Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] DS Guitar / Jam Sessions

Burp
Saving the world... but NOT for free

Member 10186

Level 12.97

Jul 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:22 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 08:22 PM #1 of 20
DS Guitar / Jam Sessions

http://www.dsguitar.jp/

Now you dont need to buy a guitar, or thats their trying to do: The company Plato Corp is releasing a game for DS that emulates the guitar with the touchscreen... the only bad thing is that its just that: A guitar simulator, its seems that doesnt have songs or something to "Play" with it, just plug in on an amplifier and thats its.

Weird...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Gamercafe.cl: Your source for game news in Spanish.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:52 PM #2 of 20
Nifty, I suppose, but I don't think it'll beat out Guitar Hero anytime soon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:59 PM #3 of 20
Just watched the video on the site. It looks great.

The DS is getting a nice library of music games now, with Electroplankton, Ouendan, EBA and Daigasso. This probably won't be released outside of japan, though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
dhsu87
Carob Nut

Member 9512

Level 4.85

Jul 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:02 PM #4 of 20
hmm interesting concept.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
MuppeTFuckeR
Chocobo

Member 4359

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:32 PM #5 of 20
Seems simple & intuitive and the sound is really good but they need some gameplay elements to give it some purpose.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:46 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 06:46 PM #6 of 20
What?? How are you supposed to play it like a real guitar?
How did he switch chords?

What is the large thing in the back on the DS~
I getting really curious ^_^

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:21 AM #7 of 20
Originally Posted by DjMeas
What?? How are you supposed to play it like a real guitar?
How did he switch chords?

What is the large thing in the back on the DS~
I getting really curious ^_^
That's a patch cord that plugs into the DS.

OH, that thing? Probably some sort of silly device. Maybe some form of RAM/RAM save.

FELIPE NO
Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:07 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:07 AM #8 of 20
Meh, seems fairly lame to me? Why the hell would you want to play with you DS when you could play with say, your actual guitar? Maybe if they make a game out of it. But if it's just to "play" it like it's a real life guitar, seems fairly lame. Like an add-on game on Warioware.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 05:11 AM #9 of 20
Originally Posted by Zyzex
Meh, seems fairly lame to me? Why the hell would you want to play with you DS when you could play with say, your actual guitar? Maybe if they make a game out of it. But if it's just to "play" it like it's a real life guitar, seems fairly lame. Like an add-on game on Warioware.
Every DS owner has a guitar.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:57 PM #10 of 20
Originally Posted by Elixir
Every DS owner has a guitar.
I dont, the only instrument I can account for is a clarinet I stole from some sorry fuck in HS.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:06 PM #11 of 20
Originally Posted by K_ Takahashi
I dont, the only instrument I can account for is a clarinet I stole from some sorry fuck in HS.
He was being sarcastic.

Anyhow, this program looks like shit. The guitar sounds like a standard midi keyboard, just adding in the strum "chicka chicka" noises. You could probably get better applications for a pocket pc.

The only way this could be worth 30-40 dollars is if it put a whole host of midi instruments at your disposal. You know, blow into the microphone for wind instruments, strum for guitar, hold at neck and move the stylus for violin, etc...

Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:52 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 09:52 AM #12 of 20
I like these music creation games much more than pointless rhythm games like Guitar Hero. This would come in handy for me sometimes when I can't play guitar because people are sleeping or something, just put some headphones on the DS. I have no idea how it will work though, the touch screen isn't even big enough to fit all the buttons necessory, though obviously it wont work like a normal fretboard since you can't touch more than one place at once on DS. I'm interested to see the interface.

Most amazing jew boots
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:28 PM #13 of 20
Originally Posted by Grubdog
I like these music creation games much more than pointless rhythm games like Guitar Hero. This would come in handy for me sometimes when I can't play guitar because people are sleeping or something, just put some headphones on the DS. I have no idea how it will work though, the touch screen isn't even big enough to fit all the buttons necessory, though obviously it wont work like a normal fretboard since you can't touch more than one place at once on DS. I'm interested to see the interface.
The video touched on it, you hold the D-pad in different directions, then you strum with the stylus. That's it. It's boring.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:50 AM #14 of 20
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
The video touched on it, you hold the D-pad in different directions, then you strum with the stylus. That's it. It's boring.
In my honest opinion (or my naiveness) I think it's still a tech demo. I don't think that there will only be an acoustic guitar mode. There probably will be a lot of other things.

Either way, even if it is only an acoustic guitar... it might be kind of pricy, especially for the DS patch cord and the mystery black box that's embedded on top of the DS cart.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 03:50 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 12:50 PM #15 of 20
Confirmed for the US (by Ubisoft i believe). LINK

And for those who are saying we should just play our real guitars, i dont think thats a fair statement. Some of us dont have a guitar, or just plain cant play one as well as the DS could.

Sure we would all like to play a real guitar, but for those who cant, or just want to play in a car or even for composing puroposes, i think its awsome.

FELIPE NO
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"

Last edited by Cat9; May 30, 2007 at 03:57 PM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:31 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 03:31 PM #16 of 20
Pretty weird that Ubisoft would be the ones to pick this up, maybe they finally realized nobody wants the thirty eight million virtual pet DS games they put out each month. Maybe!

Also ultra bland Euro box art ahoy. This'll sell copies of the game for sure.

Thread title changed.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 01:37 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 11:37 PM #17 of 20
Quote:
Wow, is that the actual in-game interface? It looks like shit. Also, they forgot Bm7b5, not to mention every chord not in the C major scale.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:26 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 12:26 AM #18 of 20
Wow, is that the actual in-game interface? It looks like shit. Also, they forgot Bm7b5, not to mention every chord not in the C major scale.
This is just a pure guess, but maybe the "UP" and "DOWN" on the sides is to switch chords? Like with the L/R Buttons.

I agree though, the Interface looks like it was made by a 12 year old.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:16 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 09:16 PM #19 of 20
It's a unique tool which I'm sure there will be a select few to find it fantastic, making their own youtube videos and such, but to others it'll just be another Electroplankton and all contemporary feeling of the design is gone out the window.

I don't think this will sell well.

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:34 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2007, 01:34 AM #20 of 20
Well, I tried DS Guitar and from what I've experienced, it's a pretty funky thing. You can map out whatever chords you want for the d-pad. There are 8 places but if you hold L or R, you got another set of 8. There are also a host of other small options (although at the moment I can't remember any of them) but with the inability to save anything is its weakest.

I heard though that Jam Sessions will include save and a lot more little options (such as reverb, chorus, high pass etc.) than the Jap release. From what I've tried, it's a good indication of something sweet. Although it wouldn't be more than a niche piece of software, either way.

For guitarists, DS Guitar/Jam Sessions might seem really stupid but for the rest of us and for those who love experimentation, Jam Sessions (DS Guitar not so much) might be worth investing in when it comes out. It really ain't that bad. It never intended to be a complete simulation, but really, the essence of Jam Sessions/DS Guitar is similar to Electroplankton.

Speaking of Guitar Hero, after playing this game I reckon it could work, actually. ARE YOU LISTENING, RED OCTANE/ACTIVISION?

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] DS Guitar / Jam Sessions