Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] Wii console modchips?

Unforgiven
How do I reach this fucking orb?

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:37 AM #1 of 9
Wii console modchips?

I was thinking of buying a Wii and put a modchip in it so I was wondering if anyone had experience with them? Are they any good or should I wait before getting one?

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:44 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 01:44 AM #2 of 9
I've been curious about these as well. They seem like they could be a waste of money since Nintendo rolls out online firmware updates.

Wii games are simply pressed onto regular DVDs, correct? I'm a little curious why Nintendo didn't stick with their backwards-reading discs ala Gamecube.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:36 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 09:36 AM #3 of 9
Depends on what you're trying to do with said modchip. Region-free? Playing backup games?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:50 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2007, 12:50 AM #4 of 9
Wii Key, is awesome~ I've got mine modded, i can basically just update my firmware, the only problem is knowing your region and before playing a game, research if that certain game has "Updates" because it will definitely brick your wii.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:30 PM #5 of 9
I've been curious about these as well. They seem like they could be a waste of money since Nintendo rolls out online firmware updates.

Wii games are simply pressed onto regular DVDs, correct? I'm a little curious why Nintendo didn't stick with their backwards-reading discs ala Gamecube.
Er... GCN disc are DVDs too just in their mini size. And I think the Wii reads the data backwards too since GCN and Wii disc are soemwhat identical.

I would also suggest Wiikey. I had heard lots of praise about it and are thinking about getting it too... but maybe down the road later so they can get any other bugs fix in the future.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Unforgiven

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 02:52 PM #6 of 9
I'll be using it to play backup games mainly.

What do you mean by "updates"?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:03 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 01:03 PM #7 of 9
I'll be using it to play backup games mainly.

What do you mean by "updates"?
Just like the PS3, online firmware updates are deployed to add new features or fixes to the console. It's also a really good way to disable a console that's been modded.

If a simple software update hidden into a game could null the use of a mod, it's really not a great investment in my opinion.

FELIPE NO
Unforgiven

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:10 PM #8 of 9
I see.

Is there a website that lists those said updates beforehand? (One that tells us which update is fine and which isn't.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:31 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 09:31 PM #9 of 9
http://psx-scene.com/wii/portal.php?styleid=45

This site was home to an enormous community of PS2 modchip users back in the day, and now they are moving into PS3 and Wii.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] Wii console modchips?