Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Leonard Rosenman: 1924-2008

Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 06:27 PM #1 of 6
Leonard Rosenman: 1924-2008

Composer Leonard Rosenman dies - Entertainment News, Music News, Media - Variety

Quote:
Composer Leonard Rosenman dies

Oscar winner helped modernize film music

By JON BURLINGAME

Leonard Rosenman, a two-time Oscar-winning composer who was credited with helping to modernize film music in the 1950s and '60s, died Tuesday of a heart attack at the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, Calif. He was 83.

Rosenman composed the scores for about four dozen films including the James Dean classics "East of Eden" and "Rebel Without a Cause," as well as such science-fiction films as "Fantastic Voyage" and "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" and period pieces including "A Man Called Horse."

He won back-to-back Oscars in 1975 and 1976 for adapting the classical music of "Barry Lyndon" and the Woody Guthrie songs of "Bound for Glory." He also received Oscar nominations for the original music of the mid-1980s films "Cross Creek" and "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" and a Golden Globe nomination for his music for the 1978 animated version of "The Lord of the Rings."

Rosenman emerged from the New York concert music scene in the early 1950s to bring a more contemporary approach to film music. He applied 20th-century compositional techniques -- including serialism, atonality and microtonality -- that were not then in common use among the more traditional Hollywood composers but are widely accepted today.

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he studied with composers Arnold Schoenberg, Roger Sessions and Luigi Dallapiccola and was writing chamber music and teaching piano when director Elia Kazan invited him to compose the score for "East of Eden" in 1954.

Rosenman, a frend of Dean's, was on the set during shooting and remained in California to score Dean's next film, "Rebel Without a Cause." His subsequent scores for "The Cobweb" and "The Savage Eye," among others, were notable for their complexity and dissonance.

The composer was also active in television, winning Emmys for his TV-movie scores for "Sybil" and "Friendly Fire" and scoring such prominent weekly series as "The Defenders," "Combat!" and "Marcus Welby, M.D." He wrote the music for about three dozen TV movies and miniseries including "Vanished," "Murder in Texas" and "Celebrity."

Throughout his Hollywood career, he continued to write music for the concert stage, including numerous chamber works, two violin concertos and a symphony.

Survivors include his wife, Judie Gregg Rosenman; three children and two grandchildren.

A memorial service is being planned; donations are suggested to the Motion Picture & Television Fund or to the Association for Frontotemporal Dementias (AFTD : Your Gateway to Help and a Cure).

A more detailed news report can be found here.

I've never listened to any of Rosenman's music, but I've been meaning to buy a couple of his soundtrack releases at some point (RoboCop 2 and Lord of the Rings). Even though his last score was done in 2001, this is another great loss for the film score community.

Thoughts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:05 PM #2 of 6
At least the guy had such a great career. A sad loss, nonetheless.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ToneDefer
FilmScoreFreak

Member 16711

Level 5.90

Dec 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 01:15 PM #3 of 6
Puh...that´s really sad,i liked his music...R.I.P!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I´m happy that such Forums exist´s!!!
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 01:35 PM #4 of 6
I wasn't really a fan, but it's always sad to see someone who was an influence on the art pass away. Aside from Johnny Williams, he was the last composer I knew of who was writing music in the 50's.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ToneDefer
FilmScoreFreak

Member 16711

Level 5.90

Dec 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 01:40 PM #5 of 6
I liked his Star Trek Score...but yeah,he was one of the last golden ager....

I was speaking idiomatically.
I´m happy that such Forums exist´s!!!
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:27 AM #6 of 6
Admittedly, the only thing I knew him for was his work with Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which was good. Though I bet my parents are more familiar with his work.

If anyone's interested in giving a listen, I put the end credits track of that movie here.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Leonard Rosenman: 1924-2008