Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Fried Rice Recipes

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 04:14 AM #1 of 5
Fried Rice Recipes

I'm particularly fond of cooking fried rice. A lot. <_<

I'm always experimenting with new things, just to see what fancies my taste. Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce... Ham, turkey, bacon... Onions, garlic... Anything that would make an interesting combo and taste good at the same time.

I cooked one today with some garlic, half an onion, bacon and teriyaki sauce. I realized after, I forgot the egg, but anyway, it was still pretty damn good.

So does anyone have any recipes they'd like to share?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:32 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 11:32 AM #2 of 5
My fried rice usually includes finely-chopped celery, scallions, garlic, carrots, and things like small pieces of bacon, chicken, or shrimp. I add a little soy sauce for taste and color as well. Seasonings might include pepper, garlic powder (for garlic lovers), or even lemon pepper. I may also add an egg if I have one handy. I've found that fried rice is not difficult to make at all, and I'm able to finish it in under ten minutes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:21 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 08:21 PM #3 of 5
For a recipe that feeds 4 (or supposed to, although I've managed to feed 2 very hungry college kids quite handsomely):
1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 cup finely chopped onion (just about 1/2 of onion)
1 slice ham, chopped in bits
1 small or 1/2 carrot, chopped finely
1 or 2 green onion sprigs/ scallions, again chopped finely
1 egg, beaten
3 cups cooked (and cooled) rice
(rice left over from the night before would do just fine)

Trick is to let the ham/veggies simmer without browning/blackening in butter in the pan, set them aside, then pour the beaten egg into the hot pan and pour the rice in right afterwards. Mix everything together, a bit of soysauce + tiny bit of sesame seed oil, salt and pepper to taste, and voila! Add dried bonito flakes and/or sesame seeds for flavor, and yummy fried rice in 10, easy minutes <3.

--- Optional ingredients: bell peppers (all colors), tomatoes (yes, them too), bacon, shrimp, left-over chicken from last night's roast, etc. ---

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:37 AM 3 #4 of 5
I worked in the take-out section of a supermarket for a year and a half. When the store was built in 1996, they had a large emphasis on "International" cuisines. Part of this promotion was the "Oriental Express" section of take-out, which is where I was most often stationed. The irony is that I'm as white as the sun is bright. But this was okay, since the "Chinese" food was pretty bastardized for ignorant American palates anyhow.

Our most popular dish was the fried rice, and I had to make it often. But I got to throw around huge woks, so I didn't mind. The method that I was taught created pretty unimpressive rice, in my opinion. It was too soggy and lacking in flavor. I had to tinker with the ingredients and proportions before I felt the rice was worth serving. It took a while to convince my manager that my experimentations would yield worthwhile results. But between the collaborations of myself and another Oriental Express worker, we got it right, so she let us keep the formula.

We didn't work by precise measurements for most of it, so I can only list off the ingredients and methods.

Into a well-oiled wok over medium flame, add the following to your preference:

- Coarsely chopped red onions (or preferrably shallots)
- Finely diced carrots
- Snow peas
- Finely chopped sweet red peppers
- Minced garlic
- Soft chicken bullion (You can use other bullion flavors, just make sure they're soft.)
- A bit of sugar
- Several dashes of freshly ground white pepper

Add just a touch of water to the mix. Stir-frying pulls out the water that's inside the vegetables, so you shouldn't need to add a lot. The salt in the bullion only enhances this effect. Too much water usually results in soggy rice.
Fry the batch over high heat until the onions and carrots begin to visibly brown at the edges. Make sure the bullion is fully dissolved into the water.

Turn off the flame and let the mixture set for three or four minutes. This allows the vegetables to draw a bit of the water in again. The water is now seasoned and the veggies will taste better for it. Resist your temptation to drain the fluids from the wok. As long as everything isn't nearly submerged, your rice will be fine.

While your wok is cooling, prepare the sauce. It's pretty simple but the ratio is important. - Three parts soy sauce to one part cooking sherry. You don't need a ton to flavor the rice - the bullion is the workhorse. But however much you plan to use, keep to that proportion. If you don't have cooking sherry, don't worry. It's not strictly necessary but it does enhance the flavor significantly.

Add your cooked rice to the cooled wok. (If you feel it's still too hot but don't want to wait forever, coat the wok's perimeter with a light dose of oil and let it trickle down the bowl. I found that keeping oil in a cleaned-out ketchup squeeze bottle worked great.) I prefer steamed rice over boiled but sometimes this isn't an option. Steamed rice generally seems fluffier to me.
Stir the vegetables and water into the rice until evenly distributed. Then pour the sauce mix over the top and stir until the whole batch evenly takes on a slightly darker color. Liberally sprinkle on some sesame oil and give the batch one last stir.

Hopefully it all came out well and your rice isn't too soggy or dark. If you overestimated the soy sauce (which isn't hard to do) and the rice is a bit too salty, I found that reheating the rice over low heat and mixing in one or two teaspoons of brown sugar counteracts some of the salt. Don't add too much at first. You can't take it back. Add less, then more as is needed until the saltiness is reduced. You don't want to actually taste the sugar.

That's how I prepared fried rice for mass consumption.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Dec 7, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:28 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2007, 09:28 AM #5 of 5
If you come to the meet, Crash, I'm going to make you show me how to do all that.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Fried Rice Recipes