Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] ICC Cricket World Cup '07

Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:56 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 08:26 PM #1 of 5
ICC Cricket World Cup '07

Not sure how many cricket followers there are here (GFF seems European and USA/Canada dominated to me), but for those who are, what do you think's gonna happen in the upcoming World Cup?

I personally think the Australians will reverse their recent form and kick some ass, and that's not the inner patriot either, I don't much like our cricket team.

I think Sri Lanka and New Zealand will be interesting, and pretty much no other teams (except when they play each other of course). But, I don't know much about the current Pakistan/India teams, for example.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
- Spike

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 06:05 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 09:05 PM #2 of 5
There's a cricket presence here, but most of the time we really can't be shat discussing it online, which leads others to believe there isn't a cricket presence here. You know cricket's one of those sports where sloth's an innate part of the spectator culture. There's no other sport that require so little attention paid to it. You can get the basic entertainment of it by just asking friends what happened, or getting a daily update. It's like Rove.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
SonicEchidna
Victory is mine!

Member 93

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:43 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 10:43 PM #3 of 5
Just finished listening to the Ireland - Zimbabwe match.

Wicket off the last ball with Zimbabwe needing one run to win.

Ireland: 221-9 (50 overs)
Zimbabwe: 221 ALL OUT

Now I'm not even Irish, but that's a fantastic result for them in their first world cup.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch."
- Stewie Griffin
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:53 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2007, 02:53 PM #4 of 5
From www.bbc.co.uk

Quote:
Police hunt for Woolmer killers

Jamaican police probing the murder of Pakistan's cricket coach Bob Woolmer say they could be searching for more than one attacker.
Police say Mr Woolmer may have known his killer or killers, and are studying video footage from the Pegasus Hotel.

Members of the Pakistan team and staff have already been interviewed, and now plan to return home at the weekend.

Mr Woolmer, who was 58, was strangled in his room hours after Pakistan lost to Ireland in the cricket World Cup.

The defeat dumped Pakistan - a talented but erratic team ranked fourth in the world - out of the competition.

A post-mortem examination established that the former England player had died as a result of "manual strangulation", police commissioner Lucius Thomas said.

"In these circumstances, the matter of Mr Woolmer's death is now being treated as murder," he told a news conference.

Lines of inquiry

Suspicions that the coach may have known anyone who attacked him have been raised after it emerged there were no signs of forced entry at his hotel room in Kingston and none of his possessions were taken.

Mr Woolmer was found unconscious by staff at the Pegasus Hotel on Sunday morning.

The deputy commissioner of the Jamaican police, Mark Shields, said this might now be a hunt for more than one killer, and urged the perpetrators to hand themselves in.

"Bob was a large man. It would have taken some significant force to subdue him," he said, adding that police were ruling nothing out and had "lots of lines of inquiry".

"I have to say at this stage that it looks as if it may be somebody who's somehow linked to him, because clearly he let somebody into his hotel room and it may be that he knew who that person was," Mr Shields told the BBC.

Mr Shields also "unequivocally dismissed" Indian television reports that arrests had been made.

"That's nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. There's actually no truth in that," he said.

The BBC's Andy Gallacher in Kingston says that Bob Woolmer's murder has stunned the cricketing world and left the World Cup in disarray.

Speculation that this may be connected to gambling cartels is only adding to the confusion surrounding his tragic death, our correspondent says.

On Thursday, Jamaican police questioned members of Pakistan's cricket squad over the death.

The Pakistan cricket squad have been questioned by police
After being interviewed for about an hour and fingerprinted, the team left for the resort of Montego Bay.

They are planning to return to Pakistan on Saturday.

Pakistan team spokesman Pervez Jamil Mir said the players were "in a state of shock" over the news that Mr Woolmer had been killed.

However, the sport's governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC), said the competition would continue as planned to "demonstrate that cricket cannot be put off by a cowardly criminal act".

ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed said the entire cricket community was shocked by the death of the former England Test batsman.

He said: "Everyone connected with this event will assist the police in any way possible to ensure the truth emerges."

During his career, Woolmer also coached South Africa and enjoyed great success coaching in English county cricket, winning four trophies in two seasons with Warwickshire.
Its a real shame, he was under real pressure especially after Pakistan, one of the tournament favorites; a team who he had turned around got knocked out at the first hurdle. A disgruntled fan? Only time will tell.

Theres been a lot of calls for example by Alan Donald and alot of the cricketing world to call off the competition, you have to admit its cast a shadow over the whole world cup and it will be remembered for all of the wrong reasons regardless of who wins and what happens.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Mar 23, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 02:16 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2007, 12:16 PM #5 of 5
I don't know much about cricket, but here at work it's all the rage as most of the employees are Indian and Pakistani. Then there's everyone else who's all cised about March Madness, but before and after meetings and things and in the hallway, it's been ridiculously intense, entertaining even, to hear them discussing cricket stuff.

Oh man, that murder is awful. =/

I was speaking idiomatically.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] ICC Cricket World Cup '07