Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: About how many books do you think you have read in the past year?
0 18 13.74%
1 16 12.21%
2 9 6.87%
3 13 9.92%
4-5 21 16.03%
6-7 9 6.87%
8-10 11 8.40%
11-12 5 3.82%
13-15 3 2.29%
16-20 6 4.58%
21-30 6 4.58%
31-40 5 3.82%
41-50 2 1.53%
51+ 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

1 in 4 adults read no books last year

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:08 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 05:08 PM #26 of 120
0. o.0" (Yeah that's right)

Reading's just not for me. I don't see many benefits from it, but let's not start some whole book-benefit-bashing thing (hey it's a benefit! I learned alliteration from a book.)

I recently had to read a book for school...but I just looked up a summary online. Funny thing is, I came first in the test we had on the text. Fancy that! (take THAT you benefit bastards!)

Edit: Just fixing a typo, don't mind me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Muzza; Aug 23, 2007 at 03:51 AM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:10 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 11:10 PM #27 of 120
Maybe if you read more you'd learn how to properly form a contraction.

e: Typo, sure.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE; Aug 23, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:41 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 11:41 PM #28 of 120
If it's not on the Internet or in a video game, I probably won't read it. I don't even like reading novels.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:15 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 03:15 AM #29 of 120
I kinda abide by Kaleb's opinion on this, but I read around 10 books this last year. School-related. Books on quantum mechanics aren't exactly favorite reads of mine

Hoping to tear through a few whilst offshore... But for fun =U

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Aug 23, 2007 at 03:48 AM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:16 AM #30 of 120
Can we just go ahead and autoban anyone who freely and shamelessly admits to being an unread illiterate retard

I promise you we won't be losing anything valuable

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Yamigarasu
Ace P.I.

Member 22229

Level 7.28

Apr 2007

Old Aug 23, 2007, 03:49 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 05:49 AM #31 of 120
I have an habit of reading at at least one large book, (500 pages up) and several short ones (like novels) per month, but thats when my income is good, and I can afford those, there is a public library 2 blocks from my house, but I like to read on my own pace.

Asside from books, I also read tons of newpapers and magazines, as well as comic books, mangas and imported magazines, altought those don't count as reading a book, It does count's as reading something, since most of the stuff I read is informational (reader's Digest, Natgeo, etc)

Yet, I still feel an ignorant ass because noone I know have the same habit, and pretty much all they talk is weird shit on TV.

FELIPE NO
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:29 AM #32 of 120
How can you not taunt a girl like this?

She worships Plato and Socrates, thinks that they are some sort of ancient gods.

Last I saw her, she was reading "Socrates in Love," which I almost threw in the campfire upon spotting it in her handbag. Before that, it was Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which is a step up from anything with Socrates in the title, suppose. Her boyfriend at the time stole the book from her - for good or for bad, I am unsure. I hear a lot of people out there enjoyed this Motorcycle Zen shit. Me? I don't need a book to explore values. I AM A HEATHEN LIKE THAT. O, I almost forgot the God Delusion, which convinced her to become an atheist. She's vulnerable like that. My being an atheist for years and years and being pretty vocal about it always caught plenty of criticism from her. BUT SUDDENLY, A BOOK TOLD HER TO BELIEVE IN NOTHING. So she did.

Needless to say, my normal sub-intelligent taste in books makes her :frownyface:. I am a barbarian to her. I have no passion for philosophy therefore, I must be a complete moron. I pity the man who puts up with her in the future. (Presently, a 34 year old Brazilian who can hardly speak English. Smart of him, since they can only communicate in a primitive sign language at this point.)
oh jesus. I bet she's read the Divine Comedy a couple of times too for street cred, huh?

I read a bit of Cicero recently, when looking up what lorem ipsum meant. He seems like a reasonable fellow.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:56 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 05:56 AM #33 of 120
Can we just go ahead and autoban anyone who freely and shamelessly admits to being an unread illiterate retard

I promise you we won't be losing anything valuable
Oh good, I guess the shameful and hesitant illiterate retards are safe then. I hate to admit that the last book I read was last June. The fucked up part about it is I actually love reading, I just don't know what angle to approach books and authors from. I am, by nature, flawfully accepting, so I have a hard time narrowing fields by genres or writing styles, and the pool to draw from is immeasurably vast. Where do you even start with literature.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:35 AM #34 of 120
Do what I do and reach back into the mists of time to your high school english summer reading lists.

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 09:55 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 04:55 PM #35 of 120
I'm amazed so many people read books! I always thought it was eating up so much of my time, movies are much easier. I never read books. Scientific magazines are more my cup of tea.

I don't count my books about separation principles, warmth transfer and chemical process industry though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by katchum; Aug 23, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:00 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 09:00 AM #36 of 120
I like to read a lot, but I don't get to do it as much as I'd like to. Earlier in the year I was pretty good about reading 15-30 minutes a night, I'd read while on the bus, and spend a bit of my lunch time reading. It was nice to start doing it again, since I usually don't read at all during the school year since between textbooks, homeworks, and technical papers I hardly want to read another word.

Of course, then my girlfriend came out for the summer and doesn't let me read at right before I go to sleep because she wants to do something else. I miss my books.

(Currently stuck in the middle of this one about Tesla that the professor I work for gave me. He's a pretty neat dude, but I swear the author has ADD and no knowledge of science whatsoever.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 AM #37 of 120
oh jesus. I bet she's read the Divine Comedy a couple of times too for street cred, huh?
What, like you haven't?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:15 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 12:15 PM #38 of 120
My sister reads nothing but Greek philosophers and Ayn Rand. She's an ass.
It's more appropriate, I think, to say that she's soulless.

I read maybe 5 books a year. I'm a slow reader by comparison anyways because I have a problem staying awake. Generally it's all non-fiction. Worst thing is that people are jealous of me because I read one book in four months that I just so happened to bring with me to school.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:31 PM #39 of 120
What, like you haven't?
That hurt, LeHah. What'd I do to deserve that.

actually, in my younger years, I bought the first one, I think it was inferno. But it was too dull to get through and I think I quit within fifty pages.

My attention span was fried by video games and shitty decathelons by scientologists. I'm just glad that it got fried before I read too much awful sci-fi and fantasy books. Terry Goodkind was bad enough.

FELIPE NO
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:41 PM #40 of 120
I think it was inferno.
Inferno itself is devastatingly boring. I'm glad someone else thinks so. I felt like such a bastion of American stupidity for not liking it at all.

In all honesty, though - if it hadn't been for Pang, I would have probably never loved a lot of the books I read today. If there's ever any doubt about Pang and his knowledge of literature, it should be shot down immediately.

And yea, Divine Comedy. Ugh. She likes Voltaire's Candide, though. So she can't be entirely discredited.

Most amazing jew boots
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:44 PM #41 of 120
I read all sorts of trashy low brow literature. If we're talking over the span of a year, I think I read through all of Robert Jordan's books sometime last year, again. Then I've read a ton of books off of Baen's website. I'd say 30+ there this year. And that's on the conservative side. Then I downloaded a bunch of other books, to grab the Dark is Rising series, and I think I've consumed another 10-12 books on top of that from the same batch.

I go on binges, so it's really hard to guess how many total, but I'd say it's easily over 51. I know a while back for about a week, I was reading multiple books a day.

About the only "high" literature I've read that comes to mind is Fanny Hill, and Tom Jones, by John Cleland and Henry Fielding respectively.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Radez; Aug 23, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:52 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 10:52 AM 1 #42 of 120
actually, in my younger years, I bought the first one, I think it was inferno. But it was too dull to get through and I think I quit within fifty pages.

My attention span was fried by video games and shitty decathelons by scientologists. I'm just glad that it got fried before I read too much awful sci-fi and fantasy books. Terry Goodkind was bad enough.
I managed to finish it and all I could wonder was how it became popular in the first place. And, really, if hell is that boring, imagine how purgatory must be.

Lurker, at least L. Ron Hubbard taught us how two lesbians into S&M go about raping a guy!

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:53 PM #43 of 120
haha Sass. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Similarion was like that too; actually, I don't think I would've made it through Lord of the Rings if I hadn't watched the first movie ahead of time.

I think I read through all of Robert Jordan's books sometime last year, again.
God why do you hate yourself

Quote:
Then I've read a ton of books off of Baen's website.
<3

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:59 PM #44 of 120
haha Sass. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Similarion was like that too; actually, I don't think I would've made it through Lord of the Rings if I hadn't watched the first movie ahead of time.
Let's be honest, here. Tolkien drones on and fucking on. He takes for fucking EVER to get to his point. It's awful.

I had a hard enough time not falling asleep during The Two Towers. I kept hoping and praying for the second half of the book to appear in between the pages sometime soon. No one gives a shit about the elongated version of the battle of Helm's Deep.

The first part of the Silmarillion reminded me a little too much of the Bible. I put it down after the first 20 pages or so. ;_; (I feel bad about it to this day, since my friend Sarah finished it. But she never finished high school and she's not the brightest. SAD)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 01:15 PM #45 of 120
Quote:
(I feel bad about it to this day, since my friend Sarah finished it. But she never finished high school and she's not the brightest. SAD)
lolling at that set of priorities.

Come on, Similarion is just a backstory. It's not even a real book like Lord of the Rings is. It's all just elf Ayurmuer travelling to these lands and doing battle with banished kings and his best elf friend Myroumer dying and with his last breath cursed the heavens, and that's why the area is a swamp to this very day.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 02:37 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 02:37 PM #46 of 120
I haves confessions to makes.

The historian in me is precisely why I love the Silmarillion.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 05:59 PM #47 of 120
I dont read any novels a year, in fact, outside of the little reading I did in HS I havent sat down and read anything, though, if I ever plan on taking any (community) college in my lifetime, I guess starting a regiment of a few a month wouldn't hurt.

FELIPE NO
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 06:08 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2007, 01:08 AM #48 of 120
I would've expected the results to be worse, one in four is not that bad. Quite a few people that I know have hardly read a book in their whole lifetime, let alone last year.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 07:44 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 06:44 PM #49 of 120
Aside from the Halo novels, I haven't read any non-technical/textbook type of books since 4th grade for book reports.

Most amazing jew boots
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Aug 23, 2007, 08:02 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2007, 09:32 PM #50 of 120
I'm actually reading a lot more than what I ever did for quite a long time. I remember being 11 years old and I use to read as many hardy boy books I could get my hands on. I haven't really kept up with much reading until recently. I work at a job that requires sitting in a truck for the majority of my work day on occassion, so I try to take as much reading material as humanly possible to try to occupy my time.

I just finished reading Battle Royale the actual novel, not the manga, and I usually read a few books concerning the type of work I'm doing to help improve myself with all the environmental work that I do.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > 1 in 4 adults read no books last year