 of 127
17. I also want to add...why do people think that it's okay to walk into a restaurant and eat when it's 15 minutes before closing???? FYI...there's a lot of stuff to be done after hours, i.e. cleaning up and Stuff like that! So if it is vacuuming and shit like that you don't want to hear when having a decent meal...then don't show up 15 minutes before closing time! Not only are you holding up your server from leaving the damn place, but you are also pissing off the individual who's cooking your damn meal...remember that!
Yeah, I'm pretty much with Sass on her sentiment--regardless if how much it INCONVENIENCES the staff to work their restaurants advertised hours, the servers should do it with the same courtesy and respect they would give someone who waltzed in at 3 in the afternoon.

Same goes for the cook, too. Yes, like, I know it's late and everybody wants to go home and there's all this other shit in the restaurant that needs to get done before you can close officially, but that is really no reason to be STINGY on the quality of the food OR to fuck with the customers meal or whatever. Nobody likes the last minute customer, but since you are essentially a slave to the store hours, just do your fucking job and do it without being a colossal dick.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:53 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 09:53 AM #83 of 127
The reason it matters is because your food is going to take more than fifteen minutes to make. You are going to take more than fifteen minutes to eat. This is more directed to the people that come in fifteen minutes before we close and don't leave until a half an hour to an hour after we close. We can't kick you out. We can't even mentioned that we've closed because it's against policy. If you're gone before we close or just two minutes, that's not too bad and we don't really mind, especially if you're a really nice table. (I'm referring to attitude, not tip.) But if you're still there when we're no longer accepting more guests because we're closed, you can listen to us vacuum. It's your fault for not respecting company hours. Although, I did once have a manager vacuum hours before we closed and that was annoying. It's like, you know the floor around those tables is just going to get dirty again, and you're pissing off my guests, I'd be pissed.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:02 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 09:02 AM #84 of 127
Perhaps it's a good idea for staff to pressure management to close earlier so as to not inconvenience yourselves with YOUR JOB.

How ya doing, buddy?
The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:10 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 10:10 AM #85 of 127
So you think it's perfectly acceptable to stay somewhere a half an hour plus after they've closed?
Last Monday a table didn't leave until 11:50. We close at 10:00. Basically you're saying we have no right to be upset at them even though they're the ones not respecting company hours. If we were to go by what Sass and Seris are suggesting, we wouldn't even begin closing until they'd left. Almost two hours after we were closed, simply because there was one table left.

Last edited by The_Melomane; Oct 25, 2008 at 11:14 AM.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:15 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 09:15 AM 1 #86 of 127
If your employer had an issue with people remaining to enjoy their meal after your normal business hours were over they would take steps to let people know about it. The fact that it is against your policy to even mention that you're closed suggests that your place of work has no problem with people finishing their meal leisurely.

Find another job.

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:25 AM #87 of 127
So you think it's perfectly acceptable to stay somewhere a half an hour plus after they've closed?
Last Monday a table didn't leave until 11:50. We close at 10:00. Basically you're saying we have no right to be upset at them even though they're the ones not respecting company hours. If we were to go by what Sass and Seris are suggesting, we wouldn't even begin closing until they'd left. Almost two hours after we were closed, simply because there was one table left.
I've worked RETAIL jobs that have required employees to tend to customers long after the store has closed. And we--the employees--managed to ring every customer out, bag all their shit, and say "have a nice night!" without being jerks about it.

I'm not saying that having to do that is annoying, but it is your job to do that sort of thing every so often. Some of the customers coming in, they might be working long days too and the only time they have to get what they need to get done is 20 minutes before closing time. Shit happens. It does not entitle you, the employee, to take your frustrations out on them regardless of the circumstances.

FELIPE NO
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:49 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2008, 12:49 AM #88 of 127
Perhaps this recession will reduce the sense of entitlement some employees in the American hospitality industry seem to carry.

That aside, I'm convinced that the minimum wage law has to change - to NOT include tips in the calculation. The provision is probably there for small and medium restaurateurs. But it's still unfair.

Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:11 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 12:11 PM 2 #89 of 127
I wasn't complaining. Nobody does anything to the customers. I'm just saying it's incredibly rude to think that you're entitled to stay well past closing time. They get the same treatment as everyone else. However, you can't expect to stay past close and have the ENITRE restaurant hold everything just for you. This goes for anything. I'm sure if someone was at Yonkers past closing time, everyone except the cashiers would continue to close as if it were normal.

According to my mom who's been a manager for about 18 years, if restaurants DIDN'T pay their servers so little and use tips, the cost of your meal would double because it'd need to include the cost of paying the servers. In essence we do it because it keeps you from having to pay $50 for a $25 meal. (I have no idea how accurate this is, just that that's basically what my mom told me.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:36 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 11:36 AM #90 of 127
That's total bullshit. Servers are paid at the very least minimum wage here, and there are still plenty of places you can go to get a meal for $15 if that's all you want to spend.

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:43 PM #91 of 127
Where's "here" wingman? In the land of blue cocks and all points northward server's make $2 and change plus tips. It ain't a bad deal in the long run, but that damn fool in the Schwarze squadron doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sense of entitlement? I work for tips, if you can't afford to tip then you can't afford to go out to eat, recession or no.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 01:44 PM #92 of 127
I don't think anyone's saying you don't have the right to be upset. Just that people will come in while you're seating new customers, and they will stay until they are ready to leave. Don't expect that to change, and don't expect my sympathy when it happens.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:08 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 12:08 PM #93 of 127
Where's "here" wingman? In the land of blue cocks and all points northward server's make $2 and change plus tips. It ain't a bad deal in the long run, but that damn fool in the Schwarze squadron doesn't know what he's talking about.
Canada. A server's entitled to minimum wage here, even if tips would put them far above it (which they generally do), and this doesn't result in someone having to drop $30 to go out for a burger.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:46 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 03:46 PM #94 of 127
Canada. A server's entitled to minimum wage here, even if tips would put them far above it (which they generally do), and this doesn't result in someone having to drop $30 to go out for a burger.
Well, I don't know about all the provinces (I know for sure it's not the case in New Brunswick), but in Quebec servers are taxed on their tips and so if people don't tip they can end up making less than minimum wage. I've been in a situation once where I had miscalculated the amount of money I had, and could only give about a 10% tip. The server got pretty fucking bitchy on me.

This was in a bar, and I had been there for a while, having already payed for and tipped quite well on a few beers. It so happened my bank card had been deactivated so I could only use the cash I had on me to pay. At the end of our visit, I had ordered some food and one last beer, and when I went to pay I realised that I had just a bit less money on me than I thought and ended up only leaving about 10% tip. I even apologized to the girl for the relatively small tip, but she wouldn't hear it. She decided instead to start using profanities to tell me I could have ordered something less expensive, etc. I had been there many times before and had always left good tips and again, I had paid for a few beers beforehand and had left good tips on those. And she couldn't have forgotten about it since this was during the daytime and the place was pretty much empty.

No need to say I never set foot in that place again.

Juggle dammit
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:48 PM #95 of 127
There are a number of restaurants (cheap and high-falutin') that don't allow tipping because they pay their servers adequate wages. One place I go to a lot for lunch is Noodles & Company. A lunch there usually costs $8 - $10, including drink. No double price here, that's how much I routinely pay for lunch.

FELIPE NO

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:54 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 12:54 PM #96 of 127
Well, I don't know about all the provinces (I know for sure it's not the case in New Brunswick)
Well, I guess I know for sure New Brunswick is a shitty province. Get with the times, east.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 02:58 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 03:58 PM #97 of 127
I believe that in this case I was saying that Quebec was the shittier of the two, by making servers pay out taxes on their tips.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Juggle dammit
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 03:01 PM 1 #98 of 127
What you should've done was take your tip back. I mean, she was yelling at you already, might as well go for broke.

But no that's pretty shitty.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 03:21 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 04:21 PM #99 of 127
That is what came to mind once I got over the shock of what had just happened.

Unfortunately, by then I was out of there and well on my way home.

Juggle dammit
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:24 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 01:24 PM #100 of 127
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Do you know what this is? Its the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.
In all seriousness though, I usually tip $3-5 if the service was exceptional, meaning we got our orders in a reasonably short time with no errors, we got refills when we needed them, and they didn't take forever getting the check.

Just the other night though, we went to this barbecue place that's usually pretty awesome, and the waiter had little to no personality, like he didn't even want to be there, didn't come back to ask if the food was good, and when he took my glass to refill it, he ended up giving it to the table next to us. I would've tipped him a dollar (Hadn't heard of the penny tip until now. I may start bringing a penny with me to restaurants just in case now.), but the lowest bill I had was a five and I'd already crossed out the tip section on the debit receipt. So he got nothing.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How do you tip?