Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] Who ya gonna call?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:27 AM #26 of 50
By looking at the gameplay, it looked as if that was Louis Tulley as the controlled Ghostbuster.

Despite it being the same few clips shown over and over, the game looks pretty damn good. I can't wait to see what the renderings of everyone looks like.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zeal
I'm back lol.

Member 4597

Level 9.94

Apr 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:32 AM #27 of 50
watched a gameplay video and the physics are somehow good as hell.

How ya doing, buddy?
boltzman84
Hardcore Gamer

Member 15772

Level 7.08

Nov 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:50 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 08:50 PM #28 of 50
Holy crap....those pictures are amazing. Every new screenshot/video adds to the overall excitement. I think gamers have been waiting for a good Ghostbusters game since the NES.

How ya doing, buddy?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:34 PM #29 of 50
*bump*

Updated with a new trailer released Dec 3rd.

IGN Video: Ghostbusters: The Video Game PlayStation 3 Trailer - Disaster Trailer

The game is looking pretty damn good actually.

There were some problems with Activion's aquisition of Sierra and Ghostbusters being one of the games they ended up dropping. Atari picked up the rights and will be releasing this June of next year for Ghostbuster's 25th anniversary (can't believe it's been that long)

I was speaking idiomatically.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:56 PM #30 of 50
Uh, why does Winston look like Ludacris.

I boycott this shit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:00 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2008, 01:00 AM #31 of 50
My dear god, I love the boxart that Infernal Monkey posted, exactly what it should be.

I definitely want to try this game when it hits. If only to reclaim part of my childhood in some small way.

FELIPE NO
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:28 PM #32 of 50
Well I'm bumping this... mainly because it came out last week.

Having got my copy yesterday, I'll have to say that this is probably one of the best games I've played in a LONG time.

The controls are pretty good. Sure it takes a bit to get used to throwing around the stream and not crossing them but once you get a hang of it, it is really fun. I also hate trying to dodge the other busters' streams as I at times get hit.

The game is pretty brutal at times. You'll get swarmed quite a few times in cramped areas.

Story is good too, taking place 2 years after sliming the whole city trying to get it to love everyone. You're a new recruit assigned to the team (and test subject for their experimental equipment) and just run around the city busting ghosts. Supernatural shit happens when a Gozer exhibit is brought to the museum. Lots of mass hysteria and it is quite possible that rivers and seas will be boiling.

Haven't played much of it (Only got to the second stage) but its one that when I do have time to sit down and play, I'm lovin every minute.

Anyone else got this and played the multiplayer? Was curious how that handled.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:02 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2009, 07:02 PM #33 of 50
Am I the only one who thinks this game feels a lot like Gears of War with Slimer? Don't get me wrong, it's not a knock on the game. In fact, the game is pretty fucking good considering I was expecting a cheap licensed shitpile. It's a little rough in the controls and wrangling ghosts in feels like trying to reel in an exceptionally large bass with a kiddie fishing pole but it's all part of the show. I might pick this up soon for the hell of it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:57 AM #34 of 50
My only complaint is

1.) Bill Murray's acting goes from stellar to crap in the span of one line. Many times.

2.) The second half of the game seems to fall into more "video game cliches" - level then a boss. Thats not a bad thing per se, but the earlier levels make you feel like you're in a goddamned Ghostbusters movie.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2009, 03:17 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2009, 03:17 AM #35 of 50
My only complaint is

1.) Bill Murray's acting goes from stellar to crap in the span of one line. Many times.
You know, watching my friend play and listening to him, I really thought he was phoning it in. But looking back at the movies, part of it might be that a lot of Murray's comedy was in his wry facial expressions. They really couldn't get that across in the game, so they just played it as straight smiles and frowns, and the whole thing suffered for it.

As for the gameplay, it might be because I watched someone else playing for the better part of 4 hours, but after seeing it in action, I'm really glad I didn't buy it. It seems much too repetitive, for one, and finicky in terms of difficulty, for another.

The whole silent protagonist thing bothered me, too. I feel like they could have just allowed the player to pick which of the original 4 characters they wanted to use at the beginning of each level and it would have been better. Maybe bring in some RPG style character progression or character perks (Ray notices cursed artifacts better, Egon comes with better PKE knowledge, etc) to spice it up a little.

I might get it when it becomes a bargain title, but I'm not really thrilled with how it turned out, to be honest.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:04 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2009, 12:04 PM #36 of 50
I definitely agree with the whole Bill Murray phoning it in sort of acting. Especially later in the game where the things he says just seem oddly timed.

For the rest of the game though I really enjoyed it. Though it was weird how they gave you new functions to the weapons. I expected them to go into techno explainations between stages and be like, "We've outfitted your pack with such and such thing, it blah blah blah blah" not to be going through the stage and oh, whoops, we added something new to your pack, and the model just changes out of no where.

My biggest peev about the game though wasn't even that important. It was after the ending sequence when they cut to the ghostbusters logo. Great, beautiful, but then while it was only partially into the theme, the music cut, the screen went black, and it went straight to the credits. What, was the game getting too expensive for you so you had to skimp out on transitional effects and couldn't use the full ghostbusters theme?

Other than that, the difficulty ramping unexpectantly(Damn you stone angels) and a few weird bugs/glitches the game was actually really enjoyable.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:09 AM 1 #37 of 50
I'm really glad I didn't buy it. It seems much too repetitive, for one
Every video game ever made is "repetitive". This complaint was started by the lowest shit-steam idiot on the internet and spread because people need to find imperfections in anything - even if it means making a totally invalid complaint.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:49 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2009, 10:49 PM #38 of 50
If you don't understand why this game is fun, you never saw the original ghostbusters.

See the argument about the new Indiana Jones movie for why you're being twats.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:14 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2009, 12:14 AM 1 #39 of 50
Every video game ever made is "repetitive". This complaint was started by the lowest shit-steam idiot on the internet and spread because people need to find imperfections in anything - even if it means making a totally invalid complaint.
Recap?
Recap.

"I'm against all the things that everybody hates!"
:crowd cheers:
:SMUG:

LeHah, stop being awful at posting. If one comment about a video game that you happen to like shoving up your sphincter every night is equivalent to pissing in your cornflakes, you need to either go back to gamefaqs, or find a new hobby.

Christ. God forbid you should take into account that my response was perfectly reasonable in the context of a discussion on a fucking video game, or that irrespective of your personal feelings on video games, there is a threshold that everyone has when they play video games, and some games make you hit that threshold faster than others.

Is there anything you'd like to discuss intelligently, or are you going to toss out another brilliant gem about 'those damn kids, with their damn hip-hop.' Because this buzzword strawman bullshit you keep pulling may get you props but it doesn't make you any smarter than you were five minutes ago.

FELIPE NO
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 02:05 AM #40 of 50
Recap?
Recap.

"I'm against all the things that everybody hates!"
:crowd cheers:
:SMUG:

LeHah, stop being awful at posting. If one comment about a video game that you happen to like shoving up your sphincter every night is equivalent to pissing in your cornflakes, you need to either go back to gamefaqs, or find a new hobby.

Christ. God forbid you should take into account that my response was perfectly reasonable in the context of a discussion on a fucking video game, or that irrespective of your personal feelings on video games, there is a threshold that everyone has when they play video games, and some games make you hit that threshold faster than others.

Is there anything you'd like to discuss intelligently, or are you going to toss out another brilliant gem about 'those damn kids, with their damn hip-hop.' Because this buzzword strawman bullshit you keep pulling may get you props but it doesn't make you any smarter than you were five minutes ago.
Well he has a point, not necessarily saying that he is right about you and you are wrong. The good majority of video games are repetitive but unless its the type of repetitive that is headache inducing, its usually not a problem.

This game is much much better then I expected. It all depends on how you look at it. I felt the silent character you play worked well for the game. If you try to view this as the "Third" movie, it doesnt work out because of the silence from the character you play. Plus the game follows a formula many other games follow once it gets established. Not really a bad thing, just depends on how you view it.

I haven't dabbed into the multiplayer yet but the story mode was great the first time you go through it. I am not sure how well it will hold up when I try it again, but there are certainly worse games out there.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 07:13 AM #41 of 50
Christ. God forbid you should take into account that my response was perfectly reasonable in the context of a discussion on a fucking video game
Tell it to someone a little dumber than yourself. "Its repetitive" is an arguement made by people no one should talk to and it can never be construed as criticism. Your controller only has three directional pads and eight buttons - meaning that theres only a set number of things you can do with it. Nevermind that theres a learning curve for every game - doing something new constantly would be far too confusing for most people to keep up with.

The be-all evidence of you being an idiot Skexis is Half-Life 2: its a run-and-gun and nothing else. Anyone can pick that up, its a super-basic FPS and all you did was kill bad guys for the whole game and that was considered *innovative*.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:23 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2009, 11:23 AM #42 of 50
Tell it to someone a little dumber than yourself. "Its repetitive" is an arguement made by people no one should talk to and it can never be construed as criticism. Your controller only has three directional pads and eight buttons - meaning that theres only a set number of things you can do with it. Nevermind that theres a learning curve for every game - doing something new constantly would be far too confusing for most people to keep up with.

The be-all evidence of you being an idiot Skexis is Half-Life 2: its a run-and-gun and nothing else. Anyone can pick that up, its a super-basic FPS and all you did was kill bad guys for the whole game and that was considered *innovative*.
Again, unable to distinguish the difference between "always repetitive, all the time," and "when the intial excitement wore off, this bored me because I watched someone slam ghosts around for 10 minutes."

I don't have any special attachment to half-life 2. No one said anything about Half-Life 2. Why are you talking about other things when there is a perfectly good can of worms right in front of your face. If you think you can goad me by being specifically obtuse then you're wrong.

Additional Spam:
Well he has a point, not necessarily saying that he is right about you and you are wrong. The good majority of video games are repetitive but unless its the type of repetitive that is headache inducing, its usually not a problem.
And no, he doesn't have a point, unless you want to acknowledge anyone who comes along and says things like "Movies are repetitive! Baking is repetitive! Painting fence boards is repetitive!" and proceeds to miss the point of the entire exercise.

Some games are more boring to individuals than others. It's why there's more than one kind of game to begin with. SHOCKER.

Last edited by Skexis; Jul 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 04:12 PM #43 of 50
Again, unable to distinguish the difference between "always repetitive, all the time," and "when the intial excitement wore off, this bored me because I watched someone slam ghosts around for 10 minutes."
I'm so happy you're proud of your nonexistant attention span.

I don't have any special attachment to half-life 2. No one said anything about Half-Life 2. Why are you talking about other things when there is a perfectly good can of worms right in front of your face. If you think you can goad me by being specifically obtuse then you're wrong.
Jesus Christ you are slow.

My obtuse example was treating you like a mental equal. I was obviously wrong in doing that. I'll break it down since you're obviously some rare kind of idiot: People complain about repetition and yet the most acclaimed and supposedly innovative game since the turn of the century (Half Life 2) is nothing BUT repetition. Thats not a criticism of the game which I think is a lot of fun - but a statement of fact. Besides, who wants a game where every other level is a tutorial?

All video games are this way and they're made this way on purpose. Whats your favorite game ever? It falls into this category. What about the most timeless games ever made? Super Mario, Tetris, DooM, Pong, Excitebike, Contra... all those games are also repetitive; they all involve jumping on goombas, dropping blocks, shooting imps, bouncing balls, jumping dirt ramps and blowing up aliens over and over and over and over.

So how about you bother to come up with your own goddamned argument instead of jizzing your fucking short-labeled ignorance through your piss-hole of an attention span and actually bother to, you know, ascertain your own thoughts instead of using other people's words as an intellectual crutch?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2009, 05:03 PM #44 of 50
Not the environment, not the foes, not the difficulty, not the weapons etc.
Give me an example where this does not apply.

How ya doing, buddy?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:54 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 12:54 PM #45 of 50
My obtuse example was treating you like a mental equal. I was obviously wrong in doing that. I'll break it down since you're obviously some rare kind of idiot: People complain about repetition and yet the most acclaimed and supposedly innovative game since the turn of the century (Half Life 2) is nothing BUT repetition. Thats not a criticism of the game which I think is a lot of fun - but a statement of fact. Besides, who wants a game where every other level is a tutorial?

All video games are this way and they're made this way on purpose. Whats your favorite game ever? It falls into this category. What about the most timeless games ever made? Super Mario, Tetris, DooM, Pong, Excitebike, Contra... all those games are also repetitive; they all involve jumping on goombas, dropping blocks, shooting imps, bouncing balls, jumping dirt ramps and blowing up aliens over and over and over and over.

So how about you bother to come up with your own goddamned argument instead of jizzing your fucking short-labeled ignorance through your piss-hole of an attention span and actually bother to, you know, ascertain your own thoughts instead of using other people's words as an intellectual crutch?
Despite that you think this is such amazing material, I was busy talking about my specific experience with this game, and you try to turn it into a Homeric argument for the soul. Devo understands this. Most people who aren't 13 understand this. You're not going to find anyone ready to cringe at the thought of soylent green being people because we've figured it out already. Aside from that, if I can use a silly analogy to it's logical conclusion, we've just come to like the taste. Connoisseurs, if you will, of what we happen to be eating. Maybe I prefer it fried to being broiled in a white wine sauce! Who knows! But the point is you come in here with all your bluster and end up causing a 13 car pileup in the thread because you couldn't get the fuck over the fact that I used one word, even as I knew full well its implications.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 01:36 PM #46 of 50
Despite that you think this is such amazing material, I was busy talking about my specific experience with this game, and you try to turn it into a Homeric argument for the soul. Devo understands this. Most people who aren't 13 understand this. You're not going to find anyone ready to cringe at the thought of soylent green being people because we've figured it out already. Aside from that, if I can use a silly analogy to it's logical conclusion, we've just come to like the taste. Connoisseurs, if you will, of what we happen to be eating. Maybe I prefer it fried to being broiled in a white wine sauce! Who knows! But the point is you come in here with all your bluster and end up causing a 13 car pileup in the thread because you couldn't get the fuck over the fact that I used one word, even as I knew full well its implications.
You just wrote a paragraph that means absolutely nothing.

I marvel at it, truly.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 03:24 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 03:24 PM #47 of 50
You just wrote a paragraph that means absolutely nothing.

I marvel at it, truly.
I made an offhand comment.

You acted like a wounded puppy.

I tried to explain myself, and

you busied yourself going all you don't really understand video games when the truth is that I understand them perfectly well.

I just choose to set aside the entire debate on whether video games are repetitious or not for the purposes of talking about individual taste and what is fun, since the debate itself has no real relevance to my decision to pay or not to pay for a video game in the first place.

But!

Here! How's this!

Correction: our article that ran on June 22 had a misstatement. The word "repetitive" was used, but should have read "more repetitive than some other video games I have played, to the point where I did not want to spend $50 on it, nor did I want to continue playing it and could not in truth wring a single drop of entertainment from it other than to post about it on the internet and make LeHah cry. Soon, my master plan will come to fruition."

FELIPE NO
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2009, 04:04 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2009, 11:04 PM #48 of 50
Just finished the game on PC. I think it was pretty sweet.

- The engine has been bug-free through the entire game (not that it says much, with the length of the game in mind). It's still a brand new engine though, build from the ground up for this, so I did not expect it.
Physics engine works well too. Tethers are a blast to play around with for a while, stringing stuff together and nailing it to the walls and ceilings, until it comes flying everywhere and smashes to bits.

- The general game play ranges from fun to meh. The first part of the game makes you feel like a real Ghostbuster. Then the proton pack gets upgraded with your standard machine/shot gun abilities, and uncatchable enemies are lined up for your to mow down.
Bosses are interesting, but offer no challenge whatsoever in terms of figuring out how to take them down.
Exploring the world was the most fun aspect of the game for me.

- Being the official third installment in the Ghostbusters series, the narration and writing is all I could have hoped for. The humor is spot on, even if it's a bit silly and coarse at times. It fits the movies well (or that era). All in all I felt the original Ghostbusters spirit throughout.

If anyone used to be a Ghostbusters fan, but has doubts about the game. Don't.
If nothing else it's over fairly quickly, which makes it a perfect rental.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] Who ya gonna call?