Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

You silly ass, dirty Indian... I said hello.

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 02:30 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 02:30 AM #26 of 33
Well, for me, I usually just try and mind my own business. If someone I don't know says "hi" out of nowhere to me, then I may say it back, or smile (unless they caught me at a bad time and I'm not in a good mood at the time). But yes, I too would find it kind of awkward.

It probably stems from people being suspicious of anyone who seems too overly friendly, suspecting that they probably have something else in mind (like the intention to rob you). Most people are used to the idea of not making much eye contact with strangers, and bypassing anyone you don't know unless you have to talk to someone for a reason (like if you get lost, and ask for directions, usually people won't mind, unless they don't know, or are in a hurry. But some will just straight up be jerks, so you'll just have to accept that).

When I'm at work however, my attitude completely changes. I say hi to customers I see, and if they're in my area looking around, I ask them if they need any help, or are looking for a particular item (some say they're just browsing, but usually people will say "yeah, I need "x" item, do you have that?"). I also go into "cheery happy mode" as well, smiling like mad at customers, and striking up some casual conversation while ringing up their contract (I rent out tools at Home Depot), usually about their project, or something at my expense.

For example, sometimes I mess up their name (to make sure I have the right name on file when they give me their phone number), and then joke and tell them that my name gets butchered all the time as well, and I hope I didn't mess their name up too badly. People usually laugh. Other times I find that something was screwed up, so I tell the customer that the associate responsible for the screwup will receive 10 lashes as punishment (even if it's my fault). Again, that usually gets laughter out of them. And since I'm still relatively new there, sometimes I may screw up on something, then jokingly beg them to let the slip-up slide by, which usually works, unless they're pissed off or something (although I probably won't joke around if they look/sound mad). In those cases, I just try to be professional about the situation.

So, to sum up, when I'm going out and what not, I usually try to just mind my own business, unless something happens where talking to complete strangers would be okay (such as if an accident occurred nearby), and I'd find people greeting me to be a little weird.

But at work, I reverse this process and try to help out as best as I can, and try to make the customer's time with me a little more relaxing (blaming the computer is always a good one, cause it's slow sometimes lol).

Most amazing jew boots
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 03:03 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 12:03 AM #27 of 33
Once upon a time in China, some believe around the year, one double-ought three.

...head priest of The White Lotus Clan, Pai Mei, was walking down the road, contemplating whatever a man with Pai Mei's infinite power would contemplate -- Which is another way of saying, who knows. When a Shaolin monk appeared on the road traveling in the opposite direction. As the monk and the priest crossed paths...Pai Mei -- in a practically unfathomable display of generosity, gave the monk the slightest of nods. The nod, was not returned.

Was it the intention of the Shaolin monk to insult Pai Mei? Or, did he just fail to see the generous social gesture? The motives of the monk remain unknown. What is known, were the consequences.

The next morning Pai Mei appeared at the Shaolin Temple, and demanded that the temple's head Abbot offer Pai Mei his neck, to repay the insult. The Abbot, at first, tried to console Pai Mei, only to find, Pai Mei was inconsolable.

So began, the massacre of the Shaolin Temple, and all sixty of the monks inside, at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began, the legend of Pai Mei's Ten-Point Palm - Exploding Heart Technique.

Spoiler:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 09:46 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 07:46 AM #28 of 33
This is a tricky subject for me, because I have something of a social anxiety issue. So whenever I see that I'm about to pass by another person, I start thinking to myself, trying to decide what would be the most appropriate thing to do. However, my mind's defense mechanism against other humans immediately starts coming up with plans of action in case that person decides to attack, heckle, or become aggressive in some way. This makes me nervous, and I usually decide the best thing I can do is to pretend I'm so caught up in my business (remembering a shopping list or some bullshit) that I don't even notice them. Because I'm so neurotic though, I keep checking to see if the other person is smiling, nodding, or looking like they might say "Hi". I do want to respond if that happens, of course; I'm a nice guy. But since I'm trying to pretend not to notice them at the same time as I'm anticipating and preparing for possible interaction, I probably look like I'm being rude. Sometimes I think that other people think I'm blatantly snubbing them, as if I want them to know that I'm too cool to deign myself to greet them.

If someone actually does say "Hi" or nods to me, I'll usually intend to say "Hi" back, but mostly all I manage is a "Hey" under my breath or a sort of half-smile. I probably creep most people out.

So yeah, if someone acts crazy like that when you greet them, you shouldn't assume that they're a dick. They might just be neurotic and/or have self-esteem issues.

Also, I'll cosign what everyone said about cultural differences. In some parts of the world it's considered a sign of respect to not make eye contact.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Jochie; Sep 2, 2006 at 09:49 AM.
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:15 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 10:15 AM #29 of 33
I never get it, and I'll admit - I'm weirded out by people giving me a hello while I walk. I guess I'm quite paranoid. I always hold doors open for people, though. I need to stop that shit, because people NEVER say a word of thanks for it.

Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki

So began, the massacre of the Shaolin Temple, and all sixty of the monks inside, at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began, the legend of Pai Mei's Ten-Point Palm - Exploding Heart Technique.

Spoiler:
And what, pray tell, is the Ten-Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique?

I was speaking idiomatically.
SOJC
General of the Army of Spoons

Member 10884

Level 5.11

Aug 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 11:24 PM #30 of 33
I always hold doors open for people, and quite often get thanked for it, although it does annoy me when people don't say thanks or something...although that rarely happens...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Making the world a spoonier place
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 05:34 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 03:34 PM #31 of 33
I don't say anything unless someone says something first, but I always look up and offer a smile or nod when walking past someone ... unless they are talking to someone else, then I don't interrupt.

FELIPE NO
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 05:44 PM #32 of 33
When strangers greet or talk to me I'll respond as politely as possible, never making eye-contact, and afterwards I'll wonder if that person is somebody I know or am supposed to know and--

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:13 PM #33 of 33
The area in our town I live in is not such a close-knit neighbourhood that you can randomly walk about and toss out "hi" to people, nor is it the safest place to do so (central downtown).

Within my apartment though, a random "hi" is always sufficient in the elevator, on the way to the laundry room/mailbox/recycling bins. I'll always either smile or respond likewise only if someone initiates the greeting. Although with some of the wheelchair bound people and sometimes the neighbours, I'll say "hi" first (my apartment is half-occupied by disabled people) depending on the person. Within the building, no one seems to be anti-"hi", save for visitors who don't live here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > You silly ass, dirty Indian... I said hello.