Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Anime sucking lately

Ghodbane
Chocobo

Member 2867

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:06 AM #1 of 77
Anime sucking lately

Is it just me or has there really not been any real quality anime show's in the past few years. There are a few exceptions of course (Fulmetal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze - but those are 3 years old still)

When asked to recommend anime to newcomers, I find myself always referring people mostly to 90's/pre-90's anime (Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin, Escaflowne, Berserk, Lain, Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, Now and Then Here and There are some of my personal favs).

Most anime of late has gone down the drain in terms of originality, and involving storylines and it seems the only saving grace for anime can come from directors like Watanabe (Bebop, Champloo), Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon or the odd cool show - Death Note. However, it seems like in the past couple of years, Watanabe's taken some time off and hasn't produced anything outside of S.Champloo (I hear he's working on Genius Party, but he's only contributing one segment to that film).

What are your thoughts? Does anyone beg to differ - maybe i've just been out of the anime loop too long and don't know any better? Can anyone recommend some good post 2004 anime that can hold a candle to some of the 90's stuff i listed?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:13 AM 2 #2 of 77
I kind of feel the same way, or maybe it's cause I'm starting to realize I waste too much money and don't want to start a new series. Either way, I've been taking more interest in DVD releases of American cartoons lately.

I hardly feel like an anime fan anymore cause it feels like if I mention Slayers, Record of Lodoss War, or any of my other favorites people will just have no idea what I'm talking about.

Most amazing jew boots

"Out thought and out fought."
Stop Sign
By the sea

Member 1161

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:21 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 10:21 PM #3 of 77
Y'know, there probably was a lot of crap back then, too. People just tend to remember the good anime and forget the mediocre stuff.

You could try watching Honey & Clover, Monster or Nodame Cantabile - those are examples of anime made post 2004 that I enjoyed.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:29 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 10:29 PM #4 of 77
It's all a matter of taste. Every season has at least one or two series that I enjoy watching, but that may not hold true for other people. Nothing quite like saying "the quailty of _____ is worse now" to make you seem like an elitist whatever, though. ;(

Production quality may not always be as superb or plots as epic as older series, but in the end the most important aspect of a series is whether or not it's enjoyable, right?

Here's a list of series that have been released since 2000. There are definitely many gems in there that are worth checking out. You surely must recognize a few titles in there at least.

How ya doing, buddy?
black100
Here comes trouble

Member 1851

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:02 AM #5 of 77
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
Watch it somehow, I don't care how you do it, but you must watch it. I think it pretty much is the defining show of current anime and I know it will be remembered as one of the classics later on.

Watch Gurren Lagann, it is incredible.

On another note, does anyone know when Heibane Remnei came out? I don't think it's that old and it's another really great series.

Edit: I also enjoyed the Death Note anime, but I'm pretty sure the manga is pretty old now. If you've never heard of the show or the manga though I would say check it out, the anime is just as good as the manga, well, at least until the second arc, but I won't spoil anything.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by black100; Nov 26, 2007 at 01:13 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:38 AM #6 of 77
Here's a list of series that have been released since 2000. There are definitely many gems in there that are worth checking out. You surely must recognize a few titles in there at least.

Now those were the days of real quality animes. From Argento Soma to Rah-Xephon.. I can recall being a big anime freak during that time period cause I was only 13 or 14 years old. I mean it was the time of mechs and big explosions and all that drama that caught my eye. Animes in the early 90's finally coming out on dvds (like Escaflowne and Evangelion).

I think War-mecha animes died right after the FMP series. Sure there's Gundam00 but I'm not sure if it'll hold that trophy like the classics have. It's there but not all the way. As far as Gurren Lagann goes, I couldn't get into that shit after the first episode. Many of my friends were telling me its annoying and Taku Iwasaki (one of my big time favorite composers responsible for Kenshin, Read or Die ) changed his shit up a bit. I didn't even notice his work at all in the first episode which turned me off so I didn't bother wasting time in it. Then someone else points out to me that there's an annoying song in that anime so I won't bother talking about it. But on a real note, I can't really enjoy mech animes like before and with that type of genre, it requires great music. After 2k4, there was only too little gems that were less annoying to look at but interesting nonetheless.

The only anime saving me from not watching anything is really Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn. It grasps that old feel the other classic animes had. I heard a rumor that they will stop production after the current arc that's airing right now. Really sad since the current arc in the manga has turned the story from comedic-action to drama,action and less funny. So if you want to check out an anime. Check hitman reborn but when the recent anime arc finishes, get to the manga and start from beginning to the ongoing chapters. It's very popular in japan but I only started watching the anime because of playability advantages in a certain game. After watching the first episodes, it was more than that . The OST's (Toshihiko Sahaashi - known for his great work in the BigO) are very good but they tend to get a little boring in the later episodes cause they were used constantly. That is probably another reason why production of the anime might shut down afterwards. Give it a try

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by chato; Nov 26, 2007 at 02:48 AM.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:49 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 02:49 AM 1 #7 of 77
Part of the reason anime has sucked SO hardcore recently is because of the Fansubbing issue. Company's cant make money, and if they cant make money they cant make product, so to stay in business they make crappy product that the TV station will buy so they hope the can break even. the whole supply and demand market has been broken in this area, because there is no real demand for it, because there is an infinite supply of it from one copy that made its way online. its the same with movies and music.
its explained better here :Editorial: An Open Letter to the Industry - Anime News Network
Thanks and Gig'em fansubs
But besides that, Eureka Seven, Ergo Proxy, El Chevalier D'Eon, Kurau Phantom Memories, Ghost in the Shell, Claymore, Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, Darker Than Black, Seirei no Moribito, Mushi-shi, Gurren Lagann, RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Elfen Lied, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...list goes on, these are all animes i have bought or plan on buying I liked them so much.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by aku; Nov 26, 2007 at 03:06 AM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:55 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 12:55 AM #8 of 77
The only thing that article states is that companies have shifted to making series for niche target audiences, not that they're making inferior products on purpose. If you think "so to stay in business they make crappy product that the TV station will buy so they hope the can break even" is a good business model that animation companies follow, well, I dunno.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 04:28 AM #9 of 77
After Eureka seveN, I gave up on the anime scene. I watched a bit of NHK ni Youkoso! but decided that was better in manga form. All of my long running series I find I like more in manga form as well, like Bleach, but somehow I think that if I had the time to watch One Piece, it would still be amazing (duh)

People keep telling me to watch Gurren Lagann, but I dunno, I don't have time.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:06 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 07:06 PM 1 #10 of 77
People seem to be forgetting something here -- there's prime time anime and there's late night anime. Don't like Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan or Pretty Cure? Then you're left with all the post-midnight shows, which have always been for niche audiences. Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Did you like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? If so, you can already consider yourself as part of that niche. You can sputter on how "moe" and the dating sim genre are destroying anime, but you're not fooling anyone.

Another thing: do you seriously believe the Japanese animation industry depends on revenue from overseas audiences to stay afloat? They have their problems, yes, but what fansubbing impacts is the American licensing companies, and it's partially their own fault for taking on series that simply won't sell (i.e. anything that isn't Naruto).

Think the quality or originality of series has fallen lately? Look, list out all your favorite series and look at the years. Are they seriously that concentrated around a short period? There's 30-50 new shows every season now. Good shows are naturally hard to come by, and just because the volume of mediocrity has increased (or rather, appears to be increasing due to the proliferation of bored college students who are willing to sub crap) doesn't mean they're going extinct. Have you watched Planetes (Ghodbane, if you haven't, you're in luck!)? That's one of my all-time favorites and it came out late 2003. And yes, I bought the DVDs. Thanks, fansubbing!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:19 AM 1 #11 of 77
Nothing in recent memory can hold a candle to that good ol' 80s/90s stuff. I absolutely love Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Rose of Versailles, etc.

Right now, there isn't much that I am watching. I enjoyed Lucky Star, and I am watching Myself; Yourself, which is pretty odd, but it's slim pickings right now.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:34 AM #12 of 77
Well, I'd like to offer a different point of view here, since I just started watching anime about a year ago, and I got hooked.

Yes, I live in America and I do download fansubbed anime. I'm actually a part of two fansub groups: Live-eviL and Anime-Keep. The latter of which isn't exactly moving anytime soon and the former does a lot of classic shows (e.g. Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 (both 1978)) Having just started watching, I tend to stick with the more recent anime shows. This may be attributed to the difference in video quality, as while I don't like to consider myself overly emphatic on how an anime "looks", I just don't think a lot of the anime pre-2000 have aged well, personally. The majority I watch was released after 2000.

That being said, I don't think the quality of anime has degraded significantly since 2000. I'm keeping up with the new season shows, and a lot of them look promising and interesting enough for me to download. I try to go back to some classics, but usually, that doesn't go very well and it takes me forever to finish the series because I often lose interest.

I've watched two series released before 2000: The Vision of Escaflowne, and Serial Experiments Lain. Late 90s, but nevertheless, before 2000. As I recall, I didn't like either one much. I didn't like the protagonist in Escaflowne (Hitomi I think her name was) and the second (Van Fanel) wasn't much better, albeit the best of the bunch. I didn't like the ending that much either. Serial Experiments Lain, I just didn't get. It's a weird series, to say the least and I was never quite sure what was going on. I'm not sure about Serial Experiments Lain, but I feel that I'm going to get a lot of heat for Escaflowne.

Well, now we fast forward to the present time. It seems like the quality of anime shows, IMO, hasn't degraded, but just that the shows themselves have changed direction with relation to genre. There seems to be a shift to the Moe/Romance/Comedy/School Life kind of anime shows, which doesn't bother me one bit, because I love these shows (see Lucky Star) But I know, to some people, these shows, especially Moe, are like poison. I think it's just a matter of taste. I'm not a bit fan of mecha or horror, so I don't mind the lack of action and battle-heavy series that are in the recent line ups.

I don't know, just my thoughts.

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:21 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 03:21 PM #13 of 77
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
Seriously. This is the best anime that Gainax has ever done. And I'm not even a Gainax fan but you basically need to have seen this show to talk about anime at all. It's that awesome.

Aside from that, I've actually started getting back into anime recently cause there are more shows that appeal to me. There's the new Genshiken season, there's Clannad and pretty much anything that KyoAni does (with some of the best quality animation I've ever seen, and really good choices in voice acting and pacing/writing). Lovely Complex was one of the most enjoyable love comedies I've ever seen, and that's a genre that anime usually doesn't handle very well, but this one really pulled it off gloriously.

As far as more serious shows go, Death Note just finished which is one of the best "serious" anime I've seen. Darker than Black recently finished, and although I haven't seen it, it's supposed to be really good as well. I haven't even mentioned School Days either.

It's definitely up to personal taste--I understand that Lucky Star and Kanon 2006 really aren't for everybody. But for me, anime is actually going through a revival after being really shitty in the late 90s/early 2000s with shows with poor art and grainy/muted colouring, series that go on for too long and have no pacing, and a lack of funny shows that are really funny.

Last edited by surasshu; Nov 26, 2007 at 08:26 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 08:30 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 09:30 PM #14 of 77
Funny enough, I got into anime in late 2001 when the subs of Vandread: the Second Stage were just being released, and the Elite-fansub releases of Vandread were floating around. That was the first show I watched, and I still fondly remember it for the characters, the story and humour, and the soundtrack by Yasunori Iwasaki.

And heck, Fruits Basket was released in 2001 as well. Those years can't be that bad

How ya doing, buddy?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:12 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 05:12 PM #15 of 77
Yeah true, no matter how bad it gets there's always something to watch. I was just thinking after I posted that Azumanga Daioh was 2002, and that's probably my all time favourite anime ever.

Fruits Basket would be one of those shows that I couldn't get into due to pacing and art though. It does have its moments (and beautiful OP/ED songs), but I can't say I'd recommend it to anybody.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by surasshu; Nov 26, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:30 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 09:30 AM #16 of 77
People seem to be forgetting something here -- there's prime time anime and there's late night anime. Don't like Naruto, Bleach, Detective Conan or Pretty Cure? Then you're left with all the post-midnight shows, which have always been for niche audiences. Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Did you like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? If so, you can already consider yourself as part of that niche. You can sputter on how "moe" and the dating sim genre are destroying anime, but you're not fooling anyone.

Another thing: do you seriously believe the Japanese animation industry depends on revenue from overseas audiences to stay afloat? They have their problems, yes, but what fansubbing impacts is the American licensing companies, and it's partially their own fault for taking on series that simply won't sell (i.e. anything that isn't Naruto).

Think the quality or originality of series has fallen lately? Look, list out all your favorite series and look at the years. Are they seriously that concentrated around a short period? There's 30-50 new shows every season now. Good shows are naturally hard to come by, and just because the volume of mediocrity has increased (or rather, appears to be increasing due to the proliferation of bored college students who are willing to sub crap) doesn't mean they're going extinct. Have you watched Planetes (Ghodbane, if you haven't, you're in luck!)? That's one of my all-time favorites and it came out late 2003. And yes, I bought the DVDs. Thanks, fansubbing!
That's about it.

And I don't know if it matters, but back in the day anime was quite rare, basically we were in starvation: every single anime was enjoyed, watched and rewatched until we got a chance to watch another series.

Now it's so darn easy to get it!, it's like if we were stuffed with it! "Meh, Didn't like/understand the first episodes, I'll watch something else... besides I have like 1648564 series waiting" - I blame fansubs for this.

And I dont know what you guys are talking about, animation standards are way superior than they used to be pre 2000.

Also Azumanga came 2002-2004 (Can't remember the exact year). I wouldn't trade any of your freaking 90's series for this one.

Edit: Some horrors

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Nov 26, 2007 at 10:28 PM.
Ghodbane
Chocobo

Member 2867

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:46 AM #17 of 77
Coming from the Wikipedia page on RahXephon (so take it for what it's worth) - "One of Evangelion's producers was similarly frustrated with anime as a whole, stating that much of what was released in the "post-Eva era" was "mass-produced junk".

Like OmniSlash24 said, the trend for anime of late has been a shift towards producing countless numbers of school life/shonen shows. If you're into that, then you probably won't see where I'm coming from. Tafer, I don't agree with your argument that we were starved for anime at all. Sure, the animation quality has improved a great deal since the 90's - (that's a natural consequence of better technology over time etc), but the overall originality and appeal of anime has been lost because of these "mass produced" shows that are veering more to please crowds with cheap thrills (ecchi, male bachelor in all female setting type shows) than new storylines. In the past at least, characterization and plot development were SOMEWHAT important, even to shows with ecchi. (Great Teacher Onizuka, Golden Boy).

Who knows - maybe I'm just bashing anime of today because of my nostalgic memories of watching old greats. I certainly think it's more than fond memories though. Great storylines, music, and heart went into these shows (when are we going to get another show like Kenshin!) I used to be able to call myself an anime fan - that's not the case anymore.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:04 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 06:04 PM #18 of 77
Take whatever the Gainax lads say with a grain of salt. I am no fan.

To me, Evangelion is for a large part responsible for the decline in anime in the 90s, since it's such a terrible show in every possible way, as is everything they made after it (don't get me started on Mahoromatic and FLCL). Gurren Lagann is the first show they made that's worth watching since, like, Blazing Transfer Student.

And we were relatively starved for anime in the 90s in the sense that only the best of the best got subbed (there are actually some super good shows that never got subbed at all, or not until way later--have you SEEN Blazing Transfer Student? ).

I also don't agree that better technology = better art. During the 80s and early 90s, the artwork and animation was (IMHO, of course) super beautiful, and vastly superior to late 90s/early 2000s, where it seemed they were just scrounging on the animation and it all looked really cheap and photoshoppy for lack of a better word.

However, nowadays it's way better I think. There are definitely still shows that use the cheapest possible studio in the world (One Piece comes to mind), but there are studios nowadays that put pride into their work, and the difference is palpable. I don't like Kenshin, so I don't think our tastes are really compatible, but I agree that a certain amount of heart needs to be put into any production. And recently, I think KyoAni has put more love into their productions than I've ever seen in any show. It's really amazing, and it's why I'm such a big fan of them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by surasshu; Nov 26, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:27 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2007, 12:27 AM #19 of 77
(To Ghodbhane) Solution: stop watching crappy shows!
You're talking as if the amount of bad shows that are brought to your attention nowadays somehow cancel out the existence of "new" greats. Or did you seriously not enjoy any show in the last 7 years?

Name some series you really disliked from the 80's/90's. Chances are you can't, because you didn't know they even existed.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:01 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 07:01 PM #20 of 77
I think you're totally missing out on some really good anime series. Of course, all these cliché crappy anime series will always be made more of and many of the old great series may seem unparalleled, but among the crap there is always gems to be found, and they're not that very few I have to say.

I'll post some examples of great and original anime that you might enjoy from post 2004
Code Geass (one of my favourites of all time)
Claymore
GunGrave (Ok, I just checked and this is from late 2003, but you might have missed it, so I'll put it up anyways as it's in my eyes one of the best anime out there)
Beck
NANA(If you like shoujo this is a great anime)
Basilisk
Monster
Kaiji
Darker Than Black
Higurashi no naku koro ni
Ghost Hound

Hmm that's all I could come up with at the moment that I think you might like. I was nice to even post links, so you could check out the links and see if it's anything for you.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by nanaman; Nov 26, 2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added some more anime
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:37 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2007, 12:37 PM #21 of 77
Nothing in recent memory can hold a candle to that good ol' 80s/90s stuff. I absolutely love Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Rose of Versailles, etc.
Ahh, another LoGH fan <3 There are good fansubs finally up on the internet if you're interested. Central Anime is the group name, I think, and they're doing the movies, then the OAVs. VERY nice fansubs. Clear and easy to follow, unlike the chinese bootlegs

Touch is one of the best series ever, as well. But it's under most folks' radar...

I'm noticing that my anime tastes differ a lot from the norm. Lucky Star was okay, but I never found myself laughing out loud terribly much. It gave me a smirk from time to time but I deleted it from my External HD without much hesitation (my External HD houses all my keepers. FMP series, LoGH, Touch, Maison Ikkoku, You're Under Arrest, etc).

Also, I strongly agree with Gungrave. The gunfights are pretty lame, but it is such a wonderfully done series. The drama, characters, and their development is just beautiful. Its ending is probably one of the more watery-eyed moments I've had in anime. And I've seen Grave of the Fireflies

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Nov 26, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:09 PM #22 of 77
I am somewhat having the same problem, but it only happened after Gurren Lagann.

I think i will call it 'Post Gattai stress disorder'

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
bahamuty
Celestial Chocobo

Member 1438

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:59 PM #23 of 77
The most recently released anime that I watched from start to finish was Blood+.
But I have the same problem in that most anime doesn't appeal to me these days or I'll start out liking a series and grow bored of it (Inuyasha, FMA). There's plenty of anime that I'll just watch an episode or two of and get bored.

There's good anime out there if you take the time to wade thru the crap, that part has never changed in the anime world. There's always been plenty of stuff not worth investing time in and a few gems that you really enjoy. But the animation style of old cel animation still does hold a special charm to me and I have found memories of those days.

Gurren Lagann seems to be highly recommended, I haven't watched it yet, but it looks interesting enough.

FELIPE NO
Paper Crane
Defending the universe since 1999

Member 21283

Level 6.41

Mar 2007

Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:33 PM #24 of 77
Black Lagoon came out last year, it was fun to watch and had some great sequences. Also Seirei no Moribito came out sometime this year, it was both entertaining and compelling. That's what I have watched of any quality in the last few months as far as current stuff goes.

Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Nov 27, 2007, 03:32 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2007, 03:32 PM #25 of 77
Well, I can't really say Ghodbhane is entirely wrong.

Some of late animes are good indeed. Some even make you fly and dying to wait the next episodes or seasin to air (Suzumiya Haruhi is one good example).

But lately shounen-theme, school-dating, and date-sim animes have ruined most of it. Discovering new different anime with a good first expression has been difficult since then.

Don't know why people in Japan like anime with that kind of genre. Once seen, you've seen most of all.

So Ghodbhane, I agree with Bigblah: stop watching crappy shows. Sometimes a good show (TV shows, anime, etc.) doesn't have to be the popular ones. For instance, I find that I don't actually like Code Geass despite my friends said that it was awesome. It's a matter of taste.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Anime sucking lately