Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do you tip?

The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:57 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 03:57 PM #1 of 127
How do you tip?

My mom was browsing the craigslist Rants/Raves today and she showed me a long thread devoted to what one should tip their server. It made me wonder if what the people on there said was typical of a broader populace.

I'm a server. Contrary to popular belief, it's a very difficult job. People, for the most part suck and timing is everything. I've given shitty service and I've also given fabulous service. (The shitty service, I always apologize for--long food times, spilled beverages, perceived bad attitudes, etc--and get a manager and more often then not, you get a free meal.) Servers don't get breaks. The closest thing--there are exceptions to every statement, but at least at the two serving jobs I've worked at, you only get a half hour break if you're a closer--we get are smoking breaks, and of course that's only if you smoke. Even then it's dangerous. In the amount of time you take a smoke break you could have been double or triple sat. (The bane of any server's existence. Yes, you get sat quicker, but I guarantee you the service is going to be shitty because greeting/serving tables takes TIME. More time at one table takes time away from another table and you can apologize all you want for a slow greet time, but some people are still going to be pissed.) We're also not allowed to sit down. Every so often there may be a glass rack laying around and we take about thirty seconds there, but for the most part, no sitting. At my old job, I had 8+ tables to take of. Granted, not all of them were sat at once, but still, people need to realize that they are NOT the only people I'm helping. And for the record--At Olive Garden, at least--our goal is to give you the best evening possible. Anyway, I digress.

Basically, what I wanted to know is what to you generally tip your server and why?

Me? I always tip at least 20% or more. Generally more. The only time I tip less is if someone really sucks. My paychecks are like $20 each because my tips are taxed, so I know how important good tips are. It's hard to live off of $2.00 a table especially on a slow night/day.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:01 PM #2 of 127
20% minimum. One time this other couple was giving this server a ton of shit for a long wait which turned out to be the kitchen's fault. They didn't tip her. Also they were enormously fat, and furry so I tipped her 200% of mine.

I like to feel like a high roller, and I imagine it makes people feel nice too so you know, win-win.

Also 50% if they're hot.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:30 PM #3 of 127
Unlike Radez, I can't afford giving out wicked good tips for wicked good waiters. ;_;

But I generally tip between 20-25%. Rarely do I dip below 15%, and that's when the service is absolute shit.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:40 PM #4 of 127
I used to do 15% because I'm a stingy Asian. Since my brother's a server and some people are even worse than that, I do 20% minimum now.

Occasionally, I'll do 30% if the service was amazing. More if needed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:45 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 03:45 PM #5 of 127
I generally tip 20%, but will go higher or lower depending on service, with a minimum of $3. There have been times I've gone out alone for lunch and the bill ends up being around $10. I wouldn't feel right leaving $2, even if it's justified because of a small bill.

I have only ever purposely stiffed a waiter once, and that was one evening at an Italian restaurant. We were seated, brought drinks, our order was taken, then the waiter completely forgot about us and served 2-3 other tables before he came anywhere near us again (about 40 minutes), and we could flag him down to ask wtf was going on. We watched him walk over to the window and get our order, which had been sitting there for god knows how long, and then he actually served it to us. It was cold, of course, and we sent it back. The guy was unapologetic and treated us like one of us had peed in his soup or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:06 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 07:06 PM #6 of 127
I'll usually tip between 15-20%, unless service was real bad, altough I can't say I'm very hard to plese on that front. If I go out to a restaurant, I'll usually not mind waiting a while for my food since I usually only go out to eat when I don't have anything particularly important to do in the next few hours. The service would have to be really awful for me not to tip at all.

The most generous tips I leave are usually when I go to a coffee shop, since I usally tip at least 25-50 cents on a coffee that will cost a dollar to 1.50, and usally at least 50 cents on a 2 dollar coffee.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Juggle dammit
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:13 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:13 PM 3 #7 of 127
20% minimum. One time this other couple was giving this server a ton of shit for a long wait which turned out to be the kitchen's fault. They didn't tip her. Also they were enormously fat, and furry so I tipped her 200% of mine.

I like to feel like a high roller, and I imagine it makes people feel nice too so you know, win-win.

Also 50% if they're hot.
I have augmented this post to put stress on the important bits. Other than that I agree. To add my own "wow, that group was a dick" story to keep up with Radez, I once dropped a c-note on a waitress. She had a table of eight frat boys that were all over her and generally being dicks and then walked out without paying after she didn't like the idea of blowing them at the table. Apparently this was her problem.

So she got a hundred bucks for her trouble, and the next time I was around, well, I got her number.

How you like dem apples.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Oct 22, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:26 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:26 PM #8 of 127
I have augmented this post to put stress on the important bits. Other than that I agree. To add my own "wow, that group was a dick" story to keep up with Radez, I once dropped a c-note on a waitress. She had a table of eight frat boys that were all over her and generally being dicks and then walked out without paying after she didn't like the idea of blowing them at the table. Apparently this was her problem.

So she got a hundred bucks for her trouble, and the next time I was around, I got her number.

How you like dem apples.
Will you come to Iowa so I can serve you? The best tip I've ever gotten was $30 on $90. ;_;

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:30 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:30 PM #9 of 127
Will you come to Iowa so I can serve you?
Why isn't there a QooC for regular posts?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:32 PM #10 of 127
I try to be part of the solution; I tip 20%ish.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:43 PM #11 of 127
I tip close to 20%, rounding up or down to the closest dollar (usually I'm over 20%). It doesn't happen often, but I have stiffed servers who gave poor service, such as forgetting about me or having a nasty attitude. That hasn't happened in awhile, since I don't return to those restaurants unless I know someone was having an off night. Also, as Deni and Radez pointed out, I've tipped extra generously for cute waitresses, or ones that go out of their way to be friendly without coming off fake (nothing annoys me more than a server that tries to be my jolly friend).

My dad, on the other hand, grew up in a small town and hasn't traveled much since. He's still stuck on the old "tip 15%" rule, and before he got one of those tip cards for his wallet, he'd sometimes leave less than that. I don't think he's trying to be malicious, he just 1) has trouble with the math, even simply moving the decimal and/or 2) he doesn't comprehend the cost of living has gone up.

Anazai
Chocobo

Member 24951

Level 11.42

Sep 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:27 PM #12 of 127
I usually tip between 20-25%. I'd like to tip even more than that if I had a really great time there but I can't afford it at the moment. I was working at the Olive Garden and I feel if you are going out for a nice dinner, or just going to the Olive Garden at all plan to leave more than a 2 dollar tip. I got sooo many of those, I can't even tell you.

The OG has a meal called the Soup, Salad and Breadsticks. You get as much as you want and it's only $5.95. People are such cheap asses and leave $2 when you are running your ass off to refills their bowls, I have even gotten a .98 cent tip on one of those.

The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:32 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 06:32 PM #13 of 127
I usually tip between 20-25%. I'd like to tip even more than that if I had a really great time there but I can't afford it at the moment. I was working at the Olive Garden and I feel if you are going out for a nice dinner, or just going to the Olive Garden at all plan to leave more than a 2 dollar tip. I got sooo many of those, I can't even tell you.

The OG has a meal called the Soup, Salad and Breadsticks. You get as much as you want and it's only $5.95. People are such cheap asses and leave $2 when you are running your ass off to refills their bowls, I have even gotten a .98 cent tip on one of those.
The Neverending Pasta Bowl is worse. Both of them are gluttony at it's finest. Nothing is grosser than watching someone eat 6 bowls of pasta or 8 bowls of soup in one sitting.

Anazai
Chocobo

Member 24951

Level 11.42

Sep 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:37 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:37 PM #14 of 127
It sure is, the most I had was some obese guy eat 6 bowls of soup and some other guy eat 5 bowls of pasta. It'll be over soon and then they'll come out with better entrees and more expensive entrees and you'll get a little better tip. I was there for 9 months and I was disappointed at how poor the people tipped and acted. This one lady complained to a manager that I made a joke about an entree, and ruined her meal with her family and I got written up. The OG sucks. Food is good but I would never work there again.

The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:44 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 06:44 PM #15 of 127
It's over now. We have some stupid Chicken Carbonara that we're pretty much required to SIE. I've been written up twice. Once because the host was a moron, sat a table that wasn't in any body's section, told me five minutes later that I had to pick it up and then we were out of breadsticks and apparently they really wanted breadsticks(I kissed ass and apologized, but I was still pretty new and forgot to get a manager I guess. They claim I didn't do anything, but I've always gotten a manager and apologized for even the tiniest thing wrong.) and wrote in and complained to corporate so I got written up and then some lady left me a tip on her credit card and totaled it wrong (should have been one dollar more than it was) and emailed corporate and told them I was stealing money.

FELIPE NO
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:45 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 05:45 PM #16 of 127
Nothing is grosser than watching someone eat 6 bowls of pasta or 8 bowls of soup in one sitting.
Ewwwww.

I'm on the edge of broke most of the time, and so I tip 15% plus whatever change it takes to round the charge up to an even number. Now it seems 20% is the standard, and I feel like a tightwad.

...some lady left me a tip on her credit card and totaled it wrong (should have been one dollar more than it was) and emailed corporate and told them I was stealing money.
Yikes... I hope corporate didn't harass you about it.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Hydra; Oct 22, 2008 at 07:47 PM.
The_Melomane

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 22, 2008, 07:49 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 06:49 PM #17 of 127
My manager told me I did everything correctly. I had to get written up because she said "crappy server" instead of just "server". So goes life.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:23 PM #18 of 127
Those situations are when it would be nice as a restaurant to just say "Grow up".

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:41 PM #19 of 127
I also tend to tip on the higher end, knowing all the crap a server has to go through, and how important tips really can be. Similar to Deni and Radez, I've covered for other people in restaurants, and if the waitress needs to apologize for anything, I'll usually wave it off and say 'I know how it is'. Its amazing how encouraging that one remark can be to an overwhelmed waiter or waitress on a busy night.

And yeah, I tip more if I get a hot waiter. Doesnt happen often though.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:56 PM #20 of 127
You guys do percentage?! I don't. I'm a server, too, and I'm sorry, the percentage thing just doesn't cut it anymore--especially since servers tend to make only $3.50 an hour. And, just think, up until recently, servers were making $2.13 an hour--the wage when minimum wage was $4.25 an hour.

So, how do I tip? It depends on the service, but I never go below $2 dollars for myself.

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:06 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 09:06 PM #21 of 127
I tend to reckon the 15% tip (cheap, I know, it's a simple divide by ten and add half of that up) and then round up to the nearest dollar.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:19 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 10:19 PM #22 of 127
I have a simple way to tip: I take the tax and double it. If the sum ends up in any change whatsoever, I round up a dollar; even if it's less than $0.50.

Example: Tonight my check for a local dinner for myself was $47.81. Tax in California for this meal would be $3.82. The tip for this is $8 even.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:27 AM 2 #23 of 127
I'm a rather stern customer. If you don't seem to be overly interested in doing your job, you're not going to get much out of me. Waiting on the customer is what you're there to do, and I know you have other customers, but they're not really my concern, are they? I don't come into the restaurant seeking excuses to stiff the waitress; do your job and you'll get tipped. But there are some very easy ways to lose a significant portion.
  • Make me ask for the same thing several times.
  • Make me ask for silverware at any point.
  • Refill my coffee and neglect to ask if I will need more creamer.
  • Bring back my soda refill with ice even though I specifically asked for no ice.
  • Fill an order incorrectly and not promptly resolve the situation.
  • Attempt to blame the above error on someone else; it doesn't matter who got it wrong, it's still wrong.
  • Return to ask if the meal is satisfactory only after I've consumed 75% or more, the point at which any criticisms are probably moot.
  • Pester me about the dessert menu, especially if I've already declined.
  • Make me sit around waiting for the check when I'd like to leave.
  • Dump off a to-go container without checking to see if I need assistance transferring my food.
  • Drop off the check while barely saying a thing, like I suddenly no longer matter.
  • Go on your lunch break and fail to inform me who will be covering your duties in the interim.

Most of these errors can be avoided through common sense and courtesy. I'm not asking for perfection, only that my server appear to give a damn. If everything goes well, I'll usually tip a good amount. I don't even follow a mathematical constant. I just look at how much I have on me, weigh it against how much time I and my party occupied your table, and then try to find an amount that seems fair. Most of my dining experiences are in places like Denny's or Chili's, so if I'm leaving a $10 tip, that usually seems quite flattering. If I can afford it, I'll almost always leave something, even if it's the last couple of dollars I have at the time.

Though there have been two occasions where I was so livid with the poor service that I left a single penny. That's the ultimate insult to a waitress - the penny tip.

FELIPE NO
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2008, 05:43 AM #24 of 127
I always leave over 15%. I don't really keep track of exactly how much it is but I rarely tip as low as 15% and you have to really piss me off to make me tip lower then then.

[*]Make me sit around waiting for the check when I'd like to leave.
This is one such situation that caused me and my friend to tip lower then 15%. This woman waiting on us at IHOP had us waiting about 15 minutes past the time we finished eating without bringing the bill, we notified her as she passed that we wanted out bill. We were polite about it. She then proceeded to take the orders of like 4 other tables and never seemed to be getting around to coming back. We had to notify another waitress who went by that we wanted our bill, I believe she scolded our waitress about it. So our Waitress finally brings the bill and gives us an attitude as she slaps it down. Yeah, fuck you bitch if you think you're getting a good tip.

This was on top of the fact that she didn't seem to want to wait on us in the first place. I don't know if it was because of my friend's face piercings or what but you can't treat customers like that. I've worked in retail and I'd be fired if I treated someone like that.

The only time I can think of that I didn't actually leave a tip was when our waitress actually went home without so much as a word or even giving us the bill.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Out thought and out fought."
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:14 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2008, 03:14 PM #25 of 127
I rarely leave a tip, simply because waiters/servers in Europe actually get paid some decent money (seriously, 3.50 an hour?). It's not really customary, since the service is assumed to be included in the check, but I see it happen more and more these days. People will never leave 20% (that would be a very costly tip, considering that a two person meal in the restaurant where I work costs 120 euros), but they'll often leave change, or if they are people that I know they'll leave more.

I have to say though, that serving in the US seems to be a lot worse than in most European countries. I've worked in a fair share of restaurants or catered events, and I rarely encountered trouble with customers. Of course, it all depends on the type of place, so I have to be careful what I'm saying here, but I like serving people, I enjoy the interaction with the customers, and it's a bit strange to hear how much shit people have to deal with on the job.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How do you tip?