Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Is there anything wrong with having a faith?

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:10 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2010, 08:10 PM #1 of 16
There's nothing wrong with believing that higher powers exist, just like there's nothing wrong with believing that life is worth living. You can't prove these beliefs, they are personal judgements that may be scientifically indefensible but are quite valuable to those that hold them.

It's only a socially "bad" thing when people use it to do harm. If you tell someone that their life is so valuable they shouldn't ever end it, even if they're in horrible pain and have no chance of recovery, that is abusing the widely-held belief that life is worth living. We all know how easily the human desire to find or interact with higher powers has been abused.

I don't think you should categorically throw out something just because some people have abused it.

I wasn't brought up Christian, but I liked to read a lot as a young child and came about a vague concept of God and stuck with it because there is something about it that appeals to me. I still hold the belief that God exists. I don't feel like I need it, and probably wouldn't feel like such an outcast sometimes if I didn't have it (some of my friends can be a bit militant about their atheism) but it's a very deep part of me that I think would be painful to cut out, and I don't want to do that. I don't think anyone has the right to guilt or pressure me into changing something about myself that I like and that doesn't hurt them. (Also I automatically feel defensive when someone thinks they know what's best for me and to change me, but that's another issue.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Is there anything wrong with having a faith?