Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] The Command & Conquer 3!! OMG! OMG! thread!

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 06:11 PM #1 of 113
The Command & Conquer 3!! OMG! OMG! thread!

If you haven't heard already, C&C 3 is official! Meaning this sequel will be in the Tiberium universe, and will be more serious than RA, and hopefully have a better story than Generals.

Here's a link:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetcnc...11&tid=1880941

There are some pics here if you scroll to the bottom:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showth...t=16462&page=2

I'm a big C&C fan, as Tiberian Dawn (the original C&C) was the first RTS game I had ever played and I still love it to this day. Red Alert was great, but it went downhill from there. Tiberian Sun had a great FMVs but the game was awful, RA2 was a lot better but no classic, while Generals was solid but it just wasn't "C&C."

I hope C&C3 delivers, but this will only happen if EA actually supports the game this time, and doesn't rush it out like they did with Generals. Bring back the FMVs with real actors (and Kane if possible), Frank Klepacki's music, good solid gameplay (no lag, and easily abusable multiplayer this time plz), and I'll be happy.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Newbie1234; Apr 19, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:21 PM #2 of 113
Hmm, this might make me want to go out and buy Comand and Conquer: The first Decade, which has all C&C games + expansions released to date. I'd download it, but its a whopping 7GBs.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:22 PM #3 of 113
Originally Posted by Turbo
Hmm, this might make me want to go out and buy Comand and Conquer: The first Decade, which has all C&C games + expansions released to date. I'd download it, but its a whopping 7GBs.
It's not even that expensive. It costs less than an average retail game.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 06:46 PM #4 of 113
Originally Posted by Turbo
Depending on which games you haven't played or are interested in replaying, First Decade may or may not be worth getting. Red Alert 2's singleplayer is definitely worth a play through if you have never done so, while Renegade can be really addictive you like it for what it is. I also really like the original and Red Alert 1, but they obviously don't hold up all that well these days.

Most amazing jew boots
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 04:51 PM #5 of 113
C&C 3 will probably be crap. For starters, Westwood Studios staff members don't even work at EALA anymore. The only remaining person is Louis Castle. Secondly, look how BFME2 turned out, boring and uninspired. It'll probably be the same for this. Not to mention the Orca looks like shit, and why is GDI back to using TANKS again?

Where the hell are my mechs?

EA can go to hell. C&C died with Westwood. Let it be.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:52 PM #6 of 113
Red alert 2 was awsome, same with the expansion. Renegade was... different. New game and all, but I liked the RTS version better. Tiberium Sun has to be my favortie though, with the expansion of course. I dont like the new ones =/, Generals for the most part... It stopped being C&C and became some new game. It didnt even have the same game mechanics.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:20 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 05:20 PM #7 of 113
Tiberian Sun.

For the record, it's the Brotherhood of Nod. (Not NOD as someone will undoubtedly spell it as.)

I like to nitpick with my favorite game series of all time.

FELIPE NO

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:40 PM #8 of 113
Sigh. So the day I dreaded for so long has finally come. I'm not sure if it's good or bad news.

I loved Tiberian Dawn, the first C&C. I actually re-played the campaigns recently. I also loved Red Alert. Tiberian Sun, on the other hand, was average at best. The cutscenes just weren't what I expected. I don't want third person stuff. As for the game itself, it wasn't too good either. And I didn't like the way the story progressed very much. The way I remember Tiberian Sun, Kane didn't made an impression anywhere near what I got from him in Tiberian Dawn. It just wasn't the same.

So, right now, what I'm most concerned about isn't the game itself or how they make the cutscenes, that stuff just depends on the work they put on the game. What I'm concerned about is how they'll fix the story. I'm not sure if I'd rather see them bring back Kane or not, even if I know they will (if you played "Firestorm", you know why). There's just no way they'll be able to make him as "good" as in the first C&C. Yet a C&C game without Kane is just about impossible. So in the end, it seems they're screwed no matter what. I'm not going to expect a good story.

Oh well, at least I'll probably still be able to ion cannon the shit out of a temple of Nod. That reminds me, I wish they'd make several endings for both GDI and the Brotherhood.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skwerl
Indigo 3

Member 200

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:45 PM #9 of 113

I fly under the code of knighthood. It's only natural since we are the descendants of the Belkan knights. We protect the meek and give our lives for honour, but that does not mean we are generous...since generosity would cost us our lives. If the pilot survived at the end of the war, he must've carried out these rules.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:31 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:31 PM #10 of 113
Nice find for the article. Seems like they still have a long way to go before the game's done...

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 11:08 PM #11 of 113
If I didn't know how different what you read in magazines or on websites can be from the actual finished product, I might be slightly excited by now.

Alas. EA will need to do more than that if they really want me to like that game. I do admit I am somewhat curious about that whole "Tiberium science bible" thing, however.

Most amazing jew boots
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 09:05 PM #12 of 113
Cautious optimisim is probably the best way to describe what I feel. I love the C&C series (it was one of the first computer games I ever played) for all its worth. But like Stealth said most (pretty much ALL) of the folks who made C&C into what it is have long left EALA, only Mr. Castle is left. So we'll have to see how the new team handles C&C3 (Tiberian Wars?). From the screens the game looks, well, really good as far as eye candy goes, but in terms of C&C flavor, something has been lost, those Mammoth Tanks just don't look really like the Mammoth tanks I grew up with, and those new soldiers suits, blah. Finally, WTF happened to all those hovertanks and the Titans? Did GDI recess back into tank tracks again? At least Kane is back (again!).

A Tiberian Science Bible? Backed by MIT? interesting. I can finally give my friends a plausible, scientific answer as to why I'm harvesting "lawn grass" to build my armies.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Yggdrasil; Apr 20, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Skwerl
Indigo 3

Member 200

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:57 AM #13 of 113
meh. As for the Tiberium bible, my prof will probably say, "this can be explained by wave-particle duality of quantum mechanic".

I fly under the code of knighthood. It's only natural since we are the descendants of the Belkan knights. We protect the meek and give our lives for honour, but that does not mean we are generous...since generosity would cost us our lives. If the pilot survived at the end of the war, he must've carried out these rules.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:50 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 01:50 PM #14 of 113
damn, c&c3 looks great! i wasn't aware that most of the original Westwood staff left, but it still seems like this game has potentional. the tiberian science bible will be quite interesting but why go all out with MIT just for that? guess it has to drag you more into the game
and yes, we need FMVs with real actors and Frank Klepacki's music

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:09 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:09 PM #15 of 113
I think this looks ugly as hell. The mecha design is horrible and totally generic. It looks like it features the original units from Tiberian Dawn but slightly altered so they look like shit. The soldiers also look extremely unrealistic, uninspired and interchangeable.

If anything, they should make a direct sequel/prequel to the first game with the same characters and units. When Westwood was bought by EA, Command & Conquer went downhill. You can't even call it a "universe" anymore with its dissonant installments.

How ya doing, buddy?
Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:19 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 01:19 AM #16 of 113
I think I’d enjoy a C&C3. Generals was OK, but it seemed dry and lacking the personality of previous entries to the series. If it’s not done well and appears to be just another Sci-Fi RTS, might as well kill off the franchise.

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:54 PM #17 of 113
C&C as a whole began to go down after Red Alert, in both gameplay as well as music. Frank Klepacki's best days where when he composed Red Alert. I still have my original Tiberian Dawn, as well as the 2-disc Red Alert as well as the Counterstrike and Aftermath expansion packs. I still play them to this day. Awesome stuff.

I'm a bit hesitant about the new game though. I figure I'll wait until they solidify more facts and details before saying this game will be the beat all C&C game.

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 05:26 PM #18 of 113
Originally Posted by Rock
I think this looks ugly as hell. The mecha design is horrible and totally generic. It looks like it features the original units from Tiberian Dawn but slightly altered so they look like shit. The soldiers also look extremely unrealistic, uninspired and interchangeable.
Sure the designs can be improved, but the graphics engine is fine in my opinion. I hope I'll be able to run the game without any hassle without having to upgrade my computer.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:31 PM #19 of 113
Originally Posted by Synthesis
C&C as a whole began to go down after Red Alert, in both gameplay as well as music. Frank Klepacki's best days where when he composed Red Alert. I still have my original Tiberian Dawn, as well as the 2-disc Red Alert as well as the Counterstrike and Aftermath expansion packs. I still play them to this day. Awesome stuff.

I'm a bit hesitant about the new game though. I figure I'll wait until they solidify more facts and details before saying this game will be the beat all C&C game.
Klepacki won't be working on the new C&C anyway. He works for Petroglyph now.

On the plus side, looks like fansites are already going up: http://www.tiberiumwar.com

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 06:50 PM #20 of 113
Command & Conquer really lost it's luster when EA took over Westwood, and the games since then have been little more than mediocre entertainment. C&C Generals didn't have much of anything that made it similar to it's predecessors save the basic RTS formula and the name. The unit designs look bland, and the soldiers look like near copies of the marines from Starcraft.

I don't have high hopes that this title will do anything to resurrect the series. It looks like another game to get when it's on the twenty dollar shelf.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 06:49 PM #21 of 113
From what I understand the graphics engine of the game is the same as the one that powered BFME I&II as well as Generals. Just a little more beefed up.

Hopefully the understanding that C&C is probably one of the most valuable frachises EA (EALA) holds right now will motivate them to do the best they can, although whoever came up with the whole infantry battlesuit concept needs to be blindfolded and shot for his/her shitty design. They look out of proportion and awkward, not to mention not very original, add a few more skulls and other macabre symbols and you have an Adeptus Astartes SM. Give him a gun any larger and you get a SC Marine like others have astutely pointed out. Stim-paks FTW.

Heres hoping at least BNOD will be able to maintain their style.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 11:49 AM #22 of 113
Generals was iffy, but I really don't trust EA's products. Heck, I'm still waiting on several BF2 patches.

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:23 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 07:23 PM #23 of 113
Originally Posted by Stealth
C&C 3 will probably be crap. For starters, Westwood Studios staff members don't even work at EALA anymore. The only remaining person is Louis Castle. Secondly, look how BFME2 turned out, boring and uninspired. It'll probably be the same for this. Not to mention the Orca looks like shit, and why is GDI back to using TANKS again?

Where the hell are my mechs?

EA can go to hell. C&C died with Westwood. Let it be.
I got something better.

Long ago Westwood said that the Tiberian saga has 3 episodes.
Tiberian Dawn, which tells how Tiberium started spreading
Tiberian Sun, which told the story of the post-apocalyptic Earth where Tiberium is at its prime.
Tiberian Twilight which would tell the story of how Tiberium is finally extuinguished.

Note how this game isn't called Tiberian Twilight anymore. It's called Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium War. Just another run in the mill episode instead of a gorgeus dramatic conclusion.

Their marketing bullshit also presents Kane is a megalomaniac super terrorist while the former games show him as a divine fanatic (and a genius for the matter, plus theres that small thing that he did not age a day between Red Alert (around the fifties) and Tiberian Sun (2030) that raises a question that he is not just a random guy bullshiting in the name of god).

They are turning the old C&C from an epic saga to a cashcow. They are going to ruin it because of that. Will Joe Kucan (the guy who plays Kane) even appear in the gorgeous FMVs? Will the game even HAVE any fmvs? Will it have the same incredibly simplified but breathtakingly good controls which was the trademark of every C&C game, or will we have to lelearn which mouse button is used for selecting units? Will the awesome tunes of Frank Klepacki will be there to further pump the mood of the games apocalyptic setting?

EA is not making a good game with C&C3. Only a sellable game. I can imagine now: the first mission will not present you with something wicked as "exterminate a civilian village" or to protect your base with commandos who just arrived on your base from orbit, it will have "commander. Use your mouse to navigate the camera".

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Oh, and what about Red Alert 3. That one was announced as being developed too, or something.

FELIPE NO
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 08:30 PM #24 of 113
For me, the one and only true Command & Conquer game was the original Tiberian Dawn.

Red Alert got me hyped but I lost interested after seeing that they magically had Mammoth Tanks in WWII, which were considered 'prototype' in Tiberian Dawn. The time machine crap was just a poor excuse for the graphics designers' inability to come up with new assets.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:39 PM #25 of 113
It's about time. It isn't C&C without GDI and the Brotherhood of Nod.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] The Command & Conquer 3!! OMG! OMG! thread!