Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Final Fantasy IV: The After

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:25 PM 2 1 #26 of 52
"I hope this game is on a console with a controller that I like!"

"YOU FILTHY MOTHERFUCKER!"

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jan 29, 2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: god love you Prime but some things aren't worth dying for
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:37 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 08:37 PM #27 of 52
One would imagine that during the negotiations Square would estimate how much money they'd make releasing multi-platform and then ask Microsoft to pay something approaching what they're missing out on to secure exclusivity.

I mean, that's the way I'd do it and one would hope the deal makers at a company like Square have at least as much business sense as I do.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:02 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 08:02 PM 1 #28 of 52
Hey I'm posting in this thread to which I have nothing to contribute.

BUT I AM AIMING TO TAKE THE PISS OUT OF SOMEONE I DISAGREE WITH WITHOUT ACTUALLY ENGAGING IN ANYTHING VAGUELY CLOSE TO A DISCUSSION.

Did I do it right Pang?

Additional Spam:
I have never said that it should be on one console over the other. I said I'd like to play the game on the Wii, because I like the feel of the Classic controller. I'd rather not play 2D RPGs using the bulky X360 controller.
Fair enough, and looking back I evidently misread the posts leading up to that, so I apologise. But don't just jump to the conclusion that people are ganging up on you just because multiple people disagree with various points you've made.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Jan 29, 2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:10 PM 2 1 #29 of 52
A guy says he would prefer a game on platform X. Somebody asks why. He says because of the controller. This, somehow, erupts in a massive wave of indignation on your part because you assume via some magical leap of logic that he will therefore use his mighty god hand to enforce his controller-preferring will on the masses and disenfranchise everyone else, the bastard!

A man likes a controller and you are having a screaming fit over it. Do try to have some perspective. You're not a bad guy, but you need to be more careful reading the posts you respond to or get more sleep or something.

hth!

looking back I evidently misread the posts leading up to that, so I apologise.
O hey, problem solved, thanks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:37 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 09:37 PM 2 #30 of 52
(although I haven't played 8, 9, 11 yet)
Final Fantasy 11 is for idiots, don't play that!

You should definitely play Final Fantasy 9, though!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:14 PM 13 #31 of 52
SQUARE ENIX PRESS RELEASE!!!!!!!

Final Fantasy IV: The Reckoning exclusive to the LeapsterĀ®2 Learning System will be a text based dating game 'slash' train simulator (driven by Cid of course) where all characters are Rydia (even Cid). There will be lots of silk and moon-gravity physics. In extra mode you can do limbo dance battle with aliens at the local castle rocket oasis. It'll be rated E for Everyone except for you Daniel. You're grounded, mister.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Miho
Chocobo

Member 13767

Level 12.83

Oct 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:17 PM #32 of 52
LOL Blanket. Acer wins this thread. I'm buying that day one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:19 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2009, 03:19 PM 1 #33 of 52
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey

Final Fantasy IV: The Reckoning exclusive to the LeapsterĀ®2 Learning System will be a text based dating game 'slash' train simulator (driven by Cid of course) where all characters are Rydia (even Cid). There will be lots of silk and moon-gravity physics. In extra mode you can do limbo dance battle with aliens at the local castle rocket oasis. It'll be rated E for Everyone except for you Daniel. You're grounded, mister.
That's better. Now my world makes sense again.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:01 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 02:01 AM 2 #34 of 52
So apparently Square trademarked "The After Years" for PSN, XBL & Wii-ware or whatever it's called.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2009, 06:50 PM Local time: May 28, 2009, 05:50 PM #35 of 52
So, first episode drops on WiiWare on monday.

Nothing on pricing structure yet.

I'm starting a betting pool on price per episode.

800 Wii points times 9 episodes seems about right for S-E.

Any takers?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; May 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: WII POINTS. Not MSP. I thought this would be obvious but you never know.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2009, 08:32 PM Local time: May 28, 2009, 08:32 PM #36 of 52
So is this Wii-exclusive, a timed exclusive or?

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2009, 12:18 AM Local time: May 28, 2009, 10:18 PM #37 of 52
Wii "exclusive". It could change, but I doubt demand for a cell phone RPG on other consoles is all that high.

Who knows though, Crystal Defenders found its way to multiplatform.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2009, 12:23 AM Local time: May 28, 2009, 11:23 PM #38 of 52
On the other hand, Crystal Defenders is in a similar situation, and that's either out or coming out soon for all three.

I can't imagine it doing that hot regardless though, I agree.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; May 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:06 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 08:06 PM #39 of 52
Skills, looks like you were half-right with that 800 Wii Points guess.

Checking out the game's instruction manual on the Shop Channel, the main story is 800 points. After purchasing that, you are given the open to download "Additional Character Tales" that tell the stories of the various returning members of the IV cast. These cost 300 points a pop, seven altogether. The third and last section is "The Crystals 'The Planet Eater'" scenario which, judging by the diagram, acts as the game's final chapter and will likely cost another 800 points. So... 800 x 2 + 300 x 7 = 3700, or 37 bucks.

That's still a ripoff for a cellphone game, but far more reasonable than $72.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:38 PM #40 of 52
Well, I bit. Despite it being overpriced for a cellphone game my curiosity got the better of me, and I bought it this afternoon.

I'm not very far, but holy christ is the encounter rate high. It's not uncommon to hit a string of encountering battles every three steps. That's really annoying in the first dungeon with Ceodore since he can usually kill 4 enemies before any of them get a chance to attack even though he's alone. You're in no danger, but they decided to use this as a way to force you into leveling up. The second area with Cecil is a bit better on the difficulty since groups of enemies will actually attack you, but it's still not difficult.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:48 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2009, 12:48 PM #41 of 52
Tell us how it goes. I resisted the urge to buy it yesterday since I had no opinions on it.

Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 06:02 PM #42 of 52
I really like the game so far. I have been playing for about 4 hours now. Encounter rate IS high and I'm guessing they're trying to keep the same "difficultly" level as the original FF4 SNES Japanese version. In fact the feeling it's like you're playing a FF4 SNES game plus audio and music quality from FF4DS and support widescreen.

The game is initially $8 but including the add-on and how far I'm loving the game I'll say it's worth $37. Time for me to go buy some more Wii Points.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:11 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2009, 11:11 PM #43 of 52
Downloaded the main game, I'll see if it keeps my interest long enough to warrant the add-ons. Anyway, this is... pretty standard fare. The "Band" concept is sort of interesting-- it's almost like they were trying to replicate the Dual and Triple Tech aspect from Chrono Trigger, without enemies being able to move around. Was that in Final Fantasy IV? I've barely touched it, so I wouldn't know.

Game looks fucked up pretty bad on a big HDTV, though. The picture warps as it scrolls along, and everything is blurry as hell (with the exception of menu boxes which are jarringly crisp). But really, what would you expect?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2009, 03:25 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2009, 12:25 AM #44 of 52
So anyways I am probably the biggest FFIV fan along with another member named BORG on here.

The whole game has been leaked for people with the homebrew channel.

I like the game so far. I would have rather them not made a sequel, but so far its better than I thought it would be.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:14 AM #45 of 52
Game looks fucked up pretty bad on a big HDTV, though. The picture warps as it scrolls along, and everything is blurry as hell (with the exception of menu boxes which are jarringly crisp).
I don't know about you but the game looks fine for me on a HDTV.

The whole game has been leaked for people with the homebrew channel.
And by the looks of it you can buy the "Character Tales" in packs thus saving you some money. I don't know exactly how much you'll save but this is good nevertheless.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:09 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 10:09 AM 1 #46 of 52
So anyways I am probably the biggest FFIV fan along with another member named BORG on here...

...I would have rather them not made a sequel
I don't really get this. If you're one of the biggest fans of the game ever, why would you not want a company to produce a sequel? I'm probably one of the more outspoken fans of Too Human here and I'd be stoked if a sequel was ever made (It won't be but I can dream) as I'd get to experience the game again only with a fresh story and enhancements. Likewise, I'm rather childishly excited about the announcement of Crackdown 2, having really enjoyed the first one and wanting to play something the same but with a new city and weapons and stuff. I really enjoyed FFXII and I'd love it if SE released another FF with the same battle system.

I can't understand why if you liked something you'd rather there wasn't more of it.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:07 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 08:07 AM #47 of 52
I think he's trying to say he loves it so much he wants it to be left alone. That way, they can't fuck up the story or characters.

Anyway, if you want another game with Final Fantasy XII's battle system, you should go look at Monado: Beginning of the World. Not entirely sure yet, but it looks almost exactly the same.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:45 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 04:45 PM 1 #48 of 52
I've never really understood that stance either to be honest. I appreciate that perhaps in the case of rpgs, it's the story and characters that people are into more than the game system itself (Although as I'm currently playing through FFIV, unless it suddenly throws a curve-ball storywise towards the end it's pretty fucking predictable fare, the story can't have taken more than a morning to write so how badly could they possibly rape the memory of the characters?) but I've just never been of the opinion that releasing a sequel to something lessens the original.

It might not improve on it but in that case, you just don't play it. The very presence of a sequel can't possibly make me enjoy something less. The same applies to films and books and anything there's likely to be a sequel of. Does the existence of Return of the Jedi make Empire Strikes Back a worse film? Does Godfather 3 getting made make the first two parts worse films? No, of course not, no more than the hundreds of shitty Sonic games to have come out recently make the first couple worse or the horrific open-world gameplay of Burnout Paradise makes Burnout Revenge worse (Actually in that case it does because everyone stopped playing it online to play Paradise but that doesn't count as FF isn't online).

I think saying you're a fan of something then saying you'd rather they'd not made more of them is a little melodramatic is all.

How ya doing, buddy?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:00 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 11:00 AM #49 of 52
I think it's the idea that you're fucking up the memory if you produce a bad sequel (like with the case of Nights... Into Dreams and its sequel). Or worse, implementing some sort of change that meddles with the story of a previous entry retroactively (like the Fourth Dimension in Star Ocean 3).

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:42 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2009, 11:42 AM #50 of 52
I sit along in the "eh~, I was happy with the original and the sequel wouldn't have been necessary" camp, but having seen what's come out of Square-Enix with this project so far, I will happily fork over the amount of money to own this game as soon as I have disposable income.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Final Fantasy IV: The After