Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Guitar Hero

alkaline
Run Home Slow

Member 1696

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:05 PM #26 of 155
I love Guitar Hero.

When it came out, I made a blog talking about how Harmonix and RedOctane could make 20 sequels a week to this game and I wouldn't care. They're doing, what, six this year? Well. It's a start. My feelings for Guitar Hero are best summed up like this-

Quote:
Sporting one of the most well-rounded song lists in music game history, there is literally something for anyone who even remotely enjoys rock and roll. From classic metal, pop-punk favorites and even blues, Harmonix created the perfect blend of vintage and cutting-edge rock. I've been playing music games since what, 1997? I have never been more impressed than I have been with Guitar Hero.
GOTY 2005!

(( That would be me on the desk :X ))

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:39 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 08:39 AM #27 of 155
Originally Posted by Newbie1234

The game's a breeze if you play music already. Being a piano and trumpet player, I just picked up this game last week, and finished it on Expert today... I have yet to 5 star all the songs, so hopefully it will last me another week.
I disagree. I've played piano for the majority of my life, but it still took weeks for the game to "click" with me.

But AFTER that, it was smooth sailing. I'm trying to 5-star all the Expert songs now...I'm almost done with the first 5 tiers, I think. That bend in the "Take Me Out" intro keeps breaking my combo though...I can't get the timing right to save my life.

Also, people who actually play guitar will probably stumble a bit on the easier levels. :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:24 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 02:24 PM #28 of 155
It definitely helps a little at least, I mean, I read that some people have trouble using their pinky to press the Blue and Orange button, while for me there was almost no problem at all from the get go. The hardest technique for me to learn was actually alternate strumming, it's completely new to me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:27 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 05:27 PM #29 of 155
Well, I think most people start out playing the game using the wrong hand position...that was most likely the problem in my case, so I had a really hard time shifting my hand to reach the orange key. Then I changed my hand to a position that would let me play with my fingers curved like on the piano, and shifting was pretty much not a problem anymore.

Strumming both up and down definitely takes some getting used to...it's still not completely natural for me. Fortunately, strumming down is enough to get you through the game, although with really tired arms.

Most amazing jew boots
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:08 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:08 AM #30 of 155
Yeah, I'm a down strummer, and I'm almost 1/2 way through Expert right now (although anly about 19 songs 5* on Hard...). I'm stuck on that damn solo in Megadeth's song...the last song in that group before I go on...

Sigh. Eventually I'll get the hang of power-ons/pull-offs...I hope.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:12 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:12 AM #31 of 155
I found a really easy song to practice Hammer-ons. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinad. Theres quite the number in that song. I also found its helpful to strum after every third note or so too.

FELIPE NO
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:27 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:27 PM #32 of 155
Originally Posted by Lord Jaroh
Yeah, I'm a down strummer, and I'm almost 1/2 way through Expert right now (although anly about 19 songs 5* on Hard...). I'm stuck on that damn solo in Megadeth's song...the last song in that group before I go on...

Sigh. Eventually I'll get the hang of power-ons/pull-offs...I hope.
You should be able to down-strum every song except Cowboys from Hell & Bark at the Moon, as that's what I did on my first play through. However, if you want to get those 5 stars on Expert mode, alternate strumming helps A LOT for maintaining a good rhythm.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Newbie1234; Mar 13, 2006 at 10:30 AM.
Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:19 PM #33 of 155
Wow i hear alot of people talking about this. OMG I feel like buying it now. I am so pumped. Were is the cheapest place online I can get a guitar controller?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Lord Jaroh

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:52 PM #34 of 155
From Red Octane themselves. Good luck, they seem to be in short supply everywhere.

Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:07 PM #35 of 155
nvm..i found ebay. Its waaayyy cheaper than RedOctane. But how much fun can you really get out of it. Cuz I see it like a stepmania keyboard with one extra button and new songs, and a new interface...
On the other hand DDR is feet...
DDR is probaly the only game that can help you out in life.

Last edited by Keero; Mar 13, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 06:24 PM #36 of 155
Originally Posted by Keero
nvm..i found ebay. Its waaayyy cheaper than RedOctane. But how much fun can you really get out of it. Cuz I see it like a stepmania keyboard with one extra button and new songs, and a new interface...
It's a really fun game, and should last you quite awhile. Even after you beat it on Expert mode, you will still want to get 5 stars on all of them. You'll also probably want to get 5 stars on all the Hard mode songs, as some play noticeably differently than Expert, so it's like playing a different song.

There are also 17 bonus tracks, though most cannot hold a candle to the main 30 songs, some are still pretty good.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:30 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:30 PM #37 of 155
Well, there is the small matter of the music. I mean, the rock star aspect of it is how they're getting so many units sold in the first place. I honestly couldn't care less about DDR, Beatmania, et cetera so on and so forth soundtracks. These licensed track covers are great fun, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lord Jaroh

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:58 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 05:58 PM #38 of 155
Yeah, there's just something to be said about wailing on a guitar to Bark at the Moon, rather than looking very...odd..."dancing" to DDR.

Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:04 PM #39 of 155
Originally Posted by Lord Jaroh
Yeah, there's just something to be said about wailing on a guitar to Bark at the Moon, rather than looking very...odd..."dancing" to DDR.
Oh well cool then. That would be a cool game to add to my music game collection. So i'll give it a shot. :love:

FELIPE NO

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:05 PM #40 of 155
I looooove Guitar Hero. I'm listening to Frankenstein right now; such an awesome song. Crossroads is probably my favorite to play though, thanks to the great solo parts.

I've been playing Hard a lot recently; I worked on all my scores pretty seriously. Now I have to start seriously trying to 5-star all songs on Expert. I have 40/47 right now. I still need No One Knows (only cause I haven't played it in awhile), Texas Flood, Frankenstein, Bark at the Moon, and Cowboys from Hell. For bonus songs, I just need Cheat on the Church and The Breaking Wheel.

Can't wait for Guitar Hero 2.

Btw, for those who like competing, check out Scorehero.com. There are a lot of active players there; it's a pretty cool site.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 13, 2006 at 08:10 PM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:20 PM #41 of 155
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
You should be able to down-strum every song except Cowboys from Hell & Bark at the Moon, as that's what I did on my first play through. However, if you want to get those 5 stars on Expert mode, alternate strumming helps A LOT for maintaining a good rhythm.
I actually do better when I downstrum those songs. Usually I'll strum down for a while to get into the groove, then switch to alternate strumming when I'm comfortable with it.

As for hammer-ons and pull-offs...I usually don't bother with them. :P I find it easier to just lift my fingers. I guess I'll have to learn sooner or later, though...it seems like the last part of the Bark at the Moon solo is pretty much impossible without them. I can't even read that part yet...

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:43 PM #42 of 155
Originally Posted by Drakken
Btw, for those who like competing, check out Scorehero.com. There are a lot of active players there; it's a pretty cool site.
Neat site; too bad I'm too lazy to take pictures.

Edit: nevermind. That site FTW now. 5th place on Take Me Out - Easy, and I rarely played that song.

Last edited by Dopefish; Mar 14, 2006 at 12:51 AM.
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:09 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:09 PM #43 of 155
I absolutely love this game. I just beat it on expert last night for like the 3rd time (I don't actually own it so I was borrowing it from a friend for like the 3rd or 4th time) and it's still one of the best damn games I've ever played.

The music is like 99.9% perfect. No Metallica? Please.

Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:30 PM #44 of 155
I probly will get the game when I have more than enough money. I only play DDR because It's fun and it benifits you.

But...pressing buttons on a guitar might look cool to some people. On the other hand...no. I still wan't a test run on the game though! n.n

stepmania plz.

pop'n music, beatmania, drumania, and guitar freaks looks like a waste of time. But on the positive side, I still would like to try them and give them a test run

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 02:14 PM #45 of 155
If we had to play games for fun *and* if it benefits us, I'd probably have to quit playing all games in general, haha.

In any case, I love Guitar Hero. It's an extremely well done music game. Good music selection, simple to learn but hard to master, and definitely a fun party game, especially if you can get two guitars going. I still need to learn those advanced techniques, which do make a whole lot of sense, I just lack the patience to try it out.

I was speaking idiomatically.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:29 AM #46 of 155
I probly will get the game when I have more than enough money. I only play DDR because It's fun and it benifits you.

But...pressing buttons on a guitar might look cool to some people. On the other hand...no. I still wan't a test run on the game though! n.n

stepmania plz.

pop'n music, beatmania, drumania, and guitar freaks looks like a waste of time. But on the positive side, I still would like to try them and give them a test run
So in other words every game is a waste of time to you then because you could just like walk places and it'd be equal to playing DDR.... I find Pop n Music to be more entertaining than DDR.

Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:57 AM #47 of 155

I am Guitar Hero.

I phoned Colonel Skills Saturday night and left a message on his machine. I wanked all over my guitar (sloppiest solo ever) and then said "friends don't let friends play guitar hero".

I am curious to play the game although I figure being a guitarist will make me rather jaded with the way the game controls. Being able to play better in real life than in the game might be frustrating.

FELIPE NO
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:14 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 12:14 PM #48 of 155
You should definitely start in Hard Mode then.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:35 PM #49 of 155
I started in Hard Mode... Don't even play guitar...

But probably the easiest song to start off on Hard Mode is Take Me Out. Pretty easy song and they toss the pinky in every so often.

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 01:06 PM #50 of 155
it is beyond me why some company hasn't made a musical instrument instructional game... where it teaches you how to read the notes and everything... so your like actually able to play a real guitar or another instrument after getting good at it... heh

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Guitar Hero