Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

This Wednesday scientists will work to recreate the big bang

Eschbach
Legions

Member 31660

Level 4.22

Sep 2008

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:31 PM #1 of 106
Exclamation This Wednesday scientists will work to recreate the big bang

Source

Quote:

(CNN) -- Deep underground on the border between France and Switzerland, the world's largest particle accelerator complex will explore the world on smaller scales than any human invention has explored before.

The collider's ALICE experiment will look at how the universe formed by analyzing particle collisions.

The Large Hadron Collider will look at how the universe formed by analyzing particle collisions. Some have expressed fears that the project could lead to the Earth's demise -- something scientists say will not happen. Still, skeptics have filed suit to try to stop the project.

It even has a rap dedicated to it on YouTube.

Scientists say the collider is finally ready for an attempt to circulate a beam of protons the whole way around the 17-mile tunnel. The test, which takes place Wednesday, is a major step toward seeing if the the immense experiment will provide new information about the way the universe works.

"It's really a generation that we've been looking forward to this moment, and the moments that will come after it in particular," said Bob Cousins, deputy to the scientific leader of the Compact Muon Solenoid experiment, one of six experiments inside the collider complex. "September 10 is a demarcation between finishing the construction and starting to turn it on, but the excitement will only continue to grow."

The collider consists of a particle accelerator buried more than 300 feet near Geneva, Switzerland. About $10 billion have gone into the accelerator's construction, the particle detectors and the computers, said Katie Yurkewicz, spokewoman for CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, which is host to the collider.

In the coming months, the collider is expected to begin smashing particles into each other by sending two beams of protons around the tunnel in opposite directions. It will operate at higher energies and intensities in the next year, and the experiments could generate enough data to make a discovery by 2009, experts say.
I find it disturbing that this isn't even close to front page news. Britney Spears at the VMA's is far more important than possibly proving the existence of other dimensions, right? The media infuriates me.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm anxious as all hell.

PS: I also find it slightly annoying that CNN felt it was necessary to point out that there is a "rap video dedicated to this event on YouTube".

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:34 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 11:34 AM #2 of 106
This isn't front page news? Everyone I know has been taking about this for ages already.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:48 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 10:48 AM #3 of 106
Originally Posted by Mass Effect
"You want my personal opinion? Labs like that exist to do stupid crap that gets people killed."
Here we go.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:49 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 07:49 PM #4 of 106
PS: I also find it slightly annoying that CNN felt it was necessary to point out that there is a "rap video dedicated to this event on YouTube".
The video rocks, actually.

YouTube Video

Additional Spam:
Where do we go? What the hell is that?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Last edited by Aardark; Sep 8, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:53 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 10:53 AM #5 of 106
To uncertainty, genius.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:01 PM #6 of 106
Like Deni said. People I know have been talking about it for a long time.

There was a thread about it already a couple of months ago, too.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, anyways. No matter how unlikely, even if we -do- tear open some kind of black hole or some shit, we'll be dead so fast, it wouldn't even matter.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:06 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 11:06 AM #7 of 106
I wouldn't jump to conclusions, anyways.
Pretty much best not to, but it doesn't mean I can't cower like a bitch in the meantime!

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:11 PM #8 of 106
Scientists across the world are doing terrifying experiments every day. Maybe not to this extent financially and as large-scale (I imagine this took a long, long time to get moving), but still.

Science, you know.

DNA experiments terrify me a lot more, honestly.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:13 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 08:13 PM #9 of 106
Entering a black hole is absolutely my preferred method of death. Can you imagine how cool that would be? You don't even know. You might see the whole timeline of the universe pass you by.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:15 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 11:15 AM #10 of 106
I want to hit the age of dash boots and arm cannons before that time, though, Aardark!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:22 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 12:22 PM 3 #11 of 106
Like Deni said. People I know have been talking about it for a long time.

There was a thread about it already a couple of months ago, too.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions, anyways. No matter how unlikely, even if we -do- tear open some kind of black hole or some shit, we'll be dead so fast, it wouldn't even matter.
I imagine whatever hole we're all getting sucked into would be clogged by you.

So on the behalf of the human race, I preemptively thank you for preventing our mutual destruction.

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:24 PM #12 of 106
I imagine whatever hole we're all getting sucked into would be clogged by you.

So on the behalf of the human race, I preemptively thank you for preventing our mutual destruction.
You're welcome. <3

How ya doing, buddy?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:58 PM #13 of 106
Entering a black hole is absolutely my preferred method of death. Can you imagine how cool that would be? You don't even know. You might see the whole timeline of the universe pass you by.
It would be hard for you to see the timeline of the universe pass when your eyes have been deconstructed into their component parts.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 01:59 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 12:59 PM 6 #14 of 106
Hmm, I've been meaning to clean my apartment, but I think that I'll put that off until Thursday, just in case.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 04:51 PM 1 #15 of 106
They haven't responded to my emails, I've been trying to tell them for the longest time that if I stand next to the collider the effect of the black hole will be negligible. ;_;

FELIPE NO
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:04 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2008, 12:04 AM #16 of 106
Funny how the title of the thread has nothing to do with the sort-of-misquoted piece of that particular news story. I'm sorry to be the one to say this, the world will not end this year, or in December 2012. =(

But the Higgs's boson. That'll give out some information on... well, everything. Read your particle physics homework, boys and girls, it's about to get very bumpy on the field of science!

Yes, I went there. =(

Most amazing jew boots
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:22 PM 1 #17 of 106
I don't have any particle physics homework, and my studies are taking me a completely different direction in science.

This possible huge discovery, though...is quite exciting to me. It's the kind of experiment that inspires the minds of scientists in research with possibility and openness. I imagine this is how I would feel if I was a scientist contemporary of Einstein, Bohr, Oppenheimer and their ilk!

It's like seeing Paganini live

Returned
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:25 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2008, 12:25 AM #18 of 106
It would be hard for you to see the timeline of the universe pass when your eyes have been deconstructed into their component parts.
When those component parts reach the singularity, they merge with the totality of information contained therein and achieve a transcendent form of consciousness.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:42 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 03:42 PM 5 #19 of 106
We're fucked.

Spoiler:

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:50 PM #20 of 106
When those component parts reach the singularity, they merge with the totality of information contained therein and achieve a transcendent form of consciousness.
You mean LiveJournal?

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:03 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 05:03 PM 1 1 #21 of 106
We're fucked.

Spoiler:
You mean LiveJournal?
Those jokes were so not funny, I'm pretty sure I heard John Stamos tell them at a celebrity roast.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:29 PM #22 of 106
So, Deni...how about the possibly marvelous correlation in particle physics?

Do you care?

Returned
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 06:48 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 05:48 PM 3 2 #23 of 106
So, Deni...how about the possibly marvelous correlation in particle physics?

Do you care?
What's the matter, Princess? Annoyed because I dissed you for comparing what is possibly the most important experiment in modern history to a guy who played the violin?

And no, I don't care at all about the LHC. I don't care that a 10 billion dollar particle accelerator is looking to map out the forces at work during the big bang. I don't care in the slightest about the Higgs Boson particle, or the role it will play in the future of research in the field. I don't care about the fact it may prove of disprove supersymmetry, and in the process either support or damage the idea of string theory. I don't care about the fact we may find Dark Matter, or at least produce it.

I don't care at all about the field of physics. Not in the slightest.

In future, Princess, assume when I diss you it's because you were making an ass of yourself and I felt the obviousness of why you were getting dissed made it unnecessary to explain it in an actual post, not because you're too deep for the room.

How ya doing, buddy?

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:03 PM 1 #24 of 106
Yes, I compared the experiment to Paganini. It's a comparison of the level of inspiration felt by the Romantic authors and musicians who saw the man playing and were inspired. He directly influenced most of the music of the 19th Century.

If you can't draw a correlation to discovery in the arts and discovery in the sciences, then that's too bad for you. I understand the fundamental importance of this experiment. Thus, I told of my excitement on par with scientists doing research in the earliest discoveries of quantum mechanics, where things that were so new and fresh were being discovered. It makes me want to discover, also.

And, to answer your question, yes! It's quite annoying to have some random guy be a jerk to you for no reason. We don't think on the same level. I don't think you need to attempt to belittle me and call me out on things you really don't seem to understand.

So, at any rate...

Do you guys think there would be any sort of principal application to us if in fact we do prove or disprove our operating theories of everything?

I'm specifically curious about how a supposed "Theory of Everything" could be applied to computational fields like quantum mechanics (using computers and the like). I mean, since a huge problem in solving systems (say, a protein's movements and conformational changes over 1 nanosecond) is uncertainty, does a proven theory of everything serve to eliminate those uncertainties? Any theoretical physicists in the house?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:08 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2008, 06:08 PM 2 #25 of 106
Your simile would have worked better if you compared it to a Panini instead.

Delicious.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > This Wednesday scientists will work to recreate the big bang