Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

This Week In Comics (for July 19, 2006)

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 05:11 PM #1 of 18
This Week In Comics (for July 19, 2006)

Comics I'll be getting this week:

1)52 Week 11
2)Annihilation:Nova #4
3)Cable/Deadpool #30 (Civil War tie-in)
4)Catwoman #57
5)Checkmate #4
6)Civil War #3
7)Civil War:X-MEN #1
8)Daily Bugle Civil War Newspaper Special
9)Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #10
10)Ion #4
11)New X-MEN #28
12)Planut Hulk Gladiator Guidebook
13)Shadowpact #3
14)She-Hulk #9
15)Superman/Batman #28
16)Ultimate X-MEN #72
17)Uncanny X-MEN #476
18)X-Factor #9 (Civil War tie-in)
------
A fairly heavy week for me.

xman25

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:28 PM #2 of 18
Civil War #3, Annihilation: Nova #4 and New X-Men #28 are at the top of my list. All three books have been great and I can't wait to read more. I'll be getting way too many other books to make me want to list them all though. Really, there is an A-list title coming out just about every week now. The only thing that would make this week better would be having the next Incredible Hulk and Daredevil issues released (and Ultimates 2).

There's nowhere I can't reach.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2006, 06:51 PM #3 of 18
18 comics, that's a lot of money. :\

I try to work in 3 or 4 a week. Civil War #3 is a given. I liked Eternals #1, so I'll be getting #2. Uncanny X-Men #476 for sure, given that last week's was really good. I also liked Flash #1, so I'll be needing #2. And what is this JLA #0? Is it actually part of the story that is starting up next month or is it just some preview?

Still gettin' a feel for what I like. :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
and Brandy does her best to understand
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 01:46 AM #4 of 18
I think the most comics I've ever bought at one time is 26.

xman25

How ya doing, buddy?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 05:16 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 12:16 PM #5 of 18
lol man xman wtf is up with your sig .

Only thing i shall i get is everything that has anything to do with civil war. Ive been ignoring DC lately. That might change soon, i plan to catch up with batman and shit.

no homo
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:32 AM #6 of 18
Ya, DC has been rather... uneventful as of late. I dropped the Green Lantern book because it got really bad. The new Flash series is ok. 52 is turning out to be as much of a bore as Infinite Crisis was - well, no, it's slightly more interesting and it's not filled with useless deaths. Batman and Detective Comics are ok. Teen Titans is meh and Outisders seems to be a lost cause. Don't even get me started on Nightwing... I'm hoping that the new volumes of JSA turns out ok.

Basically, at this point, DC needs to look to Marvel and learn a few things about good stories. Everything Civil War has been fantastic. Ultimate X-Men is good, U. Spidey is picking up again and The Ultimates is one of the top five books out there right now. Daredevil is THE BEST title out there. Runaways is picking up again and it looks like the X-Men books are finally getting their acts together. Oh, I almost forgot about Young Avengers - it's the best team book out there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:24 PM #7 of 18
I would say 52 isn't any better or any worse than IC. I would say Teen Titans is the best thing DC is producing. I would say Nightwing has been messed up for quite some time and was almost fixed by Grayson, but she was curtailed by IC. I also hope JSA returns with glory.

I would say Ult. X-Men is too predictable. I would say Ult. Spider-Man is only slowly getting better, but really just seems like Bendis gets an idea and writes a story, not taking into account that the arcs just don't flow from one to the next and some disagree with other things within the Ultimate Universe. I would agree with you about Ultimates, though I am worried about Loeb picking up the title. To me, Runaways is too dull and uninspiring. Uncanny X-Men is the only running 616 X-Men title worth reading. I wouldn't get the other two even if they were free. Young Avengers might be a good title, if it would come out consistently.

I don't want to comment any more on Civil War until I read this week's issue. I haven't been reading Daredevil, mainly because I didn't like what Bendis did to the character.

Catching up on Batman is not a good idea right now, Zip. Well, unless you just plan on getting the most recent story arc that ran through Batman and Detective Comics. Grant Morrison is taking over the Batman mag and, from what I've seen, it looks like a mix of genius and insanity. Son of the Demon elements with ninja Man-Bats?!

FELIPE NO
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 01:36 PM #8 of 18
Zip, that's Paris Hilton from the 'House of Wax' remake. She got killed by having a pole thrown through her head. Best scene in the whole movie. A number of people who saw the movie in theaters said that people cheered when she died. Anyway, I'm finding '52' to be intersting and for the most part entertaining. I don't think that every issue is going to be thrilling. The writers and artist who work on comics usually have two to four weeks to come up with a story and artwork. The people on '52' only have one week. So I think there are going to be times when the issues are going to be lacking. I am liking 'Daredevil' a lot. I'm getting a thrill seeing the Punisher back in the regular Marvel Universe. The Ultimate Punisher is going to make his first Ultimate Universe apperance in 'Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2' that comes out either later this month or in August.

xman25

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 05:33 PM #9 of 18
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Uncanny X-Men is the only running 616 X-Men title worth reading. I wouldn't get the other two even if they were free.
Really? Astonishing X-Men and New X-Men are fantastic. I'm hoping that the new X-Men team will make me forget about the recent Apocalypse garbage.

Young Avengers might be a good title, if it would come out consistently.
Funny, you haven't made any mention of Ultimates 2's lack of consistency... YA is the better book IMO. I can't wait for Vol.2 to start - although the fact that it will be a bi-monthly sucks.

I haven't been reading Daredevil, mainly because I didn't like what Bendis did to the character.
Really? I picked it up after Brubaker started on it and have been amazed by how fantastic it is.

Catching up on Batman? Ugh. Just read the Batman/Detective Comics arc. Ignore Robin and Nightwing. Catwoman has been decent.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm finding '52' to be intersting and for the most part entertaining. I don't think that every issue is going to be thrilling. The writers and artist who work on comics usually have two to four weeks to come up with a story and artwork. The people on '52' only have one week.
Umm...no. The stories are plotted out well in advance of the deadline. The 52 books are being written and drawn/coloured in one week.

Most amazing jew boots

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 07:43 PM #10 of 18
got myself Civil War #3 today. I've got to say, it's been the best Civil War book yet. it's got a great "to be continued" ending. I can't wait for Frontline #4.
and the Daily Bugle one-shot is one of the coolest little pieces of bonus material I've seen. to actually get to read the "PETER PARKER: YOU'RE FIRED!" story that's been shown in the comics is great. and the Civil War checklist is invaluable.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:44 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 06:44 PM #11 of 18
And at $0.50, well worth the price.

It's sad that Front Line is just a Civil War tie-in and will disappear after it's over. They really are fantastic books, probably the best I've read that has come out in the short time I've been reading comics.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:11 PM #12 of 18
Civil War #3 Hasn't been scanned yet. I'm so impatient.

Uncanny X-Men 476 was good though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 09:28 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 08:28 PM #13 of 18
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Civil War #3 Hasn't been scanned yet. I'm so impatient.
Ditto here. I'm just getting back into comics for this series after a several year hiatus. Jetsam has been a godsend.

EDIT: After checking a second ago I find #3 is now up. Seems I spoke too soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:34 PM #14 of 18
Wow. Civil War 3 was fantastic. It just gets better and better.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 10:47 PM #15 of 18
I also picked up 'Justice League of America #0' today. I got the variant cover by J. Scott Campbell. Michael Turner did the regular version. I normally choose Michael Turner when ever I can, but I think Campbell's cover is better. I love the way he drew Wonder Woman, extremely beautiful.

xman25

FELIPE NO
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 09:09 PM #16 of 18
The place I go to only had the variant cover for their regulars, it looked so much nicer. :\

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:23 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 11:23 PM #17 of 18
Catching up on Batman is not a good idea right now, Zip. Well, unless you just plan on getting the most recent story arc that ran through Batman and Detective Comics. Grant Morrison is taking over the Batman mag and, from what I've seen, it looks like a mix of genius and insanity. Son of the Demon elements with ninja Man-Bats?!
Dini has also taken over Detective Comics, and if his first issue is any indication,it's going to kick some serious ass. Simple, tight, one issue stories. Less 12 issue arcs, the better. Back to basics.

And the idea of Morrison with one of the Kuberts (I'll be honest, I can't remember which one. The one that isn't going to be doing Action Comics.) doing Batman is heaven.

I always felt that Morrison's Batman from his run on JLA was some of the best recent writing of the character (aside from Loeb. I love me some Hush.) Giving him a monthly series was genius.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:54 AM #18 of 18
if Paul Dini is writing Detective Comics, I guess my DC dryspell is over. time to crack and pick up some Batman. for the most part, I stay away from the DCU. I just find it incredibly lackluster and confusing.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > This Week In Comics (for July 19, 2006)