Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Final Fantasy IV 3D DS

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 07:16 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 06:16 PM #26 of 313
They might choose not to release a DS remake because it would create even more demand for a PS3 remake. Many of us idiots probably would buy both pieces of shit, though, as you so gracefully pointed out.
That doesn't even make sense. They won't do a DS version because they are afraid it might generate more interest in a PS3 remake? How is *more* interest in a project, whether it gets created or not, a bad thing for a company?

Let's assume for a moment they do end up doing both, and you're right, the DS version spurs interest in a potential PS3 version. Then they benfit from having more people interested in picking up the next-gen version due to the exposure the DS game got. It'd be dumb to NOT remake the entire SFC trilogy in either case.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 07:48 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 12:48 PM #27 of 313
Yes I agree that we need a Chrono Trigger remake for DS. But no more FF please! X1+2 for DS looked pretty and all, but leave them 3D FFs as 3D FFs. What I'd REALLY like to see wrt DS RPGs is SHADOW HEARTS! Judgment Ring modified for touch screen would be f***ing awesome!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 08:52 PM #28 of 313
I was a bit surprised to see them go right back to FF IV, but it looks pretty spiffy so far. I'd be far more excited if they ported Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, or by some miracle translated Seiken Densetsu 3, but seeing FF IV's summons and such in 3D will be nice too. This is one of those games that I never get tired of replaying, and I'm interested in seeing what changes to the story they plan to make.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 09:37 PM #29 of 313
I enjoyed FFIV a good deal on the GBA. One thing that concerns me is I couldn't really take FFIV seriously if they use the same cute like graphics of FFIII DS. I'd love to see what additions to the story they would make. FFIV's characters are some of my favorite and more interactions between them is a plus in my book.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 10:36 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 10:36 PM #30 of 313
I'm all revved for it - FF IV was the RPG that cemented my love of the genre - it therefore will always hold a special place in my heart.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 10:48 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 09:48 PM #31 of 313
Completely uninterested. My emulator runs the game just fine, and the game is more than adequate in it's spritely form. Especially since I've seen what happens when they try to turn Yoshitaka Amano's artwork into 3D. Those tacked-on cutscenes from the FF6 port on the PS1 were... not good.

The sample screenshot pretty well confirms those fears. They're going with that intensely creepy psuedo-SD style from Romancing Saga, which is just going to ruin the whole thing. But I guess Square has realized that people'll buy pretty much anything as long as it's shiny and called Final Fantasy.

FELIPE NO
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 11:56 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 09:56 PM #32 of 313
Completely uninterested. My emulator runs the game just fine, and the game is more than adequate in it's spritely form. Especially since I've seen what happens when they try to turn Yoshitaka Amano's artwork into 3D. Those tacked-on cutscenes from the FF6 port on the PS1 were... not good.

The sample screenshot pretty well confirms those fears. They're going with that intensely creepy psuedo-SD style from Romancing Saga, which is just going to ruin the whole thing. But I guess Square has realized that people'll buy pretty much anything as long as it's shiny and called Final Fantasy.
You've basically took the words outta my mouth. They are going to fail when they try and convert Amano's (awesome) work into 3D. The DS could never handle the amount of detail the original artwork for the characters have. It's much the same way with the PSX and why they chose Tetsuya Nomura as the new lead designer. The PSX was too weak for Amano and does little to boast Nomura's "skills."

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 12:04 AM #33 of 313
I doubt they would be dumb enough to try converting Amano's original designs into the 3D remakes. I've never been a fan of how he draws people anyway, so I don't want them to attempt it either. His monsters and scenery are gorgeous, but his characters look like anorexic zombies half the time. Still far better than Nomura's, of course. If he had his way all characters would just be color-coded giant zippers with spikey hair.

Aside from Cecil looking a little, er, busty in some of those shots the SD doesn't look bad at all.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 03:29 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 10:29 AM #34 of 313
I really don't understand why people keep getting excited about remakes of games, when nothing changes but the graphics and a few new dungeons (GBA version). If you're saying that this is a game that you can replay all the time, is it really necessary to get yet another version of the same game, when you have the other versions, or can use emulators to play all three of them if you're to cheap to buy them? The only remake made by Square that was worthy of noting was Romancing Saga (the original game was just awful), since they actually REMADE the entire game instead of just upgrading graphics or adding some random crap.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 07:31 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:31 PM #35 of 313
I like the way they're re-releasing all the old FF games. VII was the first to get a PAL release so I've never actually played anything older than VI (Which I played on the PS1). I'm sure there are also plenty of younger gamers who never played the early one either. I'll probably think about picking these up somewhere down the line second hand or something.

kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:00 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 09:00 AM 1 #36 of 313
Spoony Bard! Ha ha! This game is going to own! Best Final Fantasy (2D) ever.

ZealPath
Moments in Love

Member 1926

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:07 AM #37 of 313
wow... wow... here's hoping this makes it to a system other than DS.

ashmountains
anberlin <3

Member 1835

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:32 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 01:32 AM #38 of 313
I really hope that they somehow remake all the FF's up till IX. Sprite-form or 3D, I don't mind either.

Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:43 PM #39 of 313
OMG. I just found out about this now because of this thread. My favorite game of all time too!!!!!!!!

How ya doing, buddy?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:06 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 11:06 PM #40 of 313
Wow, Cecil totally looks like shit on those images :O

Meh, and I haven't even got around buying V and VI for the advance yet. Although FF3DS was a nice addition, I do prefer sprite over polygon. Won't buy this probably.

Although.. Tellah.

FUCKING TELLAH!

Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 07:17 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 05:17 PM #41 of 313
That doesn't even make sense.
I wrote that sentence ungoodly. I meant that the choice of not releasing a DS version could make a PS3 version more appealing.

Kalekkan
Chocobo

Member 697

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 08:19 PM #42 of 313
I vaguely remember reading an article on rpgfan.com a few months ago mentioning that SE was intending on increasing the volume of titles they would be releasing and one of the things that they wanted to do was to train junior and entry level programmers out on a lot of the remake titles. If there's any truth to that statement then we can expect a lot more remakes in the future.

Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 12:18 AM #43 of 313
I just realized that one of the worst things about FF3 DS was the reduction in total ENEMIES in one battle. Usually, you fight 1, 2 or 3 enemies in one battle. On the NES, there were often 4-9 enemies.

I hope that FF4 is not botched in that matter.

I am MAINLY looking forward to the new cinematics, translation, and overall experience in the best video game storyline I have ever read.

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 12:25 AM #44 of 313
It kind of amazes me how blatant SE's business model has become.

But I'd probably still buy it, even though I picked up the GBA version last year. It's amazing how expensive nostalgia becomes.

Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:48 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 01:48 PM #45 of 313
If they ever remade these old games for the PS3, I would hope to god that it was all 6 of the early games on 1 disc. However, knowing SE, they'll do a single disc for each game in order to maximize profits.

Me, I'm wanting less remakes and more new games. I guess I am getting the new game part of my wish, so we'll see how that turns out.

Malahk Angel
Hooray Beer!

Member 9195

Level 8.84

Jun 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 05:44 PM #46 of 313
Dear sweet merciful toast. My reason to snag a DS has arrived.

Normally, I wouldn't bother giving two shits about a re-re-re-remake, but since FFIV was what got me into the FF series in the first place, I do believe this news gave me a chill.

If there is evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:30 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 12:30 AM #47 of 313
Here's some more news.

Here's the website!!
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/
The piano music is beautiful.

My friend sent me this information below on aim, can anyone confirm?

The original version apparently only included about 25% of the intended script. Thankfully, the DS version will include the remaining 75% of the original concept.

Quote:
Similar to the DS version of Final Fantasy III released last year, FFIV DS will be a total overhaul of the original, featuring full 3D graphics, redesigned characters and monsters, and new dramatic cutscenes. Aside from its graphics, FFIV for the DS is said to feature many new elements, including an "evolved" version of its active battle system.
- From: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/s...s&subj=6170682

FELIPE NO
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Last edited by Andrew Evenstar; May 18, 2007 at 03:36 AM.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:37 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 01:37 AM #48 of 313
So all they need to do now is make 2D versions of FFVII-X. I'm still waiting for PS3 quality remakes of all the games thus far (pre XIII of course).

Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 10:45 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 08:45 AM #49 of 313
New dramatic cut scenes and expanded dialogue? I don't even feel dirty about inteding to buy this game anymore. I really can't wait to see how they improve upon the already massive drama in the story.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 12:22 PM Local time: May 18, 2007, 09:22 AM #50 of 313
Here's some more good info

Quote:
In somewhat of a surprising revelation, Tokita disclosed to Famitsu that only one-fourth of the original scenario made it into the Super Famicom title! The remake will see some areas fleshed out while others will be cut.

The two discussed some of the ways that game will make use of the DS. First off, they're working on ways to utilize the dual screens. During battle, the help window can be displayed larger thanks to the second screen. During dungeons, the bottom screen is used for an auto mapping feature. You can make your character move by touching the map with the stylus. While the D-pad is the main means of movement this time around, there will be some stylus-based mini games.

Tokita revealed that there are some big plans under way to make players play a second time. This is not limited to just restarting a game in a powerful condition, explained Asano.

Famitsu reports that one of the focuses with the remake project is to replicate the look of the original while making the move to 3D. Some areas will remain unaltered, including the number of enemies that appear in battle.

Most amazing jew boots
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Final Fantasy IV 3D DS