Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

yevheniy
Євгеній

Member 27697

Level 10.88

Jan 2008

Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:14 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2009, 10:14 AM #1 of 87
I've been looking for more anime lately that has a serious tone to it. I can't stand chibi art style or when series waver between serious and silly; I crave consistency.

I recently finished Claymore, and I enjoyed it, as well as things like Berserk, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Serei No Moribito, and Record of Lodoss War, but I've been having trouble finding more fantasy/sci-fi series that don't go the humor route.

I have Twelve Kingdoms and Ergo Proxy lined up, but is there anything else I should be looking at? (Space opera is okay, but it all seems so cliche at this point.) Basilisk, possibly, Ghost Hunt, or I could give Monster another shot. Anything I'm missing?
You might want to give Dennou Coil a look if you haven't already. Aside from that I really haven't been able to find many enjoyable fantasy/sci-fi anime these last few years.
---

On a side note I guess I will recommend some manga since I'm mostly reading stuff now as opposed to watching it.

Ongoing Series:
  • Skip Beat! (10/10)
    Kyoko Mogami is the childhood friend of superstar Sho Fuwa. Kyoko was so deeply in love with Sho that she followed him to the city on his quest to become a famous singer. But she soon realizes Sho was only using her as his personal maid to take care of household chores and pay for rent. Heart-broken, Kyoko won't suffer in silence--she's going to get her sweet revenge by beating Sho in show biz!

A funny and entertaining romance story of an "diamond in the rough" trying to find her place in showbiz, and the mysterious pasts of the people around her.
  • Yotsubato! (10/10)
    Yotsuba, a green-haired and wide-eyed girl who doesn't have a clue...about anything! With no knowledge of the world around her, and an unnatural fear of air conditioners, Yotsuba has her new neighbors' heads spinning.
  • Boku to Kanojo no XXX (9/10)
    Rude girl and effeminate boy switch bodies and find that it might be a better fit for both of them. Lots of crazy comedy. Nanako Momoi is the belle of high school... as long as she stays quiet. Once she shows her true self, guys' dreams are shattered for she is a true tomboy. Akira Uehara has the looks and brains, but, unfortunately, his personality is so dull it overcasts a shadow, and nobody notices him. One day, Nanako's grandfather comes up with a crazy invention, and Nanako and Akira trade personalities! She's him, and he's her!
  • Girl Friends (9/10)
    Akko and Mari are best friends, but what if one of them discovers that her feelings are more than that of just girl friends?
  • Karakuri Odetto (9/10)
    Odette is an android designed by Dr. Yoshizawa. Wanting to find the ultimate difference between humans and her, Odette decides to persuade Dr. Yoshizawa to enroll her in a local high school. Follow Odette's adventures, as she ventures through high school, in search of the true meaning of being a human!
  • Marugoto Anju Gakuen (9/10)
    Kaguya is a boy in an all-girl's school for demons [fox spirit, succubus, werewolf, etc]. Being the only human was bad enough, but the added risk of his manhood being discovered makes for silly and unbelievable (yet deliciously envious) situations.
  • Strawberry Shake (9/10)
    Slapstick yuri romance comedy running in Yuri Hime magazine; an experienced idol taking in new talent as part of her job, but ending falling head over heel for the younger girl. It's hillarious and cute.

Completed Series:
  • Cat Street (10/10)
    The story centers around Keito Aoyama, a former famous child actor. Due to a childhood incident, she retired from her career early and withdrew from normal society. Now 16, she passes her days in boredom and without purpose. But one day she runs into a stranger who takes her to El Liston--a free school for high school students like herself, who don't have a place where they belong. Though hesitant at first, Keito decides to enter El Liston and subsequently, she begins a new stage in her life. With the help of her only remaining childhood friend, Taiyou, and her new classmates Rei, Momiji, and Kouichi, Keito slowly finds the courage to open up to others and to accept their support. Will Keito return to acting? Will she find true friends? Love?
  • Magical x Miracle (9/10)
    Merleawe has left her hometown and moved to the capital city of Viegald to attend wizarding school. On her way to her first day of school, she bumps into a man who kidnaps her and takes her to the castle, where she is charged with an awesome task—impersonating the kingdom’s master wizard! Fearing war would break out if it was known the master wizard, Sylthfarn, was missing, Sylthfarn’s inner circle has decided someone must pretend to be him. Merleawe tells them that she will take the job!

But not only does she lack the ability to cast more than simple magic, she also has no idea who the master wizard was! Unraveling the twisted threads of Sylthfarn’s disappearance and keeping up the appearances of both master wizard and first year wizarding student makes Merleawe’s every day challenging, magical and amazing!
  • Gacha Gacha - Capsule (9/10)
    Lately, Kouhei can't get his friend Kurara out of his mind. Even though he has known her since elementary school, all of a sudden, ever since she came back from summer vacation, he has been crushing on her... hard.

But something is different about Kurara--she's acting very oddly. Sometimes she seems wholesome, pure, and innocent, and at other times she is extremely forward and unabashed. Kouhei soon learns that Kurara has multiple personalities--and decides to help her keep her secret from their classmates. But Kouhei finds himself struggling between helping Kurara as a friend and trying to win her heart... which is a challenge, since she has many!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations