Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[] General Touhou Discussion thread

CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:58 PM #1 of 137
General Touhou Discussion thread

hm.. since it is allowed here might as well start.

I'm quite sure the anime community are aware of a distinct game known as the Touhou game series. In the case that you don't have a blazing thing in hell what is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touhou

http://www.pooshlmer.com/touhouwiki/...hp/Touhou_Wiki
The above link is for those who want a little more indepth look on the actual characters rather than the game though there is an abundance of info about the game too.

Quote:
The Touhou Project (東方Project, Tōhō purojekuto?), also known as Toho Project or Project Shrine Maiden, is a series of curtain fire scrolling shooters made by Team Shanghai Alice. They are notable for being successful dojin soft because of their intricate bullet patterns, their greater focus on characters than most shooter games, and being a one-man project.
That pretty much sums it up for the general gist of it.

This thread is meant for the discussion, bragging rights scores, sharing replays and other miscellaneous things related to it.

Now, which game brought you folks to the touhou world?

Me it was Imperishable Night, the 7th one in its series. I was completely suprised at the difficulty of the game even on easy difficulty. And now I still can't clear extra modes. Maybe some of out fellow users can care to enlighten us on how to be a god.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by CLOudkiller; Aug 9, 2007 at 02:06 AM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:10 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 10:10 PM #2 of 137
I'm not interested in Touhou much for the games, but for the rampant fan mania surrounding the series. There's so much Touhou art and other doujin stuff floating everywhere it's actually hard to avoid seeing it. ZUN sure has done well for himself.

I have tried the games, though I have difficulty remembering the titles. Probably Perfect Cherry Blossom, Imperishible Night and Immaterial and Missing Power. The shmups were as crazy as I expected, and I kind of gave up on them since I didn't feel like investing the time to get used to the games. Maybe I just lack good motor control skills. IaMP was pretty slow for me, compared to traditional fighting games, so I didn't really have much of a good time with that.

But like I said, Touhou is pretty unavoidable now so I'll likely end up trying the series again. Maybe this time I'll be able to keep track of who all these billions of characters are and why Reimu's armpits are so alluring.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:22 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 10:22 PM #3 of 137
Me it was Imperishable Night, the 7th one in its series. I was completely suprised at the difficulty of the game even on easy difficulty. And now I still can't clear extra modes. Maybe some of out fellow users can care to enlighten us on how to be a god.
Wait, what. I thought Perfect Cherry Blossom was the 7th game.

Anyhow, I actually started with Embodiment of Scarlet Devil which still gives me a hard time to this day. I, like Saka, was not able to develop the motor skills needed to 1-CC normal mode on any of the games so far. I'd try it on easy mode, but won't because as we all know, easy mode is for elementary school kids.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:34 AM #4 of 137
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is the only modern Windows Touhou game that I've simply been unable to 1CC. I started on it, but for some reason I always get my first game over during the Sakuya boss fight. Getting the 1CC on Phantasmagoria killed any enjoyment in that game as far as Single Player goes. The AI makes so many inhuman dodges that it's nothing but pure frustration. Playing against human opponents, though, is great.

I have yet to clear any extra stages though. I can get both Ran in PCB and the boss in Imperishable Night down to 2 life bars, but no such luck on actually beating them.

Also requesting this thread's name be changed to "touhou hijack lol"

Most amazing jew boots
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:43 AM #5 of 137
Yknow its IS alot bigger than I thought. I had quite a substantial amount of images that I wasn't even aware it was touhou related.. >.>. Very prevalent. If you are interested in playing again I suggest Touhou 10: Mountain Of Faith, personally it seems to be much more forgiving in the bombing department.

Though you will lose one power-up for it. But hey as long as you got 1.00 power bomb if you feel the need!

As for Reimu's pits? Up till this day I still don't know why but this image can explain or at least give some odd reason.. >.>:

Bah.. I'll find it eventually..

@ Taco

Go clear Phantasm mode, no miss, no bomb, unfocused and I will.

@Zero

Don't worry I feel your pain too. ><, damn Sakuya, I ended up throwing my old keyboard against the wall at one point. And IN is indeed the 7th one in the series, Immaterial and Missing Power is 7.5, and 8 is Phanasmagora of Flower View, and then StB(Shoot the Bullet) is the 9th, then lastly Mountain of Faith the latest one. SWF is debated to be 9.5 though for some reason.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by CLOudkiller; Aug 9, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:00 AM #6 of 137
OH GOD THE GAMES ARE FREAKING HARD

But the series itself... freaking epic. I don't think I've ever seen such a completely broken (power wise) set of lolis in my life.

My favorite seems to be Mokou for some reason. Something about burning shit up entices me I suppose.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:06 AM #7 of 137
Heh, I see the phoenix in you.. :3 However if you take Mokou be prepared for a Hakutaku as well.

One who controls fate, check
One who can make you die, check
One who can control time, check
One who can alter history, check..

The list goes on and on.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by CLOudkiller; Aug 9, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:31 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 10:31 PM #8 of 137
In before CHz.

The Touhou doujin you sent me Taco is absolutely hilarious. ITS MY LASER.

How ya doing, buddy?
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 02:11 AM #9 of 137
Here I just made a craptastic replay practice run on Stage 4 of PCB, feel free to laugh at any time.

We can upload attachments here right? >.>

Attached Files
File Type: rar th7_03.rar (13.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by CLOudkiller; Aug 9, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:56 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 12:56 PM #10 of 137
IN is indeed the 7th one in the series, Immaterial and Missing Power is 7.5, and 8 is Phanasmagora of Flower View, and then StB(Shoot the Bullet) is the 9th, then lastly Mountain of Faith the latest one. SWF is debated to be 9.5 though for some reason.
Just for clarification, IN is the eighth of the series. PoFV is 9, PCB is 7, EoSD is 6, and Shoot the Bullet is 9.5. SWF is going to be 9.8. It's all on the wiki front page.

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:49 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2007, 07:49 PM #11 of 137
Title changed for great justice. This means you can make more Touhou-related threads with more specific topics despite the presence of this one. Threads are good.

Like Saka, it wasn't so much the games that got me interested, but the fan-created things. If there was one thing in particular, though, it probably would have been this flash, since it was what caused the explosion of interest in /a/, and the posting of artwork en masse. That led to my interest, and led me to downloading the Windows games myself, though I've yet to try them for various reasons.

CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:41 PM #12 of 137
Ah, Marisa Stole the Precious thing. Great choice to start the invasion, or rather more invasive things. Touhou Hijack, XD.

Funny thing Styphon, it was the game what led me to the fan-made things like this..
Not everyone will find it admiring but it netherless is quite amazing to a point, I don't mind getting me a touhou based design.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:17 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 08:17 PM 1 #13 of 137
I originally discovered touhou in early 2005, when I went on a spree of downloading.

I was sucked in by the massive bullet patterns. I was playing Mushihimesama at the time, and clearing that on a single credit was delayed due to these games popping up. I decided to work on Imperishable Night, and I've beaten it on Easy, Normal and EX.

I prefer Imperishable Night over PCB and EoSD. EoSD feels rather old, although it's the hardest out of all of them. PCB feels akin to IN, but still different. Also, considering that Yuyuko Saigyougi is my favourite character, I enjoy playing.

Note: Ghost team (Youmu/Yuyuko) is the best for scoring in IN.

My favourite enemies would definitely have to be Mokou, Patchouli and Reisen. They're great. I'm not really all that fond of Ran, China, or Wriggle.

I don't care all that much for the fan made stuff, but the music arranges are nice. I have about 9 gb of touhou music including basically everything; violin, punk rock, 8 bit, screamo, symphony, symphony rock, etc. Practically every genre has been covered by fans for touhou music. I'm also VERY fond of MoF's stage 2 music.

Also, the remixes of the IOSYS flashes have been done a million times on youtube/niconico, I'm so sick of them. It's like the remixes of the Lucky Star opening. Fun for the first month.. now.. ugh.

Right now I'm trying to get through EoSD's EX.

And.. what else? Oh, I recently bought the three danmaku touhou games: EoSD, PCB and IN:

And.. that's it, I guess.

I was speaking idiomatically.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:33 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 01:33 AM #14 of 137
I guess a good followup to all these replies would be to figure out what characters people like to play as for each of the games and to see if I'm picking poor choices if my goal is to just 1-CC 'em all on Normal mode.

EoSD: Always tended to use Marisa A on account of her speed and the strength of her shot when she's in focused mode. It feels like I take bosses down faster that way even if I have to take the additional step of maneuvering into position to actually hit the boss.

PCB: Tended to use Sakuya A because I'm a noob/lazy when it comes to aiming since my first priority is to just avoid the bullet swarms.

IN: Reimu/Yukari Yakumo (Illusionary Border Team) because... it feels like that's the easiest one for the purpose of clearing the game. I really can't say much more than that since I've found facing Marisa to be far easier than going up against Reimu.

Any suggestions on better character choices if I still plan to scrub it out with the vain hope of beating the games? Meanwhile, other people can put down the characters they enjoy using for the purposes of scoring/grazing and all that jazz.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:59 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 09:59 PM 1 #15 of 137
Use Reimu A for PCB. Sakuya's shot fails because you need to be a certain area for her to lock on, but Reimu does that everywhere.

FELIPE NO
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:49 PM #16 of 137
Rather intriguging...

EosD: I play with Marisa A and B with this one. The B is weaker but makes up for with the awesome Master Spark Bomb.

PCB : Again with Marisa A and B. Same reason.

IN: Magic Team, Scarlet Team. I like Remilia's focus mode it allows a bit of ease since you dont have to focus dodging too much.

PoFV : I like using Aya for her Mini charge power. Quite Powerful. Yuka is a fun char to use since she has a 3-way attack.

MoF : Marisa A, B, and C. C is good since it somewhat resembles Remilia's Focus mode.

Notice how I dont mention Reimu at all? Personally I don't like to use them due to their EZ mode( Homing), and yes I know that they have alt mode as well, but yknow. As we all know:

Easy mode = Kids

@ Zero

There really isnt a better char. Just a preference in your play style. If you like power with Sacrifice of accuracy, Go for Marisa. If you like accuracy in place power go for Reimu or Sakuya.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by CLOudkiller; Aug 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
slayer25k
MIMIMIN!MIMIMIN!USAMIN!!

Member 9135

Level 22.15

Jun 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:30 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 02:30 AM #17 of 137
OK

I have to admit: I've become a very large Touhou fan ...last week, why lie!

I guess, it all began last year after the release of that particular IOSYS flash movie. I've never heard of Touhou or anything else about it before... and even after watching the movie a whole bunch of times and listening to other IOSYS tracks... Touhou itself was not to be found.

But then ..in the last few months.. I finally gained consciousness for the infamous Touhou games - and got myself some demo versions!

I was < astonished > and came to one reasonable conclusion:
( - awesome conclusion... )

I'm still impressed of the huge amount of art and doujins this game spawns!

[...]

And.. what else?
Oh, I recently bought the three danmaku touhou games: EoSD, PCB and IN:

Now that's the view I'm about to experience in the next few days, since I just (last week) have found a shop to buy those! .. I can't wait~

Well...
That's it for the time being..
I need a break... I can't even write a single adequate posting in... 9 hours?!
My soul needs to rest..... just a bit.. please

And to every Nana its prey...
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:09 AM #18 of 137
Touhou 10 is out on torrents!!!

Though you will need to get a serial code, from what I've tried to install.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 04:59 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 10:59 PM 1 #19 of 137
Yeah, I know. I'm going to wait though because I can't stand the slowness of torrents, and someone's going to give me a direct http download. Paying for your upload as well is a real drag.

Edit: Ok. Got it, 1cc'd normal. Pretty easy stuff. The final attack pattern is more a test of endurance over anything else, and it's very reminiscent of one of Reimu's attacks in IN.

I think I'll go for EX now, or something. I feel left short a bit by MoF's main game.

Last edited by Elixir; Aug 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
Sin Ansem

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:03 PM #20 of 137
If you needed a serial number, the download you got is fake lol

I installed it, I'll play later when I have a bit more time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:10 PM #21 of 137
Oh man, having played the Scarlet Weather Rhapsody demo I cannot wait for the full game. It's better than IaMP in every way. It's faster, it's easier to control, the nixing of short range/long range attack pattern switching makes planning out attacks a lot easier, too. No more declaration needed for spell cards also makes them a lot less useless. Now nobody can turtle after you declare because they know it's coming.

I'm not too good with Aya, though, but I'm loving the reworked moves of Marisa.

How ya doing, buddy?
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:11 PM #22 of 137
, Man this suck, but now I found the real torrent.

Are we allowed to share torrent links here? I don't wanna violate any ToS..

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:38 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2007, 07:38 AM #23 of 137
I can't understand how ZUN managed to make MoF so fucking easy. Easy mode is pathetic, Normal is easy, and Hard is.. well, Normal. Lunatic is weird. EX is challenging.

Definitely unbalanced difficulty levels here.

FELIPE NO
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:14 PM #24 of 137
It is?

I thought it was pretty well done here. What may be easy for you may be hard for others, though I feel each difficulty jump is one step way above the previous one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sin Ansem

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:43 PM #25 of 137
I'd dig the soundtrack about now actually.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [] General Touhou Discussion thread